Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Synnr posted:

I mean it looked pretty garbage in the trailer I watched. I admit I didn't really investigate much more than the trailer though. what exactly threw you?

the pilot owned but when the pacing slowed down, the dialogue and plot are just kinda dumb. a couple main characters are unlikable. the robots are cool and the world/setting remains great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I watched that anime that the Chinese government made about Karl Marx on YouTube.

It's... something.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I love this Youtube clip of the director of a Homeland episode constantly referring to Russians as Soviets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZW3Y--Gkzw&t=15s

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Echo Chamber posted:

I watched that anime that the Chinese government made about Karl Marx on YouTube.

It's... something.

a name/post combo like that and you don’t fricking post your thoughts on it? for shame comrade

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Professorjuggalo posted:

a name/post combo like that and you don’t fricking post your thoughts on it? for shame comrade
I'm not the best guy to critique it. Viewing it as a dumb American who usually doesn't watch anime, I felt like it was decent with portraying the "broad strokes" of Marx's life devoid of any anti-communist propaganda that you would see in American media written by liberals.

And I didn't get too much vibes of pro-Xi revisionism either, with the exception of the epilogue. Mostly, this felt like something that could have been made by any government that's officially Marxist as a 101 on the man himself.

Though I'm pretty sure that Marx-Bakunin anime betrayal didn't happen like that.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I was just joshing to bang off that horrible joke, if anything that made me wanna watch it now so thank you

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

On top of all the hosed up politics in The Dark Knight Rises, I didn't remember than Bane literally kills some black soldier (or whatever authority figure he is) by kneeling on his neck.

Good job Nolan!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Despite being notoriously homogenized by studio control, I still think it's too much to say the MCU is this or that politically when it's run through so many writers and directors. You can have a film say X, then the next say. No actually X is bad and Y is good, and so on. The MCU Formula that people are getting sick of has a lot more to do with plot structure and endless quips than politics. Furthermore the MCU's weird format where it's run more like an endlessly syndicated T.V show than a movie franchise puts it in the same conundrum as real life comics. It's supposed to set in the real world, so the status quo not changing has a lot less to due with insidious Liberalism and more to due with the fact you couldn't tell a Spider-Man story in some crazy Sci-Fi future world without it being a one-off Days of Future Past style "Bad Timeline" story.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Professorjuggalo posted:

I was just joshing to bang off that horrible joke, if anything that made me wanna watch it now so thank you

Yung Marx is boring as gently caress and the cgi goes uncanny valley, don't bother

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/TheStuffOfMemes/status/1305207416439611394

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/TahirNasser/status/1305449575805841408

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im offended less about characters depicted doing violent things and more the improbable depiction of casual stomach removal as being practical for the sole sake of deceiving coroners as well as the assumption that coroners can so easily identify halal food in the stomach that stomach excision of a corpse would actually be a valuable use of a murderers time and not something so bizarrely suspicious it would just raise more questions

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm watching the documentary adaptation of Thomas Piketty's Capital in the 21st Century and there's some lol-worthy stuff in it. I read the book several years ago and maybe didn't pick up on the emphasis on regulation as the cure for all or woes but it's very apparent in the documentary. Inequality is a fact of life and it's only a problem insofar as it becomes excessive. Communism is only mentioned in the intro as the collapse of this fraudulent system at the end of the Cold War but there's no mention of it in the aftermath of WWI, its role in the labor struggles of the late 19th/early 20th century, etc. There's no mention of the USSR during WWII. Margaret Thatcher is held up as an example of new postwar social mobility in the west, but they neglect to mention how she destroyed the political-economic consensus that made her rise to PM possible.

Production values are very slick. It does the They Shall Not Grow Old thing of adding audio tracks to remastered stock footage of the early 20th century, but man it glosses over almost all the class conflict of the late 19th/early 20th century lol.

Edit - Some of this stuff gets addressed in passing later on in the documentary but it's still a mess.

MeatwadIsGod has issued a correction as of 16:30 on Sep 14, 2020

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

quark > piketty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjFyRBRuYoo

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I'm liking Lovecraft Country so far, but it's very much a "wow, cool monsters" adaptation of the mythos

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

what ever happened to Tyrese?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Impkins Patootie posted:

what ever happened to Tyrese?

