Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I definitely have seen the castrate option whilst playing as the Byzantine Empire. I think it's an option that comes up for prisoners and you need to have a certain trait like sadistic or similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you're an empire just have no vassals

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That North Korea strat video is looking mighty appealing right now, for sure

Like why did I spend money to create titles that net me less money? I have 8000 prestige whoop-dee-doo, I can't turn prestige into armies because I'm feudal lol

And honestly I cannot ever get clean borders because the extant kingdoms are all spiderwebbed everywhere, I would have to murk each one of them like I did this one guy (and which I did incompletely because I was starting to feel a bit panicked by -25 opinion due to tyranny)

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 14, 2020

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
In my experience, the vassal cap doesn't really become relevant until you have 2-3 empires worth of land, at least if you're regularly creating duchy level vassals.

Also, that NK strat is just a massive gimmick. You need so many holdings to even start it that you are basically at the point where you've "won" the game and can do whatever you want anyway.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

It is a shame that the penalty is really unbalanced. Like at the least the gimmick run should end up roughly the same/worse than actually playing the feudal game. A king level vassal is a risk that the current system really doesn't make worth it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Why? Centralizing your realm into kingdoms drastically reduces the number of powerful vassals you need to keep placated to have support. It works pretty well imo.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Ah, there's nothing like giving your primary heir some land to get them to unlock their inner goldfish brain. In this case my first son produced a genius grandson who attained a four star stewardship education with no poor traits. My son, of course, sees that 6 prowess and thinks "holy poo poo make that boy a knight."

I think you all know how this story ends haha

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I decided I would spend most of my time as my current ruler just cleaning up my realm, improving buildings etc. Meanwhile, my vassals were tearing the place apart trading titles back and forth. I gave one of my duchies to my uncle. He was promptly usurped and another one of my uncles got the title. This guy liked me a bit so I kept him around. This guy was then deposed by his son. His son, Tretchard was immediately revealed to be cheating on his wife with a dude. His wife wanted to kill him badly, but my murder scheme was discovered so I gave up on it. I decided later that I was going to just take his titles for redistribution, he didn't like that and rebelled so I crushed his pathetic rebellion, jailed him, revoked all of his titles and forced him to renounce his claims. He was left landless and penniless.

Meanwhile, his wife inherits a different duchy. I sort of freak out because now I have to deal with this guy in another aspect. But I ended up having to do nothing because he died just a couple months later. His wife imprisoned him and executed him.

So ended the tragedy of Duke Tretchard.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

It's 1170 and I finally created usurped the Empire of Italia from the HRE becoming independent as the now-elderly son of Matilda di Canossa. It's been a rough ride, during this time I put my dynasty on the thrones of Croatia and Brittany (Croatia didn't really work out though, they got their rear end kicked by the Byzantines and the only male son of my dynast got killed in battle so now the ruler is a female of my dynasty but of course she married normally...) plus a bunch of random counties and duchies, crusaded Matilda's grandson (my character's son) into the Kingdom of Jerusalem and another random cousin into the Kingdom of Syria.

Of course half the realm is ruled by various family members, I managed to raise crown authority to high and change into high partition so it should only get smoother from here since my heir is not THAT bad.

I make 30 bucks/month but if I raise my 1800 men-at-arms and 10k levies that quickly becomes -30 :v: luckily I hadn't to war much anymore, just carving some new North African duchies to give to my second and third son. Game good. I just need MORE EVENTS and stuff to do in peacetime, I don't enjoy being at war constantly and while I'm at peace I'd like some more plots, events and decisions/interactions to feel like I'm doing something that isn't banging ladies/dudes, hunting, feasting or going on pilgrimages (btw having gregarious vassals means you'll be partying basically nonstop :getin: )

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Seriously why the hell can I not "Find Spouse" on this dude. He's my nephew, he's my vassal, my ward, and second in line for succession. Let me find him someone (with sick rear end traits) to marry, god drat.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Sep 14, 2020

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah this is absolutely not true. It goes to the strongest dynast in troop terms. I have seen it transfer elsewhere in my family, and then back to my line again.

While you were still all in the same house, though? My experience has been that the dynasty head goes to the strongest house head, and house heads are determined by realm succession laws (which effectively means primogeniture under partition unless you designate your heir at absolute authority).

