Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Galewolf posted:

Assuming that we are talking about the Dune adventure/strategy game: My English was still developing during that time and I missed certain prompts and ended up dying so many times (like flying into Harkonnen palace or leading the assaults from the frontlines) and also missed two spice deliveries for the Emperor and be like "Lol, like you can do ANYTHING about it hologram man!" and getting instantly vaporized walking one screen outside.

It was a good game and pretty much eased me into the books but ngl I spent hell lotta time for looking Solar Tanks in that game :cripes:

What's the availability on that game anyway? Does anyone know if it runs on modern specs?

I loved those old adventure games. No formula, no a-list cast, just a few ballsy programmers and a producer ready to eat the risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
There is a longplay video of DOS version so I assume you can still run it on DosBox. Not sure about the purchase options but probably a vaporware now perhaps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_B4WPnf-AY&t=866s

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Cool. I will check that out. Thanks!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A SAND WORM

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

You wouldn't poo poo on a dead Sardoukars helmet and leave it on his grieving widow's front door.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Galewolf posted:

You wouldn't poo poo on a dead Sardoukars helmet and leave it on his grieving widow's front door.

I was already doing it in Matt Berry's voice lol

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Galewolf posted:

There is a longplay video of DOS version so I assume you can still run it on DosBox.

You can indeed - I had it playable on my phone a few years back via a DOS emulator.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

phasmid posted:

The part where he says it's natural and for some people it's just a phase?

Hardly a giant bigot imo.
Also Homosexuality is just sublimated aggression, all soldiers are gay, really.

Def problematic in tyool 2020 but definitely not the most homophobic thing printed in 1981

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Murray Mantoinette posted:

It's been mentioned in the thread before but Old Frank had some rather unpalatable ideas about homosexuals. The Baron being gay definitely seemed like it was supposed to enhance the negative or indulgent aspects of his character.

So with that in mind if they kept him just as evil but made him straight or distanced his depravity from his sexuality that might not be such a bad thing.

Reading Dune I always got the vibe that the Baron's pedophilia and general rapiness was meant to be much more repulsive than the matter of which gender he preferred to assault

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

exmachina posted:

Also Homosexuality is just sublimated aggression, all soldiers are gay, really.

Def problematic in tyool 2020 but definitely not the most homophobic thing printed in 1981

I think it's more like "all soldiers are rapine". The thing he brought up several times regarding homosexuality in soldiers was their usefulness as death commandos.

We've all read that he had some issue with his gay son (at least if that's the real story and not @duneauthor trying to keep the estate to himself) but to me it seemed like his views matured somewhat in his later writings. Besides that, not a lot of people back then would even mention homosexuality in non-coded ways.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Galewolf posted:

Assuming that we are talking about the Dune adventure/strategy game: My English was still developing during that time and I missed certain prompts and ended up dying so many times (like flying into Harkonnen palace or leading the assaults from the frontlines) and also missed two spice deliveries for the Emperor and be like "Lol, like you can do ANYTHING about it hologram man!" and getting instantly vaporized walking one screen outside.

It was a good game and pretty much eased me into the books but ngl I spent hell lotta time for looking Solar Tanks in that game :cripes:

Ah, no, Frank did Dune 2. But if you don't mind a bit of French in your Dune, then Exxos' SPICE OPERA from Dune 1 certainly fits.. Somewhere, I'm sure.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

phasmid posted:

What's the availability on that game anyway? Does anyone know if it runs on modern specs?

I loved those old adventure games. No formula, no a-list cast, just a few ballsy programmers and a producer ready to eat the risk.

Here's the link to a site where you can either download it or play it in your browser since it's such a small game.

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/dune-23h

It's a bit finicky with sound and saves for the browser version. I think this is true abandonware on this 28 year old game, as Virgin Interactive was bought and sold by Interplay and Titus, both of which also went out of business/bankrupt, so I think this definitely meets the criteria for Abandonware and not :filez:

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

phasmid posted:

The part where he says it's natural and for some people it's just a phase?

