Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Yeah I didn't watch yesterday but I have no trouble believing he used up all his good topdecks. It sure made that Jund sac deck look like poo poo though. Collected company didn't break the game a single time, which does not line up with my recollection of playing against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/urlichmtg/status/1305534161650880516?s=21

More pros just absolutely miserable.

I also saw bits and pieces of interviews with other pros and it sort of seemed like many of the pros were legit complaining in their interviews about how streaming all the time sucks

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I hope that if there's one broad, societal-level takeaway from the Rona Years, it's that social media and digital socializing generally sucks and should be wholesale abandoned

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Honestly streaming sounds like a really lovely job. Just sitting, playing games, talking to a text feed, for hours, everyday, and serious imperilment to your income if you take any time off.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

May triggers are the worst for online just make it happen. I like it, thought it's probably too good to print.

Good point. It should realistically cost 2W or be a 1/1, but if it were pushed to 2/2 it would certainly make help make White Weenie viable in Standard.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

TheKingofSprings posted:

In that case why not just remove white as a colour entirely?

Solves those problems very neatly

Saving this quote out of context for posterity

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Chamale posted:

That idea sounds a bit like taxes in reverse. And that just gave me an idea.

Tax Collector 1W
Creature - Human Bureaucrat

Noncreature spells cost (1) more to cast.
Whenever a player casts a noncreature spell, you may create a Treasure token.
Investment Banker 1W
Creature - Human Advisor

Whenever you sacrifice an artifact for mana, add (1).
1/1

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I feel like an investment banker would be orzhov colours

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

also vampire creature subtype, or maybe ghoul

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Leperflesh posted:

also vampire creature subtype, or maybe ghoul

Natch

https://scryfall.com/card/m21/122/silversmote-ghoul

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Chamale posted:

That idea sounds a bit like taxes in reverse. And that just gave me an idea.

Tax Collector 1W
Creature - Human Bureaucrat

Noncreature spells cost (1) more to cast.
Whenever a player casts a noncreature spell, you may create a Treasure token.

Yeah this is solid. White cares about balance, so when an opponent does something to disrupt that White gets more resources so they can restore things.

Bust Rodd posted:

https://twitter.com/urlichmtg/status/1305534161650880516?s=21

More pros just absolutely miserable.

I also saw bits and pieces of interviews with other pros and it sort of seemed like many of the pros were legit complaining in their interviews about how streaming all the time sucks

Were they not allowed to talk about certain topics on stream? That seems...messed up.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

The whole event was recorded and then streamed out later. So no one was allowed to talk about how it played out so it wouldn't be spoiled.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

RPDR contestants do the same thing and I never see them complain about it 🤔

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
armageddon and wrath should be in every standard, always

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Eh, as many issues as there are in the competitive scene, complaining about having a NDA that lasts a whole day when technical issues come up is pretty silly.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It turns out "The Gathering" aspect of MTG is a pretty big factor when your game is kind of subpar.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/armlx/status/1305585855923466248?s=21

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah this is solid. White cares about balance, so when an opponent does something to disrupt that White gets more resources so they can restore things.

I'm doing a BA in economics and I always liked the tax effects in white, but it bugs me that they don't actually collect the taxes. This neatly fixes that. It could totally work as a way to make white's subtheme stronger, and the tax cards could be costed higher so they wouldn't come down quite as early. And this line of thinking somehow led to this card:

Vladimir Lenin RRR
Legendary Creature - Human Rebel

Whenever a player taps a creature or a nonbasic land for mana, Vladimir Lenin deals one damage to that player.
3/2

Ramp has triumphed over all the world, but this is only a prelude to the triumph of aggro over ramp.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

ilmucche posted:

I feel like an investment banker would be orzhov colours

no shadowmage infiltrator is blue black

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

DangerDongs posted:

It turns out "The Gathering" aspect of MTG is a pretty big factor when your game is kind of subpar.

who could have predicted that people would find more fulfillment in social interaction than they would trying to min/max a skinner box

MisterZimbu posted:

Eh, as many issues as there are in the competitive scene, complaining about having a NDA that lasts a whole day when technical issues come up is pretty silly.

i think it's totally legitimate to be upset about your moment in the spotlight turned into something you are forbidden from speaking publicly about, especially when the reason for that is a billion dollar company could not successfully execute a twitch stream.

probably fucks with them financially too because i'm sure they didn't see an extra dime from the surprise nda but they lost out on a shitload of exposure while professional mtg is become more about building your brand than it is about where you actually place

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 14, 2020

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The most fun I ever had playing Magic was passing out 45 index cards to a bunch of my friends, having everybody design cards and then drafting them all. Most of the designs were awful, half of them were jokes (I distinctly remember “Llanowar Dragon”, a 5/5 flier that tapped for G) and the games were mostly dominated by cards that were clearly much better than their designers had realized, but it was still a blast. Highly recommend.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

nrook posted:

The most fun I ever had playing Magic was passing out 45 index cards to a bunch of my friends, having everybody design cards and then drafting them all. Most of the designs were awful, half of them were jokes (I distinctly remember “Llanowar Dragon”, a 5/5 flier that tapped for G) and the games were mostly dominated by cards that were clearly much better than their designers had realized, but it was still a blast. Highly recommend.

I feel like this was the same idea behind Llanowar Tribe, that taps for GGG.

Or Llanowar Visionary, which was a Llanowar Elves stapled onto an Elvish Visionary.

It's like they were just sorting through old cards trying to find new ideas for their respective sets, then happened to find some cards long stuck together with mountain dew and had an epiphany

Framboise fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 14, 2020

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

nrook posted:

We call this a BOO (Build Our Own) Draft and I agree, it's some of the most fun magic I've had. If you get the full 8 people to create 45 cards, then you have one person randomly chosen to review another creator's cards for design tweaks, etc.

