Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

It's not quite a billboard but someone round my street has been defacing antifa stickers with "I <3 J K Rowling" ones and that says it all for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
who knew that insisting his kids had to go back to school would have consequences

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1305457685672976385?s=20

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Christ who is next in line after...

Oh no

Oh no no no

The Prince who was promised... The king across the waves!

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Communist Thoughts posted:

Oh no

Oh no no no

Wait I’m confused, do succession rules mean the UK is about to become a principality of the Kingdom of Sealand?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jose posted:

who knew that insisting his kids had to go back to school would have consequences

Something something The Masque of the Red Death

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Communist Thoughts posted:

Oh no

Oh no no no

I don't think the King of Bavaria will take the throne in the event of the death of Keir Starmer, but the British constitution is an odd duck to be sure.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Gerry Adams becoming labour leader would be extremely funny

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
lol, RLB going 'told you so':

https://twitter.com/rlong_bailey/status/1305458118013448193?s=21

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol i hope he kills all the lbc presenters

https://twitter.com/PronouncedAlva/status/1305464778375278595?s=20

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

RLB has been on it the whole time pretty much, shame we can't have a woman be labour leader after 2 tory pms.

The only person in labour who was more on it re: roni was... Nandy??? What the hell

The only politician I saw immediately calling out herd immunity as insane, there was a week long gap between it being announced and the media and politicians googling what it was but she was right in it day one.
Which is the basic metric for how literate and thinking politicians and journos are: if the pm says he's going to let them all catch plague, but does so in a nice tone of voice, how long before they notice what he said.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Write your own captions.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I suppose one useful thing about not being in the shadow cabinet any more is being free to public ally disagree with them

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jose posted:

If he gets COVID and actually dies (which is obviously unlikely), how soon would it be before another leadership election?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I will say one thing of starmer he's got a nice range of facial expressions if you like "grinning like a loon, looking serious, and experiencing existantial horror"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I like kneeling starmer. He has the casual, slightly sad look of a cop kneeling a man to death, knowing his excuses will be repeated uncritically by Starmer

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

can't even wear a tie properly smh

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Offers strong protection against criticism of tory policy

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

When I first saw starmer all I'd heard about him was media stuff about him being a forensic genius and the future of labour.
He just looked so sad and upset, I figured it was because he didn't like Corbyn.

But no that's just the face you get if you spend your whole life reading the government's mycrimes.txt and rubber stamping it

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

OwlFancier posted:

I will say one thing of starmer he's got a nice range of facial expressions if you like "grinning like a loon, looking serious, and experiencing existantial horror"

It's the startled ruddiness and never looking quite comfortable in a suit. Every photo of him looks like paperrazzi shots of a high-street butcher from Peterborough who's been found putting human meat in the organic sausages, arriving for his court hearing.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
It's going to make absolutely no difference if Starmer's housebound lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Simon_Vessey/status/1305469615183724547?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh also:

https://twitter.com/jewdas/status/1305449474731454464

https://twitter.com/shirleymush/status/1305250711236734981

Big hmmmm.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

OwlFancier posted:

, and experiencing existantial horror"

And they say preceding generations didn’t do enough to prepare us for the coming apocalypse #theyknew

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1304373118971121665?s=20

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I first heard about him from FBPE twitter who were bouncing memes around about how the tories would be sending Davis to negotiate and how Labour would be sending sensible barrister Keith Stairmaster, as soon as Jaremy Crobny did the right thing and stood aside for Jo of Swindon.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

I don't understand what's funny here

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/SpittingImage/status/1304766716656877568

Haha Putin is a gay. That is how gays dress. He's only buddying up with the orthodox church to do homophobia because he wants to touch willies. This is original comedy.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Isomermaid posted:

It's the startled ruddiness and never looking quite comfortable in a suit. Every photo of him looks like paperrazzi shots of a high-street butcher from Peterborough who's been found putting human meat in the organic sausages, arriving for his court hearing.
This is perfect, can you tweet it or something so I can source it as a quote?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Incidentally this was in The Times on Friday, so the centrists are at least starting to notice that Starmer may not be the answer to all their problems.

quote:

Sir Keir Starmer is like a weatherman: you can never remember anything he says

First the disclaimer: The tunes being sung by the other lot are bad. Whether it’s Don’t Kill Your Gran or Not Driving Home For Christmas or Breaking the Law, Breaking the Law (In a Limited and Specific Way), these are not a comfortable listen and should be easy to beat in the political pop charts. And yet and yet. For some reason Keir Starmer remains strangely tuneless, without an electoral earworm which wriggles into your internal jukebox and plays on loop.

The “More In Sorrow Than Anger” (Mista) routine is as inconsequential as it is forgettable. Mr Mista is a weatherman. You know he’s talking but you can’t retain any of it. Did he say he had a better idea for Covid testing? Or it was going to rain on Thursday? On the new rule of six banning large gatherings — which if nothing else tells us the PM must hate his kids — the Labour line is that they support it. End of. Which means they can’t even count on the support of S Club 7 or Snow White at the next election.

