Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Nice house but that area gets nailed with floods from the Susquehanna River

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I’ve had the most success when I take edibles and listen to bjork

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

It’s HDF core with 0.6mm hardwood over the top, with a clear finish layer and cork sub layer. It just seems...cheap, hard. Like a commercial building.

The dog’s nails just scratched the poo poo out of the previous house’s wood. It wasn’t anything special, that house was built in 2013.

This house though has been an ongoing thought process. I’m in no way set on replacing the current floor—we believe it might be original to the house, or even pre-date it, in which case it’s staying.

The concern is that it’s been refinished so much it’s very thin and can’t be refinished again, and fitting reclaimed pine into the budget would be hard.

If you like the look of it and the hardness seems adequate, go for it. The thing about pine is it's so soft, the distressed look has been very en vogue, and a lot of new installs will beat the crap out of it with chains, etc. to get that- and then rub stain into the scars and scratches. Maybe not in your house...

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "Mediterranean" built between 1910 and 1940

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7001-Bethel-Way-S-Saint-Petersburg-FL-33712/47068683_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/40-Ocean-Ave-Monmouth-Beach-NJ-07750/39341775_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1498-Sevilla-Ave-Coral-Gables-FL-33134/43915036_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1309-Woodhill-Dr-Chattanooga-TN-37405/41414028_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4731-Pine-Tree-Dr-Miami-Beach-FL-33140/43889404_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1505-Monte-Vista-Rd-Santa-Barbara-CA-93108/15879712_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/142-Palm-Ave-Miami-Beach-FL-33139/43908488_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/147-Kingsland-Ave-Brooklyn-NY-11222/30623747_zpid/
[img]https://i.imgur.com/iOnfUDN.jpg[/img

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/577-Ocean-Blvd-Golden-Beach-FL-33160/44021671_zpid/ it's that image of Ralph Wiggum on the bus saying "I'm in danger" but in house form

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

actionjackson posted:

A page or two ago I mentioned my friend asking me for help buying a house in Seattle. She told me she really loved this house

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Seattle/1229-NE-89th-St-98115/home/110213

She told me to be as blunt and direct as possible, so in that fashion I told her it was way too big for them (she said she wanted 1500-2000 sq feet)

The reasons why I think this house is bloated to 2400 square feet are the oversized living room and oversized kitchen, with no less 29 than drawers and cupboards. On a minor note, do you really need that sized dining room and two fireplaces? but at least the dining room is small-ish.

I did the math using the 400/sq feet cost (which is cheap for Seattle, lol), and found that if they got a similar house without a third bedroom, and that bedroom was small like 100 square feet, that would save them 65K with interest.

If they got a 1500 sq. foot home instead of 2400 sq. foot home that would save them 558K loving DOLLARS with interest (360K principal).

(this is all using the default 20% down payment etc. in the calc on the page)

the extra interest itself on an additional 900 sq. feet is more than the principal on my entire home lol

That seems like an ordinary modest home? If they can afford it I don't see what the problem is. It's not like they're buying a McMansion, that's a normal home. Most people don't want to be squeezed into tiny spaces, having generously sized rooms is a bonus to most people.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

I somehow came across this (https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/10-Pheasant-Dr_Lawrenceville_IL_62439_M82079-74002#photo0) 8,800 square foot, $800,000 mcmansion in the city of Lawrenceville, IL, which is in a county with 16,000 people total and a median household income of $37,000.

Excellent fit with surroundings

Even better on the backside, see if you can spot the door to nowhere!

No sheets here

Don't even know where to start with this bathroom

My last apartment was smaller than this bedroom

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

That seems like an ordinary modest home? If they can afford it I don't see what the problem is. It's not like they're buying a McMansion, that's a normal home. Most people don't want to be squeezed into tiny spaces, having generously sized rooms is a bonus to most people.

Nah most people want their daily life to be a game of tetris. Especially when they never get to leave home and will be working from home for a long time.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Booley posted:

Nah most people want their daily life to be a game of tetris. Especially when they never get to leave home and will be working from home for a long time.

just lol if you have so much poo poo you’re scooting around it in your ‘daily life’

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

PRADA SLUT posted:

just lol if you have so much poo poo you’re scooting around it in your ‘daily life’

Just lol if you don't have servants to scoot your poo poo around in your 'daily life"

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

did you read my post? she said she wanted at least 1500 sq ft, with 1500-2000 being ideal. their apartment right now is like 750-800 sf and she told me the space was fine.

