Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Iirc, iron ore has something like twice the heat capacity and thermal conductivity of gold amalgam. Not sure where that would come into play, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Aethernet posted:

Because you don't have a place for the rejected liquid to go that's close enough - that's the difference. Stick a bridge just after the filter for rejected liquids and it will work.

insta posted:

Fluid will preferentially pass white->green, but if it can't it will continue right along. Your output pipe seems backed up.
Thanks, all good to know. Been a reoccurring issue.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

You want iron for steel production. I believe also you can get an iron volcano but not sure how much it puts out.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Heffer posted:

You want iron for steel production. I believe also you can get an iron volcano but not sure how much it puts out.

According to oni-db.com, they max out at an average of 400 g/s, so you could probably make enough steel for a bunker door every couple cycles.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Anything ore is non-renewable, right? Once you refine it, it's refined forever.

It literally falls out of the sky.

Ciaphas posted:

If Iron Ore is exhaustible, is it in any way precious? Seemed like the most boring of metals from what I've seen so far - in fact besides availability I'm not too sure why I wouldn't just use gold amalgam on everything

The only way to get more iron ore is to refine rust, and the only way to get infinite rust is from oxidized planetoids. Iron volcanoes produce refined iron.

Iron ore isn't tremendously useful if you have refined iron.

The only use I can think of is if you used iron ore to build a big system and want it all to be uniform. I used iron ore to build my conveyor rails because I had a lot of it, but then ran out. Probably not the typical player's concern though. :shrug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Not a concern for me, for sure. In fact I find picking the "right" material for builds - be it geographically right for the sake of my dupes, or physically right for temp control or whatever - to be kind of a pain in the rear end that I don't like doing, even though I understand why it exists

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
If I plant sleet wheat but it stifles, will that prevent it from spoiling?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Two new questions today-

- When's an appropriate time to set up a wheel training area for athletics, if ever? I saw the idea in one of Francis' videos and it seems like a good idea
- I've got stone hatchlings on the way, at last - cycle 45. Not terribly sure what my next goal or project 'should' be - maybe make a beeline for oil? Farm some other animal? Something Else? How do you decide, I don't want to keep turning to that guy's videos when I'm decision-paralyzed? :v:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I would reduce some of your mechanical redundancy (your carbon skimmer is way higher than it needs to be now) and I don't see water electrolysis. Work on bottling up that cool steam vent to turn it into renewable oxygen (assuming it's ~1kg/s - less than that and your electrolyzer will eventually outrun it).

I also see what appears to be mesh tiles in your bathroom directly over your clean water tank, which is a fast track to very much not clean water.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
I like this advice on mid-game goals.

nrook posted:

Random midgame goals:

Electrolysis (no cooling necessary, and you really only need a pump for the hydrogen, not the oxygen. Consider using rust deoxidizers instead if they're available)
Mushroom farming
"Solve oxygen" (electrolysis fed by a geyser)
Natural gas generators
Sanitation (automated sinks, toilets, and showers)
Bad, rock granulator-based refined metal source
Glossy drecko ranching
Using auto-sweepers to feed coal generators
"Power plant" (some sort of insulated room with all your generators, using heavy wire, and an idea of how you're going to use transformers to safely power everything else)

In my experience, getting atmo suits, digging into the oil biome and effectively using a metal refinery marks the beginning of a new phase of base development beyond the stuff, and you'll want to tackle at least some of the items listed above before you do. This is ONI so all this stuff is optional, but if you're looking for productive ideas I think this is a good list.

Also consider insulating your base, take a look at the nearby temps and see if any heat sources are leaching into your base.

Sokani fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 14, 2020

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Two new questions today-

- When's an appropriate time to set up a wheel training area for athletics, if ever? I saw the idea in one of Francis' videos and it seems like a good idea

The athletics room is to turbo-level new dupes up to 3 skill points to get into atmosuits. Don't set them up before your entire population is using atmosuits outside the base (and you want to add another dupe).

