Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

That Italian Guy posted:

. One of my favorite scenes from the comic (minor comic spoiler) is when Vought wants to sell a new toyline, so they introduce the Noirjet. Black Noir is undergoing training with someone from the Air Force, but he keeps crashing planes cause he's too dumb to learn. .

Nah, he keeps crashing them cos gently caress flying in planes.

Lol at taking the light touch approach on the racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Rather than also complaining about willfully obtuse idiots in the thread, I thought I'd put in a plug for both the bonkers 1980s Pippi movie and the guys from We Hate Movies talking about it.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Riatsala posted:

All of a sudden I'm really interested in what's going with Black Noir. He's the most driven and focused of the Seven (in fact, he seems to be the only one who actually does field work at this point) but he's still totally an enigma. They've gone out of their way to suggest a deeper pathology going on with the guy this season, what with playing with the kid's stuffed rabbit, showing respect for Lucy, and crying at finding out he's created with compound V.

Yeah, don't forget the note he gave the tech was scribbled multiple times like a child wrote it :v:

Honestly the thing I love about this show is most of the non-supe chars are total softies. Frenchie and his "petit hughie" and his love of Kimiko, the small stuff like he was suffocated with a hello kitty blanket, implying he really liked hello kitty when he was younger. Mother's Milk coming out with totally left field remarks about his family and his home life, his constant expressions of love for his family (the Downtown Abbey thing lmfao). How Butcher does in fact care about the rest of the boys -- he could have left Hughie there when they needed to go, he could have left him on the sidewalk at any point, in fact.

When Hughie tears up the 45k the look on his face says it all.

The characterization in this show is just :discourse:

Riatsala posted:

I could be totally wrong but something in the back of my head says he might not even be tracking Butcher to kill him, but could be looking for information about Compound V/Vought from one of the company's most persistent and effective opponents. Add to the fact that even Butcher fighting and escaping or killing Noir seems like too straightforward and unlikely a conclusion to a confrontation they've been building to since the beginning of episode 4. I think there's more going on here, and I think we're going get some interesting developments about Noir in the next episode.

Or I'm completely wrong and Kimiko/Starlight/The Boys/Butcher's sheer tactical genius will save the day and the plot point doesn't really go anywhere.

Yeah, Black Noir for all of his stuff seems a lot more switched on than the other supes, his priorities are different than the others. I get the same vibe.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

How Wonderful! posted:

Come on, don't be an rear end in a top hat. It's no fun to have everybody telling you you're wrong, I get that, but don't be a dick.
Touche. I'm just going to ignore the trolls and stick to talking about the show.

Baudolino posted:

I always assume Becca had very little choice in giving birth or not, once she went to Vought and told them she was in their clutches.
Her staying with the child makes perfect sense. She is his only chance of a somewhat normal childhood and a life without crippling emotional issues. Of course she wants to stay to protect him.

Now with that being said. Growing up with just his mother around has to end up causing him some harm, one way or another. He might have a kind heart but he is still going to struggle to function normally. Probably a ton of social anxiety just walking down a crowded street. Instead of cruel and creepy like his father he will be merely nice, anxious, weird and lonely.
Maybe they will give him a nicer ending, but realistically that`s a best case scenario from growing up like Homelander`s kid.
Couldn't have said it better myself. There's actually a really good episode of Black Mirror that deals with the topic of an overprotective mom and how harmful it can be to the child. The episode is called Archangel.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Why isn't there other sports in this universe other than a race that takes literally 1 second to finish? Who would even show up for that? Spend $100s of bucks on stadium food and tickets and parking when the loving super heroes run the races in a full second?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

PostNouveau posted:

The kid might wind up killing his dad by the end of the show, but I think a "good ending" for him is to become a tax accountant who never uses his powers.