All I was pointing out was the math on how much you are paying to get that extra space, like PRADA SLUT has pointed out before.

In the end, sure maybe they would actually like all that extra space. But just do the math and realize how much you are paying for it before deciding. And given it's Seattle, the answer is "a loving shitload."

lastly, 2400 is about average for a newly detached home, but that has gone WAYYYYYY UP since the 1950s, when it was <1000. So yes it's ordinary, but only because the goalposts have been moved so much.

Booley posted:

I have 982 sf, including a large entry which I really don't utilize at all except for storing my bike, and I have tons of space because I don't own a bunch of poo poo I don't need. I could continue to WFH as I've been doing since March in like 750-800 easily. I utilize the "living room" which is the 12x20 space below for almost everything during the day, it has my desk, a sofa, a media unit, a counter stool for the kitchen counter, and a few lamps and plants. that's it.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 13, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I know plenty of people who are perfectly happy in 1000 square feet. I also know that when house shopping you really tend to underestimate your space requirements if you’re coming from a tiny cramped apartment, and once you start looking adjusting your space estimate upwards isn’t all that rare. 2400 square feet is the finished, habitable space in the 1910s foursquare we ended up buying, and this is on the smaller side of foursquares in my city.

Tiny detached houses in the US are largely a product of the 1940s/50s suburban boom and they’re not for everyone, especially if you have hobbies that can’t pack down into shoeboxes. It’s ok to want space to live in.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

corgski posted:

I know plenty of people who are perfectly happy in 1000 square feet. I also know that when house shopping you really tend to underestimate your space requirements if you’re coming from a tiny cramped apartment, and once you start looking adjusting your space estimate upwards isn’t all that rare. 2400 square feet is the finished, habitable space in the 1910s foursquare we ended up buying, and this is on the smaller side of foursquares in my city.

Tiny detached houses in the US are largely a product of the 1940s/50s suburban boom and they’re not for everyone, especially if you have hobbies that can’t pack down into shoeboxes. It’s ok to want space to live in.

As I said, if she really needs that much space fine, but she and her husband are like me in that they don't have a lot of stuff and very little clutter, and she initially mentioned 1500 sf. With this house she said the larger space would be good for "events" but what about the rest of the year? is it worth paying an extra >500K for that? that's an absolutely insane amount of money. Just continue to rent until you find a better match. I found a few houses in the area that were ~1500 SF that were several hundred K cheaper.

The increase in housing sizes is because people have acquired more and more stuff. Minneapolis is full of neighborhoods with <1000 SF houses because they were built immediately after WWII. My mother grew up in one with her four siblings and it was fine.

I asked her to think about the size of the rooms in her current place, and then use that as a basis for how much space she would need if she added a 2nd br and bath. Based on that, 1500 SF would suit them very well.

I got the impression from her that it was more like "oh this is a cool looking house and location" and the fact that it was bigger than her specified SF range wasn't really a big deal because she is seeing it at as an investment property, so number go up etc.

here's a home that I linked to her that is 1300 SF, but is 400K cheaper!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7411-9th-Ave-NE-Seattle-WA-98115/49115218_zpid/

with all that money you could pretty easily afford to remodel that ugly kitchen

1350 SF with a nicer kitchen https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/904-N-61st-St-Seattle-WA-98103/2077990333_zpid/

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 13, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

actionjackson posted:

The increase in housing sizes is because people have acquired more and more stuff. Minneapolis is full of neighborhoods with <1000 SF houses because they were built immediately after WWII. My mother grew up in one with her four siblings and it was fine.

Right, built immediately after WWII - that was an anomalous period in the US, houses predating the post-war boom were often much larger.

corgski fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 13, 2020

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I know nothing about Seattle, but I do see that you keep switching between “she” and “them.” Is this person married? Planning on kids? Likes the location?

O thing about that place feels extravagant to me. The rooms are big? Great! It’s nice to have large rooms when you live with other people.

Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

Hey you! It's the sound, in your head goes round and round

corgski posted:

I know plenty of people who are perfectly happy in 1000 square feet.

