Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
https://twitter.com/hillythefish/status/1302275111249158146?s=21
69 is a number with no humorous connotations whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yeah, kids still transmit the disease, they just don't tend to show symptoms. Hence why piling them back into schools is such an insanely risky thing to do.

I've been watching TV news god help my soul and it was amazing to me how this never came up. Like zero discussion of how kids can still be carriers even if they don't get sick and barely a fleeting mention of how teachers/cleaners/office staff were all going into these environments.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

serious gaylord posted:

Ed just murdered the Pm on live tele.
Ed's going to get asked to resign from the shadow cabinet, he's being insufficiently comradely at this time of great crisis

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

The Question IRL posted:

There's a second factor. Which is they prefer moving water, but when it comes to non moving water they favour rain water (even stagnant pond water) over tap water where they smell chlorine.

I have gotten one of those cat fountains to see if my cats will go for it.

I got one for mine and then had to get another, much bigger one because the idiot dog kept emptying it in one go. Now the cat completely ignores the one I bought him and drinks from the dog's bowl just because he's an arsehole who will take anything at all the dog has just because.

Oh and the (good) cat fountains should get rid of the chlorine pretty quickly between the agitation and the carbon filter.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Gonzo McFee posted:

I've been watching TV news god help my soul and it was amazing to me how this never came up. Like zero discussion of how kids can still be carriers even if they don't get sick and barely a fleeting mention of how teachers/cleaners/office staff were all going into these environments.

Well don't you know that adults who work in schools actually live in cupboards in the schools.
They come out around 730am-8am in the morning to start the day's tasks, and every evening go back into the cupboard.
They have no personal lives, no families or friends.

Any fule kno who reads MSM comments about 'lazy teachers' 'long holidays' 'when I was at school 50 kids sat in a straight line, never misbehaved and lurned (sic )good"

(I keep banging on about total lack of consideration of adults working in schools on FB. I can feel the 'unfollows' going on :) )

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Gonzo McFee posted:

I think I've said this several times before but moving back in with boomers who get all of their info from the BBC news bulletin has been an extremely educational and genuinely depressing experience, and the idea that they're probably more representative of the average citizen than I am is not comforting.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Necrothatcher posted:

Lot of people walking out of the supermarket across from my house today with massive bundles of toilet roll under their arms.

poo poo!!

*goes to shops and buys huge packs of toilet roll*

e: could we here in the thread precipitate a bog roll rush? goon project

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

What channel / programme is this on? Would like to see Ed getting one over on Boris :)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

serious gaylord posted:

this sounds amazing but its probably just him saying something and people laugh but bojo is still alive and pm

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Payndz posted:

69 is a number with no humorous connotations whatsoever.

69 is the weed number.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Communist Thoughts posted:

this sounds amazing but its probably just him saying something and people laugh but bojo is still alive and pm

Johnson looked very sad and shook his head a lot, just like he did before winning a general election.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Andrexodus II

Last I read they were saying it looks like kids are more susceptible to the heart symptoms than the flu but if course we won't really know until much later. On the one hand it's not hard proof, on the other its your HEART. Can't imagine how parents are being blasé about that risk. Lying there feeling my heart run slow and thinking welp, better write out my will wasn't the most fun bit of Corona, dunno about you

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

WhatEvil posted:

69 is the weed number.

No that's 1488.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

The commute today was fun, everyone clumping around the doors to the train, dozens of kids running round, the hot weather making no-one wear a mask.

pitch a fitness posted:

And plus ça change, it's deployed

How is this pronounced? Like 'cha ching' like a till?

It's exciting wondering how poo poo something will be rather than if it will be poo poo.

https://twitter.com/bethchevron/status/1305258955732647937

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
MOD planning for the RN to have a lot more sea to sail soon.

No 1488 is the sex number with heavy caveats.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Fully anticipate that puppet to be found broken just before filming starts. Jury will of course rule it self inflicted.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

No 1488 is the sex number with heavy caveats.

69 is the sex number because it looks like two people with their heads buried in each other's crotches.

88 is the fash sex number because it looks like two fat fuckers lying side by side not touching one another.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
14 is the other fash sex number for far worse reasons.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Ok yay kitties but I am in awe of your book arrangement.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Interesting thread from the FT graph wonk about the return to work featured this infographic:

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1305541279342878721/photo/1

Who the gently caress is commuting to London from Devon?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

1 is a headless person with their arms thrown back in joy as they plow enthusiastically into the rear of 4, which is another headless person squatting with their elbows on their knees.

I feel like my third eye has been opened by this revelation. All the numbers be fuckin'.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

justcola posted:

How is this pronounced? Like 'cha ching' like a till?

