Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

1stGear posted:

Noclip did a three-part series on FF14's fall and rise that stands out from similar series due to having access to developers and executives. Its likely that had the game not been a mainline FF title, Square would have let it burn. But they considered the entire franchise's reputation to be on the line and so forked over a probably eye-watering amount of money to let Yoshi P fix it.

Also, you may not know this, but the free trial for FF14 now goes through the critically acclaimed Heavensward expansion, if you're a new player this is the perfect time to tr

A couple months back I subbed to FF14 and powered through the "bad" parts and got to where it gets "good" in Heavensward and it didn't

The group content was fun but the story never stopped being a slog and I was deep into where the goon guild said it got really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Len posted:

A couple months back I subbed to FF14 and powered through the "bad" parts and got to where it gets "good" in Heavensward and it didn't

The group content was fun but the story never stopped being a slog and I was deep into where the goon guild said it got really good

Cool

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Look I fell for the goon "it gets good once you slog through 2.x" and I'm trying to save others the same fate.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Len posted:

Look I fell for the goon "it gets good once you slog through 2.x" and I'm trying to save others the same fate.

Cool

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

:yeah:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Len posted:

I describe FFXIV as getting good at the exact moment when Shiva casts Diamond Dust, but I will say that, like... honestly every game, even when it's good it only works for you if you like what it's putting down.

It's still a relatively slow burn. It's still an MMO that wants you to press a lot of buttons rather than just pressing a few really well. It's still a game you have to learn the mechanical vocabulary of. It's still a game that's all over the place stylistically--intentionally, not 'we didn't know what we wanted to do'. It's still a game with heavy political themes and plays that you as a player don't necessarily get to be involved with because they happen above you. It's still a game that takes very specific stances on a lot of its major players, that you may not agree with (people are gonna think I mean Shadowbringers, but I actually think you get the most examples in Stormblood and the most blatant examples in Heavensward). It's still a game that both knows and enforces the fact you can't solve everything with violence, while basically only giving you violence as a means of interaction.

If you aren't okay with those things, then it won't really work for you, and that's okay.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ookiimarukochan posted:

There's a bunch of circumstantial evidence (like the way that lots of things had the wrong name in Japanese, anything with a katakana name in the main series like "Chocobo" had a kanji name that's the term used in Chinese translations) that Square offshored most of it to China as a test. If so, the test failed, hard.

Reminded of how Nintendo apparently basically distributed the development of Metroid Prime 4 across a bunch of studios, and when they came to check on it saw it really wasn't working out and decided to restart development from scratch under Retro Studios, since they'd just finished with Tropical Freeze. Which honestly they probably should have just done in the first place anyway.

I'm reminded how I heard FFXI was made not really understanding at all how MMOs worked and having to basically learn every lesson the hard way.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I spent the first 3 hours of FFXIV delivering packages around town and decided this was just about the dullest gaming experience I’ve had since playing the Anthem beta.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

exquisite tea posted:

I spent the first 3 hours of FFXIV delivering packages around town and decided this was just about the dullest gaming experience I’ve had since playing the Anthem beta.

Please tell us more about your experience here in the favorite little things in games thread for discussing things you enjoy about a game

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
A Final Fantasy related thing, but earlier on: Everyone likes to make fun of the dumber weapons, but a lot of people forget that the games already did. Specifically, Final Fantasy VII.

Early in the remake, Cloud tries to draw his sword while walking into an apartment, only to bang it awkwardly against the door frame because it's just too huge.

And later on in the original (might also be in the remake, not sure, but in the original it comes long after Midgar), you find out that Sephiroth died in the Nibelheim reactor because his sword was so absurdly long that Cloud, stabbed through on the end of the blade, had enough leverage to force himself down and Sephiroth up, then just turned slightly to drop Sephiroth off the railing they're on.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I will put in a nice thing about FFXIV that I just happened upon. There's one wandering FATE (think quests that anyone can just join in on if they're passing through, though if you're way overleveled you have to temporarily sync to a lower one) that's a monster that's been terrorizing a town. Specifically, it's a strange hairball known for making people go bald. The monster's name is Gossamer, which is a reference to this.

I mean I thought it was cute.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Len posted:

Cool

This, but unironically. Thanks for saving me the time.

Cleretic posted:

I describe FFXIV as getting good at the exact moment when Shiva casts Diamond Dust, but I will say that, like... honestly every game, even when it's good it only works for you if you like what it's putting down.