My bungalow is 800 sq ft. Any more and I'd hoard more shite

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I'd love 1500sq ft. Right now we live in 1294sq ft, from the 1960s, and a few of the rooms are juuuuust small enough that modern big-house furniture doesn't quite fit right. On the plus side, it means I have every excuse to buy vintage furniture.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

TheMadMilkman posted:

The rooms are big? Great! It’s nice to have large rooms when you live with other people.

:wrong:

big houses are a waste of money, a waste of resources, waste of infrastructure, encourage buying cheap poo poo to fill them, and have a negative impact on interpersonal interactions with your family

from the philosopher kate hell:

quote:

The fact is, big houses can make us feel incredibly isolated. (The McMansion is a small scale version of what critics of sprawl attribute to modern suburbia, which is entirely reliant on the car to do everything from go shopping to visit friends.)

A family of four in a 6,000 square-foot house can go days at a time without having to interact with each other in any real respect. When I was in the sixth grade, I remember visiting a friend who, rather than traverse down the massive, useless staircase, would text her mother, who was making dinner in the kitchen, or her sister who was 4 (mostly empty) rooms away.

Being able to hide away from the woes of family life hinders our ability to cope with others and learn important skills like conflict resolution, anger management, and empathy. In the house I grew up in, (1800 square feet, one story, 3bed/2ba, four people) my sister had to deal with my practicing the violin, and I had to deal with my sister’s incessant horror movie binges at top volume, and we all had to deal with my dad when he got way too into surround sound.

The (mostly BS) accusations older generations make about Millennials is that they are overly-sensitive and mollycoddled; stuck in a perpetual childlike mentality. Those generations’ decision to isolate their children from the comings and goings of everyday life, including exposure to people different than themselves out of a combination of fear and prejudice no doubt has had some adverse effects on their children.

Diversity is more than just racial quotas and pretty words - it’s an active participation in the world around us, interacting with people who come from backgrounds different than ours. Monocultures benefit no one.

The rise of the gated community and certain financial restrictions (e.g. building a community of houses in a certain price range to deter “riff-raff”) since the 1980s are just two of many ways people used property and planning to keep out undesirables (read: practicing legal racial prejudice), resulting in an echo-chamber NIMBY (”not in my backyard!”) mentality.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
She is talking about 6000 sq ft suburban McMansions, which, yes, are too big.

This conversation is about a 2400 sq ft 3BR in a walkable neighborhood.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Oh no I would definitely hate to have room for various hobbies without it interfering with the normal living space

That would be awful

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Anne Whateley posted:

oh okay, so only 1.25x the size of the average 50's home for each person, that makes more sense

and being 'walkable' makes it even more laughable, as walkability means you have access to public areas that reduce the need for compartmentalized living. at least McMansions with their own basketball courts and neglected landscaping are 55 miles away from the nearest actual basketball court or public park

The Bloop posted:

Oh no I would definitely hate to have room for various hobbies without it interfering with the normal living space

That would be awful

oh those rooms are for hobbies? well that's totally different, I thought we were talking about space that people could live in

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

TheMadMilkman posted:

I know nothing about Seattle, but I do see that you keep switching between “she” and “them.” Is this person married? Planning on kids? Likes the location?

O thing about that place feels extravagant to me. The rooms are big? Great! It’s nice to have large rooms when you live with other people.

oh sorry, I'm talking to the wife, yes it's a couple and yes they plan to have a child, and definitely no more than one.

corgski posted:

Right, built immediately after WWII - that was an anomalous period in the US, houses predating the post-war boom were often much larger.

but they've continued to get bigger every decade - so what is the explanation for that? as I recall it's been approximately linear each decade, from like 930 to 2400 now.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 14, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

actionjackson posted:

but they've continued to get bigger every decade - so what is the explanation for that?

It's entirely unrelated to immediate post-war house size. But one would assume that it was the same logical progression that made this happen pre-war.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

oh okay, so only 1.25x the size of the average 50's home for each person, that makes more sense

I think you meant to say 2.5x

Anne Whateley posted:

prada is right about being in a walkable neighborhood meaning there is less need for home space.

I never said that this house my friend was interested in was a mcmansion or anything like that. However it was significantly outside of the parameters that she specified to me. AND given that she is in one of the most expensive housing markets in the country, going even a bit larger is a HUGE price increase. You could literally just pay for visitors to stay at the four seasons or some poo poo for a fraction of how much you'd save buying something smaller.

