Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

digital penitence fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Finally finished this dang poster. Made the mistake of helping my girlfriend cut her grass and used a string trimmer for a couple hours. My hands were jittery/shaking for a couple days, so there was no way I was gonna try painting like that, glad it's finished. Feel like it took me too long overall tbh. Need to get it scanned, get some prints run off, and get it framed.

Wondering if i should apply a layer of matte fixative.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

dog nougat posted:

Finally finished this dang poster. Made the mistake of helping my girlfriend cut her grass and used a string trimmer for a couple hours. My hands were jittery/shaking for a couple days, so there was no way I was gonna try painting like that, glad it's finished. Feel like it took me too long overall tbh. Need to get it scanned, get some prints run off, and get it framed.

This is excellent and I love it very much.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Wanna go to that circus!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Moar coasters.
Playing around with staining wood. Note to self: Gesso resists stains .... sorta.The white column is gesso with nothing. The blue column to the right of that is gesso plus stain and the dark blue column is stain with no gesso.

Also - white board makes a terrible material for coasters. The very white rabbit on the top right can't take any moisture at all or the white board bulges and warps.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 12, 2020

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Those are really cool!

When you say white board, do you mean like that dry erase marker stuff of something else? If you're having problems with moisture you could always give them a coat of shellac, lacquer, or an epoxy resin of some sort.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
A progress shot of the next in my budding "Kaiju attacking Austin, TX" lino series:

Also, I finally, sadly joined the club: this is the first time I drew blood while carving. :drac:

DickButt Shitlord
Oct 14, 2012
Hello everyone.

For the last several months I have been cooped up at home because of what is happening in the world. As the result I have had a lot of time to sit around and work on art. I do not have work right now also because of the virus. So I have had even more time to paint. But I have been without an audience for the most part. Until I remembered I can post stuff here. So here are some of the things I have done.This is the first real art I have made in years. I want to pursue a career. But I have no idea how to sell this stuff

the painting of the cityscape was stolen out of a friends car :( before it was finished and before it was properly photographed.

DickButt Shitlord fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 15, 2020

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

When getting your links from imgur, you want to select the 'bbcode' option, then when you paste the links into here, add a t in front of each img. Quote someone else's post that has images in to see how they do it.

I like these; what's the medium, acrylic?

DickButt Shitlord
Oct 14, 2012

Angrymog posted:

When getting your links from imgur, you want to select the 'bbcode' option, then when you paste the links into here, add a t in front of each img. Quote someone else's post that has images in to see how they do it.

I like these; what's the medium, acrylic?

Mixed media. I use a variety. Combinations of spray paint, paint pens mostly oil based. Several different brands, but "Painters" is probably my favorite, gouache, sharpies, and a few others I am probably forgetting.

Found the code thing I was looking for thank you for the help! Is posting large images together in the same post going to break tables and against the rules?

DickButt Shitlord fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 14, 2020

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Choda Dog posted:

Mixed media. I use a variety. Combinations of spray paint, paint pens mostly oil based. Several different brands, but "Painters" is probably my favorite, gouache, sharpies, and a few others I am probably forgetting.

Found the code thing I was looking for thank you for the help! Is posting large images together in the same post going to break tables and against the rules?

Not a mod, but I'm pretty sure that that's why we use the timg version of the img tag. Though I think you probably ought to split them up into seperate posts just for readability

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

I love your style! Makes me feel... warm, I think is the best way to put it.

On the other end of the spectrum, my quick & dirty proof of Kong yelling at Austin from top of the Frost Bank tower:

Need to clean up several places, but much better than I was hoping for.

DickButt Shitlord
Oct 14, 2012

Trabant posted:

I love your style! Makes me feel... warm, I think is the best way to put it.

Thank you. The fact that my paintings are provoking any sort of feeling makes me feel I am on to something. I have struggled with figuring out exactly what my style is and only recently have things gone from being a chore to being a pleasure.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Trabant posted:

^ Between your posts here and in the SDS thread, I absolutely love and recognize your style :)

Not my design, just a linocut print reproduction of an anti-drug patch I saw online:

I wanted a print of it but it's apparently a one-of-one found object so I had to make my own version. Many hours later... :negative:

Thanks! I post in like 3 - 4 threads for the most part, but I still come back and check to see if there are like....1-9 new posts if that :negative:

I dig that linocut, super cool! Speaking of SDS, it looks like it'd be a cool Eyehategod shirt. Linocuts are one of those things which I'd like to try my hand at, but then I figure that I can just appreciate the skillful artists I see instead of diluting my focus. Not that I'm averse to trying new media, it's just that I'll see some awesome stained glass or something and I get some cool ideas about what I might do, then I remember that I'd have to start with it as a novice so I'd be taking away from other productivity. See also: wanting to be able to play classical guitar or banjo, learning some of the fundamentals but realizing that I'd have to train for years to play "Recuerdos de la Alhambra"

sigma 6 posted:

Moar coasters.
Playing around with staining wood. Note to self: Gesso resists stains .... sorta.The white column is gesso with nothing. The blue column to the right of that is gesso plus stain and the dark blue column is stain with no gesso.

