Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

smoobles posted:

if they all max out and combine, we will see the first ever Category 25 hurricane

Hmm . . . if Tip were parked in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico, would it have been able to hit every single gulf state/country? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Zarin posted:

Hmm . . . if Tip were parked in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico, would it have been able to hit every single gulf state/country? :thunk:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Holy poo poo. I only intended that to be a stupid joke post, but . . . wow :captainpop:

Fake edit: When did the smilies page get a filter field!?!?!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zarin posted:

Holy poo poo. I only intended that to be a stupid joke post, but . . . wow :captainpop:

Fake edit: When did the smilies page get a filter field!?!?!

I'm pretty sure it was years ago. It got useful metadata like a month ago though.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

smoobles posted:

if they all max out and combine, we will see the first ever Category 25 hurricane

You see this is why should start naming them after words not names, then as going into the future we got more combined hurricane it can create sentence!

I mean if worlds going to hell might as well at least have some fun with it...

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The funny thing is, the season got put on pause for a month or two by that Saharan dust, and we're still breaking all the records.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Iron Crowned posted:

The funny thing is, the season got put on pause for a month or two by that Saharan dust, and we're still breaking all the records.

cover the sahara in battery powered Tesla fans and we can finally defeat the hurricanes

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

january 3rd hurricane?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

january 3rd hurricane?

today we’d probably detect it earlier and count it as the previous season

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

hahaha

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Eat poo poo, Blioxi!

https://twitter.com/MargaretOrr/status/1305609137888342016

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

LOCKITIN

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

It's cool that recyclable plastic was a scam

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/11/897692090/how-big-oil-misled-the-public-into-believing-plastic-would-be-recycled

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Yeah in Hawaii they just burn it. They use the aluminum (which is actually profitable to recycle) to coerce some company to also take the glass, since we don't have much landfill space here, but I assume the bury it in California somewhere.

Recycling has always pretty much been a scam.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
im dying at a 20 box fan and 20 dollar filter btfo dedicated units
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnIvLBe6xUE

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

smoobles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXGZaNU8Uy8

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Stereotype posted:

Yeah in Hawaii they just burn it. They use the aluminum (which is actually profitable to recycle) to coerce some company to also take the glass, since we don't have much landfill space here, but I assume the bury it in California somewhere.

The excess plastic gets shipped to Malaysia or thereabouts, where it gets dumped in the ocean so that western countries don't show up on the worst polluters lists

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Could this not pass right over my house please? Thank you.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm willing to allow outsiders into the Great Lakes Autonomous Zone for 1M/each

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

actionjackson posted:

why would someone pay to move to a trump state

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

Dewine just signed a liability waiver for business!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

why would someone pay to move to a trump state

my state didn't go to trump :confused:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

idgi

do you have umbrage with my fastest way to draw a 2200km wide circle on a map projection

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Wait until you hear that 'ocean plastic' that people love to brag about recycling is usually 'ocean bound plastic', a technical definition that means as long as there was a reasonable chance it could end up in ocean it is now ocean plastic. So buying products made from 'recovered ocean plastic waste' could mean bottles that were thrown in a bin in a country that sometimes throws bins in the ocean.

Or that most 'algea rubbers' (generally foams) are often grown with foodstock-competing methods and usually a tiny percentage of algea vs traditional petrochemicals and billed as 'bio' when they have worse energy inputs than straight virgin plastics.

This doesn't even get into the fact that collecting recyclable products post-consumer is so hard that a lot of 'circular loop' products need to make 5-10x the sales volume of product for direct recycling or else they can't hit their stated recycled content targets.

Eco friendly consumer goods have some atrocious green washing going on and it's a nightmare to navigate.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

shame on an IGA posted:

idgi

do you have umbrage with my fastest way to draw a 2200km wide circle on a map projection

i'm showing a way to get rid of florida while still leaving cuba intact

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Australian mining billionaire Andrew 'Twiggy' Forrest has come up with a Plan to combat bushfires in Australia.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-high-tech-help

quote:

Philanthropic foundation dreams of extinguishing all bushfires 'within an hour' with high-tech help
Modelling would predict where dangerous blazes could occur across Australia so firefighting planes and helicopters could be deployed in advance

Australian firefighting agencies would have the technology and capability to identify and extinguish every dangerous bushfire within an hour, anywhere on the continent, by the end of 2025, under an audacious plan to be launched in Canberra.

The philanthropic foundation of mining billionaire Andrew Forrest will on Tuesday unveil its so-called Fire Shield plan that hopes to bring governments, science agencies, big business, communities and firefighting authorities together to deliver the goal.

Using rapidly emerging technology including on-ground cameras, low-orbit satellites and data on conditions in flammable areas, the plan is being spruiked as the bushfire equivalent of the Apollo moon missions of the 1960s.

The chief executive of Minderoo Foundation’s $70m fire and flood resilience initiative, Adrian Turner, will launch the blueprint alongside the federal science and technology minister, Karen Andrews.

Minderoo has been working on the plan since January. Turner, a former executive at CSIRO, was asked to take on the role just days after helping his brother save his property from an inferno at Kangaroo Valley in New South Wales.

The National Bushfire Recovery Agency and the Australian Academy of Science are among a list of more than 50 partners for the program which includes national and international corporations.

Last summer’s unprecedented bushfires killed more than 30 people, destroyed more than 3,000 homes and buildings, and caused an ecological disaster in Australia’s forests with an estimated 3 billion animals in the path of the fires.

Turner told Guardian Australia the idea to set an ambitious goal was inspired by the Apollo moon missions and represented the country’s “bushfire moonshot”.

