Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Luckyellow posted:

Isn't that like proof that nuclear winter theory was right in a way? Burn up so many things that it ends up filling the entire atmosphere with particulates that it drops the entire average degrees on earth?
the immediate fires would likely lower daytime temperatures but the nuclear winter debate is how long the particulate would remain after the fires stopped.

Most "normal" large fires don't put the smoke very high in the atmosphere, so gravity & rain make it fall back to earth in a few days or weeks.

If it goes high enough though it gets trapped real high and can affect climate for months/years. BIG volcanic eruptions can do that but there's no consensus on if that would happen with city/forest fires post-nuke

platzapS has issued a correction as of 05:25 on Sep 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

in the first gulf war a retreating saddam set a bunch of kuwaiti oil rigs on fire and it blotted out the sun a little. carl sagan warned of devastating winter but he was mostly wrong

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Jet stream getting in on the smoke action

https://twitter.com/KATVToddYak/status/1305328941943738368

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Sally inched east. If it keeps going, New Orleans isn't gonna get it too bad.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
With air quality like that, are Americans wearing gas masks and the like? Or is there something to stop it getting in your home?
Because holy poo poo that looks bad

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sloth Life posted:

With air quality like that, are Americans wearing gas masks and the like? Or is there something to stop it getting in your home?

lmao.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
lol

wearing masks is a sign of weakness and we can't let the ronifire win

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

proof once again that northeast ohio is god's chosen land

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 06:02 on Mar 23, 2021

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

sincx posted:

It's hard to watch this and not come to the conclusion that the planet is angry

planet's cryin' hot tears of rage, cloud

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sloth Life posted:

Disclaimer because I'm in British Columbia and as a general rule my people are at worst only as stupid as your average american, but there is a solid campfirey haze all throughout the Vancouver area and most people here are wearing masks.

Conveniently, this has also kept our 'roni statistics to about a 0.1% infection rate.

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

Sloth Life posted:

in Seattle this weekend I saw lots of people outdoors dining at restaurant patios

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

Disclaimer because I'm in British Columbia and as a general rule my people are at worst only as stupid as your average american, but there is a solid campfirey haze all throughout the Vancouver area and most people here are wearing masks.

Conveniently, this has also kept our 'roni statistics to about a 0.1% infection rate.
That's our smoke don't touch it

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sloth Life posted:

It's only the same as a couple of packs of cigarettes a day, my lungs can take that right?

I've spent the last two weeks wearing an N95 mask every second I'm outside and living with all my windows shut 24/7. Very sick of my apartment being stuffy.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
THIS poo poo MOTHERFUCKINGT SUCKS

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Skippy McPants posted:

It's only the same as a couple of packs of cigarettes a day, my lungs can take that right?

I've spent the last two weeks wearing an N95 mask every second I'm outside and living with all my windows shut 24/7. Very sick of my apartment being stuffy.

thats whats killing me. its below 60 out, but i cant open the windows because the AQI is 300+. apartment is sweltering at this point, especially since we had to cook

i want this to end so bad lol

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

smug jeebus posted:

That's our smoke don't touch it

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

thats whats killing me. its below 60 out, but i cant open the windows because the AQI is 300+. apartment is sweltering at this point, especially since we had to cook

it hasn't been below 300 aqi here since wednesday lmao

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

err posted:

THIS poo poo MOTHERFUCKINGT SUCKS

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

this is cool cuz I'm right underneath the teeny plume that spools out over the northeast at around Right Now o'clock and it's distinctly yellowish outside

and by cool I mean horrific, can't wait for later in the week!

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

slippery doc posted:

in Seattle this weekend I saw lots of people outdoors dining at restaurant patios

lmao

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

I've spent the last two weeks wearing an N95 mask every second I'm outside and living with all my windows shut 24/7.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NWSNewOrleans/status/1305491879409020928

https://twitter.com/BillKarins/status/1305500798114246657

Looking better for New Orleans, but we'll see.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

slippery doc posted:

we can't keep living in fear. We must go on with our lives and learn to live with the fires

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Don't post model ensembles, they are worthless charts that confuse more than inform. Most of those models are just legacy garbage and the entire point of the ensemble system is to quantify just how bad they are. Media people love them because it looks like a lot of data and makes them look smart I guess? But real meteorologists just laugh at that chart.

Just post the NHC charts they are way better than those awful ensemble tracks.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Don't post model ensembles, they are worthless charts that confuse more than inform. Most of those models are just legacy garbage and the entire point of the ensemble system is to quantify just how bad they are. Media people love them because it looks like a lot of data and makes them look smart I guess? But real meteorologists just laugh at that chart.

Just post the NHC charts they are way better than those awful ensemble tracks.

That map isn't showing an ensemble of different models (what's called the poor man's ensemble) but rather the ensemble GFS run, which means they take the initial conditions for the GFS model and tweak them a tiny bit in dozens of different ways to quantify the uncertainty inherent in the data measurement and assimilation process.

So there's no "legacy garbage" here. It's real uncertainty.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
He says in another tweet that it's very uncertain because it's extremely hard to predict when a storm moving parallel to the coast will turn north.

https://twitter.com/BillKarins/status/1305445005469908993

I dunno anything about this stuff, but he's a professional meteorologist so :shrug:

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Yeah, of course 2020 is first time since 1971 with 5 active cyclones in the Atlantic.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
...NOAA HURRICANE HUNTERS FIND THAT SALLY HAS RAPIDLY STRENGTHENED TO A HURRICANE...
11:00 AM CDT Mon Sep 14
Moving: WNW at 6 mph
Min pressure: 985 mb
Max sustained: 85 mph

yikes

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Vicky? that just leaves W and we’ll be at the greeks

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Remember Sally

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

The other day I caught myself thinking, “I can’t wait to get back to regular quarantine.”

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

El Burbo posted:

Vicky? that just leaves W and we’ll be at the greeks

Currently a full 3 weeks ahead of the 2005 season! I can't wait for Tropical Storm Pi in November.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That's pretty cool, it looks like a massive supercell firing off with no circulation

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Pump Jockey posted:

The other day I caught myself thinking, “I can’t wait to get back to regular quarantine.”

Yep nothing like being evacuated to make you appreciate being quarantined :shepface:

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

slippery doc posted:

can confirm. on Friday I had to go for a drive and passed a fancy restaurant down the block and the outdoor seating was PACKED. there were groups of people walking around everywhere, generally maskless. passed several people running. the aqi was over 200 lol

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

PostNouveau posted:

He says in another tweet that it's very uncertain because it's extremely hard to predict when a storm moving parallel to the coast will turn north.

https://twitter.com/BillKarins/status/1305445005469908993

I dunno anything about this stuff, but he's a professional meteorologist so :shrug:

tag urself, I'm the runs heading toward Lake Charles :kheldragar:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Looking more and more like Mississippi, but still very uncertain.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

it’s going to be very late in the game before we know

NHC updated earlier to say that it will be a Cat 2 before landfall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

WaffleZombie posted:

Yeah, of course 2020 is first time since 1971 with 5 active cyclones in the Atlantic.

if they all max out and combine, we will see the first ever Category 25 hurricane