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I just setup rust deoxidizers for the first time today on aridio:

I couldn't find any designs anywhere so just kinda winged it in survival with no testing. The design works and separates the oxygen from chlorine, and the two sweepers grab everything. I think it infinite stores chlorine too because I'm not pumping the bottom at all and it's at ~14kg per tile. When it backs up it stays separate with no pumps running which is nice, because I was just using 2 pumps at first. Not sure if the design will be totally efficient with all pumps going because there's no pumps above the middle deoxidizers, but it might be fine anyway.

it looks like my dupes live in a trashcan in that screenshot. Up above is where I am going to cool the oxygen (& also use it to cool/warm other stuff probably) but I got lazy and still have some algae so I am just using the oxygen that comes out to fill up atmo suits for now.

also, you don't really need an elaborate build for them because the amount of chlorine that comes out is real small. I had 3 running in my base for a while with no issue. I just wanted something that would tear through the 500t of rust I have and also solve oxygen for a while without making yet another spom. One issue with it is it uses quite a bit of power and I am going to run out of lumber very soon & natural oil in around 100 cycles. The map I'm on has a few small oil biomes that have obsidian/magma spikes running between them. I might play with magma for the first time and see how that goes. I'm trying to avoid slicksters and oil wells so I also might end up with a massive arbor tree farm.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 14, 2020

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

insta posted:

The athletics room is to turbo-level new dupes up to 3 skill points to get into atmosuits. Don't set them up before your entire population is using atmosuits outside the base (and you want to add another dupe).

Yep, this. Also worth noting that cooks, ranchers, and other dupes that stay inside can skip the athletics training if you just want them to hang around the base. You just really don't want untrained dupes in suits except as a last resort; they take massive athletics penalties.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

DreadCthulhu posted:

The only thing that is not renewable is hatch food, but I suspect I could stretch things longer by eating mushrooms as well, although that sucks for morale. What else am I missing?

Hatch food is renewable, just breed stone hatches instead of regular ones - feed the regulars sedimentary rock and they'll mutate. Stone hatches expand their diet to other rocks aside from sandstone/sedimentary, most importantly igneous rock, which is spewed by every volcano as magma. Just harness the volcanoes for steam power in a way that lets you eject the cooled igneous rock, like this system used in petroleum boiler for example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YddtS8ZKbIE
just with steam power, petroleum boilers consume heat way too slowly to have any practical rock output.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Volcanoes produce enough magma to feed 3-5 stone hatches, if you can get the magma to turn into chunks instead of blocks. You will need several volcanoes to base your food economy on it, but that's handy in its own way for constant sustainable baseline power.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Here's a short tale I'm oddly proud of

I got around to setting up my first SPOM over a temporary pool yesterday - partly for the actual O2, partly because I figured I could use the H2 and get dreckos going. Didn't think they could be set up without plastic and steam engines. Works great, but as you can see by how nearby it is to the mealwood that I'm not good at planning :v: when I loaded the save it was 33C in there and slowly rising.

But thanks to posts yesterday I DID have the foresight to run the oxygen pipe alllll the way out to a cold biome, then back, and radiated the pipes through the farm. I actually saved the farm :woop:

Problem: The dreckos in there aren't eating, and my dupes are harvesting all the mealwood. I guess these two are related but I'm not sure how to fix it. halp I need plastic :saddowns:

(e) Another question. Getting into exosuits: how do I arrange things so the dupes hop in and out? Surround the starting biome with insulation, make one exit, put em there and make the dupes go around the wall if they have to? Multiple exits?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 14, 2020

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
You can disable autoharvest on each plant, or via the icon in the bottom right. That will leave the mealwood untouched.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

son of a how did i not see that :tizzy:

New question about another problem I keep having: food spoilage

Over 10-20 cycles the amount of CO2 in that pit goes down just enough to keep flipping between sterile and not. Besides the popping Unrefrigerated Food message, it really does make stuff spoil slowly. Why does the CO2 keep getting out when there's nothing else there but O2?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 14, 2020

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’ve only had success with suit docks when the “outside” only has one entrance, which is the suit checkpoint.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
One exit is the most foolproof but you can set up others with vacancy only or set the entrance behind a door and only let an equal number of dupes through that door via the dupe controls when you click on the door.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Over 10-20 cycles the amount of CO2 in that pit goes down just enough to keep flipping between sterile and not. Besides the popping Unrefrigerated Food message, it really does make stuff spoil slowly. Why does the CO2 keep getting out when there's nothing else there but O2?

This is probably due to fluctuation in the overall pressure level of the area. In your shot there is 1kg/tile and has 12 tiles CO2, 12kg total. When you make more O2 and pressure in the area goes up to ~2k, it will push that CO2 down into just 6 squares at 2k/tile. It will eventually fill back up with CO2 at 2k/tile since its a pit, but if your O2 production is spotty, and local pressure falls, CO2 will overflow back out, and the process repeats.