Boys --> Incredibles multiverse?? Ryan == Mr. Incredible? Cleo == Elastigirl?!?!

e: Tenzarin, I like the idea of a race car type event, where there's a huge day of insane poo poo -- A speedster moonwalking vs a cheetah, or trying to win a rock-paper-scissor battle against one, just go full loving carnie on that poo poo: hammer nails into regenerators, $20 gets you a short ride with a flying supe, talk to the stingrays, feed The Mouth your garbage, just gently caress it up with oddball supes.

Then, when everybody's sunburned, drunk, and tired at the end of the day, then you have your 10 second match with replay after replay. The audience feels good because they finally get to go home more than seeing the race

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 14, 2020

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Why isn't there other sports in this universe other than a race that takes literally 1 second to finish? Who would even show up for that? Spend $100s of bucks on stadium food and tickets and parking when the loving super heroes run the races in a full second?
Probably for the same reason people paid to see Tyson in his prime or Ronda Rousey when she was finishing everyone in under a minute. It's worth the thrill, man. And just like the fights, I'd imagine they had other events to make it worth the price of admission.

It does beg the question- What other sports could benefit the most from supes?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Well if you go see Ronda Rousey fight you do get a few hours of potential awful long ufc fights that will just go to decision. They do give you a decent amount of fights.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I forgot to link the image

black noir scribbles like a child :allears:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'd pay to see super jai alai

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

alexandriao posted:

black noir scribbles like a child :allears:

Am i crazy or is it literally written on construction paper?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

How Wonderful! posted:

Stormfront is still probably obfuscating or fabricating stuff when she talked about her Halloween costume because before the 50s there were just not that many Disney princesses for people to dress up as, and Pippi Longstocking would not have been a laughable or weird costume. I guess there's a lot of wiggle room right now for when her "real childhood" took place, though, so maybe I'm being too literal.

Well, between Pippi Longstocking not being first published until 1945 and Halloween wasn't really a thing in Germany until the 90s, I assume we're talking about postwar, when she was presumably Paperclipped to the US along with Vought himself. Depends on how old she was when that happened: if she was a baby, the "other girls" might have been dressing up as late as 1959, which gives them five options if you're generous and count Alice and Wendy. OTOH, I found an interview with the guy who came up with the "Disney Princess" brand and he was inspired to do it by seeing a bunch of little girls wearing generic princess costumes and realizing there was money on the table, so maybe she was using Disney princess generically.

Why yes, I did spend way too long thinking about this.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Bust Rodd posted:

I think so, he seems to have kidlike tendencies

I know there's some scene in season 1 where he's gleefully drinking a soda with a straw at a party

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

moist turtleneck posted:

I think so, he seems to have kidlike tendencies

I know there's some scene in season 1 where he's gleefully drinking a soda with a straw at a party

He never takes his mask off, it would be a bit hard for him to drink normally.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Azhais posted:

I'd pay to see super jai alai

Would feat of strength contests even be viable with supes? We have seen that supes are limited by physics. It'd be interesting to do some napkin math to see how much weight they could conceivably lift up before the earth itself begins to sink from the weight.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

I’d like to think that if they weren’t enemies, Black Noir and MM would bond over a shared interest in building model houses, but alas :sigh:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
He's not just sipping the soda, he's like bouncing up and down like a toddler while drinking it

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Early Season One, all I could see was Chris Pine when I watched Antony Starr as Homelander. I wasn't familiar with any of his previous credits, and had no idea the range this guy had.
Season 2 has had me floored at his performances. I don't think I've seen an actor portray so many conflicting emotions and reactions merely by facial expression alone, and when he actually speaks it can go from amusing to downright terrifying in a nanosecond.

And the ep 5 preview looks like it's going to really advance the plot. Can't wait.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Prediction:

Black Noir is a Homelander Clone but it’s Logan rules so the clone is only like 7 years old but has all the strength and speed of Homie

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

I have a lot of sympathy for Ashley because I used to have the same haircut as her and I know how hard a cross it is to bear.

I feel like the writers want us to feel bad for her and the position she's in, but it's kind of hard to after she cheerfully returned to a company that fired her for not covering up a sexual assault effectively enough.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

That Italian Guy posted:

Nice catch on Pippi Longstocking!

