Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

My wife got me a tervis with a lid and a straw so I have been coached appropriately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

I eventually solved the plastic cement problem by throwing away my citadel bottle and replacing with tamiya extra thin

This is the real pro move. Both types of extra thin, never need another plastic glue.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Speaking of Citadel paints, how the gently caress are those pots supposed to work?

Does the little tab go under the lid? It keeps the lid open that way, but then there's a weird "gap" when it's closed.

If the little tab stays outside the lid, the lid doesn't stay open well and always closes when i'm trying to dip my brush in

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cooked Auto posted:

One reason I use glass jars specifically and never gone with mugs.
Another reason I'm bad at swapping out the water so it usually ends up sedimenting at the bottom after a while. :v:

When I was building up my supplies again, I literally went and bought a brand new mug at Walmart for $2, so that I could let the paint just build up

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I definitely want to try that 'right-out-of-the-forge' look on a blade sometime. I might even try it on the Judiciar, since the drat blade is so friggin huge

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Azerban posted:

For clogs in Citadel glue I usually just flip the metal piece upside down in the bottle and let it sit for a couple minutes, I've never had to use fire...

This is a great life hack, thanks.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Speaking of Citadel paints, how the gently caress are those pots supposed to work?

Does the little tab go under the lid? It keeps the lid open that way, but then there's a weird "gap" when it's closed.

If the little tab stays outside the lid, the lid doesn't stay open well and always closes when i'm trying to dip my brush in

Realtalk: It was designed by assholes whose main brief was "Can we design a pot that will dry paint out even with the lid closed, while also being strictly inferior to every previous pot the company has ever used in every way?". After the revolution there will be a reckoning.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It's a pain in the rear end but you gotta put the tab in when you wanna keep the lid up and then take the tab back out when you want it to close effectively.

e: you can also sometimes get the cap to sit vertically on top of the tiny lip but its pretty dicey

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Don’t think about it too hard. Games Workshop certainly didn’t

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've often wanted to cut that little nub off - has anyone had luck with that?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I hate pots without it because I have to remember to open it back up again whenever I need to get paint. So in a way I prefer it as a way to rest the lid on and not have to worry about it closing on me. Don't think I've ever folded it in front of the lid though and just rest it the slight lip it has at the front.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

transferring my GW paints to dropper bottles was a revelation

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

For amount of time, energy and money it would take to transfer the paint into droppers you might as well just get Vallejo or Army Painter.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Sometimes I use the paint stuck in the citadel lid after a shake. Heresy?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MRLOLAST posted:

that’s the only place I lift paint from! if it doesn’t have enough I close it and shake again

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

jesus WEP posted:

First time doing a power sword. Trying to work out likelihood of loving up an edge highlight vs how much it will add to the final look of it. This is for the actual edge of the sword, there’s no way I have the skill to put one on the two ridges running up the face

(Yes i will drill the gun barrel I just forgot to do it before priming the model leave me alone)

Paint the lines, yes you will gently caress it up and need to go in and clean it up. There is no way to get better at things without practice.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Quick question: For a shittily painted model, should I just re-spray it and start over, or strip it first?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

inscrutable horse posted:

Quick question: For a shittily painted model, should I just re-spray it and start over, or strip it first?

Strip it.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

How thick is the lovely paint job, and how much bother do you want to get to?

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Depends how thick your original paint job is. A thin layer of grey fixes most things. Might not even need to spray, just put some thin eshin grey over the colors you don't like. Try it and if it looks horrible , strip it

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

If the paint isnt gobbed on, you can just paint on top of it. The only time if I strip is if there is gobs of paint or a lovely primer job.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Too lovely to use as a basecoat and work up from? Then strip it. I do have a couple of figures that I bought shittily painted that I could paint on top of (they'd basically been sprayed black, then sloppy barbarian flesh looking skin tone, a block of colour for hair, gunmetal and blood red on the swords and I think very dark brown on belts and boots. It was thin enough that I could paint over without losing any real detail and being zombies I could work over the skin into something that looked reasonable) but the vast majority of "pro painted" ebay rescues have paint far too thick to think about doing that.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

SiKboy posted:

Realtalk: It was designed by assholes whose main brief was "Can we design a pot that will dry paint out even with the lid closed, while also being strictly inferior to every previous pot the company has ever used in every way?". After the revolution there will be a reckoning.

