Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
We had around 25 people tap out over the course of a year. Doesn't seem like much until you realize a LA class sub only has about 130ish people attached to it at any given time. And it was a mix from E3s all the way up to a couple chiefs. We always joked that Captain Marquet came and turned the ship around and then Captain Foret came and turned it right back around. Before my last deployment was the only time I ever felt the need to have a conversation with my dad about what to do with my SGLI should it get paid out. Not because I was going to do something. But the rumors and jokes of us going 3 section with the Scorpion and Thresher were rampant right before deployment. And I didn't feel it was out of the realm of possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

MonkeyFit posted:

We had around 25 people tap out over the course of a year. Doesn't seem like much until you realize a LA class sub only has about 130ish people attached to it at any given time. And it was a mix from E3s all the way up to a couple chiefs. We always joked that Captain Marquet came and turned the ship around and then Captain Foret came and turned it right back around. Before my last deployment was the only time I ever felt the need to have a conversation with my dad about what to do with my SGLI should it get paid out. Not because I was going to do something. But the rumors and jokes of us going 3 section with the Scorpion and Thresher were rampant right before deployment. And I didn't feel it was out of the realm of possibility.

lmao so the author of "turn this ship around", a book about how to build sustained change that will last after your departure, departed and then his boat went to poo poo, shocking

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I had a lovely CO that was a huge fan of Turn This Ship Around and we used to say he was writing the sequel, Run This Ship Aground

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I'm having sympathetic nostalgia pangs about how miserable submarine service was. :toot:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cerekk posted:

lmao so the author of "turn this ship around", a book about how to build sustained change that will last after your departure, departed and then his boat went to poo poo, shocking

I read that book, I'm absolutely shocked that he inherited a garbage command, turned it around, and then once he was gone it immediately went back to poo poo. Shoulda passed the relieving CO a copy of his book lol.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

orange juche posted:

I read that book, I'm absolutely shocked that he inherited a garbage command, turned it around, and then once he was gone it immediately went back to poo poo. Shoulda passed the relieving CO a copy of his book lol.

I remember when I saw that book so I did some research, the previous unnamed tyrant CO (at least taking the author at face value) made admiral.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
In Marquet's defense, he had the boat in the late 90s early 2000s, and it really went to poo poo around 2016 it was actually a good boat when I showed up. I just unfortunately showed up right at a peak and watched it descend into a cesspool.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MonkeyFit posted:

In Marquet's defense, he had the boat in the late 90s early 2000s, and it really went to poo poo around 2016 it was actually a good boat when I showed up. I just unfortunately showed up right at a peak and watched it descend into a cesspool.

Oh no I'm not ripping on Marquet, if he was actually able to turn a garbage command around like he claimed in the book then he's essentially a miracle worker, I'm ripping on the Navy and specifically the Submarine Navy's inherent desire to make everything poo poo and pain and suffering, eternally.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

iwentdoodie posted:

I would add gas.

My wife still makes fun of him for his horrible speech that was mandatory attendance prior to our 2nd deployment.

I seriously wish that man nothing but ill and pain in his life.

He inspires hatred across the entire rank structure.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

In keeping with the finest traditions of United States Naval service

SELRES E7 quotas out, almost double last year at 30+%. I did my part in freeing up a quota

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

For fucks sake the man is a three star now.

Watch, he's gonna wind up being CNO or some poo poo.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 9, 2020

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

orange juche posted:

Oh no I'm not ripping on Marquet, if he was actually able to turn a garbage command around like he claimed in the book then he's essentially a miracle worker, I'm ripping on the Navy and specifically the Submarine Navy's inherent desire to make everything poo poo and pain and suffering, eternally.