“It’s all about getting to a fire early,” he said. “The rate of spread with high fuel loads is extraordinary, so that’s why you need on the ground active land management.”

He said the foundation had been working with fire authorities and government agencies for months and would have a role as a catalyst in finding, developing and driving new technological approaches.

“We want to increase resilience by reducing risk. The nature of the threat means that trying to solve this incrementally won’t get us to where we want to go. It’s a multi-faceted problem and there’s no silver bullet.”

Automated monitoring cameras, drones, low-orbit satellites, artificial intelligence and machine learning are among the technologies that will be brought together.

Turner said the project had already built a tool that had assessed every local government area for bushfire risks. Other modelling work would be used to predict where dangerous fires could occur and then deploy firefighting planes and helicopters in advance.

“We absolutely recognise and believe the role of climate change in driving more severe and more frequent natural disasters,” the chief executive said. “We do feel the urgency. As a consequence of that we need to focus this program in the first instance on lifting resilience and recognising these events will happen.”

The west coast of the United States is currently ablaze with the most widespread bushfires on record. “Right now, [the United States] is where we were back in January. They are in crisis mode,” Turner said.

“This is a global issue – it’s not just Australia – and we have started discussing how we can convince an organisation like ours in the United States to stand up and help this program.”

Turner said he hoped Minderoo would be able to attract cash and in-kind funding that would build a firefighting war chest of about $500m.

In comments provided by the foundation, Andrews, who will launch the fire mission, said: “This important work has the potential to be a genuine game-changer for Australia. It highlights the power of collaboration and what can be achieved through a bold vision.”

After the launch, Turner will meet the co-ordinator of the National Bushfire Recovery Agency, Andrew Colvin, the Australian Academy of Science chief executive, Anna-Maria Arabia, and Jennifer Westacott, the chief executive of the Business Council of Australia

The chief executive of the Australasian Fire and Emergency Service Authorities Council, Stuart Ellis, who will also be at the meeting, said : “Every fire starts small. We talk about natural disasters, but they only become disasters when we are not resilient enough to manage them.”

“There’s no question that what’s being proposed is very ambitious,” he said. “We want to be able to minimise the number of out-of-control fires. Whether we can totally ‘shield’ Australia is perhaps a moot point, but this is challenging us.”

Ellis said emergency services agencies were generally “a conservative lot” so having a major challenge was “positive” and would be a disruptive force for good.

“This is a series of ambitious projects to escalate us down this track faster. Also, it will exploit technological opportunities in ways that maybe we have not done in the past.”

The federal government, he said, was also pursuing a traditional approach by holding a royal commission that would make recommendations. “This is an alternative approach, but it’s not an either, or.”

Forrest, who will not be at Tuesday’s launch because he is overseas on business, called Turner to ask him to take on the role in January, just days after he joined his brother and others in a six-hour fight to save his property that was surrounded by two fire fronts. The fire had created its own weather, Turner said.

“The place survived but the landscape was lunar. The RFS turned up [the next morning] with nine body bags – they didn’t think we would get through it. Personally I have a lot of conviction to solve this problem. There are thousands of stories just like my story.”

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stereotype posted:

glass seems like u could just crush it into powder and sell it to concrete companies or pour it into a hole cause its inert who cares if you were too lazy to melt it down and actually recycle it

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

there is advantage to things like separating out non-biodegradable landfill from compostable landfill but lol at expecting capitalism to ever do a good

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Real hurthling! posted:

glass seems like u could just crush it into powder and sell it to concrete companies or pour it into a hole cause its inert who cares if you were too lazy to melt it down and actually recycle it

or just make glass bottles standardized and a bit thicker for durability and just wash & reuse them for enough cycles. not everything needs to be new manufacture

however such a system would be impossible for americans to accept and there would be maga riots smashing the illuminati pedo mind control bottles in the street within a week

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

meh chicxulub did it better

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Spime Wrangler posted:

or just make glass bottles standardized and a bit thicker for durability and just wash & reuse them for enough cycles. not everything needs to be new manufacture

however such a system would be impossible for americans to accept and there would be maga riots smashing the illuminati pedo mind control bottles in the street within a week

this used to be the standard, ofc it was more expensive and when food companies shifted to cheaper disposable bottles guess what a bunch of them got together to fund in order to shift the blame to the consumer

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
https://twitter.com/weatherdak/status/1305537953846812673?s=19

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this used to be the standard, ofc it was more expensive and when food companies shifted to cheaper disposable bottles guess what a bunch of them got together to fund in order to shift the blame to the consumer

the actor in this commercial was italian btw lol

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
We have rain in Vancouver! And also thunder and lightning! And dense smoke!

I'm wondering when we're going to get to the "wheels covered in eyes" part of the apocalypse.

scary ghost dog posted:

the actor in this commercial was italian btw lol

iirc there was an episode of The Sopranos that was basically The Gang Gets Really Racist on Columbus Day and this is a fuckin plot point lmao

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Espera Oscar de Corti was truly the perfect spokesman for the scam that recycling has always been

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my mom just reminded me of her sister's plan to retire to the Caribbean and live on a boat I said "wait, that's still happening?"

"they planned it over five years ago, sweetie."

yeah mom, a lot of poo poo got planned five years ago that is stupid to try now.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

my mom just reminded me of her sister's plan to retire to the Caribbean and live on a boat I said "wait, that's still happening?"

"they planned it over five years ago, sweetie."

yeah mom, a lot of poo poo got planned five years ago that is stupid to try now.

it depends on where in the caribbean they're planning to live. south caribbean shouldn't be too bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

actionjackson posted:

i'm showing a way to get rid of florida while still leaving cuba intact

Guatemala and Oaxaca also own and are worth saving so I appreciate it