Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

bold of them to end the article with a video of a farmer fondling a sapling after all the talk of sexual exploitation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-high-tech-help

quote:

Australian firefighting agencies would have the technology and capability to identify and extinguish every dangerous bushfire within an hour, anywhere on the continent, by the end of 2025, under an audacious plan to be launched in Canberra.
The philanthropic foundation of mining billionaire Andrew Forrest will on Tuesday unveil its so-called Fire Shield plan that hopes to bring governments, science agencies, big business, communities and firefighting authorities together to deliver the goal.
Using rapidly emerging technology including on-ground cameras, low-orbit satellites and data on conditions in flammable areas, the plan is being spruiked as the bushfire equivalent of the Apollo moon missions of the 1960s.

Automated monitoring cameras, drones, low-orbit satellites, artificial intelligence and machine learning are among the technologies that will be brought together.
Turner said the project had already built a tool that had assessed every local government area for bushfire risks. Other modelling work would be used to predict where dangerous fires could occur and then deploy firefighting planes and helicopters in advance.
“We absolutely recognise and believe the role of climate change in driving more severe and more frequent natural disasters,” the chief executive said. “We do feel the urgency. As a consequence of that we need to focus this program in the first instance on lifting resilience and recognising these events will happen.
stop knocking trees down imo

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

shouldn't it be spruiked as the bushfire equivalent of ronald regan's star wars?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
extinguishing bushfires within an hour seems like a really loving bad fuel management strategy for the ones you miss that get started proper imo

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

How is this not the only thing being talked about in this thread?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihoirTYqf2c

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

:munch:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The only thing I can come up with that is 'capable' of extinguishing a bushfire anywhere in Australia within an hour is an ICBM with some sort of fire-extinguishing warhead.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks

The Rabbi T. White posted:

"I gave you money, pointed out how poo poo you are, had sex in your house and left my toys everywhere"

As impactful as he was trying to be that ending was very lame to watch. Got a mention, but not named, on 7 News.

He really had good timing on that release though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The thought of watching 25 minutes of Jordies makes me want to claw my face off.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

I mean thank God we've got Twiggy to tell us maybe we should assess areas for bushfire risk and deploy resources appropriately, since last year every single engine, aircraft, hose and bucket in the country was stationed in the Sydney CBD

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I thought one of the big takeaways from last season was that there is a huge portion of australia where a fire could start and no one would actually know for ages until it's massive.

I'm not super optimistic they will ever get to that goal but I am pretty positive that with the right people (FUND CSIRO YOU STUPID FUCKS I KNOW PLENTY OF PEOPLE THAT DREAM OF WORKING ON A LARGE SCALE SENSOR NETWORK LIKE THIS) working on it I think they could massively improve in this area

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Tokamak posted:

The only thing I can come up with that is 'capable' of extinguishing a bushfire anywhere in Australia within an hour is an ICBM with some sort of fire-extinguishing warhead.

Firefighters will be stationed on a new space station which will be able to deploy them in red droppods to any fire in under an hour.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

abigserve posted:

I thought one of the big takeaways from last season was that there is a huge portion of australia where a fire could start and no one would actually know for ages until it's massive.

I'm not super optimistic they will ever get to that goal but I am pretty positive that with the right people (FUND CSIRO YOU STUPID FUCKS I KNOW PLENTY OF PEOPLE THAT DREAM OF WORKING ON A LARGE SCALE SENSOR NETWORK LIKE THIS) working on it I think they could massively improve in this area
lol

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-06/national-parks-underfunded-former-ranger-warns/11282562

Most of the effected national parks in NSW haven't rebuilt the bridges/embankments (etc) destroyed in the last fires. It's a clown poo poo show from arsehole to breakfast.

KA was one of three people from the Northern Territory's Ntaria community, also known as Hermannsburg, killed when a car rolled on Larapinta Drive on 22 December 2012. Her husband KO also died; they were well-known childhood sweethearts. The coroner did not consider them to be deaths in custody because police only made a brief attempt to stop the car before falling back, and had lost sight of the car when it crashed. The driver pleaded guilty to three counts of dangerous driving causing death. A woman who survived the crash said they were pleading with the driver to slow down or stop.

ISSUES RAISED
Injured in custody.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Machine learning and artificial intelligence are all very well and good but what I'm really excited about is if they can get bushfires on the block chain

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

abigserve posted:

I'd take a job working on the anti-bushfire rocket.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

bandaid.friend posted:

Machine learning and artificial intelligence are all very well and good but what I'm really excited about is if they can get bushfires on the block chain

I am so down to see what an AI comes up with. Hmm if I have a drone, the most efficient search pattern for finding a fire is to nosedive straight into dry grass.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

quote:

Australians on JobSeeker would still be able to receive the unemployment benefit while also earning money harvesting crops and working on farms, under a bold recommendation by a Government-dominated parliamentary inquiry.

