Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

stephenthinkpad posted:

If Trump stay in White House for a few more years, we Chinese Americans probably will find new homes in a camp. I know the current Chinese American population is near 4 million. what was the Japanese American population during WW2? Trying to calculate if Trump has enough budget to build the camps.

that’s dark as gently caress but I’m sure you could crunch some numbers on those southern migrant camps for inspiration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

If Trump stay in White House for a few more years, we Chinese Americans probably will find new homes in a camp. I know the current Chinese American population is near 4 million. what was the Japanese American population during WW2? Trying to calculate if Trump has enough budget to build the camps.

Lol elaine chao is Mitch's wife, yall will be fine. Mexicans are already in camps, worry about them.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Lol elaine chao is Mitch's wife, yall will be fine. Mexicans are already in camps, worry about them.

She's Taiwanese

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am considering changing my last name to "Tsai" or "Nguyen".

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Antonymous posted:

She's Taiwanese

Are you talking Chinese American or Chinese nationals in America?

Unlike 1942 Japanese nowadays Chinese (Han) Americans are woven pretty tightly into the US power structure. You might get more racist assholes openly loving with you but you wont have state repression.

Chinese students and H1Bs are in a pretty shaky spot though. I can see some fuckery ahead for them.

Ferdinand the Bull has issued a correction as of 23:35 on Sep 11, 2020

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Texan Judge James C. Ho was even on Trump's SCOTUS shortlist

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:31 on Mar 23, 2021

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

sincx posted:

For the hawks, Taiwanese are "Good Asians" (aka from a US vassal state).

Good Asians get to be wives for powerful white people (who will constantly talk about their Asian wife and their one black friend [a Thomas clone]).

Bad Asians go in camps.

Lol whatever. Chinese have lived here before Taiwan was a thing

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I was checking out the China-Laos railway project progress on a YouTube today and came across a guy talking about it. His YouTube handle was "American Rail Club" or something but he spent 2/3 of the video ranting about China and recommend the "China Uncensored" channel. At first I was confused because hating China was a weird position for a railroad fan to take and he looked Hispanic. But soon he explained he is Cuban and his parents got kicked out by Castro.

So it seems like the Taiwanese Americans are basically Asian version of Cubans living in Florida.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

I mean, honeslty, if you want to doom amd gloom about the state of Chinese in America, Im not going to stop you. Times are hard, knock yourself out. If it gives you meaning I wont take that away from you.

Ferdinand the Bull has issued a correction as of 01:03 on Sep 12, 2020

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

So it seems like the Taiwanese Americans are basically Asian version of Cubans living in Florida.

No this is pretty wrong. Taiwan still exists and they can go back and run a business or w/e. There's no Taiwanese gusanos displaced from their plantations, and there's no strong political streak in the taiwanese-american identity afaik. Andrew Yang is Taiwanese American, so is Elain Chao and this trump judge, though I think Yang was born in the US.

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Are you talking Chinese American or Chinese nationals in America?

Elain Chao and this trump judge would have had ROC passports at some point, never PRC. idk if you think some cuban who joins the republican party has a racial duty to protect latin american kids detained by ICE, but obviously it doesn't bear out

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Antonymous posted:

No this is pretty wrong. Taiwan still exists and they can go back and run a business or w/e. There's no Taiwanese gusanos displaced from their plantations, and there's no strong political streak in the taiwanese-american identity afaik. Andrew Yang is Taiwanese American, so is Elain Chao and this trump judge, though I think Yang was born in the US.

Elain Chao and this trump judge would have had ROC passports at some point, never PRC. idk if you think some cuban who joins the republican party has a racial duty to protect latin american kids detained by ICE, but obviously it doesn't bear out

Dude, what exactly are you worried about? Do you think there is going to be an organized pogrom against Chinese in America? What's the big fear?

Im an American, but ethnically a Russian Jew. Ive noticed more anti-Russian anti-Jew stuff recently, but Im not worried about the government. You should relax, things are hosed, but it is survivable.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

sincx posted:

For the hawks, Taiwanese are "Good Asians" (aka from a US vassal state).

Good Asians get to be wives for powerful white people (who will constantly talk about their Asian wife and their one black friend [a Thomas clone]).

Bad Asians go in camps.

hey sup

edit: or should I say jia ba buei

GoutPatrol has issued a correction as of 03:14 on Sep 12, 2020

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Hokkien is such a cool sounding langauge I bought some books but I'm hosed to learn it. I can say like 10 phrases and count and that's all this whitey will ever learn

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Antonymous posted:

And what will happen when China unify Taiwan in 20 years? And president elected Lai Ching-te establish Republic of Taiwan government in exile in the US? Just throw a number out soon enough that everyone on this thread is still alive.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 04:38 on Sep 12, 2020

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/comradekelley/status/1304837535189864448?s=20

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

My god no one has ever actually escaped or survived the camps... :stare:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

cgtn is an unimpeachable source

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

indigi posted:

cgtn is an unimpeachable source

I live in America and it's pretty much my only source of actual real news lmao

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

you know i can understand general skepticism of cgtv but when that logic extends to assuming that the people they have on to debunk these claims are impostors youre literally engaging in a dumber version of the crisis actor conspiracy theory