It's still a relatively slow burn. It's still an MMO that wants you to press a lot of buttons rather than just pressing a few really well. It's still a game you have to learn the mechanical vocabulary of. It's still a game that's all over the place stylistically--intentionally, not 'we didn't know what we wanted to do'. It's still a game with heavy political themes and plays that you as a player don't necessarily get to be involved with because they happen above you. It's still a game that takes very specific stances on a lot of its major players, that you may not agree with (people are gonna think I mean Shadowbringers, but I actually think you get the most examples in Stormblood and the most blatant examples in Heavensward). It's still a game that both knows and enforces the fact you can't solve everything with violence, while basically only giving you violence as a means of interaction.

If you aren't okay with those things, then it won't really work for you, and that's okay.

I can't really say that matches my experience at all, at least after getting to the mid 40s.

The "number of buttons to press" actually seems pretty minimal compared to other MMOs I've played. Classes seemed to have their rotation, 2-4 cooldowns/situational skills to pop as needed and not much else.

Each area has it's own politics going on sure, but they're not especially complicated and the regional plots end up taking a backseat to adventurers guild and plucky alliance vs. evil empire anyway.

The mechanical vocabulary seems mostly pretty standard MMO fare, if anything it's simpler and clearer. There's a built in aggro manager, hurty-ground has clear indicator rings in addition to the MMO standard fire effect. It's actually quite accessible so kudos to it in that department.

Everything seems pretty stylistically consistent to me. Yeah you've got the technologically advanced empire which looks quite different than the more idyllic good guys but that's standard FF fare.

I did really like the crafting though, and it's a huge improvement over launch FFXIV, the worst MMO I've ever played.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 11:48 on Sep 14, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

This, but unironically. Thanks for saving me the time.
[/quote]

The group content was fun and my potato man had a pompadour with jiggle physics but yeah that was the best I can give it

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

beats for junkies posted:

Wasteland 3 has a really good soundtrack with a ton of cover songs. Mild spoilers follow.

Early on, you have the option to murder a bunch of teenagers in a garden, and if you do, you get to listen to a country-rock (sorta) version of "Down In the Valley to Pray" (which is basically "Down to the River to Pray," which I recognized from O Brother Where Art Thou, but with a Valley instead of a River; there's also a more traditional version of "Down to the River" in another area, as background music). If you don't do the spoilered thing, you get no cool music.

Random radio songs include Marilyn Manson-sounding covers of the "Green Acres" theme and "Monster Mash" (a loading screen tip mentions that the faction who uses Monster Mash as their theme, the Monster Army, owe basically everything they are to one Robert George Pickett, aka Bobby "Boris" Pickett, who did the original Monster Mash - the game never tells you who he is, just lets you make the connection yourself). I murdered a bunch of Reagan-worshiping fascists to a gospel-y version of "America the Beautiful" and it was, well, beautiful. The first major fight (at the end of the intro/tutorial bit) uses a hymn, "Washed in the Blood of the Lamb." I haven't even mentioned the "Land of Confusion" or "Everybody Have Fun Tonight" covers because I haven't found them in-game yet, but I know they exist.

I learned from the WL3 thread here that the person responsible for all this great music is Mary Ramos, who does a lot of soundtrack work for Quentin Tarantino movies, and I think getting her involved was an inspired choice. I'm always looking forward to the next big setpiece fight, because I know it's gonna have a pretty great (cover) song to go along with it.

IIRC, Wasteland 2 only has one good soundtrack moment: when Matthias, the main antagonist, dedicates a song over the radio "to some very special people," and then plays "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?" by Culture Club. It came out of nowhere and was hilarious, and I'm glad that they decided to dig into that well a bit more for 3.

Also, another good little thing: the Reagan-worshiping fascist cult call themselves the Gippers (a Canadian buddy who's also playing the game didn't make the connection between the name and "they worship an old president as a god," until he met them). The game lets you murder every motherfucking last one of them almost as soon as you see them. gently caress Ronald Reagan, even video-game robot Ronald Reagan.

Interstate '82 had two things going for it:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

The Moon Monster posted:

I can't really say that matches my experience at all, at least after getting to the mid 40s.

The "number of buttons to press" actually seems pretty minimal compared to other MMOs I've played. Classes seemed to have their rotation, 2-4 cooldowns/situational skills to pop as needed and not much else.

Each area has it's own politics going on sure, but they're not especially complicated and the regional plots end up taking a backseat to adventurers guild and plucky alliance vs. evil empire anyway.

The mechanical vocabulary seems mostly pretty standard MMO fare, if anything it's simpler and clearer. There's a built in aggro manager, hurty-ground has clear indicator rings in addition to the MMO standard fire effect. It's actually quite accessible so kudos to it in that department.

