Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Papercut posted:

Just loop this for 60 minutes to get an idea of how Jimmy played yesterday

https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/1305413812280078336

That Jussel Gilson bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Papercut posted:

Lol

Barnwell inexplicably blocked me on twitter so SA is the only place I actually see his tweets

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Papercut posted:

Jimmy's hands shrunk like 5 sizes in the offseason because this whole poo poo happened from the ball slipping out of his hand, which happened twice yesterday.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The 9ers have this weird habbit of manifesting an obvious dynasty out of nothing, teasing you for a year or two, and then collapsing into nothing right when you accept they are going to be a playoff fixture.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Eifert Posting posted:

The 9ers have this weird habbit of manifesting an obvious dynasty out of nothing, teasing you for a year or two, and then collapsing into nothing right when you accept they are going to be a playoff fixture.

Not seeing the downside here

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
It's part of that age old question: Is it more cruel for there to be hope or no hope? I know my answer.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

kensei posted:

Not seeing the downside here

We have to suffer the years they're actually good.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm scared too but it's good to remember that this was really just the first preseason game and not draw too many conclusions from it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I'm scared too but it's good to remember that this was really just the first preseason game and not draw too many conclusions from it.

0-1 being the primary conclusion.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the conclusion I'm seeing is "jimmy G is bad actually" and that's the bit that has me worried

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Leperflesh posted:

the conclusion I'm seeing is "jimmy G is bad actually" and that's the bit that has me worried

Well, he isn’t good.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Jimmy G is good for what he is but he hosed up and greased up his hands yesterday because he had some fuckin ~dropsies~

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Leperflesh posted:

While not outright bad. Certainly not a "franchise" qb

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

do you think the niners would be better with andy dalton

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

Leperflesh posted:

I mean this was also true last year. 9ers have like the lowest depth of target and highest YAC in the league. Once they get their starting WRs healthy, Jimmy will start being better than Dak again.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I wonder how deep the loss of Sanders cuts though. He was legit their best receiver for stretches of time. Guess we'll find out!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
49ers are going to end up desperation trading two firsts for Odell Beckham at the trade deadline

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

shirts and skins posted:

I wonder how deep the loss of Sanders cuts though. He was legit their best receiver for stretches of time. Guess we'll find out!

I think it was pretty obvious they saw a lot of overlap between Sanders and Deebo but Deebo getting hurt already has thrown a wrench into their offense.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
We haven’t collapsed into nothing quite yet, but yes, it hasn’t escaped me that this could end up playing out very similarly to last time (hopefully minus all the owner/coach drama):

1. We have an all-around extremely good team with a great defense (especially in the front seven), a very nice running game, an excellent receiving tight end, some decent receivers, and a somewhat limited game manager at QB.

2. The offense has a tendency to stall out when almost anything goes wrong, putting a lot of pressure on the defense to get quick stops and get off the field or else get worn out.

3. We have a division rival with a great scrambling quarterback and excellent receivers; we can put a lot of pressure on the QB, but he still escapes a lot, and when he does there’s a ton of big-play potential. (Except this time there’s two of them.)

4. So there are teams we just take apart because they can’t stop the rushing attack and can’t do poo poo against the front seven, but there are also teams that we just don’t match well against at all, and unfortunately we play two games a year against some of the best examples of the latter.

5. Eventually the bill’s going to come due for all the talent, at which point we just fall apart.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Leperflesh posted:

do you think the niners would be better with andy dalton

Honestly I think they would be the same team with dalton

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Conclusions The Athletic arrived at: Jimmy G has a bad week 1 game every year, and tends to get better after a game or two. Shanahan pared down the playbook a ton with the starting Center, the backup Center (they temp brought up Grasu from the practice squad for this game), and the top two WRs out for the game; the two players who could have potentially stepped up to help (Reed, McKinnon) were being eased into the game after year long+ absences. The blueprint to beat the 49ers' defense is to run a TON of plays on offense and wear them out; Chiefs did it, Cards just did it.

We'll see how the year (and Jimmy) goes after a game or two to get people back and back into shape. I don't see any reason to panic.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/status/1305638496015495168

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I don't really think any of the 49ers fans here are up their own rear end but none of those excuses really excuse jimmy sucking. This is just my eye test and he was probably "fine", just he had his weird butterfingers tornado and one really obvious redzone fuckup

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Jimmy is just another mid tier QB that had a better than normal year last year and is dropping back to what will be his new middling standard level of play. The league has a ton of these guys.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Jimmy didn’t really have some sort of notably good year last year. He was pretty mediocre, despite the amount of respect everyone had to pay to the running game. He’s usually better than he was last night, and I’m sure he’ll shake some rust off, but he’s not going to suddenly turn some corner and become an above-average QB.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Jimmy G makes bad reads. He has bad instincts positioning himself in the pocket. His accuracy is inconsistent. He’s a weirdly poor runner. But his arm’s pretty strong, and he seems to run the huddle well, and he’s very classically handsome, so it’s not all terrible.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

rjmccall posted:

Jimmy G makes bad reads. He has bad instincts positioning himself in the pocket. His accuracy is inconsistent. He’s a weirdly poor runner. But his arm’s pretty strong, and he seems to run the huddle well, and he’s very classically handsome, so it’s not all terrible.

lmao

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

rjmccall posted:

It's pretty much this. He's not terrible, he's just inconsistent in a sort of maddening way. He is decently athletic but is absolutely terrible in terms of decision-making, he throws the ball just okay, he seems physically capable of using his legs well but then seems to just have bad instincts in the pocket. He looks great when Shanahan's scheme is putting a defense on its heels, but you basically never want to ask him to make something out of nothing.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Man, a lot of that sounds like it could be describing Jared Goff.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Fantastic D and not terrible QB can win you a super bowl. First part wasn’t there for SF lasterday

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

I bet Josh Rosen is better than Jimmy

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Jimmy Garoppolo is never scared in the pocket and always trusts his arm and NEVER THROWS IT AWAY.

Sometimes these combine to go poorly but the Niners don't have the #1 seed without these traits last year :shrug:

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Spoeank posted:

Jimmy Garoppolo is never scared in the pocket and always trusts his arm and NEVER THROWS IT AWAY.

This is exactly why his tornado move yesterday was so weird. He legitimately panicked, which isn't something he does very often.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

its all nice on rice posted:

Wait, it is? Anyone know a good tattoo removal service??

Sorry for the extra financial burden.

Mustached Demon posted:

Running is no joke, pal.

Repent your sins with 10 sets of 10 squats.

drat it!

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

MakaVillian posted:

This is exactly why his tornado move yesterday was so weird. He legitimately panicked, which isn't something he does very often.

had the potential to wind up looking extremely cool though, so I am all for more of that

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I might finally buy a gameday poster this year, all of them are amazing. Even if you're not emotionally invested in either team, they're cool as hell.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I think part of the problem is that Shanahan is too busy longingly staring at pictures of Kirk Cousins to beat the bad habits out of him. I thought he ended up in a good spot to finish his development but I'm not sure anymore

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bob Socko posted:

I might finally buy a gameday poster this year, all of them are amazing. Even if you're not emotionally invested in either team, they're cool as hell.

Sea
Ttle

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I have to be honest, that poster is like someone drawing a rivals.com pun. It looks like a peacock at first glance.