Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Dren posted:

it’s worse than star tours. on star tours you can kick back and enjoy the show. on SR you have to constantly look away from the screen to hit buttons which aren’t even good gameplay (I was engineer it’s just wait for a button to light up and hit it quick). Plus on star tours fun stuff happens to you like darth vader grabbing your ship, etc.

Taking non gamers on this blew their minds so milage may vary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Universal studios has done coronavirus like a joke and with bars not serving booze they filled that gap right up

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Smuggler's Run is worth it just to walk into the cockpit of the Falcon. Yes it's Disney pandering to that part of my Star Wars brain, but it worked. It was one of those things just totally hit me when I the door opened.

Also, from what I understand right now it's only your party that goes in the ride, so if it's just two of you, you'll always get to drive.

I've been looking at the ride times on the app and...did they raise park capacity? I'll have to watch it more this week but all 4 parks seemed realllllllly busy this weekend. I saw a bunch of rides at MK with wait times around 1 hour. That's not the worst thing ever, but if that's going to be the case now, they should be bring back Fastpass, even if it's more like the FP at DLR.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Junkie Disease posted:

Regardless of overall ride opinion, putting the Engineers' buttons on the side wall rather than in front of them is a world-class design blunder.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Did you see chewies bed?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
to be clear, i’m not saying smuggler’s run is bad just that star tours is better

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
If you don't sorta tear up when pulling the light speed lever, are you even human?

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Dren posted:

it’s worse than star tours. on star tours you can kick back and enjoy the show. on SR you have to constantly look away from the screen to hit buttons which aren’t even good gameplay (I was engineer it’s just wait for a button to light up and hit it quick). Plus on star tours fun stuff happens to you like darth vader grabbing your ship, etc.

Junkie Disease posted:

My wife isn't a gamer and had a similar review as Dren. The concept was cool, but it didn't seem like our actions were really impacting anything. But she did sit co-pilot and at least got to pull the hyperspace lever.

Speaking of which, its true that its single parties per cockpit. So my wife and I were pilot and co-pilot by ourselves. We think it would have been more fun with more people.

We rode Star Tours on the way to dinner and actually enjoyed the Rise of Skywalker scenes in the ride way more than the actual movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Smugglers run is iffy if you don’t drive.

The shooting is really tedious. But sitting in that cockpit tho....fuuuhccccckk

But it does change things if you suck in the ride. You get dropped off to a different exit. Small changes, but hey.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Jose Oquendo posted:

I've been looking at the ride times on the app and...did they raise park capacity? I'll have to watch it more this week but all 4 parks seemed realllllllly busy this weekend. I saw a bunch of rides at MK with wait times around 1 hour. That's not the worst thing ever, but if that's going to be the case now, they should be bring back Fastpass, even if it's more like the FP at DLR.

The only wait at MK we had over an hour was Mine Train. Everything else on Saturday moved along pretty quick. Only crowding we dealt with was when rain would get heavier and everyone was looking for cover. So if the crowds were "increased," then I can't imagine what prior weeks looked like.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I feel like they might have to split Smugglers a la Mission Space Green/Orange
Except instead of varying the intensity, it’ll be one side if you want the interactive experience, one side of you just want to ride a ride.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/1305522606691540993

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Good. Universal's known that poo poo was dangerous from day 1 because they tried to cram it into the space available instead of finding a more appropriate attraction.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Smugglers Run is good from entering the queue until you start the ride. I'm pretty positive they'll add more levels and such though, so there's definitely room to make it better.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Coasterphreak posted:

Good. Universal's known that poo poo was dangerous from day 1 because they tried to cram it into the space available instead of finding a more appropriate attraction.
I have to admit though, part of me wants to ride that waterslide now.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Tim Whatley posted:

Smugglers Run is good from entering the queue until you start the ride. I'm pretty positive they'll add more levels and such though, so there's definitely room to make it better.

Did they indicate this was a possibility? It seems easy enough to do, the lore would just be another delivery job you're doing.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

At its most basic it's operating on the world's sickest gaming PC so I don't see why not. Nothing about the pre shows or anything are necessarily confined to that one configuration if I recall correctly.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Just call Jim Cummings and have him babble more poo poo into his cell phone and BOOM you got a new pre-show.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

BlueBayou posted:

I feel like they might have to split Smugglers a la Mission Space Green/Orange
Except instead of varying the intensity, it’ll be one side if you want the interactive experience, one side of you just want to ride a ride.

This is a good idea even though it's just star tours, but you're in the millenium falcon.

They could fix smuggler's run by changing the gameplay but I'm sure they'll never do that so ehhh.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Replace Hondo with Rango a giant lizard

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Regardless of overall ride opinion, putting the Engineers' buttons on the side wall rather than in front of them is a world-class design blunder.