A lot of the same stuff seemed to be there when I was on board (at least in name. But the command was all about that book, not realizing that encouraging us to read it was maybe a poor idea, since it read like our time on the boat in reverse). But what I noticed between reading his book and the boat, is that the chiefs quarters can absolutely make or break a command almost more than any other part of the crew. Because if the chiefs actually give a poo poo about those underneath them, you can extract a poo poo ton of labor and effort, and people will be glad to put in the effort. But if they are only interested in waiting for retirement, or worse, their own careers, then the boat will suffer greatly. The captain can of course play a role in that by properly setting their expectations with the chiefs. But the chiefs still seem to play the most pivotal role. And given most people's opinions of the navy, what does that say about chief culture in the navy?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nick Soapdish posted:

In keeping with the finest traditions of United States Naval service

SELRES E7 quotas out, almost double last year at 30+%. I did my part in freeing up a quota

FC and FCA at an inspiring 0%

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

PneumonicBook posted:

FC and FCA at an inspiring 0%

I would say 75% of my compatriots stayed in, so this doesn't necessarily surprise me. The fact they stayed in though did though does, but what do I know.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

MonkeyFit posted:

A lot of the same stuff seemed to be there when I was on board (at least in name. But the command was all about that book, not realizing that encouraging us to read it was maybe a poor idea, since it read like our time on the boat in reverse). But what I noticed between reading his book and the boat, is that the chiefs quarters can absolutely make or break a command almost more than any other part of the crew. Because if the chiefs actually give a poo poo about those underneath them, you can extract a poo poo ton of labor and effort, and people will be glad to put in the effort. But if they are only interested in waiting for retirement, or worse, their own careers, then the boat will suffer greatly. The captain can of course play a role in that by properly setting their expectations with the chiefs. But the chiefs still seem to play the most pivotal role. And given most people's opinions of the navy, what does that say about chief culture in the navy?

The best chiefs I ever worked for were the ones who stopped giving a poo poo about their career and just worked for their people.

So, 2 in ten years.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

IT quotas looking pretty good....

However I got 2 years and 11 months before I can step on rake, dodge it, trip and fall into it and promise to be the worse chief ever and actually care about my peons.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Thanks Obama! :argh:

DFAS Email posted:

In order to provide relief during the COVID-19 pandemic, a Presidential Memorandum was issued on August 8, 2020 and guidance followed by Internal Revenue Service on August 28, 2020, to temporarily defer Social Security (Old Age, Survivors, and Disability Insurance (OASDI), as seen on the Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) as "FICA-SOC SECURITY") tax withholdings in the pay of some service members.

Effective for the September mid-month pay, DFAS will temporarily defer the withholding of your 6.2% Social Security tax if your monthly rate of basic pay is less than $8,666.66. If your monthly rate of basic pay is at or above this threshold, your social security tax withholding will not be affected by the temporary deferral.

Key Facts:

- The Social Security tax is labeled as "FICA-SOC SECURITY" on the LES and is calculated as 6.2% of your basic pay.
- This change is effective through the end of the 2020 calendar year and only applies to your Social Security tax withholding. Normal withholding of your FICA-Social Security taxes will resume effective January 1, 2021.
- You are not eligible to opt-out of the deferral if your basic pay falls within the stated wage limits. The deferral will happen automatically.
- In accordance with current IRS guidance, collection of the deferred taxes will be taken from your wages between January 1 and April 30, 2021. Additional information on the collection process will be provided in the future.
- If you separate or retire in 2020 before the Social Security tax can be collected in 2021, you are still responsible for the Social Security tax repayment.

Of course, the only people capable of making enough in base pay to be exempted from this are O-5 and above.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Sep 10, 2020

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
All the instgram military meme pages are reminding followers to save this extra windfall for taxes next year

Enlisted being enlisted, I see new rims, or electronics instead.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
I mean, they're just gonna pillage your pay for it on the back end...so you'll probably just get double taxed for a few months. Dumb as gently caress but I'm not really seeing a huge reason to panic save.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Syrian Lannister posted:

All the instgram military meme pages are reminding followers to save this extra windfall for taxes next year

Enlisted being enlisted, I see new rims, or electronics instead.

"As long as I get promoted this next cycle I can spend that extra money now and be able to pay it back later!"

*goes to mast, gets busted down*

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Congress can forgive it, and probably will if it gets enough attention on the military side.

That obviously doesnt mean spend it though.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

PneumonicBook posted:

Congress can forgive it, and probably will if it gets enough attention on the military side.

That obviously doesnt mean spend it though.