And then when it goes wrong Starmer will turn up like that old Harry Enfield character saying: “I don’t believe you wanted to do that.” Ed Miliband spent five years tutting at the Tories and look where that got him. Maybe Starmer just wants a podcast.

Now, obviously Prime Minister’s Questions doesn’t matter. But it also really does. Done well it can change the political weather. Scattergun questions, sharp jokes and a peroration on a theme (competence, confusion, cruelty, whatever) and that’s a guaranteed slot on the evening news.

Instead, one of Starmer’s six questions at PMQs this week was: “Prime minister, what is happening?” Amazingly even our easily-bamboozled PM managed to sidestep that one. Johnson still loses, but Starmer never quite manages to win.

And what about Johnson’s plans to break international law, which a lot of people have concluded is a Bad Thing? Starmer, a senior barrister apparently though nobody mentions it, didn’t bring it up at PMQs at all.

Now, the clever-clogs say this avoids falling into the Tory Brexit trap of reminding everyone that he was the Crown Prince of Remainia. But it is possible to be too clever about these things: the mirror image of Jeremy Corbyn being too stupid about things. Cautiously sitting things out might be a strategy if you are close to power, but Labour need to gain 124 seats for a majority of just one. You don’t scale a mountain from the layby. James Bond doesn’t sit in the street in his Aston Martin waiting for the baddie to blow himself up. Because if he did, he wouldn’t get the credit. He would just be a concerned onlooker who would tell the local news: “Mr Blofeld kept himself to himself. You don’t expect this on your doorstep.” And that’s even more boring to watch than Quantum of Solace.

Or An Audience with Keir Starmer. Apparently the Labour leader is planning to launch his own monthly press conferences. A blatant pitch for the insomniac vote.

He needs to find some catchier, punchier songs to sing before worrying about booking a venue for extra performances. At least he won’t have to worry about it turning into a mass gathering.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Bobby Deluxe posted:

This is perfect, can you tweet it or something so I can source it as a quote?

Hee, I don't have a public twitter, just steal it, it's fine :D

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Stolen.

Also:

brendaaan :argh:

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

Guavanaut posted:

https://twitter.com/SpittingImage/status/1304766716656877568

Haha Putin is a gay. That is how gays dress. He's only buddying up with the orthodox church to do homophobia because he wants to touch willies. This is original comedy.

AH I SEE HOMOPHOBIA IS ACTUALLY "THE GAYS" FAULT, HOW INSIGHTFUL. BEST SATIRE.
This country is so doomed.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

peanut- posted:

Instead, one of Starmer’s six questions at PMQs this week was: “Prime minister, what is happening?” Amazingly even our easily-bamboozled PM managed to sidestep that one. Johnson still loses, but Starmer never quite manages to win.

Is this the legendary ‘forensic questioning’ I’ve heard so much about?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

extinction rebellion are loving useless aren't they. they used the fires last year to justify the coup

https://twitter.com/OVargas52/status/1305480720748630016?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thrashingteeth posted:

AH I SEE HOMOPHOBIA IS ACTUALLY "THE GAYS" FAULT, HOW INSIGHTFUL. BEST SATIRE.
This country is so doomed.
There actually might be something to Putin's homophobia being partially rooted in a toxic masculine response to the also toxic mocking of him by large bearded tankie types as being 'too feminine', but there's loving tons to caricature about Putin that's not "he is gay with other politicians, now here's Kanye with his famously wide nose and low cheekbones doing a skit that's entirely the n-word, and now Zuck's poking his (((large nose))) in to control the media."

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
So surely we're going to be pitched head first back into full lock-down within the next week or two? Either that or just accept that we're gonna have another massive surge and tens of thousands more people will die. The testing situation is hosed (I had symptoms the other day, now self-isolating. Luckily managed to somehow secure a home test, which arrived yesterday, but can ONLY be posted back at 1715 today, and then god knows how long it'll take to get the results), and hundreds of schools are already being crippled by staff and students having to self-isolate...

I kind of feel that the ol' breaking international law debacle is distracting people from the fact that, one way or another, we are going to be yet again proper hosed in a few weeks time.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

The Perfect Element posted:

So surely we're going to be pitched head first back into full lock-down within the next week or two?

No full lockdown, just local lockdowns that happen to cover the entire UK.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Another lockdown would make the money sad. Better just digging some mass graves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Perfect Element posted:

So surely we're going to be pitched head first back into full lock-down within the next week or two? Either that or just accept that we're gonna have another massive surge and tens of thousands more people will die.
The curve does seem to be going up slower than the full fuckery of the Imperial model, hopefully continued masking and distancing are slowing things, but there's got to be something or it'll keep going up.

It'll probably be

sinky posted:

No full lockdown, just local lockdowns that happen to cover the entire UK.
until a vaccine.

What's interesting is that we're not seeing anything similar happen with the excess deaths curve

...yet.