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

you know i can understand general skepticism of cgtv but when that logic extends to assuming that the people they have on to debunk these claims are impostors youre literally engaging in a dumber version of the crisis actor conspiracy theory

nah crisis actor is dumber

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

The problem is at least one side has to be lying here, they're not both right. Either ETIM/NED/whoever is coercing people, or the CCP is.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

half of these claims involve people being dead while the ccps counterclaim is that they are in fact alive

coercion i could buy but necromancy is stretching it just a little

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Unlike how it's being presented there, it's never good news when a family's members disagree with each other about whether one of their own is dead. Whether because of threats or bribes to everyone on one side.

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020
https://twitter.com/profwolff/status/1303721827152400385?s=21

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

American capitalism cannot escape being crushed by Chinese capitalism

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/oz_f/status/1305269006492815360?s=20

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Looks like Tiktok is not selling

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...urce=reddit.com

It reads like Bytedance is getting a management company to run the US accounts. And also dare Trump go out of his way to sanction Tiktok.

Also ARM is sold. A lot of news tonight.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:31 on Mar 23, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1305408179216539648

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

how is the spider web analogy in conflict with the idea of causality it sounds like a more complicated version of causality which acknowledges that single actions can affect multiple things at once in ways that arent always easy to predict

this is like saying the inscrutable orientals have mastered the occult idea of object permanence something completely irrelevant to our daily lives and theyve only been tricked into thinking its important by centuries of neoconfucian brainwashing

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

oh whats this crap about buying cultural hegemony through hollywood is he talking about that stupid mulan movie which no one in china cared about or liked and which is literally a remake of a movie that came out a decade before anybody gave a poo poo about the chinese market

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Sometimes Chinese investors force a pop star or chinese celeb onto a hollywood film, where they end up a featured extra. Tencent and Wanda are spending money, wouldn't call it a bid for cultural hegemony.

I watched that Bruce Willis film that got banned a few years ago and it's like cringey bad. Incompetent editing, storytelling, CGI. Bruce Willis doesn't even act he just says his lines deadpan (no joke). I've seen a lot of trashy chinese films and its easily one of the most embarrassing. It won't be a battle for hegemony for a long time, sadly.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

how is the spider web analogy in conflict with the idea of causality it sounds like a more complicated version of causality which acknowledges that single actions can affect multiple things at once in ways that arent always easy to predict

this is like saying the inscrutable orientals have mastered the occult idea of object permanence something completely irrelevant to our daily lives and theyve only been tricked into thinking its important by centuries of neoconfucian brainwashing

It's a racist stereotype yeah, though it doesn't specify that one is better. Westerners use logic, go down lists of problems and solve them in order, mechanical thinking. Chinese will table hard problems to solve easy problems, which might make hard problems easier when you get to them. Don't stick to rigid logic, just consider benefit / cost. I've heard those from business people in asia.

I think that both cultures do both in about equal frequency. Everyone wants to be a china-explainer tho

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Some Guy TT posted:

oh whats this crap about buying cultural hegemony through hollywood is he talking about that stupid mulan movie which no one in china cared about or liked and which is literally a remake of a movie that came out a decade before anybody gave a poo poo about the chinese market

White people are terrified of minorities in every real including Hollywood movies unless it's something safe like Asian women telling their stories of how they were rescued from repression by white men. That's literally all there is to it.

There's a whole white media complex writing elaborate editorials trying to tap dance around this topic in the same way they do re: anything about China. Just an industry churning out millions of pages of bumpf every day about how they're "not racist but" but if you've lived in it your whole life then it becomes normal even if you're not white.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Imperialism is out of control

https://twitter.com/eurodiplomat/status/1304547478394601472

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

Some Guy TT posted:

Disney, one of America’s largest media corporations known for its impact on culture, is heavily invested in China; they’re willfully self-censoring content for the Chinese government in exchange for the massive movie market there. Ever notice how big American movies released in China are almost always play it safe, by the numbers trash with nothing to say like The MCU and Fast & Furious films?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

lol that the ideological battle being waged on how much american capitalists should cater to chinese culture and politics boils down to Number Up vs Racism

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

comedyblissoption posted:

lol that the ideological battle being waged on how much american capitalists should cater to chinese culture and politics boils down to Number Up vs Racism

The Fast & Furious franchise is successful internationally in large part because it has the most racially diverse cast of any major movie franchise by far, in addition to being generally good action movies. So obviously it's worthless schlock that must make room for the inner monologue of some white guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It appears that Yoshihide Suga has won the LDP election and will become Japan's next PM. Suga was one of Abe's top men so it looks like Japan will likely continue its current right-wing swing. Suge is also known for using the full might of the bureaucracy against people who slight him so expect heavy shakeups. I fully expect Japan will have a vote on repealing article 9 within the next five years, likely sped along by Suga's willingness to gently caress with dissenters.

Grapplejack has issued a correction as of 20:25 on Sep 14, 2020