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

PittTheElder posted:

Seriously why the hell can I not "Find Spouse" on this dude. He's my nephew, he's my vassal, my ward, and second in line for succession. Let me find him someone to marry, god drat.

i think it’s because he’s landed, he doesn’t answer to you.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, the only vassals you can find spouses for are your kids before they've ruled for 10 years I think.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Reveilled posted:

While you were still all in the same house, though? My experience has been that the dynasty head goes to the strongest house head, and house heads are determined by realm succession laws (which effectively means primogeniture under partition unless you designate your heir at absolute authority).

Well the particular instance I'm thinking of is while we were all still Tribal, so we were all one huge dynasty with no cadet branches. It jumped to some distant cousin when I jumped to feudal, and then switched back to me a couple years later when all my buildings came back up. All in the span of single life times, nobody had to die for the transfer to take effect.

sudo rm -rf posted:

i think it’s because he’s landed, he doesn’t answer to you.

Yeah but he's my ward, a minor, I'm the dynasty head, and the one who gave him the title. These are calls I should be entitled to make is what I'm saying.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 14, 2020

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Reveilled posted:

This is also how I understand it. It means if you somehow get yourself out of the line of succession for house head, you should create a cadet branch to slot yourself back in.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Seriously why the hell can I not "Find Spouse" on this dude. He's my nephew, he's my vassal, my ward, and second in line for succession. Let me find him someone (with sick rear end traits) to marry, god drat.

He is landed. If you want to put your family member on thrones, i have learned to do that with people who aren't your direct heirs and to put them on places far away, not as your vassals (they tend to inter-marry to consolidate). You want your direct family at home, under your thumb for better control.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Piell posted:

The VIET Events mod from CK2 has it's first version for CK3.

Is it still filled with cock jokes, teeth brushing and events such as "My cock was cropping out of my pants, lose 1 Prestige"?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So if you capture an enemy lieges concubine and "recruit" them from the prison screen, they join your court... while still being their concubine. That's stupid.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Reveilled posted:

Pretty sure this is right. I was locked out of being my Dynasty Head for like 50 years. The head was a minor vassal, followed by their heir. I was literally their King with 10x the military.

When I could make the Cadet Branch, I was Dynasty Head within the month.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Jeza posted:

Pretty sure this is right. I was locked out of being my Dynasty Head for like 50 years. The head was a minor vassal, followed by their heir. I was literally their King with 10x the military.

When I could make the Cadet Branch, I was Dynasty Head within the month.

Same here. Because I was tribal I couldn't make cadet branches, so the instant my heir ended up as someone other than the firstborn son of my previous ruler, I lost dynasty headship and had no way of fixing it until feudalizing. Then when I did, being emperor of Scandinavia, I instantly became dynasty head. Since then dynasty members have been popping off into cadet branches on their own constantly, there are like 30 of them now.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
My dad was nuts so I'm naked and I have a bunch of naked people in my court ('No Raiment'). Is there any way to lose this now my dad has kicked the bucket?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Anyone else have the intrigue thing of a characters real father being revealed except the character is the son? Took me ages to figure out that was in fact what the game was telling me the result of the affair was

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Gasmask posted:

My dad was nuts so I'm naked and I have a bunch of naked people in my court ('No Raiment'). Is there any way to lose this now my dad has kicked the bucket?

Did your dad convert your realm to a religion with Natural Primitivism, like Adamitsm? That might be why.
In any case, to fix it you can just convert back and demand the courtiers convert too.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
So I'm trying to be the emperor of Siberia and it's going pretty well, I have two kingdoms and 9 wonderful children, and I'm still young. I want my eldest, Rat Egg, to inherit both kingdoms, I don't really care about the duchy titles. However currently he's only in line for one, and the other goes to his brother Mosh Egg, who is my giant fearsome boy that I want to be Rat's marshal one day. I still plan to live a while, so is there any way to make sure Rat gets both when I die without having to disinherit or murder Mosh? Rat is second in line behind Mosh.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

So I'm trying to be the emperor of Siberia and it's going pretty well, I have two kingdoms and 9 wonderful children, and I'm still young. I want my eldest, Rat Egg, to inherit both kingdoms, I don't really care about the duchy titles. However currently he's only in line for one, and the other goes to his brother Mosh Egg, who is my giant fearsome boy that I want to be Rat's marshal one day. I still plan to live a while, so is there any way to make sure Rat gets both when I die without having to disinherit or murder Mosh? Rat is second in line behind Mosh.

When realms get split like that, all heirs get claims on the highest title of the other heirs, so when you take over as your son, you can just immediately declare war on your brother and take the kingdom back. It should vassalize him as well.

Of course, that is only possible if you're strong enough...

