Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Oh really? I heard of a delay, but somehow had the 15th in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
How’s the warranty on NVidia FE cards? I just realized I’ve always bought EVGA so I have no idea what NVidia is like.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't know. I've been looking at the TUF card gallery, editing the URLs you can get high resolution pictures, and the cooler looks to me making large contact to all important parts, including VRMs.

Yeah, I think all the cooler layouts we've seen so far suggest full coverage for the die + VRAM at least this time around, and probably also the VRMs.

By "the whole thing gets hot" I meant more that the plastic shroud on most coolers remains reasonably cool (<40C), while the FE has 50-70C touchpoints all over the entire thing.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

How's the warranty on NVidia FE cards? I just realized I've always bought EVGA so I have no idea what NVidia is like.

3 years, at least in the US. Their actual support service isn't as great as EVGA's, but it's not bad.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If I were to get an FE, I'd probably set up some spare fan at the bottom of the case blowing some modicum of air into the general direction of these two passive bits of heatsink. So long it ain't a Noctua, it should be near invisible.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't know. I've been looking at the TUF card gallery, editing the URLs you can get high resolution pictures, and the cooler looks to me making large contact to all important parts, including VRMs. And it's pretty oversize and has three fans blowing on the heatsink instead of just two. I hope some of the reviewers has reviews for both the FE and the TUF online tomorrow, to see if there's a considerable thermal difference. I keep mentioning the TUF because it looks like one of the visually least offensive AIBs.

--edit: I guess one might argue that the AIBs typically blow the hot air back onto the PCB considering the heatsink layouts, and that's also not desirable.

I'm also planning on a TUF card because the cooler does look immaculate. All aluminum shroud too.

My FE 1070 has a Accelero Xtreme III bolted to it so I'm a bit spoiled when it comes to thermals.

I agree that 3 fans is more then 2, and 2.7 slots is more then 2.

My money is on the FE being good for cases with low airflow, but board partner are better in open air and high airflow cases.

Currently planning on blindly buying it on the 17th in person at a microcenter.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

If I were to get an FE, I'd probably set up some spare fan at the bottom of the case blowing some modicum of air into the general direction of these two passive bits of heatsink. So long it ain't a Noctua, it should be near invisible.

That’s my plan, but with a Noctua and all in on brown and cream :getin:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Combat Pretzel posted:

I’m almost certainly cracking the side panel of my case and aiming a box fan at it while I work out a better airflow solution.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
https://twitter.com/Radeon/status/1305612438675562505

https://twitter.com/NateOrb/status/1305616619310395392

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-showcases-radeon-rx-6000-graphics-card-design

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 14, 2020

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Interesting AMD is adding a USBC port and nvidia dropped it all together.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Kingnothing posted:

That’s my plan, but with a Noctua and all in on brown and cream :getin:

:hai:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

B-Mac posted:

Interesting AMD is adding a USBC port and nvidia dropped it all together.

and apparently the virtuallink spec has been abandoned, so at this point it's only useful for usb-c monitors or as a general usb port

https://www.roadtovr.com/virtuallink-connection-standard-abandoned/

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Hey, I'll take it. I'd love to have just a single cable for a 38WN95C if I end up buying that monitor. Probably not gonna be that simple.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

AMD strongly signaling their target demographic is young children scraping together allowance to buy a graphic card.

I think I can pretty comfortably go with my 3080 and not worry about what they have.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Hey, I'll take it. I'd love to have just a single cable for a 38WN95C if I end up buying that monitor. Probably not gonna be that simple.

i doubt big navi will have enough juice on the usb-c port to power such a huge monitor

turings usb-c port was only good for 27 watts

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

repiv posted:

and apparently the virtuallink spec has been abandoned, so at this point it's only useful for usb-c monitors or as a general usb port

Frankly that's still pretty useful for some people (like me). Though I'd have preferred 2x HDMI 2.1's on there.

At what appears to be a strict 2-slot cooler design, that's either gonna run silly hot/loud, or not be as powerful as some people are hoping. Presumably AIBs will do their usual work with it, though.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

repiv posted:

i doubt big navi will have enough juice on the usb-c port to power such a huge monitor

turings usb-c port was only good for 27 watts

lol, yes. I meant from computer. DP + Usb HUB

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I've never bought a top tier GPU before or anything on launch day, but I RMA'd my 5700xt today so currently have no GPU which makes a 3080 look like a great idea.

How difficult has it typically been to buy on day 1 in the UK? Are we talking 'be online at 2pm when they go on sale and you should get one' or 'tickets for Glastonbury' levels of luck needed?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The USB C on Big Navi is actually power in. You'll need an external 100W power supply. Once again AMD is the true innovator, Nvidia plebs just get a new connector.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DrDork posted:

Frankly that's still pretty useful for some people (like me). Though I'd have preferred 2x HDMI 2.1's on there.

At what appears to be a strict 2-slot cooler design, that's either gonna run silly hot/loud, or not be as powerful as some people are hoping. Presumably AIBs will do their usual work with it, though.

