Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

I haven't been tracking Brexit stuff for a while, but from what I can determine:
1. No trade deals are in the making, which I assume means WTO only as of Jan 1 (not sure of the date)?
2. PM is trying to pass some kinda thing with regard to the Northern Ireland peace treaty that's illegal, and likely to blow up any trade deal with the US & EU

Is that about right? If so what happens on Jan 1? Does everything just fall off a cliff? When does reality collapse for the UK?

1. Yes. WTO is not a trade deal, its where you list the tariffs and quotas on other countries goods coming in. The EU has an agreement to keep these low to each other.
Without it, it can be anything. The UK things it can get lower tariffs, but will find other countries won't just give them a better deal because they are the UK.
This page here explains it all: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-45112872

2. Yes. The Good Friday Agreement signed to have peace in NI has a provision in it that the NI/Republic border has no border check points. A 'hard' border. These were manned by the British army and acted as both customs and terrorism related searches. The Withdrawal Brexit bill that was voted and accepted by the UK said that the customs border will be between NI and the UK, in 'the Irish Sea'. Keeping it internal to the UK. So no 'hard' border, a 'soft' internal one.
The Boris vote is saying a hard border is going to happen, customs areas are being set up (laughably ineptly set up but thats another topic). This will lead to food and medicine delays and shortages, and prices increasing across the board.
Northern Ireland won't like being poo poo on by the UK, 55% voted to remain. And if the GFA is not being accepted fully by the UK, the other agreeing members to it can say 'hey we don't have to follow it either' so you can possibly have the IRA/UVF starting bombing/shooting again.
The US has a soft spot for Ireland reunification due to past irish immigrants moving there and massive lobbying over the last lock of decades, so they won't like the UK doing this. And so a trade deal will not happen to save the UK's rear end for leaving the EU.

It won't instantly happen on Jan 1st, no doubt the brexiteers will trumpet how they are still standing and are free and soverign and have fish now for a few weeks afterwards.
But it will slowly fall over, once the shops start having less and less goods.

Probably why Boris wants to get rid of the human rights laws atm, to contain any who doth protest thy new sovereignty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Err we have a trade deal with Japan it's all fine.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Government won the vote. Well done Boris!!!!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I hope they werent out past 9pm?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

justcola posted:

I used to have a five hour commute, I'd wake up at half 5 and get home just before 8. Didn't do much besides work and if there were any traffic jams my day would be hosed.

If it meant affordable rent I'd probably choose that to be honest. Sit in the car with cigarettes and coffee and a podcast that's honestly not far off what half my leisure time is anyway tbh.

The Perfect Element posted:

Government won the vote. Well done Boris!!!!

This means we're technically a nation of pirates right?

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
This country is hosed lmao

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Imagine commuting in a tesla? You wont even need a house just an occasional charge station and a job!

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

one which, hilariously, requires more stringent anti-state aid rules than we're leaving with the EU. Getting our sovereignty back, one trade deal at a time.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

and yeah im fairly sure if boris's hard border goes ahead, NI is going to secede and join ROI.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

happyhippy posted:

1. Yes. WTO is not a trade deal, its where you list the tariffs and quotas on other countries goods coming in. The EU has an agreement to keep these low to each other.
Without it, it can be anything. The UK things it can get lower tariffs, but will find other countries won't just give them a better deal because they are the UK.
This page here explains it all: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-45112872

2. Yes. The Good Friday Agreement signed to have peace in NI has a provision in it that the NI/Republic border has no border check points. A 'hard' border. These were manned by the British army and acted as both customs and terrorism related searches. The Withdrawal Brexit bill that was voted and accepted by the UK said that the customs border will be between NI and the UK, in 'the Irish Sea'. Keeping it internal to the UK. So no 'hard' border, a 'soft' internal one.
The Boris vote is saying a hard border is going to happen, customs areas are being set up (laughably ineptly set up but thats another topic). This will lead to food and medicine delays and shortages, and prices increasing across the board.
Northern Ireland won't like being poo poo on by the UK, 55% voted to remain. And if the GFA is not being accepted fully by the UK, the other agreeing members to it can say 'hey we don't have to follow it either' so you can possibly have the IRA/UVF starting bombing/shooting again.
The US has a soft spot for Ireland reunification due to past irish immigrants moving there and massive lobbying over the last lock of decades, so they won't like the UK doing this. And so a trade deal will not happen to save the UK's rear end for leaving the EU.

It won't instantly happen on Jan 1st, no doubt the brexiteers will trumpet how they are still standing and are free and soverign and have fish now for a few weeks afterwards.
But it will slowly fall over, once the shops start having less and less goods.

Probably why Boris wants to get rid of the human rights laws atm, to contain any who doth protest thy new sovereignty.

