Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

Vitamin P posted:

"a plastic bag from a halal takeaway" is such wierd loving prose it's a sentence where dogwhistling has taken precedence over sounding like a human

I guess saying she got a cheeky nandos didn't have the "SCARY FOREIGNER CLOUT" she wanted.
JK Rowling is such a cursed person, I do wish her cancelling actually made me hear less about her though. She seems to be constantly in the discourse for some other gross thing she did lol. Get in the bin, hen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also uhhhhh

https://twitter.com/ClientJournoExp/status/1305218881586376713

UHHHHHH

Do you get the impression JK has some sort of pathology going on?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is Garry Bushell also a pen name of J.K. Rowling, because the whole thing reads like one of his "detective Harry 'arry' Hardman beat up the five big blacks and also the BNP skinhead because he wasn't a racist, and thought about the time that he'd thrown a homosexual Marxist university professor pedophile across a mosque so hard that it knocked a cross dressers burka off. Everywhere was a mosque now, of course, even Buckingham Mosque." novels.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Guavanaut posted:

"detective Harry 'arry' Hardman beat up the five big blacks and also the BNP skinhead because he wasn't a racist, and thought about the time that he'd thrown a homosexual Marxist university professor pedophile across a mosque so hard that it knocked a cross dressers burka off. Everywhere was a mosque now, of course, even Buckingham Mosque." novels.

:golfclap: Thread delivers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"The world's gone mad it's full of deviants" I decry in between penning 900 pages about my obsession with what everyone looks like with their clothes off. Everywhere I look I think about people's genitalia, and it's the wokes fault.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Coisty_OB/status/1305399099693424640?s=19

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Also uhhhhh

https://twitter.com/ClientJournoExp/status/1305218881586376713

UHHHHHH

Do you get the impression JK has some sort of pathology going on?
(Temples throbbing from thinking up a name that isn't Harry Potter) "Harpy"

(Billion-dollar brain working under a pseudonym specifically so it may create fictions not about wizards) "Robes"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Was it JK Rowling who saw a post by one of her heroes which she misread as supporting her, thanked them profusely, then got cancelled by them and deleted her thank you

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
"Reassuringly hot and clean..."

I'm getting big "Frank Reynolds during flu season" clean vibes here.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Was it JK Rowling who saw a post by one of her heroes which she misread as supporting her, thanked them profusely, then got cancelled by them and deleted her thank you

Yeah it was Stephen King iirc

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

thrashingteeth posted:

I guess saying she got a cheeky nandos didn't have the "SCARY FOREIGNER CLOUT" she wanted.
JK Rowling is such a cursed person, I do wish her cancelling actually made me hear less about her though. She seems to be constantly in the discourse for some other gross thing she did lol. Get in the bin, hen.

yeah some posters ITT are weirdly obsessed with her

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Yeah, it was Stephen King :lol:

[e]: Beaten.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

Cerv posted:

I don't mind in this thread tbh, it's funny to laugh at how much of a freak she is.

I'm more annoyed when it's people talking about her free speech and defending her in conversation, like people are still sympathetic to her AND as ignorant. Big hate.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Cerv posted:

This isn't true and you're being a dick as usual

I wonder why a thread with a bunch of trans people discuss an extremely high profile transphobe

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Davey pie has actually said something about Brexit and also stuck the knife into Boris about breaking the law.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Davey pie has actually said something about Brexit and also stuck the knife into Boris about breaking the law.

Does anyone give a poo poo about him? It's like major and Blair talking at this point

Lmao the day after the Tories were talking up a tech industry in the UK ARM is being sold to nvidia

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Rowling billboard in Canada is down already.
https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/09/13/jk-rowling-billboard-vancouver-covered-up-paint-attacks-fierce-opposition-lasted-less-than-24-hours/

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
So my eldest kid is also now off sick from school and because they did a cough the school won't let them back till a covid test is done and negative- I checked the website and lo and behold- no drive in test sites found, no walk in test sites found, no home tests available.

My son's school haven't said a word about testing and I'm fairly sure they are expecting him to return without one.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The last Labour government...

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1305407384643395585?s=20

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Jose posted:

Does anyone give a poo poo about him? It's like major and Blair talking at this point

Lmao the day after the Tories were talking up a tech industry in the UK ARM is being sold to nvidia

idk man I think people still have strong emotional responses about tony blair

david cameron's a mass murderer with a strong shout to worst ever pm but he's gone now and I just don't feel the same bloodlust about him, or get the impression other people feel that way

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Every time I think there’s nothing they can do or say to surprise me, something like this happens and I just have to sit quietly for a couple of minutes

E: lol there’s some good stuff in the article too:

quote:

But taking to the TV studios to defend the government's actions, Ms Villiers argued: "The reality is that there are routine occasions where countries or indeed the EU are in violation of obligations under international law.