The Bloop posted:

That would be awful

I can't think of many hobbies that would necessitate a large increase in home size. Maybe a pool table?

But again even in those cases, how much are you willing to pay for it? Hundreds of thousands of dollars? Probably not.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 14, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I can't think of many hobbies that would necessitate a large increase in home size. Maybe a pool table?

But again even in those cases, how much are you willing to pay for it? Hundreds of thousands of dollars? Probably not.

My hobby is collecting and restoring vintage computers. My fiance's hobbies include metal music and collecting taxidermy. These things could technically fit in a 1500 square ft house if you kept them all packed away and out of sight all the time except for when you were actually using them, but that adds a lot of extra labor to engaging in your hobby and defeats the entire point of having a collection. More space means you can keep your workspace set up and display things, which is not an unreasonable thing to want.

The added cost is absolutely a concern, but

PRADA SLUT posted:

oh those rooms are for hobbies? well that's totally different, I thought we were talking about space that people could live in

2400 square feet isn't an obscene McMansion deserving of mockery.

corgski fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 14, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

edit: ok i'll just let him respond

vvv

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 14, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Sorry, that second part was intended for Prada! I wasn't clear.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

PRADA SLUT posted:

Okay, so what she's promoting is an 1800 sq ft 3BR, which is good and virtuous. The house we're talking about is a 2400 sq ft 3BR, which obviously is decadent bourgeois guillotine immediately your family will hate you and you're probably racist. What's the dividing line?

quote:

and being 'walkable' makes it even more laughable, as walkability means you have access to public areas that reduce the need for compartmentalized living. at least McMansions with their own basketball courts and neglected landscaping are 55 miles away from the nearest actual basketball court or public park
I grew up in the middle of nowhere. Rural and suburban areas actually have much more access to green space, parks, sports fields, etc. because towns still have parks and recreation centers, and there are many fewer people trying to use them. But of course it's completely irrelevant since this house doesn't have a basketball court or anything similar, it's just another thing to scream about.

If your complaint is that suburbs take up too much space, require cars, cause pollution, etc. (all true), then being in a walkable neighborhood would only be a plus.

In before "you're just trying to justify your own evil lifestyle": I've never owned a car and I live in a ~440 sq ft studio. However, I have a piano in it, so maybe I do deserve the guillotine

actionjackson posted:

I never said that this house my friend was interested in was a mcmansion or anything like that. However it was significantly outside of the parameters that she specified to me. AND given that she is in one of the most expensive housing markets in the country, going even a bit larger is a HUGE price increase. You could literally just pay for visitors to stay at the four seasons or some poo poo for a fraction of how much you'd save buying something smaller.
yeah I'm also responding to Prada, not to you. It's fine to have different priorities and to point them out, it's just really boring to constantly poo poo on people whose priorities are different but not even evil.

I also feel like "definitely only one kid" is liable to change. Ymmv but I assume that a couple looking at a $1m house is probably a little older, and twins are more likely if fertility treatments are on the table, for example. I know a lot of "only one!!" families that have wound up with a couple kids either that way or oopses. Obviously you can fit two kids in a room if necessary (ask me about sharing a room with my younger brother!). The whole thing is just about what the space is worth to her/them.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

This person if she did have kids would be having them in the next year or so... maybe wait to see how many you have first, if any :)

also as I posted before, there are several 3brs in the area that are only 1300-1350 sf

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Important note that while houses were larger pre-WW2, the percentage of people who actually owned and lived in single-family houses was much smaller. Having a home of one's own as a middle-class norm is a post-war American economy thing (as is the concept of a large middle-class in the first place but that's another subject. For the factory workers, farm laborers, immigrants, domestic servants, and others on the lower rungs of capitalism boarding houses, tenements, factory-owned dormitories, sharecropper shacks, and the like were much more common. Most of these were not built to last a long time or were converted to other kinds of housing later on, so the aristocratic mansions and lodges tended to survive them.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
the house in question isn't in the suburbs, it's like three miles from the edge of downtown seattle, so 'walkability' isn't some exclusive selling point for a place like that. My place has a 'walk score' of 99, and even that isn't special since that's the same for everyone in the city. I agree that more people should live in areas that don't require the use of a car to be a participant in society, but it's we're talking about a house in the largest metropolitan area in the pacific northwest.