Also - white board makes a terrible material for coasters. The very white rabbit on the top right can't take any moisture at all or the white board bulges and warps.

These are awesome as always. I can't get over how great the burns look with lots of the clear coat on top (speaking of which I have to send you some prints, I'll do that soon!)

Here's a pen and ink + ink wash drawing I just did for my friend's 48 hour film competition. I'm not super pleased with it because they gave me their reference photos really late in the process so I only had a few hours to get it done before the deadline. I was trying to do somewhat of an homage to Sergio Toppi and I was pissed because I certainly didn't pull it off, but it would take me more time to have to develop an awesome composition like he did.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Zoben posted:

Thanks! I post in like 3 - 4 threads for the most part, but I still come back and check to see if there are like....1-9 new posts if that :negative:

I dig that linocut, super cool! Speaking of SDS, it looks like it'd be a cool Eyehategod shirt. Linocuts are one of those things which I'd like to try my hand at, but then I figure that I can just appreciate the skillful artists I see instead of diluting my focus. Not that I'm averse to trying new media, it's just that I'll see some awesome stained glass or something and I get some cool ideas about what I might do, then I remember that I'd have to start with it as a novice so I'd be taking away from other productivity. See also: wanting to be able to play classical guitar or banjo, learning some of the fundamentals but realizing that I'd have to train for years to play "Recuerdos de la Alhambra"

Thanks! I think your art would absolutely work well in relief prints, although given how detailed/intricate it gets, it might be better suited for woodcut than lino. That's a whole 'nother level of skill vs. what I've ever attempted, though.

I think someone like me who doesn't create art for a living can afford to be a dilettante and bounce from one hobby and craft to another. My corporate job doesn't care and I don't have to worry about taking time away from a more productive area of interest. So I end up doing exactly as you described: ooh linocut! / ooh woodworking! / ooh knifemaking! It just. goes. on.

And I'm not qualified to say whether you pulled off a Toppi homage, but I can tell you created a wonderful piece!

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Discord artdome piece progress

I have been forgetting to post, apologies.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Trabant suggested I post some stuff here so here goes. I do mostly just pen and ink for my own amusement and to put on Instagram for family and friends. I've done a few commissions and gifts over the years and have done a couple logos for professional societies and meetings (fish biology). Most of my stuff is drawn with stencils in mind, but I don't actually get all the way to that part very often any more.

I just did this one the other day for a friend who wanted a big sturgeon on his new research boat. It'll eventually be a stencil about 48" long.

I'm a really big fan of Zoben and also cartoons. This was a few recent nights of being stoned and cutting myself off of tv for a bit.

I picked up block printing again for the first time since high school. This was a lino block, and I sewed the handkerchief myself. I'd like to make more of these once I get better at printing textiles without a press.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hell yeah! If you tend to draw more than anything, the Daily Drawings thread would probably also be a great place to hang out, and I'm pretty sure it's more active than this one.

I'm horribly envious of how clean your work is, and the fact you got commissions really ought to tell you about how well it's perceived. As for printing on fabric, please do post if you figure it out. I have some mild interest in following the lino --> print --> vector --> t-shirt screen print path, but I wouldn't be opposed to block printing on tees instead. I just don't have any real confidence in my printing abilities. Or the space for it -- my printing station is a sliver of available kitchen counter :negative:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Thanks, I really get a lot of personal satisfaction out of doing stuff with bold clean lines.

Re: printing, I figured a few things out really quickly on my first handful of experiments.
1. Block printing is really not the best method for textiles, but it can be done.
2. Rubber blocks are pretty poo poo for textile. Lino worked better for me, but I had to go back and sharpen up a bunch of my cuts until I was just satisfied enough to go do something else for a while because it was still frustrating.
3. The fabric must be smooth, tight, and pinned down securely without being stretched. I clamped that handkerchief over a granite block I think.
4. The block needs exactly the right amount of pigment on it. I don't have any idea how to really dial this in other than doing it a bunch.
5. Even application of weight is key.

I had to talk myself out of getting a little screen printing kit. I think my wife would start to get irritated if I added that to the pile of art crap I leave out on the kitchen table and counters.

Will there be an inktober thread? I did that last year and enjoyed forcing myself to just draw something, no matter how simple, every day.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Ink pass. Finding it hard to find time to draw. Almost like carving out time to exercise and feeling guilty when I don't make the time. "Not drawing is emotional suicide"

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Will there be an inktober thread? I did that last year and enjoyed forcing myself to just draw something, no matter how simple, every day.