Edit: Gah, why do the matrilneally married spouses of my daughters just wander off alone at times. If they had at least taken their spouse with them, I could have used a hook to get them both back.
Ah well, their loss. I was going to make them a duke, but now it seems I'll have to give it to some random schlub, or their grandkids, instead.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Sep 14, 2020

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Gantolandon posted:

Is it still filled with cock jokes, teeth brushing and events such as "My cock was cropping out of my pants, lose 1 Prestige"?

Possibly, but it has an option to only include "serious" events that I have on so I have no idea.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
What's weird is having a guy in your court that you know is in line for the throne of another country, but he's of your dynasty now and you also need to keep him safe for the off chance that you can get a powerful ally later. One of my great nephews is next in line for Wales, but in my court, mostly just chilling. I went out and found him a wife with a bunch of inheritable claims in Ireland and decent stats.

How do you set up high partition once you have it? Do you have to get rid of elective, first?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Gantolandon posted:

I for one hope there are still dumb Elder Scrolls references.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I reformed my religion to allow witchcraft and figured this would in turn allow the witch trait to show up on those who have it (which, by this point, is my entire dynasty and every significant vassal in my empire), kind of like how it does if someone exposes your witch secret. No dice. Does it ever show up normally?

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Does it really matter if my heir is illegitimate, so long as I don't look to hard in to it? He looks nothing like his father and his mother is a known fornicator, but he's got pretty good stats, only 9 and already 13 diplomacy. Trying to google this just seems to lead me down some pretty MGTOW alleys.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
nah, as long as the heir is good leave it be.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Communist Walrus posted:

I reformed my religion to allow witchcraft and figured this would in turn allow the witch trait to show up on those who have it (which, by this point, is my entire dynasty and every significant vassal in my empire), kind of like how it does if someone exposes your witch secret. No dice. Does it ever show up normally?

Not automatically from reforming your religion, unfortunately, but it makes witch inductions give the trait instead of the secret. I did the same as the crypto-pagan Cerneus, and the way it worked itself out is that the generation that came of age before reformation was secretly witches, the next generation was open witches, and the generation after that I was finally able to declare a witch coven.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
As I conquer new duchies instead of dealing with powerful vassals who end up with like -100 opinion of me, I’ve been just fabricating claims on the main land holders, and kind of hoping for a revolt when I revoke their titles. This lets me crush the revolt and imprison the mean vassals so I can take all of their titles and either give them to people I like, or sometimes even give them back to the original holder for a huge opinion gain.

I suppose once I have a poo poo ton of vassals I won’t be able to deal with the revolt as easily so it may not work once I’m big enough. But are there any downsides to this? I’ve found it way better than having more powerful vassals expecting council seats and bribes than I can give out.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Does it really matter if my heir is illegitimate, so long as I don't look to hard in to it? He looks nothing like his father and his mother is a known fornicator, but he's got pretty good stats, only 9 and already 13 diplomacy. Trying to google this just seems to lead me down some pretty MGTOW alleys.

People can find out about it later and blackmail you, but that's pretty much it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Broken Cog posted:

People can find out about it later and blackmail you, but that's pretty much it.

Not that that's a big deal. I told a couple people about a murder I did during a feast and they blackmailed me about it. But both died a few months later, it was weird. :iiam:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Thinking about how they can make Byzantine Empire, Republics and even potentially China playable and interesting.

And I kinda see them making unlanded characters playable. You can even already select them in the new game screen but the game says you can't play unlanded characters, same as theocracies and republics. It's probably a lot of work - you'll need more mundane events that rarely trigger for more important characters, some non-landed applications for gold and prestige (probably treasury), controlled travel/guesting. This would mean you could play all those states not founded on land inheritance. It would also mean it's much harder to get a game over and also you can play a lot of famous landless historical characters like El Cid and all those Hohenzollerns or Romanovs and other people of dynasties better known in the future.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It'd be almost impossible not to get a game over since courtiers can't get married unless the liege lets them. You'd need a whole new set of rules for keeping your line alive

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I give an unrelated family member a title holding and suddenly I can't make my heir heir to the Kingdom of Norway?

This game breaks like a plate falling from a roof once you hit 1000+ dynasty level.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Has anyone had a one legged character show up in any of the events where you actually had your legs shown? Or controlled one and logged off?

I'm interested if they actually show up on the screen with a peg leg or something.

I have noticed some of my "maimed" characters in court are very clearly missing part of an arm. I'm just kind of interested in all the little bits they put into the character models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Nope, one legged characters aren't missing any limbs. You can check this easily if you, your spouse, or your heir has it, and you just go to the main menu. They will show up there.