Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nocheez posted:

I'm pretty sure my wife would divorce me if she caught me playing a game about making dinner instead of actually making the dinner.

There's a Cooking Simulator coming on Steam and I feel a bit guilty about the fact that I'm kinda excited to play it but I am both awful at and hate cooking IRL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
*waking up in a cold sweat because you can't remember if you did your taxes in real life or just as a VR mini-game*

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Seeing this gives me mixed feelings.

On the one hand, it's incredibly annoying to see those actions and realize that at least in its initial release form you'll have to be doing it by shaking a loving gamepad around in the air.

On the other hand, it provides some hope that if there is a proper PC release at some point it might actually be fully implemented with hand tracking instead of being purely gamepad driven.

I'm still not sure why they'd choose to do that even on PSVR though, are Move controllers particularly bad? Do they not have enough inputs? Are there a lot of people who have PSVR headsets but not Move controllers?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

wolrah posted:

I'm still not sure why they'd choose to do that even on PSVR though, are Move controllers particularly bad?

Their tracking is only slightly better than the controller tracking, and they don't have enough buttons on them to play a real game. They're just not very practical outside of pure hand-interaction games like Job Simulator or Tumble VR.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
The more time I spend playing different rhythm games in VR the more and more I realize I just don't like Beat Saber. What a bummer, I should love i! The scoring is so fuzzy it makes leaderboard chasing a non starter for me, and I feel like a lot of the charts are just flailing around which makes it feel really sloppy and hard to read. I wish Audica had like half as many custom mappers as BS. Getting into a good flow in Pistol Whip or Audica is some of the most fun I've had in a long time.

Also Dance Central has a really, really cool UI and presentation. I really want Harmonix to make another, wholly unique game for VR.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Stan Taylor posted:

The more time I spend playing different rhythm games in VR the more and more I realize I just don't like Beat Saber. What a bummer, I should love i! The scoring is so fuzzy it makes leaderboard chasing a non starter for me, and I feel like a lot of the charts are just flailing around which makes it feel really sloppy and hard to read. I wish Audica had like half as many custom mappers as BS. Getting into a good flow in Pistol Whip or Audica is some of the most fun I've had in a long time.

Also Dance Central has a really, really cool UI and presentation. I really want Harmonix to make another, wholly unique game for VR.

I really wish Beat Saber had more people do mapping at difficulties that aren’t extreme/extreme+. The music really needs more variety.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A bit of competition for Blade & Sorcerey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c_lCul7dUA

About Beat Saber: it's my favorite rhythm game from the ones I tried!

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really wish Beat Saber had more people do mapping at difficulties that aren’t extreme/extreme+. The music really needs more variety.

That, and I wish there was a more consistent definition of the difficulties. I've seen "extreme" songs that play anywhere between "OST1 Normal" and "how is it physically possible for a person to react or move their arms that fast!?"

Blocks per second seems to be a better proxy for difficulty most of the time, but gets hosed up easily by songs with long stretches of nothingness followed by colored block diarrhea.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
The new Quest, if it has a better field of view, might just be the perfect headset (Facebook login issues notwithstanding). Is there any word on FOV yet? My Quest is great but the FOV can feel a little claustrophobic. And I don't understand how those pricing rumours can be true given the specs.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I feel like there's no way the FOV is significantly different, it's clearly an iteration headset

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

wolrah posted:

Seeing this gives me mixed feelings.

On the one hand, it's incredibly annoying to see those actions and realize that at least in its initial release form you'll have to be doing it by shaking a loving gamepad around in the air.

On the other hand, it provides some hope that if there is a proper PC release at some point it might actually be fully implemented with hand tracking instead of being purely gamepad driven.

I'm still not sure why they'd choose to do that even on PSVR though, are Move controllers particularly bad? Do they not have enough inputs? Are there a lot of people who have PSVR headsets but not Move controllers?

Yes move controllers suck and the ps4 controller is the same but better

This is fine and good chill out

Turin Turambar posted:

About Beat Saber: it's my favorite rhythm game from the ones I tried!

Looks pretty neato but swordfighting in VR is hard to get right and depends entirely on feel so I don't know how much the trailer can even tell me

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kind of lovely time to be a recent Oculus buyer. And I thought I was so lucky they were back in stock a couple of months ago :sigh:

Still really not sure if it's be as comfortable as the S though. The strap looks sketchy.

wolrah posted:

The Move controllers have no sticks so free movement is usually handled by tilting the direction you want to go in. Some people can handle it but I find it barely functional. Also they are fine for like arcade shooters but usually poo poo the bed when you have to do stuff like open cabinets etc.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 14, 2020

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

As far as I'm concerned it's not really a music game, and I don't think that's what the devs were trying to make in the first place. It's absolutely fine for what it is, but other VR games do music gameplay better.

Unfortunately not that much better; I haven't found one yet that I can recommend without reservation. I need to try Deemo Reborn now that it's on PC? The expo demo I played last year felt great, but I'm not sure how well its weird ideas will translate to a full game.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

NRVNQSR posted:

As far as I'm concerned it's not really a music game, and I don't think that's what the devs were trying to make in the first place. It's absolutely fine for what it is, but other VR games do music gameplay better.