He’s “the funny one” in the Fast and Furious movies now, for some reason. I imagine that’s been pretty profitable for him if he played his cards right.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

https://twitter.com/chrisevans/status/1305681183129436161?s=21

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Disney loves making the space fascists POC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCgIE96p1BA

extra weird in this video because the X-Wing pilot gives off cop vibes and says "Imp" like its a slur

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm watching the documentary adaptation of Thomas Piketty's Capital in the 21st Century and there's some lol-worthy stuff in it. I read the book several years ago and maybe didn't pick up on the emphasis on regulation as the cure for all or woes but it's very apparent in the documentary. Inequality is a fact of life and it's only a problem insofar as it becomes excessive. Communism is only mentioned in the intro as the collapse of this fraudulent system at the end of the Cold War but there's no mention of it in the aftermath of WWI, its role in the labor struggles of the late 19th/early 20th century, etc. There's no mention of the USSR during WWII. Margaret Thatcher is held up as an example of new postwar social mobility in the west, but they neglect to mention how she destroyed the political-economic consensus that made her rise to PM possible.

Production values are very slick. It does the They Shall Not Grow Old thing of adding audio tracks to remastered stock footage of the early 20th century, but man it glosses over almost all the class conflict of the late 19th/early 20th century lol.

Edit - Some of this stuff gets addressed in passing later on in the documentary but it's still a mess.

Piketty has said he doesn't find any value in Marx so you're never going to get that with him. He advocates for redistribution and regulation, but he is not interested in breaking capitalism. Nonetheless, his analysis of inequality is useful.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Atrocious Joe posted:

says "Imp" like its a slur

my extensive EU knowledge tells me it's meant to be that way - like calling a German soldier a "kraut"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/MSpicuzzaMJS/status/1305319499835604994?p=v

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/larrysandler/status/1305623545767231489?p=v

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/emmaschuetz/status/1305691052440006656

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/emmaschuetz/status/1305696472189603840

why does the twitter censor algorithm think i would be offended by the listed amazon product information of a book

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

there's also a fetish for toxic work relationships that goes beyond the normal noir / procedural style of mystery novels.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Dreylad posted:

Piketty has said he doesn't find any value in Marx so you're never going to get that with him. He advocates for redistribution and regulation, but he is not interested in breaking capitalism. Nonetheless, his analysis of inequality is useful.

https://merionwest.com/2020/07/02/the-successes-and-failures-of-thomas-pikettys-capital-and-ideology/

I liked this review of his new book which points out that he avoids the conclusions that his findings should point to, which Marx already pointed out.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Some Guy TT posted:

why does the twitter censor algorithm think i would be offended by the listed amazon product information of a book

probably because that account has marked themselves as sensitive content

Serf
May 5, 2011

the heat death of the universe can successfully be countered with the amount of energy being generated by lovecraft country takes

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I really dont get these, like wouldnt just watching the movie be better. What do these bring to the experience

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

I really dont get these, like wouldnt just watching the movie be better. What do these bring to the experience

what movie? sounds expensive imo

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

General Dog posted:

He’s “the funny one” in the Fast and Furious movies now, for some reason.

Isn't that Ludacris?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Alhazred posted:

Isn't that Ludacris?

Ludacris is primarily the computer guy while providing secondary or tertiary comic relief.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

General Dog posted:

Ludacris is primarily the computer guy while providing secondary or tertiary comic relief.

I think I need a flow chart over the characters and what their role is.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/emmaschuetz/status/1305696472189603840

1.18 kg of transphobia

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

only just hit me this is supposed to be like a murder mystery how do you even write a murder mystery thats as long as a tolstoy novel the whole point is that the scopes supposed to be really narrow

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the scope for rowling is defending women from the trans menace

there is no page count too long for that noble task

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

only just hit me this is supposed to be like a murder mystery how do you even write a murder mystery thats as long as a tolstoy novel the whole point is that the scopes supposed to be really narrow

ah clearly someone who never actually reached the end of War and Peace

spoiler alert: Napoleon did it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

i say swears online posted:

what movie? sounds expensive imo

I quoted the wrong one, i meant the princess bride tweet '_'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Serf posted:

the heat death of the universe can successfully be countered with the amount of energy being generated by lovecraft country takes

Show us