I am sure the two houses of Congress controlled by different parties will definitely come to an agreement on a bill that reduces funding to Social Security

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Cerekk posted:

I am sure the two houses of Congress controlled by different parties will definitely come to an agreement on a bill that reduces funding to Social Security

Especially when a lot of shitheads in the 117th Congress are going to magically start caring about DEBT and the only solution will be cutting SS/Medicare

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Cerekk posted:

It depends on the narrative, which Republicans are normally better at controlling than Democrats.

If enough noise is made about how this is going to hurt lower enlisted I can see Republicans caving on it, especially since they werent super hot on payroll tax deferments everytime Trump brought it up.

Of course then youve got people like my brother who are taking the Just World fallacy to the grave and saying anyone hurt by this isnt living within their means and are all idiots.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Syrian Lannister posted:

Enlisted being enlisted, I see new rimsmustangs, or electronics instead.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Enough time has passed since EAOS that I can no longer describe the workings of a lithium bromide refrigeration unit. I am a better person for this.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I can’t even describe my own job on this ship because we don’t have permissions on the network to do anything.

Feels good man.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Madurai posted:

Enough time has passed since EAOS that I can no longer describe the workings of a lithium bromide refrigeration unit. I am a better person for this.

Reminds me of a Star Trek writer's stock answer whenever fans demanded to know how some bit of :techno: worked: "It works very well, thanks for asking."

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
CID Corry and NAS Pensacola shut down tonight and tomorrow. Sandbags are up infront of the compounds/schoolhouses. Students had to put trash bags around all the equipment.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
haha get hosed
https://twitter.com/Vahn16/status/1305630270243188737

for the record

Vriess fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 14, 2020

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

In loving credible.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I don't get it can someone explain what is going on there?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Lou Takki posted:

I don't get it can someone explain what is going on there?

The official Navy Twitch channel was streaming Among Us with his 'friends' using such fantastic names like 'Japan 1945', 'Nagasaki', and 'Gamer Word'. Gamer word is more or less the n word.

Not a great look!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Those were people who joined the game, not military people. And the sailor that was running the twitch got fired for it.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

PneumonicBook posted:

The official Navy Twitch channel was streaming Among Us with his 'friends' using such fantastic names like 'Japan 1945', 'Nagasaki', and 'Gamer Word'. Gamer word is more or less the n word.

Not a great look!

Ohhhhhhhhhhh wow that's really dumb, the internet makes you stupid.

e: ill admit I kinda laughed at japan1945

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Any attempt to do 'esports' should be an internal-focused MWR program, maybe service academy representation for whatever college league emerges since the NCAA said no to it. Sponsoring a team of civillians could be plausible, but probably not worth the risk of a player dropping an N-bomb on stream.

That this stuff is exclusively coming out as a form of live stream advertising is probably a ROI thats quite difficult to ignore for an industry hungry for the 16-24 demo, but wouldn't have been my choice.

Can any of these players be any good (at the pro level) at these games if they were a good Sailor Soldier Airman Marine in the fleet? Can they engage the audience at the personal level that attracts followers while in uniform? Is it worth the risks of an open platform for detractors or the potential for livestreaming missteps without a watch bill of PAOs manning the locker?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
The answers are that using twitch in the way they are is a real bad idea. The major US streamers like Ninja, Summit, Shroud all have to contend with tasteless jokes and trolling and be on the lookout for it at all times. They also have the following to draw in viewers for variety. If they weren't so well established, they would have to be a high skilled, e-sports player to draw people for entertainment.

A mediocre player will have trouble drawing viewers without name or talent to back it up. However, that target demographic would love to troll a target that represents authority and can't effectively respond. People watch to be entertained and I suspect the trolling is the entertainment available there. Especially when its so effortless.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

So..... my normal paycheck was 5k over my regular amount. Boy oh boy I didn’t have enough issues lately can’t wait to figure this bullshit out.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

So..... my normal paycheck was 5k over my regular amount. Boy oh boy I didn’t have enough issues lately can’t wait to figure this bullshit out.

I had something similar happen once. Not that much but like 1.5ish k. Turns out they had forgotten to start paying me career sea pay and then they caught it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

Those were people who joined the game, not military people. And the sailor that was running the twitch got fired for it.

One of the articles I read said the game was full of his friends, not randos. Among Us works either way, I'm not sure if he was running a completely closed game or what.