Ploo sa shonge, more or less

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I just read it as plusky change.

minema
May 31, 2011
One of the doctors at work has apparently tested positive for covid and I spent a good few hours last week in a 2mx2m office with her. It doesn't count as a contact to trigger self isolation as we were both wearing masks the whole time (also half the nurses and doctors who worked last week would also have to go off which isn't sustainable!) but I feel veeeeeery uncomfortable about it and really don't want to go back on the wards again tomorrow :(

My colleagues are all very chill about it because they were working in the hospital through the first peak so got used to it then I think. I started in July and there's not been many covid cases at all so I'm kinda freaking out!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Interesting thread from the FT graph wonk about the return to work featured this infographic:

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1305541279342878721/photo/1

I guess people who commute in on Monday morning, stay in a cheap hotel, and go home Friday evening? because Plymouth to Paddington is >3 hours so I can't imagine anyone's doing that both ways daily

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Julio Cruz posted:

I guess people who commute in on Monday morning, stay in a cheap hotel, and go home Friday evening? because Plymouth to Paddington is >3 hours so I can't imagine anyone's doing that both ways daily

Also maybe people who work jobs such that they only need to be in the office/on site 2 or 3 days a week. I can see it being manageable like that. Still a ball-ache.

I have a mate who runs a business doing computery networking stuff in Manchester but some of his big clients are in London, so he regularly travels there by train. I'm not sure if it's on the scale of a couple of times a week but I guess maybe he could be classed as a commuter?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
https://twitter.com/Acelliott79/status/1305556044790329344?s=19

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

stev posted:

Johnson looked very sad and shook his head a lot, just like he did before winning a general election.

this is good
https://twitter.com/Ed_Miliband/status/1305552766019006469

this is better
https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1305546881272029188

like you say though, he's still PM. Getting dunks on him and calling him a useless oval office is cathartic, but the whole establishment still conspires to keep people like him in power and largely inoculated from the consequences of their actions...especially since he discovered that one weird trick of loving up and just not apologizing or stepping down or firing people.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I used to know a guy who got the train from York to London every day for work, which seems insane

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

ThomasPaine posted:

I used to know a guy who got the train from York to London every day for work, which seems insane

Two hours each way. Sounds like a life worth living

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

goddamnedtwisto posted:

An absolute oval office of a professor that worked in my department finally hosed off for a job in London but still lives locally and commutes up on a monday and back on a friday.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

As Tony donors pop up a bit in the thread, for a bit of fun I thought I'd have a look at the Electoral Commission website to see who was who

Just having a quick look, there was 2707 donations since 01/01/2019 averaging 20k and totalling 59m. The biggest donations are from JCB services and JC Bamford Excavators totally 3.2m+. Beyond that it starts getting a bit fishy and murky.

Ideally I'd like to be able to export all the government tenders done in the last 21 months and just match names up in a dumb way, but can't work out how to do that on the government tender website. On the other hand its fun just reading through and finding out Flamingo Land donated 50k. Or a Russian banker called Lubov Chernukhin donated over £900,000. Did you know the instigator of psychometric testing in the workplace, Peter Saville, donated £100k? Why did Fujitsu donate £14,417? Will we see M&M Supplies, donating over £200k, somehow integral to shipping goods about in a few months? If the United Karate Association donated 2k, is karate Tory?

All these questions and more eagerly await to sit in a spreadsheet with Companies House in a tab in the background

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

My mum used to commute from South Wales to London very day.
In the olden days (1980s/90s) train from Newport to London took just 1hr 32 mins on the InterCity. Dad drove her to Newport station about 15 mins away, then from Paddington she took the circle or district line and her work was just a few minutes walk from a relevant tube station. She's a fan of early rising so used to get the train at about 530am, always got a seat with a table so she could do some work, and be in work most mornings before 8am.

She did try renting a flat but quite often found it took longer to get from Streatham to her work than from home to her work, and the cost of renting the flat was about the same as a season ticket, and the parentals missed each other.

When I worked for a large, popular (ahem) national transport infrastructure company some of my colleagues were commuting in from Doncaster, Crewe and so on. It was never worth moving because at any time your work base might be moved anywhere else with short notice. Euston HQ was closed down and shifted to Milton Keynes for example.

Continuity RCP posted:

Two hours each way. Sounds like a life worth living

My daily commute from Walthamstow to Croydon used to take 1h30 in the morning and 1h45 in the evening and at least twice a week 'signal failures' etc meant it took many more hours. (Job was based in Victoria when I took it and then moved to Croydon and then some people in my department got hived off to Waterloo, so again, not worth moving and who the heck wants to live in Croydon anyway?)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 14, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

justcola posted:

As Tony donors pop up a bit in the thread, for a bit of fun I thought I'd have a look at the Electoral Commission website to see who was who

Just having a quick look, there was 2707 donations since 01/01/2019 averaging 20k and totalling 59m. The biggest donations are from JCB services and JC Bamford Excavators totally 3.2m+. Beyond that it starts getting a bit fishy and murky.