Hardly a giant bigot imo.
The homosexual, latent or otherwise, who maintains that condition for reasons which could be called purely psychological, tends to indulge in pain-causing behavior–seeking it for himself and inflicting it upon others.

No Pants fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 14, 2020

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1305591300041904136

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

thats a pretty good cover

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

THE BAR posted:

Game's soundtrack works really well to have banging in your head while reading. It being based on the movie's helps, but Frank Klepacki did some outstanding AdLib work.

I played dune 2 on the Amiga and it had big swelling synth chords for a soundtrack, I loved it.never been able to find a recording of it.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoNPy5ttpd4

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Lol, now a major motion picture.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

its all nice on rice posted:

Lol someone tag D. Lynch on twitter.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

its all nice on rice posted:

i was hoping someone would notice

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Todd_McFarlane/status/1305524240800776193

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjB8XXw9y70

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

AAAAAAHing intensifies

Thank you my friend

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think I'll wait for the Dune Funkopops

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

I think I'll wait for the Dune Funkopops

https://twitter.com/OriginalFunko/status/1305517954600235009?s=20

i know these things are cursed but i kinda want to get the baron one.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Really like that cover. It stylistically reminds me of the all black paperback with a little "window" that shows two figures (paul and jessica I think) walking across Arrakis.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

https://twitter.com/heymedley/status/1305362005147168768?s=19

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Amazing

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

uber_stoat posted:

Rules of Kanly have been obeyed!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Dong Quixote posted:

Here's the link to a site where you can either download it or play it in your browser since it's such a small game.

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/dune-23h

It's a bit finicky with sound and saves for the browser version. I think this is true abandonware on this 28 year old game, as Virgin Interactive was bought and sold by Interplay and Titus, both of which also went out of business/bankrupt, so I think this definitely meets the criteria for Abandonware and not :filez:

This is great. Thank you!

No Pants posted:

The homosexual, latent or otherwise, who maintains that condition for reasons which could be called purely psychological, tends to indulge in pain-causing behavior–seeking it for himself and inflicting it upon others.

I completely forgot about that quote. But I don't remember the context or if it was said by a character.

uber_stoat posted:

Don't do it. You;ll just regret it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Seems kind of sadly ironic that a masterpiece of fiction that is tied to ecology also spawns a mountain of tie in plastic garbage.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

priznat posted:

Seems kind of sadly ironic that a masterpiece of fiction that is tied to ecology also spawns a mountain of tie in plastic garbage.

what was... will be... (dune lunchbox signed by Lynch)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Lunchboxes are useful tho!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
If you're going to buy funko pops you might as well use Lynch-Harkonnen decorum so you can throw your foodstuffs/plastics into inky gutters running through the rooms.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
picturing Dave Bautista biting the head off a funko pop now.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

You know I had to do it to em

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Think they gonna do one for the worm?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Enough of this nonsense. I'm going to play that cool Dune game for a while.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

phasmid posted:

Enough of this nonsense. I'm going to play that cool Dune game for a while.

Don't forget to give the spice prospectors an ornithopter

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Also see if you can find the softlock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Murray Mantoinette posted:

It's been mentioned in the thread before but Old Frank had some rather unpalatable ideas about homosexuals.

Did he?

Or did he just correctly predict that ityool2020 the broad swath of society would still find pedophiles revolting

RedSnapper posted:

I just finished a reread of God Emperor. I remembered they mentioned lesbian Fishspeakers.

What I didn't remember was Duncan immediately going "no, I'm not" when Leto mentions THE GAYS, or throwing a hissy fit because he saw two girls kiss.

Herbert presented Duncan as a sort of old school chauvanist, that doesn't mean he agreed with Duncan. Herbert was writing these books during the sexual revolution and I've yet to see anything from him on the subject that suggests he was anything less than a pretty modest and open-minded dude.