I think the reason we have not been showed Liberty force lightning the poo poo out of the black guy she kills in the flashback is either:
- Stormfront/Liberty is a sadist on top of being a racist. She doesn't zap Kenji to death, she kills him by hand while commenting on how much she's enjoying his suffering probably hinting at her redemption arc.
- She's in incognito - her previous Nazi supe persona was a lightning wieilding one, so Liberty has not to show her powers. Her next incarnation, Stormfront, is free to use them as no one will make the connection. Not sure about this one though, we'll have to see if the world at large even knew about the Nazi supes to begin with (not the case in the comics and I would say even less so in the show since compound V was a secret till recently).

Wasn't it raining the night she killed that guy? Maybe she can't use her lightning around water.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
fun article on the genesis of the Stormfront article I forgot to x out before

Part of the writers' take on Stormfront for the show, compared to the comics, came from "classic screenwriting math," Kripke tells EW over Zoom. "Which is you can’t present a character that is exactly who they appear to be." Stormfront from the comics, created by Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson, had a much smaller role as part of a superhero team called Payback. "But we knew the character needed to be a main character," he continues. "You almost always play a game as a screenwriter, which is [asking] 'OK, who are they really? Well, then our first impression of them is going to be the opposite of that.' We need her to not seem like a racist piece of sh— so then it’s a surprise that she is."

Another part, as far as gender-swapping the role, was the idea of introducing a female figure to the Seven who has no fear of Homelander (Antony Starr). That would be "his worst nightmare," Kripke says. But then the writers room took further inspiration from alt-right trolls on social media and platforms like Reddit. For better or worse, they all fell down "a lot of white supremacist rabbit holes," which Kripke called "horrific."

"So many of them are couched in new media, specifically reaching out to young people and gamers," he says. "The videos are like these cute girls who are saying the most hateful sh— but they are young and their noses are pierced. ‘Be a free thinker!’ They put on a new set of clothes but it’s the same hateful sh— that people have been saying for a thousand years... We wanted to recreate that experience for the audience, that the monsters are not wearing 1960s crewcuts. They are attractive and they’re savvy and you have to be aware of that."

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I sure hope no one reads spoilers then come in here to post like they just guessed it themselves. I hate those people.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Shageletic posted:

But then the writers room took further inspiration from alt-right trolls on social media and platforms like Reddit. For better or worse, they all fell down "a lot of white supremacist rabbit holes," which Kripke called "horrific."
Welp. Looks like my analysis was way off the mark. So can we nip that in the bud and move on already?

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Wasn't it raining the night she killed that guy? Maybe she can't use her lightning around water.
I'm pretty sure she's impervious to any form of electricity. I honestly though Kimiko's brother was toast the minute he landed in the water.

Also, wouldn't the revelation that she speaks Japanese be a huge breakthrough for the boys? Do dictionaries not exist in this universe or something?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wee Bairns posted:

Early Season One, all I could see was Chris Pine when I watched Antony Starr as Homelander. I wasn't familiar with any of his previous credits, and had no idea the range this guy had.
Season 2 has had me floored at his performances. I don't think I've seen an actor portray so many conflicting emotions and reactions merely by facial expression alone, and when he actually speaks it can go from amusing to downright terrifying in a nanosecond.

It's interesting because that role/character of the abusive, controlling (almost always husband) partner is fairly well worn. I think that what makes Homelander so scary is that, if he was just an abusive husband, we'd know how the movie would end - either the cops intervene or the abused takes the matter into her own hands. Here that's not possible, and the abused wife in this case is every single person who HL knows personally. Those feelings of disgust and anger at watching a character gaslight, threaten, murder and terrorize people are tempered by the understanding that the villain will get his comeuppance. Here we assume that's the case (might not be!) but we have no idea how or when, or how many he'll kill before it happens.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also Butcher’s wife, who he literally abuses.

