Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

John Murdoch posted:

It's come up a few times in the Steam thread and I think the consensus there was more or less the opposite, that you can largely ignore most of the DLC and maybe pick out a handful extra bits and bobs piecemeal if they pique your interest. But I could be wrong; I stopped paying close attention to the game after I tried it on free weekend and realized it just wasn't for me.

StrixNebulosa posted:

This is incorrect the base game will keep you busy for at least 20+ hours long before you need or want any DLC

I did decide to go with it in the humble sim bundle.
I'm sure I will enjoy it either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

a gay lion named Tangiers posted:

I've had an itch recently for something that is basically like Don't Starve plus something like Factorio. The basic gameplay loop of have nothing -> harvest things with nothing until you can make something that can harvest things easily -> harvest thing X enough times that you can build something that will automatically harvest thing X -> move on to thing Y.

Something like Skyblock for Minecraft is a perfect example (or Seablock for Factorio, but that quickly goes way more nuts than I want to go). I know there are tons of mods for Minecraft that do this but I feel like I've mostly explored them with Skyblock. I've obviously tried Seablock. I've played The Forest, Raft and Salt. Astroneer. (Just going through my Steam library now.) Empyrion. FortressCraft Evolved. Kenshi. Meeple Station. Rimworld. Rise to Ruins. Oxygen Not Included.

Most of these don't even fit my description, I'm just trying to nail down what I'm looking for. I guess what I really want is something like Skyblock but as either a modpack for a different game, or a game that kind of fits what I'm describing.

Seconding Satisfactory

I also suggest Forager if 2D is more what you've got in mind

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Chas McGill posted:

Need some strategic, competitive board game adaptations that work with 3 players. We currently play Carcassonne and Catan Universe and it'd be great to have some variety. We tried Waterdeep, but the UX was so terrible we refunded it, despite the game seeming interesting, so a really clear interface is a must.

Talisman?

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Chas McGill posted:

Need some strategic, competitive board game adaptations that work with 3 players. We currently play Carcassonne and Catan Universe and it'd be great to have some variety. We tried Waterdeep, but the UX was so terrible we refunded it, despite the game seeming interesting, so a really clear interface is a must.

Check out Through the Ages

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Chas McGill posted:

Tabletop Simulator will have a mod for every boardgame you can imagine.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not sure it's a game that exists, but I want to play an isometric ARPG with grim Diablo 1 vibes that has combat that is more involved and challenging that just mashing buttons and watching poo poo explode.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nox is what you want.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

a gay lion named Tangiers posted:

I've had an itch recently for something that is basically like Don't Starve plus something like Factorio. The basic gameplay loop of have nothing -> harvest things with nothing until you can make something that can harvest things easily -> harvest thing X enough times that you can build something that will automatically harvest thing X -> move on to thing Y.

Something like Skyblock for Minecraft is a perfect example (or Seablock for Factorio, but that quickly goes way more nuts than I want to go). I know there are tons of mods for Minecraft that do this but I feel like I've mostly explored them with Skyblock. I've obviously tried Seablock. I've played The Forest, Raft and Salt. Astroneer. (Just going through my Steam library now.) Empyrion. FortressCraft Evolved. Kenshi. Meeple Station. Rimworld. Rise to Ruins. Oxygen Not Included.

Most of these don't even fit my description, I'm just trying to nail down what I'm looking for. I guess what I really want is something like Skyblock but as either a modpack for a different game, or a game that kind of fits what I'm describing.

Might want to look into Oxygen Not Included (made by Klei who also made Don't Starve).

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I'm not sure it's a game that exists, but I want to play an isometric ARPG with grim Diablo 1 vibes that has combat that is more involved and challenging that just mashing buttons and watching poo poo explode.
Victor Vran has a diabloish atmosphere and more actionary, reactive combat

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Chas McGill posted:

I suggest 7 Wonders, which is available on boardgamearena.com

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Thanks for all the boardgame recs, everyone! Should be enough for keep us going for a while.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Children of Morta is pretty dang good and encourages intelligent dodging and blocking along with some interesting skills.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Chas McGill posted:

Armello

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe

Fruits of the sea posted:

Children of Morta is pretty dang good and encourages intelligent dodging and blocking along with some interesting skills.

It's very good.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Pipski posted:

Talisman?

Talisman is the opposite of strategic and competitive, unless you were kidding and then haha :)

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Mayveena posted:

Talisman is the opposite of strategic and competitive, unless you were kidding and then haha :)
Yeah, we tried it a few years ago and it seemed to just be about going round and round the board rolling dice.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
hello I want to play a game where I am a wizzard. Please help.

note: skyrim's plot is tiresome , though I could try it again with some good mods maybe.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

the fart question posted:

note: skyrim's plot is tiresome , though I could try it again with some good mods maybe.

played Noita? plot is minimal, you are a witch (close enough) with no evident sense of morals or self-preservation, a tenuous grasp of physics, and one hell of a mighty boot

https://i.imgur.com/DZQ83wi.mp4

other options: throw saw blades at enemies to make them especially bloody, then turn the blood to acid

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 13, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Okay I need a weird rec. I want a game to read to. Something like Jurassic World Evolution or Sims or Rimworld even, where I can set things up and watch them unfold and poke at them, but there's also enough downtime to read and not have all of my attention on the game. This is frustratingly different from podcast games because I cannot read to Monster Train or Euro Truck without literally not playing or crashing my truck.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay I need a weird rec. I want a game to read to. Something like Jurassic World Evolution or Sims or Rimworld even, where I can set things up and watch them unfold and poke at them, but there's also enough downtime to read and not have all of my attention on the game. This is frustratingly different from podcast games because I cannot read to Monster Train or Euro Truck without literally not playing or crashing my truck.

checked out Oxygen Not Included? side-on Rimworld with derpier but cuter colonists. like Rimworld the game is a bit much at full speed, especially in the first crucial couple days, but on slow you've got a ton of time to potentially let it run itself.