I enjoy lurking in those threads but get the impression that this subforum has slowed down a whole bunch since, you know, Lowtax.

The CC Discord (another place where I mostly lurk) might be the place where Inktober happens. The invite link is... Somewhere? If I can't find the post I'll link it myself later.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Invite link: https://discord.gg/25e2VpE
There is an artober channel with a series of prompt lists in there.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Keetron posted:

Invite link: https://discord.gg/25e2VpE
There is an artober channel with a series of prompt lists in there.

Yeah, we're not doing Inktober, but we're doign lots of different -tobers; Bot-tober, Thirst-tober, Tarotober, Slow-tober are the ones with lists so far.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Finally got around painting more.

https://twitter.com/arianimation/status/1309994296679038977?s=19

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

dog nougat posted:

I think I want this on my wall. What are the dimensions?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Claeaus posted:

Thanks! It's 7x14 for the original. Just got my prints yesterday in 11x17 considering cutting them down to legal size or something thereabouts for framing purposes. I'm gonna make a thread in SA-mart as soon as my gf brings them over to my house.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
hosed around with this watercolor for about an hour. From a photo I took at rialto beach a few year ago.

I hate water.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

It is nice, you done well.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

hosed around with this watercolor for about an hour. From a photo I took at rialto beach a few year ago.

I hate water.

This is great! I love the waves especially.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Thanks!

I've painted that a few times in different mediums over the last couple of years and its a good reminder that gettin good art is mostly just time put in. Im still not super happy with it so i'm gonna keep practicing because waves are just a pain and as much as I watch like eva wolf instragram vids on water my brain still just doesnt wanna do it right lol

One of these days i'll finish this. It's unfinished for about 2 years because the water stresses me out so hard. I also need to restart on the sky since I figured out cloud technique like halfway through that painting

However this was a water painting I did a few months back so I figured... its time to get back on this horse. I can fuckin do this. Lights and darks just like everything else. Middle ground it and work in and out.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

You have inspired me, I'm gonna pick up the watercolours again. Work went mad and I got exhausted and stopped but I find doing art actually *gives* me energy, so I should do it even if I feel tired, I reckon.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Here's a work in progress album cover I'm making for a goon's album It's really smudgy right now though.

You can click it to view a giant 600 dpi scan

8"x10", various layers of gel pen, fineliner, marker, acrylic and gouache

silicone thrills posted:

One of these days i'll finish this. It's unfinished for about 2 years because the water stresses me out so hard. I also need to restart on the sky since I figured out cloud technique like halfway through that painting

Please do finish that it's hella rad!!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

deep dish peat moss posted:

Here's a work in progress album cover I'm making for a goon's album It's really smudgy right now though.

You can click it to view a giant 600 dpi scan

8"x10", various layers of gel pen, fineliner, marker, acrylic and gouache

Please do finish that it's hella rad!!

That neon pink is just right! Pops really well. Guessing that was gel pen?

Really enjoy the overall composition and keep staring to find more. Really love it!

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Claeaus posted:

Finally got my crab prints in. Made a thread over in SA-Mart. Help me not starve!!
:yeeclaw:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

silicone thrills posted:

That neon pink is just right! Pops really well. Guessing that was gel pen?

Really enjoy the overall composition and keep staring to find more. Really love it!

Thank you! The pink went down as a layer of acrylic from an acrylic pen at first, but I ended up going over it again with a gel pen since I couldn't get the kind of detail I wanted with the bigger nub of the acrylic pen.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Another linocut print, this one based on the events/image seen here:

As I said elsewhere, I grew up in ex-Yugoslavia and remember when "Death to fascism, freedom to the people" went from being a serious call/response to a joke about the communists. And yet here I am, living in the US in TYOOL 2020, and this poo poo is more relevant than it's been in 75 years.

Think I'll go back to printing kaiju monsters attacking Austin, just needed to get this one out of me.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Really clean print. It's hard to convey emotion through lino but I think you did it. Feels good to do straight up passion project stuff.

I just got a pan of samples for neon watercolors from hydra color and I'm very excited. Not sure what I'm doing with them yet but I'm excited!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thank you -- that was probably the fastest idea-to-print I've ever done. Don't know if it was due to the relative simplicity or the all-consuming feeling of dread :shepicide:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Inktober sucks so instead of participating I've been challenging myself to use a non-ink medium each day, and I'm happy with the Lisa Frank hellscape I penciled out today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

dog nougat posted:

Finally got my crab prints in. Made a thread over in SA-Mart. Help me not starve!!
:yeeclaw:

Dang, with international shipping (I'm in Sweden) I think it's a bit too pricey for me. Looks like the prints are going fast though so hoping you won't be starving!