Unfortunately not that much better; I haven't found one yet that I can recommend without reservation. I need to try Deemo Reborn now that it's on PC? The expo demo I played last year felt great, but I'm not sure how well its weird ideas will translate to a full game.

Yes, exactly. The scoring has absolutely nothing to do with timing, it isn't a rhythm game at all, which is why it was such a bummer for me when I finally got to play it. I had a similar reaction to Sayonara Wild Hearts in that its sort of set to music, but not really. That game had way better style and music for me though, so I loved it anyway.

And yeah the customs in Beat Saber are by and large terrible. There are like four that I've found where the song is something I don't mind and the map is actually fun.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

HoboTech posted:

*waking up in a cold sweat because you can't remember if you did your taxes in real life or just as a VR mini-game*

Okay but I got legitimately confused when I couldn't find the battery indicator lights on my knuckles. I knew I'd seen them there a hundred times. But they were gone??

Full AR is gonna gently caress with the human mind so bad.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

i'll wait for reviews. B&S has nothing but sandbox mode and the only way i'm buying another swordgame is if it has a real gamemod

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

Okay but I got legitimately confused when I couldn't find the battery indicator lights on my knuckles. I knew I'd seen them there a hundred times. But they were gone??

I'm not going to lie, this screwed with me too, but it's an ingenious way to add features to something without physically putting it on the controller.

Inacio posted:

i'll wait for reviews. B&S has nothing but sandbox mode and the only way i'm buying another swordgame is if it has a real gamemod

Okay so this post brought a question to my mind: are there any sword and sorcery dungeon crawling games for VR that are worthwhile?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Skyrim? I mean the swordplay sucks but if you want to crawl through dungeons there's like 200 hours of those.

I know what you mean though. I'd love a quality, made for VR dungeon crawler. all of the ones I'm aware of are basically glorified dueling games that are light on exploration and robust mechanics.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Playing Until You Fall lately and it's fun, but it's pretty much going from point A to B with extremely limited variety. And I can't help but think how cool it would be if it were more of a full game with branching paths and more variety. it feels more like a proof of concept more than anything.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Skyrim? I mean the swordplay sucks but if you want to crawl through dungeons there's like 200 hours of those.

I know what you mean though. I'd love a quality, made for VR dungeon crawler. all of the ones I'm aware of are basically glorified dueling games that are light on exploration and robust mechanics.

Yeah you're not wrong, I should probably just bite the bullet and mod SkyrimVR, get it over with.

There's a few games on Steam that look like they fit the category but I'm suspicious of their quality.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

Playing Until You Fall lately and it's fun, but it's pretty much going from point A to B with extremely limited variety. And I can't help but think how cool it would be if it were more of a full game with branching paths and more variety. it feels more like a proof of concept more than anything.

Hard agree.

I feel like that’s a problem that haunts a ton of VR games, the variety and encounter design is usually a bit meh.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Turin Turambar posted:

Wow someone invented NPCs that can use two handed weapons.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Munki posted:

I've done this too :cripes:.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes move controllers suck and the ps4 controller is the same but better

This is fine and good chill out

It's interesting, but what they're talking about is just how much this underlines the flaws with PSVR with what's blatantly a workaround for non-standard VR controllers.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

GutBomb posted:

I fixed it

With the newer version of those Sonys you can take the band apart and mount the earpieces directly to the headset

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I feel like I’m wearing the rift wrong if you guys have your ears that far below the band.... none of my over ear headphones are anywhere close to being able to fit comfortably.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's interesting, but what they're talking about is just how much this underlines the flaws with PSVR with what's blatantly a workaround for non-standard VR controllers.

Its been underlined before, anybody who has a PSVR knows this. Move is ancient PS3 technology that has no business existing in 2020 but Sony apparently had a poo poo ton of unsold Move stock and some exec thought this was a genius answer.

If they don't introduce a new PSVR controller for PS5 then PSVR is dead.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

Its been underlined before, anybody who has a PSVR knows this. Move is ancient PS3 technology that has no business existing in 2020 but Sony apparently had a poo poo ton of unsold Move stock and some exec thought this was a genius answer.

I'm not really too worried on that front, because there's been several patents floating around showing that, even if they don't lead directly to the next generation of Sony VR devices, Sony clearly knows they can't get caught out twice.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Bad Munki posted:

http://hyper-reality.co/ is one of my favorite things.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah, it'll still sell well. Being console VR and appearing cheaper than other forms of VR will ensure a large enough market. The decision to use Move really was a genius business decision, as much as it's terrible from a technical one.

PSVR's made them mad bank, selling at least 5 million units to consumers, and as of two years ago 22 million games, so over a 4x attach rate within the PSVR ecosystem, which is exceptional, and that 5 million units equates to 5% of the PS4 userbase. PS Move, on the other hand, did something like 5 million over its launch during PS3, but that was to retailers - not consumers - expecting Wii levels of success. It did not translate to actual sales.