Also I feel like now Butcher is going to redirect all of his energy towards killing Homie, because ultimately Homie is who took Becca away from him and put her in a position where she had to choose her son over him. Butcher is gonna go full serial-super-killer from here on out.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Baudolino posted:

I always assume Becca had very little choice in giving birth or not, once she went to Vougth and told them she was in their clutches.
Her staying with the child makes perfect sense. She is his only chanche of a somewhat normal childhood and a life without crippling emotional issues. Ofcourse she wants to stay to protect him.

Now with that being said. Growing up with just his mother around has to end up causing him some harm, one way or another. He migth have a kind heart but he is still going to struggle to function normally. Probably a ton of social anxiety just walking down a crowded street. Instead of cruel and creepy like his father he will be merely nice, anxious, weird and lonely.
Maybe they will give him a nicer ending, but relastically that`s a best case scenario from growing up like Homelander`s kid.

This is sexist as hell. There are tons of people who exist in real life that were raised by single parents regardless of gender and turned out fine. The idea that every child needs two parents, one with traditionally masculine traits and another with traditionally feminine traits is comically outdated.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

zoux posted:

It's interesting because that role/character of the abusive, controlling (almost always husband) partner is fairly well worn. I think that what makes Homelander so scary is that, if he was just an abusive husband, we'd know how the movie would end - either the cops intervene or the abused takes the matter into her own hands. Here that's not possible, and the abused wife in this case is every single person who HL knows personally. Those feelings of disgust and anger at watching a character gaslight, threaten, murder and terrorize people are tempered by the understanding that the villain will get his comeuppance. Here we assume that's the case (might not be!) but we have no idea how or when, or how many he'll kill before it happens.

Butcher is also an extremely manipulative and abusive figure. Not just to his wife, but to everyone he knows. Look at how many times he lies to people to get what he wants. The way she is written, I was extremely surprised she basically tells him to gently caress off.

Bust Rodd posted:

Butcher is gonna go full serial-super-killer from here on out.
To be fair, he has always been full serial-super-killer from the get go. Can he push the envelope any further?

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 14, 2020

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is sexist as hell. There are tons of people who exist in real life that were raised by single parents regardless of gender and turned out fine. The idea that every child needs two parents, one with traditionally masculine traits and another with traditionally feminine traits is comically outdated.
Yeah but they're not usually raised in a walled compound, I don't think the sticking point there was the single parent. They did show that there are a few other people around but I'm guessing there aren't a ton of other kids around for him to interact with.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Bioshuffle posted:

Would feat of strength contests even be viable with supes? We have seen that supes are limited by physics. It'd be interesting to do some napkin math to see how much weight they could conceivably lift up before the earth itself begins to sink from the weight.

lol he's a flat earther too

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Bioshuffle posted:

Welp. Looks like my analysis was way off the mark. So can we nip that in the bud and move on already?

Ok but, no.

You saw a woman with a fascist coded name, who called a man a racial slur while killing him, and said that she enjoyed killing and wanted to watch him visibly die, and your take was "she can be redeemed, she's not fascist scum". So either you have a lot of self insight, ideological dissection and reading to do to not be a fascist. Or you are a fascist.

Actually the most charitable interpretation here that I can think of is that she's hot and you wanted to gently caress her, and hoped she could be redeemed because of that.

edit: The cherry on the top here is that you're capable of recognising that Butcher has abusive tendencies but not Stormfront.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 14, 2020

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm pretty sure they meant that the *only* other person the kid sees is his mother, not that SINGLE MOTHER BAD.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Bioshuffle posted:

lol no you're still hella terrible and uber creepy

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

alexandriao posted:

Ok but, no.

You saw a woman with a fascist coded name, who called a man a racial slur while killing him, and said that she enjoyed killing and wanted to watch him visibly die, and your take was "she can be redeemed, she's not fascist scum". So either you have a lot of self insight, ideological dissection and reading to do to not be a fascist. Or you are a fascist.