Ideally I'd like to be able to export all the government tenders done in the last 21 months and just match names up in a dumb way, but can't work out how to do that on the government tender website. On the other hand its fun just reading through and finding out Flamingo Land donated 50k. Or a Russian banker called Lubov Chernukhin donated over £900,000. Did you know the instigator of psychometric testing in the workplace, Peter Saville, donated £100k? Why did Fujitsu donate £14,417? Will we see M&M Supplies, donating over £200k, somehow integral to shipping goods about in a few months? If the United Karate Association donated 2k, is karate Tory?

All these questions and more eagerly await to sit in a spreadsheet with Companies House in a tab in the background

nm I didn't read your idea properly.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I can imagine a commute like that working just fine for people who (a) do the sort of work that can be done on a laptop and (b) have no life outside of their job and live to work

An extra 4 hours each day finessing that PowerPoint for next weeks meeting while the scenery goes by is no biggee for the sad git whose only hobby is skiing in Japan twice a year and golf every other week (btw these are both done in the pursuit of work relationships and any fun that is had is purely incidental)

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
How about Wales to London DAILY

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25551393

quote:

Porthcawl, Wales to Watford near London
Distance: 181 miles (291km)

Duration: Six-hour round trip

Mode of transport: Car

Gary Egan: "I live in Porthcawl, Wales, and travel a minimum of five days a week to Watford. My alarm goes off at 03:30 each day and my journey takes two-and-a-half to three hours. I aim to be in the office for 06:30. My day can last as much as 12 hours as I am the head of production for a large format graphic company. I then travel home when there is a lot more traffic than there is in the mornings, with average of three to three-and-a-half hours being the norm for this single journey.

"If the work allows then I try to get away mid-afternoon so I have some time with my partner when I get home, but this is quite often not the case.

"The journey is 181 miles (291km) in each direction - the diesel bill is £900 a month. My worst journey has been four hours. My route is fairly basic as I use the M4 and M25 and luckily I am only on the M25 for a short time.

"I have quite a stressful job so I use the journey home to sort my day out in my head and to make a plan for the following day. I have Radio 2 on in the background. I will take calls (hands-free of course). My car reads out text messages and I can send messages back again by talking via the Bluetooth connection.

"I would love to have a job nearer home. However, the opportunities aren't the same here in Wales, as my field is quite narrow.

"My partner works for South Wales Police and also has a stressful job, and although we have discussed the options for a move, we feel our quality of life is much better here than it would be closer to my workplace in Watford. I like to run and on a weekend - within five minutes of me leaving my front door, I am running alongside the beach and the sea. Everybody is so friendly here and it is a real community spirit where neighbours genuinely want to help, should there be a need.

"Both my partner and myself have lived in London and the surrounding areas and despite the travel, I know I am much better off here than I am closer to my place of work."

Edit: And this one.

quote:

Ramsbottom, Lancashire to Aldgate, London
Distance: 218 miles (351km)

Duration: Six-hour round trip

Mode of transport: Car, train, tube

Stuart Williams: "I work as an IT project manager in the city by Aldgate and commute daily from home.

"My day starts at 04:45, before leaving home for a 25-mile drive to Stockport train station at 6am. From Euston I then get the tube to Aldgate arriving just before 09:00 - if everything is working as it should be. I then make the return journey at 18:00 from Euston, arriving home at 21:00. I've worked out that the travel is exactly the same as the cost of renting in London - so therefore a better option."

Travel costs the same as renting in London, so therefore worth sacrificing all my free time in the week for....

escapegoat fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 14, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I can imagine a commute like that working just fine for people who (a) do the sort of work that can be done on a laptop and (b) have no life outside of their job and live to work

An extra 4 hours each day finessing that PowerPoint for next weeks meeting while the scenery goes by is no biggee for the sad git whose only hobby is skiing in Japan twice a year and golf every other week (btw these are both done in the pursuit of work relationships and any fun that is had is purely incidental)

My mum's work was pre-laptops it was all paper based. She was a teacher. Did a lot of her marking on the morning train.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Yeah I knew someone who commuted from Manchester to London most days, which seemed insane until I realised his commute (as he was in walking distance of the station at both ends) lasted about as long as another friend who commuted from just outside of Wigan to Manchester.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I used to have a five hour commute, I'd wake up at half 5 and get home just before 8. Didn't do much besides work and if there were any traffic jams my day would be hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamacardiology/fullarticle/2768916

quote:

Findings In this cohort study including 100 patients recently recovered from COVID-19 identified from a COVID-19 test center, cardiac magnetic resonance imaging revealed cardiac involvement in 78 patients (78%) and ongoing myocardial inflammation in 60 patients (60%), which was independent of preexisting conditions, severity and overall course of the acute illness, and the time from the original diagnosis.

Giving everyone cardiac fibrosis and possibly future heart failure, to resuscitate the economy.