Thanks for this, and the linked article. What a colossal mess!

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1305483373385854976?s=19

Actually, fine. Let them do it. Hope their fingers slip coughing.

Its the poor cunts that have to following them round making them feel like king for a day. There is far more to it than posh twats with guns.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lost 46% of trade from the EU.
Gained 0.07% back from Japan.

We should clap at 8pm.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Ash Crimson posted:

This country is hosed lmao

Now now we can* vote our way out** of this mess***

*try to
**into another mess
***in 4 years time

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

happyhippy posted:

Gained 0.07% back from Japan.

Oh cool, we should all rewatch You Only Live Twice in celebration of our dumb, racist country :v:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Communist Thoughts posted:

Now now we can vote our way out of this mess in 4 years time

Immortan Gapes will scrap voting in 2 years time.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

Fumble posted:

Its the poor cunts that have to following them round making them feel like king for a day. There is far more to it than posh twats with guns.

My dad used to be a charge nurse in an old style psychiatric rehab ward back in the 80s. There was a long standing deal done with the retiring charge nurse when he took over that a load of patients would be loaded into a minibus at the weekend and act as beaters for the local pheasant hunt. It was seen as therapeutic, but my old man thought it involved a bit of trousered money for the bloke retiring. He asked the patients who did it if they enjoyed it and did they want to continue doing it and to a man they declined. So it stopped.

My dad even discovered there were unsaid, but a long standing understanding that the amount of largactil would be reduced leading up to October, the start of the season. Long term psychotics suffering from tardive dyskinesia on reduced dose of medication made very good beaters with the flailing arms and shouting.

loving disgusting.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

I agree completely that the government is playing fast and loose with an incredibly important and potentially explosive (lol) thing here, but in reality aren't the number of IRA/UVF guys who genuinely want a return to firefights in the streets limited to a few bitter old men in the back of third rate belfast boozers?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's likely true, but if you add new grievances, current political divides, and firearms into the mix then *gestures at the USA*

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Dogatron posted:

My dad even discovered there were unsaid, but a long standing understanding that the amount of largactil would be reduced leading up to October, the start of the season. Long term psychotics suffering from tardive dyskinesia on reduced dose of medication made very good beaters with the flailing arms and shouting.

This is impressively hosed up and I think its kind of sad the tory party is no longer a party capable of elevating those with this kind of thinking to the upper echelons of the party.

Cummins wishes.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

ThomasPaine posted:

I agree completely that the government is playing fast and loose with an incredibly important and potentially explosive (lol) thing here, but in reality aren't the number of IRA/UVF guys who genuinely want a return to firefights in the streets limited to a few bitter old men in the back of third rate belfast boozers?

If socio economic conditions get worse, I imagine a there is a huge recruitment pool of young people that could be influenced by a few bitter old men.

I imagine there will be a increasing amount of unemployed young people soon.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Put a hard border around all English ports, boom, GFA remains intact. I've solved it lads.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i hate these people so much

https://twitter.com/yet_so_far/status/1305582079137255426?s=20

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Dogatron posted:

If socio economic conditions get worse, I imagine a there is a huge recruitment pool of young people that could be influenced by a few bitter old men.

https://twitter.com/david_cameron/status/595112367358406656?lang=en

Love that we could have just had minorly decreased income streams for the shareholders of UK energy utilities but instead it's all this. The one small c-conservative that works at the Telegraph must have had the most profound existential moment in the last 4 years.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Dogatron posted:

Yeah. I guess the question is: who's in charge of those groups at the moment, how likely are they to be able to take advantage of economic conditions to be able to recruit people to their groups (i.e. how lucrative does smuggling to the mainland become) and how much effort does Westminster put into trying to keep an eye on what's going on.

If there's civil disorder elsewhere in the country, I can see MI5 getting tasked with identifying everyone nicking stationery from Smiths or setting fire to roundabouts in Chipping Norton, to the exclusion of other domestic matters.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

kingturnip posted:

Yeah. I guess the question is: who's in charge of those groups at the moment, how likely are they to be able to take advantage of economic conditions to be able to recruit people to their groups (i.e. how lucrative does smuggling to the mainland become) and how much effort does Westminster put into trying to keep an eye on what's going on.

If there's civil disorder elsewhere in the country, I can see MI5 getting tasked with identifying everyone nicking stationery from Smiths or setting fire to roundabouts in Chipping Norton, to the exclusion of other domestic matters.