:yeah:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Smuggler's Run seems specifically made to be upgraded with new missions like how Star Tours has randomized scenes. It's a proper computer game rather than just a video (some people even had a glitch send them into a debug room) and all of the mission-specific dialogue to prep you is on screens before you board. Unless the ride system is totally bonkers, it should be relatively trivial to add new missions as they're developed and get more voice acting from Cummings.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
When it was announced there were going to be 3 missions. Cutbacks left us with 1.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I'd love to know how the Rise system would have held up if the shutdown hadn't happened. Both the digital queue and the mechanicals. Do we know if they've done any work on the ride system to beef it up?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
https://twitter.com/yourWDWguy/status/1305944584233594887

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

there's just no hope for this country

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Remember hopper!? the pedo rapist!??

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Tweet gone?

Also I loved Rebels, Clone Wars and found Hondo a really fun character... I'm not sure he's the right choice for Smugglers and having to listen to him quite so intensely in ride. Maybe have him do the preshow and someone else take the second part? Also what's worse than feeling like you're doing nothing on Smuggler's Run? Have your flight controls work but be just broken enough to where my Tie Fighter on the PC in 1995 and never stopped since levels of experience rear end got it's heart broken :(

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://imgur.com/qVwGqNu

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Its weird how much more I love Lt Beck than Hondo, and I've watched the shows with Hondo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

J33uk posted:

Tweet gone?

Also I loved Rebels, Clone Wars and found Hondo a really fun character... I'm not sure he's the right choice for Smugglers and having to listen to him quite so intensely in ride. Maybe have him do the preshow and someone else take the second part? Also what's worse than feeling like you're doing nothing on Smuggler's Run? Have your flight controls work but be just broken enough to where my Tie Fighter on the PC in 1995 and never stopped since levels of experience rear end got it's heart broken :(

I flew for the first time last weekend and I can understand why people crash so much now. They're extremely floaty and heavy, so you move slightly later and slightly more than you expect to. I'm an ace sim pilot so I had no crashes, but someone without any skill would be the worst.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

babu frik's ewok run

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

I flew for the first time last weekend and I can understand why people crash so much now. They're extremely floaty and heavy, so you move slightly later and slightly more than you expect to. I'm an ace sim pilot so I had no crashes, but someone without any skill would be the worst.

hando should install a flight stick for both the pilot and co-pilot that controls the way people expect. to give the co-pilot a turn, halfway through the ride the falcon gets shot or something and the co-pilot gets to take over.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Just do it like Airbus and average out the inputs.

What could go wrong?

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Did you guys do the secret Chewbacca stuff on Smugglers Run? Thought that was pretty neat.

The actual ride is decently fun if you're a pilot. Thought it was just OK for anyone else.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

if you ever get stuck on the ride there's a looping sequence of chewie yelling at hando. it's pretty great.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Oh that's fun!

The Chewie stuff wasn't public knowledge back when I flew although I'd have saved it for a follow up for sure. I feel like I may be stealing this idea from this thread but...

The idea of a series of sit down stools following the mission pre-ride where you could practice the flying controls for 30 seconds in a wireframe environment would be huge. Short enough not to spoil the actual flying experience itself, not expensive beyond the physical controls, a few 40 inch LCDs and some basic hardware to drive it. This would go a long way in terms of improving performance (We're talking DS 1 to DS 2 levels of growth fellas!!1) and giving everyone at least a taste of the pilot role and perhaps even encouraging a re-ride to get people wanting to come back again.

J33uk fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Sep 16, 2020

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s kind of what the first 30 seconds is when you lift off is supposed to be

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

That’s kind of what the first 30 seconds is when you lift off is supposed to be

I think so much of that is overtaken by the "Holy poo poo" of it all though that it doesn't function that well, having it happen outside the cockpit would hopefully allow it to sink in a little better. Or not and I'm just chasing waterfalls here, which honestly is a pretty real possibility. It's just drat, it should be such a staggeringly good ride and it just... Isn't right now. There's also a good chance that's it's just a "hell is other people" problem.

J33uk fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Falcon needs to provide six independent gameplay experiences inside the same experience to be good. By independent I mean the actions of the players can’t negatively effect each other too much. It more or less does this but the minigames everyone is playing are pretty bad. Pilot’s controls are wonky. Gunner has little incentive to do anything but “hold down gun button”. Engineer plays whack a mole, distracting from the screen.

Fix the controls to be what people expect (flight sticks for pilots, at least a joystick for the gunner if not a whole back of a big turret) and make it possible to engage more with the game (if you’re skilled you can do better) and that will go a long way without adding missions. Gunner is a big disappointment since it’s nothing like the gun pod in the movies. No clue what to do with engineer, it’s pretty dumb. Maybe you could sit in the back reading a manual about the ship.