furthermore, suburban areas only have 'more' public spaces if you drive to the majority of them, which defeats the point of available access (and again, gates everyones lifestyle by a required' optional expense of a car)

corgski posted:

2400 square feet isn't an obscene McMansion deserving of mockery.

it's not, but it is if you don't need it

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

actionjackson posted:

This person if she did have kids would be having them in the next year or so... maybe wait to see how many you have first, if any :)

also as I posted before, there are several 3brs in the area that are only 1300-1350 sf

You seem way too preoccupied with some arbitrary square footage number that you deem “too big.”

Now, that particular house should be rejected for a number of other reasons. The layout is garbage, one of the upstairs bedrooms doesn’t actually have a closet, and the kitchen’s layout sucks. But all of those issues are just as likely to exist in a smaller home.

On the plus side, there is a real dining room, and the front room is large enough that you could create a separate area for the entrance so that it doesn’t feel like you walk straight into the front room.

Also, I’m pretty sure that’s the kind of feedback tour friend actually wanted. Unless, of course, the question was really “tell me if you think this place is too big.”

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

“Need” is an interesting word coming from someone who buys designer clothes hampers.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

For over $3 million dollars, in a state that gets snow, I would expect a paved driveway and a garage. Otherwise, I love this house.

Did the builder run out of money?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

TheMadMilkman posted:

You seem way too preoccupied with some arbitrary square footage number that you deem “too big.”

Now, that particular house should be rejected for a number of other reasons. The layout is garbage, one of the upstairs bedrooms doesn’t actually have a closet, and the kitchen’s layout sucks. But all of those issues are just as likely to exist in a smaller home.

On the plus side, there is a real dining room, and the front room is large enough that you could create a separate area for the entrance so that it doesn’t feel like you walk straight into the front room.

Also, I’m pretty sure that’s the kind of feedback tour friend actually wanted. Unless, of course, the question was really “tell me if you think this place is too big.”

I mean she wanted my advice on what house to get and discussed what she was thinking for square footage so.... yes

I did make comments on room size etc. as well, I didn't just literally reply with "that's over 2k sf so it sux"

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

Let the people who are actually going to live in those houses decide if they need it instead of deciding for them.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

corgski posted:

Let the people who are actually going to live in those houses decide if they need it instead of deciding for them.

no one is stopping people from buying houses of whatever size, but you have to admit a lot of people live in oversized houses, probably due to conspicuous consumption.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the the day is "tiny house"

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/74-Chestnut-Cove-Rd-Robbinsville-NC-28771/194735670_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/37680-Glacier-View-Dr-Polson-MT-59860/116518256_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/165-Private-Road-8576-Winnsboro-TX-75494/2078049052_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2025-Trade-St-SE-Salem-OR-97301/53033239_zpid/ the cork wall covering thing is not a good look imo

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1533-Mansfield-Ave-Missoula-MT-59801/3132467_zpid/ Is Missoula MT really that expensive? Like this is cute but not $550k cute.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/304-Bayview-Dr-Stumpy-Point-NC-27978/228628057_zpid/ Like 99% of small beach houses on the east coast are trailers on postage stamp lots in a resort so this little guy on half an acre in OBX is pretty extraordinary. Not sure if the rip-rap is enough to hold back the rising seas though.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/301-E-Townline-Rd-7-Lake-Geneva-WI-53147/2083516591_zpid/ little red caboose (chug chug chug)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/510-Greenhouse-Rd-Lexington-VA-24450/2078900404_zpid/ literal fairytale cottage :3:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol that MT house sold two years ago for 220K

I mean it looks like they literally professionally redesigned the entire place with high end stuff but still

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

actionjackson posted:

no one is stopping people from buying houses of whatever size, but you have to admit a lot of people live in oversized houses, probably due to conspicuous consumption.
How much did you spend on your tv stand again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'd rather my consumption be as INconspicuous as possible, frankly, but someone wanting a room specifically for sewing or painting or whatever seems more constructive to me than spending a thousand dollars on your floor lamp or whatever

Basically, let people decide for themselves what they value and don't be a paternalistic clod