I can't believe whsmiths still exists?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Hey in Lighter news JK rowling has gone completely off the deep end and is writing a book about a serial killer cis man crossdressing as a women in order to kill women, (presumably, knowing JK rowling, in womens shelters). Really not sure what the gently caress is going on in her head but honestly it's the kind of mental state that gets people recruited into neo nazi groups. Why do you care *so much* about a specific issue that effects you not a whit.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Drone_Fragger posted:

Hey in Lighter news JK rowling has gone completely off the deep end and is writing a book about a serial killer cis man crossdressing as a women in order to kill women, (presumably, knowing JK rowling, in womens shelters). Really not sure what the gently caress is going on in her head but honestly it's the kind of mental state that gets people recruited into neo nazi groups. Why do you care *so much* about a specific issue that effects you not a whit.

glinner syndrome

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

thrashingteeth posted:

You know it's not going to be BITING satire when Micheal Gove said he was "incredibly flattered" to be a spitting image puppet. Comedy is dead, liberals loving killed it.

Same was true for quite a lot of the original show. Spitting Image was very good to Tebbit.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Friends of friends type connection, but I know some of the people who work at the company who make the spitting image puppets. I'm pretty sure anyway, they did big heads and masked singer recently too. I don't know how involved they are in the design work but I would assume quite heavily so its a little odd knowing them as actual people how they'd gently caress up quite so much. Might have a word.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ScrtDrugAddict/status/1305654683030228997

Big Nev being probably the most Correct person to have appeared in the Graun in several years.

e: The final quote has touched me in a way I really wasn't expecting:

quote:

“We all have our dreams. But what we’re trying to do in this country is stop everybody dreaming. That’s the worst thing we can do because that’s where we find hope. We should all have loads of dreams and ambitions and live our lives to the full. It’s simple really.”

That's what it's really about, isn't it? Everything for the last 40 years, just closing down any avenue for people to live their own lives. We are rent-generating serfs, existing only to generate wealth for a new generation of feudal lords. Anything that isn't making someone else richer is to be stamped out.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 15, 2020

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Vitamin P posted:

This means we're technically a nation of pirates right?

Always were.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

quote:

Wetherspoon says 66 staff tested positive for Covid-19 but none of its pubs closed for deep clean

source: https://www.independent.co.uk/business/wetherspoon-coronavirus-positive-tests-p-b437075.html

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Good morning UK Goons, for anyone wondering how and why the lockdowns have been such an effective 'recruiting' tool for the far-right, here is a nice long piece that puts it all in to context. It seems to have been well received so I hope you find some value in there. Conservatives have used the 'Conspiracy Narrative' in the fight against collectivism since at least the end of WW1, Trump's election tore the mask off, and now here we are:

The Greatest Trick the Devil Ever Pulled

Offering a competing narrative is going to be an important part of the journey out of this mess and this may have a chance of reaching some people, who knows, good luck.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 15, 2020

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Well I got blocked on twitter by an FBPE and it made me laugh which is a nice feeling.

I did a tweet on the news that Starmer is isolating due to potential covid and said Good job he demanded schools reopen. The FBPE said (not 100% sure because they blocked me) "If they were made safe - you left that bit out" so I replied with Keir's tweet:

"My message to the Prime Minister: I don't just want all children back at school next month, I expect them back at school. No Ifs, no buts, no equivocation" and called them a clown. :D

Small joys in this awful country! :D

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Good morning UK Goons, for anyone wondering how and why the lockdowns have been such an effective 'recruiting' tool for the far-right, here is a nice long piece that puts it all in to context. It seems to have been well received so I hope you find some value in there. Conservatives have used the 'Conspiracy Narrative' in the fight against collectivism since at least the end of WW1, Trump's election tore the mask off, and now here we are:

Offering a competing narrative is going to be an important part of the journey out of this mess and this may have a chance of reaching some people, who knows, good luck.
Link is 404

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Nearly 700,000 people lost their jobs in May and August.

Christ alive.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Man my commute isn't bad compared to some of these, 25km one way on a straight, paved rural road, takes me 20 minutes on a good day. Main traffic dangers are moose and deer. I saw a fox a few weeks ago too, and some curious fawn.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bucky Fullminster posted:

You don't need to spread your crazy to other threads just because the Q thread thinks you're absolutely mental.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

His Divine Shadow posted:

Man my commute isn't bad compared to some of these, 25km one way on a straight, paved rural road, takes me 20 minutes on a good day. Main traffic dangers are moose and deer. I saw a fox a few weeks ago too, and some curious fawn.

I saw a fox on the way to the gym this morning (I was going, not the fox). It reacted to me with such a lack of concern that I nervously looked back a couple of times to make sure it wasn't following me to bite my legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

Recently Sinn Féin saw a massive increase in support in the General Election, from both the disenfranchised young and the old bitter people. Plus I'm sure I'm not doing a libel when I say that some prominent members of Sinn Féin had connections to the IRA and it was just. Gerry Adams. Plus, there has been a surge in gangland murders in the Republic, so that may show a willingness for young people to start poo poo for fun.