”You can see for example, parliament's failure to vote to give prisoners votes. Arguably that is in violation of international law but I don't see people calling the United Kingdom a pariah state because it has failed to abide by that judgment in the European Court of Human Rights."
really love that the tories are now doing a mycrimes.txt on themselves

TACD fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 14, 2020

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

She's not actually wrong though. But:-

(1) See also, domestic law; and,

(2) The usual game is just to claim you're not breaking it & hope nobody cares enough to kick up a fuss, you don't just say "lol I'm breaking this law" jfc

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Cerv posted:

Yeah it's just cuh-razy how people are angry about an author whose views are transmitted to millions of people around the world, deciding to poo poo on transpeople in a consistant manner

It's a complete mystery why people might not like her spreading her bile, no need for introspective thought on your part here

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Sep 14, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Borrovan posted:

She's not actually wrong though. But:-

(1) See also, domestic law; and,

(2) The usual game is just to claim you're not breaking it & hope nobody cares enough to kick up a fuss, you don't just say "lol I'm breaking this law" jfc

the big mistake, as with rich people getting away with crimes, is that they're doing it to rich countries

https://twitter.com/Trickyjabs/status/1305398002698387461?s=20

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

I mean yes but you’re not supposed to say that.

E: f;b.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

The Last Labour Government was still being used as a rhetorical device 2 months before the 1997 general election, after approx 18 years under tory rule.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commo...42-554393bbdeaa

And plus ça change, it's deployed in a debate about Europe, where one member asks "Are not the Tories being increasingly driven by Euro-sceptics into supporting a complete withdrawal from the European Community, which would cost 3.5 million jobs?"

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

ARM already belonged to Softbank.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

ARM already belonged to Softbank.

i know its just the timing of it i find funny

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
4th day back at school and the year 2 teachers are both having to self isolate. Lol except not lol.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jose posted:

To be fair it had already been sold to Softbank. Now it's just American instead of Japanese.

Also their marketing department will bitch at you, when I was there we were firmly told it's now 'arm' all lower case. Got a free water bottle with it on and everything.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

feedmegin posted:

To be fair it had already been sold to Softbank. Now it's just American instead of Japanese.

It is something to be concerned about though. Softbank is a holding company, they generally just buy stuff, wait for it to grow (like apple announcing a huge deal with ARM) then sell it for a profit. Nvidia is tech company who will likely wont to merge elements of ARM into their own business. As much as Nvidia pinky promise not to move the guts of ARM out of Cambridge, they will try it at some point. And the Government should put things in place to prevent this, however this goes against glorious free capitalism, so likely won't happen.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Reassuringly hot and clean

She's become alan partridge the whole book reads like something he'd write and fail to get published

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Didn't Kraft make all kinds of pledges about keeping Cadburys British then immediately broke all of them?

Like, they didn't even wait a few years to pretend it was an unfortunate necessity of the business environment - they just disregarded everything they'd committed to do the moment the ink was dry on the contracts.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1305440105457504256

The worst person you know dot jaypeg

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

peanut- posted:

Didn't Kraft make all kinds of pledges about keeping Cadburys British then immediately broke all of them?

Like, they didn't even wait a few years to pretend it was an unfortunate necessity of the business environment - they just disregarded everything they'd committed to do the moment the ink was dry on the contracts.

Yes. Any promise that isn’t accompanied by an enforceable penalty for breaking it is worthless.

In case of well, actually: for casual promises then the enforceable penalty is usually that you won’t like them any more.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Mega Comrade posted:

It is something to be concerned about though. Softbank is a holding company, they generally just buy stuff, wait for it to grow (like apple announcing a huge deal with ARM) then sell it for a profit. Nvidia is tech company who will likely wont to merge elements of ARM into their own business. As much as Nvidia pinky promise not to move the guts of ARM out of Cambridge, they will try it at some point. And the Government should put things in place to prevent this, however this goes against glorious free capitalism, so likely won't happen.

The sadly hilarious part of this is that we have this homegrown company whose product is at the heart of the one hot consumer item with global reach that cuts across class and age demographics, the mobile phone, just as we're severing ties with our closest trading ally and we desperately need something relevant to keep international trade alive. And we're STILL loving it up.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Yo UKMT! Got me some books from Verso, might try and pick up some more every fortnight when I get my JSA cos books are good.

This week I have Minima Moralia by Theodor Adorno and Imagined Communities by Benedict Anderson. Might start with Imagined Communities, seems appropriate at the moment.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
new vision of Hell

https://twitter.com/Tweet_Dec/status/1305211477847048193

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I always read "Michael Fabricant" in the same intonation as Johnny Rotten singing "pretty vacant" and nothing I read about him has made me feel bad about this in any way