You print them all, penny sleeve them and draft them. It's a ton of fun!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

nrook posted:

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
i would love to see these 8 random folks designing 45 cards each that play well in a draft format together

can i see cards or decks

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This is a good read

https://twitter.com/originaloestrus/status/1305649502116884480?s=21

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Jihad and Crusade were overreaches with only the barest, most surface level thought put into them and both should be reversed.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Bust Rodd posted:

Look I am just gonna say this posting earnestly and in good faith:

If you look at any of the cards that were banned today and think "That's seems pretty suspect, why would they ban that? It'll lead to a slippery slope" I promise you it's because a person of color somewhere has complained about the obviously racist implications of that card. Every one of these cards has been complained about for years, I assure you.

Sometimes the most important and useful and impactful action a white person can take is saying "If you're telling me this is offensive and prejudice, I will believe you." instead of waxing philosophically about logical fallacies that hamper progress.

Oh, and to the dude whose cEDH member complained about Invoke Prejudice... you should absolutely stop playing Magic with that guy, he's probably a racist piece of poo poo.

Like at the risk of sounding like an afterschool special, if you really just don't UNDERSTAND why these cards might be offensive, just look in the mirror, that's probably why.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
drat u owned me, I sure have egg on my face now, how will I ever recover from being so owned... online?!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Invoke Prejudice and Pradesh Gypsies absolutely deserve to be banned. Imprison and Cleanse are reasonable to ban. Crusade, Jihad, and Stone-Throwing Devils seem like odd choices, and I wonder if they actually had a focus group they consulted to determine if these cards were harmful or if they just had some staffer flip through old cards looking for problems.

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Chamale posted:

Invoke Prejudice and Pradesh Gypsies absolutely deserve to be banned. Imprison and Cleanse are reasonable to ban. Crusade, Jihad, and Stone-Throwing Devils seem like odd choices, and I wonder if they actually had a focus group they consulted to determine if these cards were harmful or if they just had some staffer flip through old cards looking for problems.

Don't give WOTC too much credit, it was an intern at best that had to scour the card database.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Chamale posted:

wha? cultural biz. it isn't a game problem or anything, the optics are poo poo. just reprint them as "angry guys" "angry guys 2" "total little jerks" or what have you. nothing about that diminishes the dumb game or anything. they aren't odd choices, there's some cultural stuff that doesn't help anyone there. a lot of it is a little too on the nose, no one noticed at the time. Old stuff! (sorry if I didn't understand that right.)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i remember at the time a romani guy on reddit saying 'i think banning a card for having the word 'gypsy' in its name is dumb and doesn't do me any good' but :shrug:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I can't judge as a whole - Wizards seems to not want to ban specific printings and the pre-fifth edition Crusade art is basically exactly what the folks who "ironically" scream "deus vult" are picturing themselves as, and banning Crusade but not Jihad would get the entire right wing media apparatus on them next time 45 does something they need to distract from - but his argument about how it shouldn't be removed because "many Muslims consider Jihad to be a peaceful quest for self-improvement" is rather undercut by the fact that the art on the one and only printing being a military action. The combination reinforces the idea that it's militaristic.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

rich does have a point though. when western corporations do things like this, their main goal is almost always to not be perceived as racist instead of actually doing something that helps oppressed groups. that's because that protects their bottom line and avoids bad press. so ironically, their attempts at representation are actually just placating their mostly white audience.

they still have mostly white dudes in top positions, have no black artists working for them, and put women in positions that are visible but not actually important. they do pay a lot of lip service though, which is what corporate progressivism is all about

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

https://twitter.com/Marc_MTG/status/1305825179583557633

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

lmao that's awesome, i like those goofy secret lairs. reminds me of the time i used to white border my molten rains when everyone in my meta was playing tron.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Not quite as in your face as Jihad, but Liliana was originally portrayed as "middle eastern".

If you look at the art for Liliana of the Veil you can tell from her skin tone and nose that was their intent, but more recent cards have her looking like just another white woman.

It's weird that they actually had some middle eastern representation outside the Not Baghdad set - and Fa'adiyah Seer, a colour shifted card - and then decided "nah never mind".

My parents are orthodox Christians from Iraq and while I don't share the connection that Shay does to religion, and the city I grew up in was multicultural enough that I wasn't teased or bullied for it, but it was still nice to see the slightest bit of representation to my background before suddenly they retconned it away or forgot to keep styling her that way.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lone Goat posted:

Not quite as in your face as Jihad, but Liliana was originally portrayed as "middle eastern".

If you look at the art for Liliana of the Veil you can tell from her skin tone and nose that was their intent, but more recent cards have her looking like just another white woman.

It's weird that they actually had some middle eastern representation outside the Not Baghdad set - and Fa'adiyah Seer, a colour shifted card - and then decided "nah never mind".

My parents are orthodox Christians from Iraq and while I don't share the connection that Shay does to religion, and the city I grew up in was multicultural enough that I wasn't teased or bullied for it, but it was still nice to see the slightest bit of representation to my background before suddenly they retconned it away or forgot to keep styling her that way.
Ah, the Nico Robin approach. just change her skin color and hope nobody notices she's not supposed to be white.

question, has there ever been a goblin planeswalker? if not, there should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Captain Invictus posted:

Ah, the Nico Robin approach. just change her skin color and hope nobody notices she's not supposed to be white.

question, has there ever been a goblin planeswalker? if not, there should be.

Daretti.