Everything seems pretty stylistically consistent to me. Yeah you've got the technologically advanced empire which looks quite different than the more idyllic good guys but that's standard FF fare.

I did really like the crafting though, and it's a huge improvement over launch FFXIV, the worst MMO I've ever played.

Mid 40s is... still rather a distance from where most people would say the game 'gets good'. The streamlining did the game a lot of good, though. To cover a couple specific things...

Button amount: To give a vague number, I use three hotbar trays, each with twelve buttons on them. When including 'non-combat' buttons like mounts, Return and sprint, that has sometimes not been enough for every single button the job gives me, and in many cases I have to give up on making 'used together' moves actually go next to each other. I don't play many MMOs, but FFXIV is on the top end in button amount from what I've seen.

Most of the political intrigue moves in over the leadup to Heavensward, and then just never leaves. A Realm Reborn (level one to the credits roll after a dungeon) is more focused on a clear and simple story, because at the time they didn't know if they'd get to tell anything else.

Mechanical vocabulary really gets going in Heavensward, when they start coming up with and standardizing different types of AoE, and then getting brave enough to combine them and introduce fake-outs. Player jobs, too, start getting complicated around the 40s and then get more and more dense. One job, Summoner, is so elaborate these days that its standard endgame DPS rotation is five minutes long. Fortunately, nobody else is nearly that bad.

As to the variety in styles... again, around the 40s you won't have seen much. But a rough list of the things it throws at people, which I'll spoiler tag but most people kinda find these to be fair game:
-Ivalice, like from Tactics
-High-fantasy not-Catholic Church fights dragons, it's basically just Skyrim
-Said not-Catholic Church goes to a heavily sci-fi Floating Continent
-Steampunk time travel with silly-talking goblins. This storyline is 100% serious and played straight
-Two different not-Japans, one not-Mongolia
-An ancient city that is literally powered by demons
-Shin Megami Tensei style horror-angels (connected neither to the not-Catholic Church OR the demon city)
-Garry's Mod videos
-Persona 4 meets Fight Club
-'The writers clearly liked Game of Thrones when it was big'
-Ancient robot makes you fight bosses from old Final Fantasies
-Discworld dwarves
-Nier Automata. Literally Nier Automata, there is not yet an explanation

The game takes... a lot of stylistic turns you might not necessarily see coming, you kinda just have to be willing to run with it rather than try to fit it into its own specific box.

And yeah, the crafting is amazing, I love it. They're currently doing a week of ranked, competitive crafting, and I am unreasonably engaged in trying to stay in the top twenty-five alchemists on my server.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

at level 40 most jobs are missing like half their buttons, you might have a basic somewhat-functional rotation by 50 depending on job though, the game is designed to be babby's first mmo so combat complexity starts really really easy

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

what I like about star trek online is that you can just bind all your powers to spacebar and just mash it in combat, so you can focus on flying your spaceship instead

sadly they haven't reimported the console update to pc where the game will automash powers for you

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Late to the DS invasion chat, but I once summoned help in Bloodborne from a character called Elrond4McBong20. Absolute loving king amongst men. A god walked with us that day.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Tunicate posted:

what I like about star trek online is that you can just bind all your powers to spacebar and just mash it in combat, so you can focus on flying your spaceship instead

sadly they haven't reimported the console update to pc where the game will automash powers for you

that's basically how I handled non-situational abilities in everquest, I just hotkeyed like a dozen lifedrains to a tiny hidden hotbar then bound everything to a key, then a second hotbar for aggro spells and that was a second key, people thought I was amazing but really I just kept spamming lifedrains 24/7 and because the group health bars were slow to update I would end up healing myself up before anyone could see my hp drop, from my perspective my hp was yoyoing frantically between low and full but everyone else just saw this unstoppable meat wall that could not die

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Len posted:

hey pal, you've been here long enough to know: trust zero goon recommendations relating to any game genre except roguelikes

that goes double for anything MMO, Blizzard or JRPG related

the oldest lie in MMOs is "it gets better by X", which is standard MMO friend/guild gaslighting for you to stick around until you're in too deep

little thing: music in Return of the Obra Dinn is just so good, and the way it acts as a narrative marker is kinda inspired. almost disgusting that the dev did everything but the voice acting himself.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jeza posted:

hey pal, you've been here long enough to know: trust zero goon recommendations relating to any game genre except roguelikes

that goes double for anything MMO, Blizzard or JRPG related

the oldest lie in MMOs is "it gets better by X", which is standard MMO friend/guild gaslighting for you to stick around until you're in too deep

little thing: music in Return of the Obra Dinn is just so good, and the way it acts as a narrative marker is kinda inspired. almost disgusting that the dev did everything but the voice acting himself.