I don't get where the actual use is to you. DP alt mode is independent of VirtualLink.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Demand isn’t normal, its extreme due to limited ways to waste money on entertainment.

No one knows how much the pandemic screwed with supply too.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

I don't get where the actual use is to you. DP alt mode is independent of VirtualLink.

USB-C cables are almost universally considerably thinner than DP cables are, for one. Not sure if it'll also link in to a USB root hub, but that would be a double-bonus. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal, but I have an enormous mess of cables already, so thinning or eliminating any of them would be appreciated. Yes, I know you can do DP -> USB-C adapters, but the fewer adapters the better for the same reason.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

https://www.roadtovr.com/virtuallink-connection-standard-abandoned/

yeah worst case, you can still plug your VR usb into that and save more accessible usb ports for other peripherals i guess

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

What I meant was they fired the whole bullet, casing and all

And that's why I also threw in the link to the Portal 2 fake ad deliberately doing that very same thing, what are you trying to say that I didn't already see?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

someone on reddit emailed seasonic about their 12pin modular cables, and seasonic replied saying they're going to give them away for free

meanwhile evga is charging :20bux::20bux: it's individually sleeved but still come on lmao

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-NK-3000-B9

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

repiv posted:

meanwhile evga is charging :20bux::20bux: it's individually sleeved but still come on lmao

I think you are also forgetting the all-important cable combs.

Honestly I have no idea how companies get away with charging what they do for additional cables. My friend just bought a 750W Corsair PSU for $120. And then promptly spent another $80 on cables because she wanted them to be white instead of black. And it didn't even include the 24-pin connector because she read the listing wrong--it would have been $110 for the pack with all the cables.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ah yes, the days of $40 printers with $30 parallel cables.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
I would assume the FE editions ship with a power adapter? Sure the modular one looks better but lol I only see inside my computer to clean or upgrade it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sipher posted:

I would assume the FE editions ship with a power adapter? Sure the modular one looks better but lol I only see inside my computer to clean or upgrade it.

Yeah, they do.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Perfect, thanks. I'm gonna fake a doctors appt for my kid so I can try to snag one at Best Buy instead of working

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

repiv posted:

someone on reddit emailed seasonic about their 12pin modular cables, and seasonic replied saying they're going to give them away for free

drat i'm glad i bought a 850W seasonic

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Sipher posted:

Yeah, and a lot of the other PSU companies have said "they're shipping you one we're not making it".

Edit: Corsair and Thermaltake have said they aren't giving out free ones.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 14, 2020

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Sipher posted:

Definitely hit up Seasonic for a free one if you qualify for that offer though, can't beat free

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have an Antec 750W PSU which is apparently made by Seasonic. I wonder if the Seasonic modular cables would work on my Antec if I need one.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Antec's no-frills "heavy duty" GPU bracket is 20% off with "coupon" at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089NRZKW5/

Even though they have it oriented one way, I don't see why you couldn't turn it sideways to minimize its visual profile.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

FuturePastNow posted:

Definitely hit up Seasonic for a free one if you qualify for that offer though, can't beat free

I have a 5 year old EVGA 650w so my option is apparently $$$ or free but slightly more ungainly.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have an Antec 750W PSU which is apparently made by Seasonic. I wonder if the Seasonic modular cables would work on my Antec if I need one.

According to the builder thread you have to be very very very careful about using cables from other PSUs as things can go catastrophically wrong if the cable isn't actually compatible, so just triple check before trying one.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yeah i wouldn't count on the modular pin-out matching between seasonic OEM and seasonic branded designs

seasonic makes psus for evga and corsair but i'm pretty sure they're customized to evga/corsairs pinouts

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a compilation of all the released versions of the 3080? I'm trying to track down all of the ones that are no bigger than 2 slot, and not coming up much avove the GPU bracket, like the FE and the EVGA 3080 XC3. Microcenter isn't gonna have the FE so I'm trying to see what any other alternatives would be to fit my case.

Edit: this seems to be the best listing? https://videocardz.net/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080

Edit 2: Jeez I think that XC3 and the FE are literally the only two 2 slot coolers.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 15, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Zero VGS posted:

Is there a compilation of all the released versions of the 3080? I'm trying to track down all of the ones that are no bigger than 2 slot, and not coming up much avove the GPU bracket, like the FE and the EVGA 3080 XC3. Microcenter isn't gonna have the FE so I'm trying to see what any other alternatives would be to fit my case.

Edit: this seems to be the best listing? https://videocardz.net/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080

Micro Center will likely have ASUS, EVGA, Gigabyte, MSI, and/or ZOTAC. I honestly wouldn't trust Zotac given the thermal figures we're seeing.

And I'm not saying that because I have first or second-hand knowledge. I'm merely saying that because I've seen those brands on their shelves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

:rip:

someone msged newegg ca about the 3080 - they expect <100 units being shipped in for an EVGA and Zotac 3080 SKU

lol Oct 9 shipping for the XC and FTW3 EVGA cards

good luck