You guys are coming at this from the perspective of folks with experience with and knowledge of PC VR and its standards. PSVR's only competition is uh, Switch Labo VR, and the (4x more expensive here! PSVR gets you by not including everything you need, which lets them advertise deceptively low prices, which generates more sales!) Oculus Quest.

It is however, very likely they'll have something new and fancy in the pipeline though. Just a question of whether it'll be there on launch, or if they'll hold it back to extend the lifecycle.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Stan Taylor posted:

I feel like I’m wearing the rift wrong if you guys have your ears that far below the band.... none of my over ear headphones are anywhere close to being able to fit comfortably.

Its more likely that i just have a big head :gbsmith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Nah, it'll still sell well. Being console VR and appearing cheaper than other forms of VR will ensure a large enough market. The decision to use Move really was a genius business decision, as much as it's terrible from a technical one.

PSVR's made them mad bank, selling at least 5 million units to consumers, and as of two years ago 22 million games, so over a 4x attach rate within the PSVR ecosystem, which is exceptional, and that 5 million units equates to 5% of the PS4 userbase. PS Move, on the other hand, did something like 5 million over its launch during PS3, but that was to retailers - not consumers - expecting Wii levels of success. It did not translate to actual sales.

You guys are coming at this from the perspective of folks with experience with and knowledge of PC VR and its standards. PSVR's only competition is uh, Switch Labo VR, and the (4x more expensive here! PSVR gets you by not including everything you need, which lets them advertise deceptively low prices, which generates more sales!) Oculus Quest.

It is however, very likely they'll have something new and fancy in the pipeline though. Just a question of whether it'll be there on launch, or if they'll hold it back to extend the lifecycle.

The Oculus Quest, even the current model, doesn't have a fat $500USD+ asterisk next to its pricetag and offers a full VR experience on its own, plus tethering to PC. PSVR rode on being the cheapest entry point into VR because a shitload of people had PS4's and no competition. The next generation has neither in its favour.

PSVR2 at the very least isn't going to be anywhere near launch (pretty sure Sony's said/inferred as much themselves), and it's mainly because of the previous point; That fat $500USD+ asterisk attached to it. Letting it sit for a few months, or a year or two, gives time for PS5's to build a marketplace and make that next $X00 purchase more palatable.

ROFLBOT posted:

Its more likely that i just have a big head :gbsmith:

This is more of a general thing than you specifically, but if you've got a big head, wide IPD and want a higher-definition VR headset, seriously consider the Vive Pro if you can still find one. My IPD's well out in the 72mm range, and even with my large head the side cushions aren't even touched.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Oculus Quest, even the current model, doesn't have a fat $500USD+ asterisk next to its pricetag and offers a full VR experience on its own, plus tethering to PC. PSVR rode on being the cheapest entry point into VR because a shitload of people had PS4's and no competition. The next generation has neither in its favour.

I mean, people are going to buy PS5s with or without VR so the asterisk is not that big for that (incredibly big) market.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lunar detritus posted:

I mean, people are going to buy PS5s with or without VR so the asterisk is not that big for that (incredibly big) market.

Not everyone has disposable income to throw around freely anymore due to COVID-19. Not to mention we have no idea of general availability of the PS5 at launch given the way Sony's being weird with talking about preorders.

And while that's getting sorted, out roles the Quest 2 as its own complete experience for a cheaper price point in the (presumably) near future.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not everyone has disposable income to throw around freely anymore due to COVID-19. Not to mention we have no idea of general availability of the PS5 at launch given the way Sony's being weird with talking about preorders.

And while that's getting sorted, out roles the Quest 2 as its own complete experience for a cheaper price point in the (presumably) near future.

I think you're being too optimistic about VR being enough of a draw to get people to buy the Quest 2 over a console with a proven back catalog of games and the promise of exclusives.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Holy poo poo this for a thousand years!!!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lunar detritus posted:

I think you're being too optimistic about VR being enough of a draw to get people to buy the Quest 2 over a console with a proven back catalog of games and the promise of exclusives.

I'm talking about PSVR2, not the PS5 itself.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

lunar detritus posted:

I have a feeling that Facebook's whole rebranding exercise is partly because they want to move away from the platform being entirely games focused. The Quest 2's significant resolution bump makes it far more useful outside of that, it'll be a fantastic flatscreen media viewer too which widens it's market somewhat.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

8one6 posted:

Holy poo poo this for a thousand years!!!

You just need to get better at the game it's not that hard. :smug:

I totally agree with you

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Oovee posted:

Any word on what kind of wifi quest 2 has?

The XR2 chipset supports WiFi 6, so it will most likely support that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

I have a feeling that Facebook's whole rebranding exercise is partly because they want to move away from the platform being entirely games focused. The Quest 2's significant resolution bump makes it far more useful outside of that, it'll be a fantastic flatscreen media viewer too which widens it's market somewhat.

There's a bit on that in one of the leaked videos talking about streaming Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc, so I'd say you're right there.