So the long term fix to to have more constant pressure in the area, but a short term fix is a gas pump down in the CO2 at the bottom of the base to a vent above your storage, and tie a CO2 sensor below one of the ladders to open/close the vent.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Good idea, I left the bed that way because I thought vents weren't automatable and really didn't want to try to squeeze in a gas shutoff.

(ed) And you're also correct that my O2 is iffy - I only just got the SPOM going within the last 20 cycles or so; and my basic base is unfinished; I haven't sealed it yet, or even finished coring it out. (:brainworms: compels me to think I'm moving too slow here, and the creeping heat or running out of water or something i've missed is gonna catch me up soon :ohdear:)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 14, 2020

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I keep telling myself that this time, I'll be more organized.

Then I end up going with the flow and being reactive and sticking things whereever there's space and before you know it, spaghetti once more.

I'm also a chicken poo poo and still just play Rime.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Good idea, I left the bed that way because I thought vents weren't automatable and really didn't want to try to squeeze in a gas shutoff.

(ed) And you're also correct that my O2 is iffy - I only just got the SPOM going within the last 20 cycles or so; and my basic base is unfinished; I haven't sealed it yet, or even finished coring it out. (:brainworms: compels me to think I'm moving too slow here, and the creeping heat or running out of water or something i've missed is gonna catch me up soon :ohdear:)

The beautiful thing about ranching is that most critters are perfectly happy at the same temps that dupes are, which means you're pretty much able to ignore heat for a lot longer than you would if you're running plants. If you can get a sustainable ranching setup, you've got fantastic food and few temperature worries until such a time as you set up a cooling loop in the base.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

skooma512 posted:

I keep telling myself that this time, I'll be more organized.

Then I end up going with the flow and being reactive and sticking things whereever there's space and before you know it, spaghetti once more.

I'm also a chicken poo poo and still just play Rime.

Same with Rime. I have kids and poo poo I just want to make fun contraptions and chill.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Rime was fun because a tepidizer actually gave life to a base instead of taking it away. Kilns just weren't fast enough to heat crops. Plus I got a great map with lots of metals.

I can't bring myself to start a new base until the expansion. Is there an ETA?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

The beautiful thing about ranching is that most critters are perfectly happy at the same temps that dupes are, which means you're pretty much able to ignore heat for a lot longer than you would if you're running plants. If you can get a sustainable ranching setup, you've got fantastic food and few temperature worries until such a time as you set up a cooling loop in the base.

Not when those animals need to eat the friggin Mealwood :mad: I'm having a lot of trouble coming up with a room design that lets them stay in hydrogen, eat mealwood, and be groomed while making sure the mealwood can actually grow.

I'll fix it eventually but I don't exactly have a lot of fine temperature and gas volume control currently :v: (probably some game mechanic detail I'm ignoring by mistake, too)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 14, 2020

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Not when those animals need to eat the friggin Mealwood :mad: I'm having a lot of trouble coming up with a room design that lets them stay in hydrogen, eat mealwood, and be groomed while making sure the mealwood can actually grow.

I'll fix it eventually but I don't exactly have a lot of fine temperature and gas volume control currently :v: (probably some game mechanic detail I'm ignoring by mistake, too)

Hydrogen is lighter than oxygen so will always move above it. If you create a sealed room of oxygen and use dupes in atmo suits, you can just pump in hydrogen until the oxygen is pushed to the bottom, where you plant your mealwood. Create a platform above with a space to one side (so it still counts as the same room) for your grooming etc stations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So the dreckos being in oxygen half the time while they nosh isn't a problem? I'd thought they had to eat from plants while breathing H2 :eng99:

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

So the dreckos being in oxygen half the time while they nosh isn't a problem? I'd thought they had to eat from plants while breathing H2 :eng99:

No, the H2 only promotes scale growth, so while you want them to be in H2 most of the time, it doesn't matter if they're eating in oxygen.

LostEnder
Jul 3, 2012

It's been a bit since I did the glossy farm, but mine was like 9x9 with the ranching and shearing on a upper level in the hydrogen. The upper level was just above the mealwood, and I left single gaps in the tile to let the dreckos through.