Right? I've been burned so many times I don't know why I keep listening to the goon hype.

But I will say I had more fun with it than I did WoW this past month when my drunk rear end decided to sub and play with friends.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I keep accidentally hugging my cat in Spiritfarer. Yes, I am posting in the right thread.

Thoth!
Apr 28, 2014

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Fair. And that scene is brilliant, especiallyif you figure out that you don't have to kill anyone, just scare them off. I fired off a few warningshots into the air because that seemed like a normal thing to do, and was floored when it actually worked.

This scene is definitely one of the high points. First time through the game, I just sat there, trying to avoid escalating until someone got me with a rock or something, instantly triggering the 'you're gonna die' vision effect, and I panic-shot, so of course my squad mate opened up. When the dust settled my one shot ended up with everyone dead, and the game had become dumb panicked grunt simulator.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

You should have brutally gunned them down on the spot for being enemy combatants

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
FF14 chat is stupid. The game is really good for what it is, but if you don't like that type of game then you won't like it. Not sure why there needs to be a big discussion about it itt?

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

FF14 chat is stupid. The game is really good for what it is, but if you don't like that type of game then you won't like it. Not sure why there needs to be a big discussion about it itt?

Eureka, you said it better than I could

:unsmigghh:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Sighence posted:

Eureka, you said it better than I could

:unsmigghh:

aaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My favorite thing in FF14 is how only cool and good people like it and the barrier it provides against people who exhale farts and sweat piss so I don't have to associate with that rabble.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
FF14 owns because i have a 7foot tall blue lady with a black and white pompadour that looks like the Bride of Frankenstein and she beats the poo poo outta everything with her fists

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

verbal enema posted:

FF14 owns because i have a 7foot tall blue lady with a black and white pompadour that looks like the Bride of Frankenstein and she beats the poo poo outta everything with her fists

The pomp is great and has jiggle physics

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Playing the Control AWE Expansion and loving it. Noticed a cool little touch: each occasion where you catch a glimpse of Alan Wake in the Oceanview Motel, if you look out the motel windows you can see that it is underwater, because Wake is still trapped under Cauldron Lake.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Gordon Shumway posted:

Playing the Control AWE Expansion and loving it. Noticed a cool little touch: each occasion where you catch a glimpse of Alan Wake in the Oceanview Motel, if you look out the motel windows you can see that it is underwater, because Wake is still trapped under Cauldron Lake.

Oh gently caress!

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

moosecow333 posted:

I keep accidentally hugging my cat in Spiritfarer. Yes, I am posting in the right thread.

this got vaguely annoying a couple of times if I was actually trying to do something important, but even then it's Spiritfarer and nothing is more important than hugging the cat

the actual annoyance of Spiritfarer was the loving zip lines but this is the wrong thread for that

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Playing EDF 4.1 again (still prefer it over EDF 5) - The great thing is that you can breeze through it on easy, then come back to any mission with any class and do any difficulty, and this works for online mode. This was especially helpful since I reinstalled and had lost my save data.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Len posted:

The pomp is great and has jiggle physics

Someone needs to make a meme of jiggle physics applied to boobs<butt<accessories<hair

ed: i did that exactly the wrong way around that I meant to

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 09:27 on Sep 15, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Someone needs to make a meme of jiggle physics applied to boobs>butt>accessories>hair

But Dead or Alive already exists? :confused:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Control is like 60% off on the xbox store, so I got it. One thing I noticed right away were all the office posters around the place, in particular one that says something like "time lost in unexpected building shifts does NOT count as overtime" even in a hidden paranormal government facility the Man is keeping the working joe down.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Biplane posted:

Control is like 60% off on the xbox store, so I got it. One thing I noticed right away were all the office posters around the place, in particular one that says something like "time lost in unexpected building shifts does NOT count as overtime" even in a hidden paranormal government facility the Man is keeping the working joe down.

There's some great memos to find along those lines too. Also one from an irate higher-up complaining that they didn't spend years working their way up the ladder just to deal with the executive bathroom disappearing, do something about it! :arghfist:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The Oldest House has no windows. If you notice a window within your workspace please activate the containment alarm and calmly make your way to the nearest shelter :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I knew the game was something special when the warning sign at the entrance checkpoint read something like:

quote:

The following items are not allowed to be brought inside:

1. Weapons
2. Laptops
3. Smart Phones
4 Anything that can be understood as an iconic representation of an archetypical concept.

:allears: