Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

LEGO LEDs are addicting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

That Diner looks so drat inviting.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I just finished the virtual version...

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

w00tazn posted:

LEGO LEDs are addicting

Very cool! That diner might be the most LEDable set I’ve ever seen... looks like an Edward Hopper Painting. The car headlights are a nice touch too

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dick Trauma posted:

I just finished the virtual version...

Was the awning as amazing virtuallly?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

On the Razorcrest, what is the detachable pod thing on the top supposed to be?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Escape pod

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

smackfu posted:

Thought it was a little speeder, packaging says it is an escape pod but I don’t remember one from the show. Think they just needed another play element.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
So, I want to build a big cactus. Can someone give me a part number for a nice 90 degree curved piece with a nice flat exterior surface??? All my lego are from the early/mid 90's so I don't have any of the sleek modern stuff and I notice there are nice looking ways to make 90 degree turns now. Also, I am terrible at describing the things I need :).

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Sounds like lego is retiring road base plates and replacing them with a brick built tile on plate system that on the surface sounds cool until you realize they are charging $20 for what appears to be 1/8 the area covered (16x16 vs. 2 32x32). I guess what I'm saying is if you like road base plates get them now. No idea how they intend to do curves that don't look bad.

This article has more details and leaks.

https://www.stonewars.de/news/lego-city-2021-1hy-neuheiten/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They're just doing what the MOC crowd has been doing for 10 years, I don't think anyone has really used the classic plates for a long time.

I think lego did some focus study stuff on the baseplates and determined that kids didn't like them either. If you google around there's also some claims that the baseplates weren't made in house so it was a consolidation effort by the company.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
When I was a kid I always fantasized about getting my hands on more baseplates. :( I think I only ever had three baseplates when I was young, and those were always the first pieces pressed into service when I wanted to build a sweet space base or beach scene or hideout.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

smackfu posted:

My first assumption was a small speeder. I'm curious if it was just an extra play element, or if it was something in the design documents for season 2.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land
Wasn't there a scene where the escape pods used? I think possibly in the prison episode.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I liked the baseplate that had the ramp on the left and pit in the middle. Downside, they were very thin and flimsy, and supporting a lot of weight on them wasn’t advised.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Baseplates are critical but we havent used the road plates ever.

Baseplates with LBG and DBG tiles.

I have never participated in our city layouts when my LUG has exhibits/cons but i know the city layout guys has a standard they follow.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yay, my downtown diner arrived.
Boo, they just stuck packing labels straight on the box. (Ah well, not like I was probably going to bother reselling it with box anyways.)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Where did you order from?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Where did you order from?

Walmart.ca, was the only place that had it in stock at MSRP. I think most other times I've ordered from them, it came in a packing box? Only other time I've had this happen is when my dad ordered the UCS Slave 1 around christmas for me.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Literally A Person posted:

So, I want to build a big cactus. Can someone give me a part number for a nice 90 degree curved piece with a nice flat exterior surface??? All my lego are from the early/mid 90's so I don't have any of the sleek modern stuff and I notice there are nice looking ways to make 90 degree turns now. Also, I am terrible at describing the things I need :).

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=25214&idColor=4#T=S&C=4&O=%7B%22color%22:4,%22iconly%22:0%7D

Not exactly what you asked for as it is round. I don't know if there is a flat 90 degree piece.

Maybe this:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalo...2iconly%22:0%7D

or this:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=6060&idColor=1#T=S&C=1&O=%7B%22color%22:1,%22iconly%22:0%7D

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 14, 2020

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

You've put me on the right track.Thanks, goon!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

N17R4M posted:

Wasn't there a scene where the escape pods used? I think possibly in the prison episode.

Yes, I think you are right, I had this thought as well, though I don't know that it looked the way it does on the model, but I think the ship does in fact have an escape pod and it was mentioned in the show.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
I remember when we'd get the next month's calendar in the current month. I checked TheBrickFan and it looks like we get the month's calendar the month of. It's unfortunate because I was able to use that to help plan purchases. I want some good freebies.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Earth posted:

I remember when we'd get the next month's calendar in the current month. I checked TheBrickFan and it looks like we get the month's calendar the month of. It's unfortunate because I was able to use that to help plan purchases. I want some good freebies.
Same. I'm thinking about grabbing Assembly Square since backorder is saying ship in 60 days, but I'm also not in a huge rush so I kind of want to try to line it up with a promo or something. (But I'm also a little worried it will go out of stock, and possibly out of print by the end of the year?)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I thought the Diner was retiring and Assembly Square was staying on?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I thought the Diner was retiring and Assembly Square was staying on?
I'm not up-to-date on the rumors? of what's staying or going, I just know Square is from 2017 and Diner is from 2018, so I just assumed the Square was gonna go sooner.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Oxyclean posted:

I'm not up-to-date on the rumors? of what's staying or going, I just know Square is from 2017 and Diner is from 2018, so I just assumed the Square was gonna go sooner.

That’s what I would think too, but the googles are saying mid 2021 for Assembly Square.

It’s just such a freaking good set, a microcosm of modulars. Diner is superb too, that’s high up on my modular list. I’d probably buy that first if you have interest in it, 2 years for a regular modular is pretty par for the course.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Earth posted:

Calendar is released final week of the month now. It used to be roughly 1 month in advance.

This is more LEGO doing corporate suck.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

Calendar is released final week of the month now. It used to be roughly 1 month in advance.

This is more LEGO doing corporate suck.

In my day calendars were released quarterly, and they'd bundle the whole quarter with your catalog subscription.

*Shakes cane at passing cloud*

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Excellent news! :toot:

https://twitter.com/lego_group/status/1305838826095611905

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

The_Doctor posted:

Excellent news! :toot:

Boo. Unless they're clear paper bags that make a lot of crinkling noises when I open them. :colbert:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

ChesterJT posted:

Boo. Unless they're clear paper bags that make a lot of crinkling noises when I open them. :colbert:

remember those plant-made chip bags that sounded like a jet engine when you crinkled them?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is just big magic trying to kill off the build in a bag trick.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I can't imagine that teeny thin lego bags produce THAT much waste but ok every little but I suppose

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Bloop posted:

I can't imagine that teeny thin lego bags produce THAT much waste but ok every little but I suppose

It’s still a unnecessary amount of plastic. Your one set isn’t much, but the hundreds of thousands of sets a year add up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On the other hand, considering the rate that forests are being cut down or burned maybe paper isn't such a great idea either.

How about a reusable bag system, they set up a pick a brick style wall at a lego store and you walk in, order your set, then attach your cloth bag to the spigot and all the parts get dumped in.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

This seems like a job... for HEMP

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

This seems like a job... for HEMP

Absolutely. Figuring out some way to use hemp or bamboo or some other easy fast growing weed would be ideal

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

On the other hand, considering the rate that forests are being cut down or burned maybe paper isn't such a great idea either.

How about a reusable bag system, they set up a pick a brick style wall at a lego store and you walk in, order your set, then attach your cloth bag to the spigot and all the parts get dumped in.
I imagine the logistics of managing that would be pretty difficult since they would still need to be like, pre-sorted? I don't mean numbered bags, but like, just a way to get the sets to a store and into the machine that spits them out? Not to mention limited reach of lego stores.

The_Doctor posted:

It’s still a unnecessary amount of plastic. Your one set isn’t much, but the hundreds of thousands of sets a year add up.
It adds up for sure. Even just in one big set I feel like I've got so many of the dang bags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

They’ll be back to plastic in no time. Not due to environmental concerns, it because consumers won’t like not being able to see the parts before opening the bags.