I didn't use suits, but I did leave a notch on the bottom next to the door to trap the carbon dioxide. I manually ran the gasses to start, but it stabilized pretty well with 3 vents on a line at the top and one vent on the plant level at the end, as I recall. I just ran it up to over pressure the vents.

It's not infinitely sustainable, but it did fine for a early push into plastics.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Here’s my old drecko farm:

Hydrogen is topped off from a bridge overflow from the SPOMs, oxygen as well just in case. Doors open for 0.4% of a cycle to drop all the phosphorus down so the sweepers can’t ship it all to my shinebug ranches. You need ~2 mealwood per Drecko to keep them from starving to death. The spend only ~50% of the time in hydrogen but once you have 8-16 glossy dreckos and your bulk items done (beds, etc) it really doesn’t matter much.

There’s also the breeder setups where you mass produce dreckos to be shipped into a hydrogen filled sheer room, they’ll live long enough to be sheered before dying and starving/glum doesn’t affect hair growth.

Same deal as the mass production food rooms that work on the same principle; Keep one ranch happy for breeding and ship all the eggs away. Those are likely the best results for least dupe effort and what I’ll probably do next base.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 14, 2020

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

You can also starvation ranch dreckos for their scales. Keeping some breeding dreckos in an area that is actively cooled to keep the mealwood alive (you can keep this area in full oxygen) and then dumping all excess eggs into a hydrogen-filled chamber with shearing stations will let you have your starving population of dreckos be sheared regularly while the breeding dreckos keep the population up. It's a bit, uh, morbid, but it does work.

One thing to keep in mind is that dreckos are born fairly hot and will slowly leech heat into the mealwood area, so it will need to be cooled on a regular basis.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I find that buy the time I get enough parts and tech in place to gather enough H2, ranch drekos, set up automation, etc to keep a breeder / starvation setup its just a minor skip to just make an atmosuit dock and grab from the oil biome.

Bonus I can get a ton of lead i would use for the refined metal i would use anyway.

I find i skip a lot of the game mechanics. i dont bother with any crops after my hatches are sustainable, and its almost not worth the effort to spin up gristle berries after mealwood, just go right to mushrooms. I started to ignore a gas grill since BBQ keeps me good.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Roundboy posted:

I find that buy the time I get enough parts and tech in place to gather enough H2, ranch drekos, set up automation, etc to keep a breeder / starvation setup its just a minor skip to just make an atmosuit dock and grab from the oil biome.

Bonus I can get a ton of lead i would use for the refined metal i would use anyway.

I find i skip a lot of the game mechanics. i dont bother with any crops after my hatches are sustainable, and its almost not worth the effort to spin up gristle berries after mealwood, just go right to mushrooms. I started to ignore a gas grill since BBQ keeps me good.

The one time I tried to do drecko ranching for plastic, I realized I had screwed it up and the room was too hot to grow mealwood in. I just said gently caress it and drilled for oil.

I've also never ranched hatches for whatever reason.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I mean i really only play on the default (easy?) map which means i dont need to worry about most things. I would rather figure out all the mechanics that work well for me and figure out how i like my builds.

I used to follow the (francas john?) method of making a great hall, with my cooking stuff right past it. using my inital coal power to make my co2 pit. Lately if been enjoying making my grill wherever i drat well please, and keeping a series of powered fridges that hold only the final food product right outside the entrance. Im trying to optimize the bathroom / food / storage space.

I used to keep powered fridges in a CO2 pit, to keep overflow food sterile until there was fridge room, but even though the food won't spoil, it still becomes 'unfresh' when in an open pit. Playing with some automation to figure it all out.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Roundboy posted:

Yeah I'm just going to evolve the dreckos and go exploring for oil when I load the game tonight; I've got eight dupes and seven exosuits for them (rancher gets to stay home :( ), I've got no reason not to just go

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Roundboy posted:

What about on asteroid types with no thimble reeds?

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah I'm just going to evolve the dreckos and go exploring for oil when I load the game tonight; I've got eight dupes and seven exosuits for them (rancher gets to stay home :( ), I've got no reason not to just go

The drecko starvation ranch works 700 tons of plastic well. It is stupid once it gets going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure how useful it will be to you, but I want to plug the guide I've been working on. It's in the OP. Setting up and taking those screenshots take a while you know! There's probably some useful info in there.

I hope to get back to it soon; I feel a sense of incompleteness in my life while it's still a WIP, haha. Add comments to it for any sections you think I should add.