Obviously you've never used the screw-top bolter shell jars from the early 2000s, where you could wind up with a useless jar of paint right off of the goddamn store shelf because it dried up in transit.

The newer jars are just slightly altered versions of the old Foundation ones.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Superglue plus cotton wool plus fingers is a bad time.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Everyone posted:

How thick is the previous paintjob?

Not very thick at all. All details are still obvious, it's just one of my earliest models (armiger knight from 40K), and it doesn't look even remotely like its fellows. So if I read the replies right, my plan should be
1) Slap on a coat of grey, and take it from there. If that isn't succesful, then
2) Spray the bastard. And in case that ruins everything,
3) Strip it.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

SiKboy posted:

Too lovely to use as a basecoat and work up from? Then strip it. I do have a couple of figures that I bought shittily painted that I could paint on top of (they'd basically been sprayed black, then sloppy barbarian flesh looking skin tone, a block of colour for hair, gunmetal and blood red on the swords and I think very dark brown on belts and boots. It was thin enough that I could paint over without losing any real detail and being zombies I could work over the skin into something that looked reasonable) but the vast majority of "pro painted" ebay rescues have paint far too thick to think about doing that.

I kept some pliers at my painting desk just to get those drat things open. So many pots with chewed up tops from that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MRLOLAST posted:

This is The Way.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Do you mean the little scoop shaped thing in the middle or like the inevitable buildup near the hinge?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I'm sure that's what that scoop thing is for.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The first time all my citadel paints dried out I just said gently caress it and switched to vallejo.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Phi230 posted:

The first time all my citadel paints dried out I just said gently caress it and switched to vallejo.

Which metal color of theirs is roughly equivalent to leadbelcher?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Silhouette posted:

Obviously you've never used the screw-top bolter shell jars from the early 2000s, where you could wind up with a useless jar of paint right off of the goddamn store shelf because it dried up in transit.

The newer jars are just slightly altered versions of the old Foundation ones.

You know what, you are actually right! That would be about when I dropped out of the hobby, and by the time I came back in GW were on their current bullshit. I will give their current bullshit this and little more; At least they seem to be reliably airtight until they have been opened for the first time, at which point all bets are off.

Not very thick at all. All details are still obvious, it's just one of my earliest models (armiger knight from 40K), and it doesn't look even remotely like its fellows. So if I read the replies right, my plan should be
1) Slap on a coat of grey, and take it from there. If that isn't succesful, then
2) Spray the bastard. And in case that ruins everything,
3) Strip it.

Do you need to put a coat of grey on? I'm not sure how thats better than option 2 tbh. I'd say its more of a flow chart: If you can use what you have as a base coat, then do that. If you cant do that (because for example its currently dark blue and you want it to be yellow) then spray it with your undercoat (or basecoat as its already undercoated) colour of choice and work from there. If that doesnt work out, then strip it. Unless you are going to airbrush or spray on the grey in step 1 in which case I'm not sure what step 2 is.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

Which metal color of theirs is roughly equivalent to leadbelcher?

Gunmetal/Gun metal grey or Oily Steel if you want a similar shade of metal with a slightly brighter tone

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

x-post from the new 40k thread:

Verisimilidude posted:

My quarantine project for the past ~month

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Those are some beautiful greenskins, man.

How'd you do the bases? I can't settle on a style for my Death Guard but those look nice

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Those are some beautiful greenskins, man.

How'd you do the bases? I can't settle on a style for my Death Guard but those look nice

The base is Golden brand Crackle Paste. I paint the top of the base with some primer, and when it's dry apply a thick layer of the paste and add any bits and extras like skulls and such. Then I painted the terrain with Golden brand red oxide paint, washed with agrax earthshade, and dry brushed with red oxide and a final drybrush of red oxide mixed with a bright orange paint.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Sometimes it feels like I have painted the same bolter for the last 20 years.. and I have exactly the same design for them , I know what should be metal and I know what should be color.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
My old red kobold, my new red kobolds, and my red dragon cultist for scale. I know the candles have to be a WOW reference but I'll use any opportunity to do a little more sourced lighting.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 14, 2020

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

MRLOLAST posted:

Sometimes it feels like I have painted the same bolter for the last 20 years.. and I have exactly the same design for them , I know what should be metal and I know what should be color.

You're only a little off, the current boltgun design came out 22 years ago in 1998 with 40k 3rd edition :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The Primaris boltgun is a bit different than the old design, but not very much, it still maintains a lot of the core design.