Actually the most charitable interpretation here that I can think of is that she's hot and you wanted to gently caress her, and hoped she could be redeemed because of that.

edit: The cherry on the top here is that you're capable of recognising that Butcher has abusive tendencies but not Stormfront.

don't forget the part where he called her his favorite superhero after racially slurring and killing the asian guy.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

the second most charitable interpretation is that he believes that "girls cant be fascists, thats for boys" :laffo:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

That Italian Guy posted:

Yeah in the show at least Compound-V is bad for you unless you have won the genetic lottery - Shining Light has dosed Kenji specifically cause Kimiko had survived the procedure. I guess Vought is actually good at selecting potential candidates.

That or they're good at covering it up when they try and get it wrong.

Also the way I read that is that some people get lame powers, and some people end up Homelander. Kimiko is pretty powerful so they drugged her brother figuring he'd also be badass, and he was pretty badass.

Give V to a random person and they may turn into one of the lesser X-men like Toad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

thrawn527 posted:

So, on a different topic, dude who could regenerate his body parts, he had an eye patch? Said something about an experiment they were doing? I thought he regenerated nearly instantly? At least, that's what happened with his arm. Could Vought be experimenting with something that suppresses powers?

Also, I missed why Mallory sent them to look into Liberty in the first place. Does she have some inkling that she's resurfaced?

That's a good catch. It may just be a minor continuity error or maybe eyeballs are harder than hands and take longer to regenerate? But maaaaaybe!

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

I think they meant because the kid is being raised in isolation from the rest of society, not necessarily that it's because he's being raised by a single mom.

Personality traits are highly heritable though so I wonder which direction they'll go with the kid, if the kid's development becomes a plotline. He could be a good egg because mom socialized him well, or he could latch on to his isolation & estrangement and his Homelander side could surface.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Riatsala posted:

All of a sudden I'm really interested in what's going with Black Noir. He's the most driven and focused of the Seven (in fact, he seems to be the only one who actually does field work at this point) but he's still totally an enigma. They've gone out of their way to suggest a deeper pathology going on with the guy this season, what with playing with the kid's stuffed rabbit, showing respect for Lucy, and crying at finding out he's created with compound V. I could be totally wrong but something in the back of my head says he might not even be tracking Butcher to kill him, but could be looking for information about Compound V/Vought from one of the company's most persistent and effective opponents. Add to the fact that even Butcher fighting and escaping or killing Noir seems like too straightforward and unlikely a conclusion to a confrontation they've been building to since the beginning of episode 4. I think there's more going on here, and I think we're going get some interesting developments about Noir in the next episode.

Or I'm completely wrong and Kimiko/Starlight/The Boys/Butcher's sheer tactical genius will save the day and the plot point doesn't really go anywhere.

I think they're just working in jokes at the Batman character. Black Noir is what you would actually end up with if you had a kid who was orphaned with his parents murdered in front of him who grew up to be a super vigilante. The dude is amazing but also a completely broken human being with no capability of communication and lacking in basic social skills. He only has like a 2nd grade formal education.

Since the plot isn't doing what the comics did with him, they seem to just be using him in the way as The Deep. He's a comedic relief parody of a Superfriend. Someone earlier in the thread even said something like "black noir does the same thing as the deep but better".

I like The Deep's character and his story this season, but anyways. I think its cool if they don't explain it too much and just keep him as this parody batman. But you never know.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Zaphod42 posted:

That or they're good at covering it up when they try and get it wrong.

Also the way I read that is that some people get lame powers, and some people end up Homelander. Kimiko is pretty powerful so they drugged her brother figuring he'd also be badass, and he was pretty badass.

Give V to a random person and they may turn into one of the lesser X-men like Toad.

That's what I figured, they have a ton of minor dudes like the archer guy, who I assume has amazing accuracy powers or something. Starlight also talks about super kid pageants her mom dragged her to, so I'm assuming they try and impress Vought enough to get a contract to somewhere.

There's always an ex-pro ball player selling cars or whatever that gets trotted out for ribbon cutting ceremonies in America, so I'd imagine it's similar for small town superheroes.