(also like Rimworld you have to be ok with it all falling apart, though here it's more the slow inevitable death of something that needed to be taken care of like an hour ago. Suffocating on CO2 and fart-gas, or starving when the encroaching heat kills all the plants in your uninsulated farm, or a million other ways

Plenty of adjustable difficulty and sandbox modes and mods and crap to tune all that tho

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

checked out Oxygen Not Included? side-on Rimworld with derpier but cuter colonists. like Rimworld the game is a bit much at full speed, especially in the first crucial couple days, but on slow you've got a ton of time to potentially let it run itself.

(also like Rimworld you have to be ok with it all falling apart, though here it's more the slow inevitable death of something that needed to be taken care of like an hour ago. Suffocating on CO2 and fart-gas, or starving when the encroaching heat kills all the plants in your uninsulated farm, or a million other ways

Plenty of adjustable difficulty and sandbox modes and mods and crap to tune all that tho

I already have it and haven't figured it out to my satisfaction yet. :sigh: Thanks tho!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

veni veni veni posted:

Possibly Chronicon but I bounced off it immediately so I dunno,. Other people seem to like it.

Also consider Diablo 2 mods. Median XL for changing a bunch of stuff, Path of Diablo for vanilla-ish online shenanigans

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dragon's Dogma and Magicka.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

StrixNebulosa posted:

I guess maybe try playing cities: skylines without speeding the game up? You can play it in bursts of putting down a neighbourhood and then waiting and watching it grow?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

StrixNebulosa posted:

Kerbal Space Program

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Crusader Kings 3 just came out

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

I guess maybe try playing cities: skylines without speeding the game up? You can play it in bursts of putting down a neighbourhood and then waiting and watching it grow?

I still haven't grokked that one either, hmmm.

Splicer posted:

Kerbal Space Program

ahaha I wish, no. Good game but no.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Crusader Kings 3 just came out

I want it but I'm waiting at least a decade before I buy the gold edition with all DLC okay. (well or until I crack but right now it's too expensive)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

StrixNebulosa posted:

Parkitect?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Wizard of legend

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Rise to Ruins! Once you've got your stuff set up you'll have a lot of waiting time, especially if you play on a lower difficulty.
e: oh, and forager in the later parts of the game.

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 13, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Some interesting recs, thanks guys.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

I really liked Elite: Dangeous for this - you can play as a space trucker and you'll only need to manually get involved for a few seconds every ~5-20 minutes (depending on how much local space you need to fly through before jumping to the next star) but unfrotunately cannot fully automate it and you need to perform each jump manually, but you can set up significant amounts of time between jumps where you ship just autopilots.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I want it but I'm waiting at least a decade before I buy the gold edition with all DLC okay. (well or until I crack but right now it's too expensive)
it's on Xbox Game Pass, you can get it for a month for $1!

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Flight Simulator!

It's on Gamepass so you can try for $1.

You can set up a route, go through some of the motions for takeoff and climbing to altitude, then let the plane cruise on autopilot while you read or do whatever. Works great with a controller though fiddling with the plane's computer is mostly done with MKB anyway. You can also skip most of the flying parts and simply spawn mid-air anywhere in the world to enjoy the views.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I've been playing Star Renegades on gamepass and it's scratched and itch that I want more of. Looking for a turn-based rpg that has a strong focus on character progression and loot. I have minimal interest in exploring or overworld gameplay and would prefer something that maximizes times in encounters.

Probably leaning more towards JRPG than CRPG, mostly because I've exhausted most of my options in the latter and have barely scratched the former.

e: Primarily PC but I will consider Switch games as well.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 14, 2020

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Teeter posted:

I've been playing Star Renegades on gamepass and it's scratched and itch that I want more of. Looking for a turn-based rpg that has a strong focus on character progression and loot. I have minimal interest in exploring or overworld gameplay and would prefer something that maximizes times in encounters.

Probably leaning more towards JRPG than CRPG, mostly because I've exhausted most of my options in the latter and have barely scratched the former.

Fire emblem perhaps?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Teeter posted:

Disgaea. You have a lot of flexability in how you build your party (or just make one badass murderer) and you can you can make your loot better too. It's all a giant grind but it's great.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Walh Hara posted:

Fire emblem perhaps?

Thanks for the Fire Emblem rec, one thing I've realized with Star Renegades is that even though I don't like the art style much, it hasn't detracted from the gameplay itself and there's probably a whole world of classic RPGs I've skipped over that will still hold up today. Added this to my dekudeals wishlist but I should note that right now I'm mainly looking for games on PC.

The General posted:

Disgaea. You have a lot of flexability in how you build your party (or just make one badass murderer) and you can you can make your loot better too. It's all a giant grind but it's great.

Gamepass just added Disgaea 4 Complete+. Is it cool to jump in here or is there any reason to seek out an earlier one?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The PC port of Disgaea 5 came out earlier for some reason, and the way I hear it D5 is the better game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Teeter posted:

Flight Simulator!

It's on Gamepass so you can try for $1.

You can set up a route, go through some of the motions for takeoff and climbing to altitude, then let the plane cruise on autopilot while you read or do whatever. Works great with a controller though fiddling with the plane's computer is mostly done with MKB anyway. You can also skip most of the flying parts and simply spawn mid-air anywhere in the world to enjoy the views.

So that's Microsoft Flight Sim? The one that released in August? I'll put it on the wishlist, thanks.