An interim report by the inquiry into the Working Holiday Maker (WHM) Program has also recommended that HECS and HELP fees for university courses be discounted for students who work in regional areas and that a one-off government payment be established to cover travel and accommodation costs for workers that move to regional and remote areas.

The inquiry recommended that for the next year "workers stay on JobSeeker payments while undertaking low-paid agricultural and horticultural work", but did not specify how much money Centrelink recipients could earn, or the tasks they could be employed to do.

One of the other recommendations from the inquiry was a one-off Government payment to help workers meet travel and accommodation costs "after a certain period of time working in regional, rural, remote areas".
This follows a proposal by industry group the Australian Fresh Produce Alliance that a $1,200 relocation support payment for workers, and a $1,200 induction support payment for businesses, be paid retrospectively after three months of work is completed.
What if we trap more people on farms, in bikinis

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Government to offer conditional working migration to Australia for Pacific Islanders losing their homes to sea level rise

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

As I've said before the offer of HECS discount would be a huge incentive if I was finishing Year 12 or finishing uni - in fact it would be a huge incentive to me now if I'd lost my job from COVID - but they really need to be prepared to put a figure on it. Kids aren't going to uproot themselves for a manual labour job for whatever paltry 10% off bullshit they end up offering.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Get the National Party to pick fruit, they haven't done anything useful in Rural Australia for a long time.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

freebooter posted:

As I've said before the offer of HECS discount would be a huge incentive if I was finishing Year 12 or finishing uni - in fact it would be a huge incentive to me now if I'd lost my job from COVID - but they really need to be prepared to put a figure on it. Kids aren't going to uproot themselves for a manual labour job for whatever paltry 10% off bullshit they end up offering.

Pretty much this. I remember hearing about programs where school teachers get part of their tuition paid for (or discounted at the end or whatever) if they took jobs in remote communities... what’s more is that there’s a internal list for promotion, and relocation. Anyone who completed that program is also bumped up on that list. So go do your time in the bush, and out of it you’ll have less hecs debt, and you’ll have an easier time changing schools to an area you might like.

I don’t know if that program still exists.... but it’s a brilliant idea.

Edit: I fully expect that scomo will end up with a dumb idea like “force those HECS dodgers overseas to come back and pick fruit!”

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Whilst jordies ranges between ok, and cringe videos... this video was defiantly on the cringe part during that whole delivery of “I’m inside your house”

That and honestly the accents... it’s undermining his point.. how the gently caress do I show this to my Italian immigrant parent. He grew up with people making fun of his accent.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Into The Mild posted:

Edit: I fully expect that scomo will end up with a dumb idea like “force those HECS dodgers overseas to come back and pick fruit!”

Double the HECS debt of anyone who doesn't go pick fruit.
Bingo Bango, deficit fixed, farmers helped, not one rich person has to pay anything!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

norp posted:

Double the HECS debt of anyone who doesn't go pick fruit.
Bingo Bango, deficit fixed, farmers helped, not one rich person has to pay anything!

Wow, jobs AND growth!

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

Wow, jobs AND growth!

Nah that’s mythical... just like having a sex life after kids.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Do people care about their HECS debts? Mine will disappear eventually without much inconvenience, and before I had a job over the threshold it was the least of my concerns. The only reason I'd consider paying early is if the libs start meddling with it.

Though I haven't compared it to current uni fees, maybe I'm out of touch there.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/BW/status/1305832316841979906

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Ablo on News Breakfast can't even commit to a plan for zero net emissions by 2050

We're all gonna burn

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Nationalise farms and forcibly send anyone with <30 ENTER or whatever it is now.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

Into The Mild posted:

Pretty much this. I remember hearing about programs where school teachers get part of their tuition paid for (or discounted at the end or whatever) if they took jobs in remote communities... what’s more is that there’s a internal list for promotion, and relocation. Anyone who completed that program is also bumped up on that list. So go do your time in the bush, and out of it you’ll have less hecs debt, and you’ll have an easier time changing schools to an area you might like.

I don’t know if that program still exists.... but it’s a brilliant idea.

Teach For Australia. Uni Grads can get an accelerated masters of teaching for half the price while earning a wage learning on the job.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

JBP posted:

Nationalise farms and forcibly send anyone with <30 years of age or whatever it is now.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

JBP posted:

Nationalise farms and forcibly send anyone with >30 ENTER or whatever it is now.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
If they start having local's doing the work, expect more reports of harassment/no pay/horrible stories.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Keen to die for Bush's oil profits Scomo's Veggie Profits

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

It'll be fun if they actually gently caress this badly enough to the point that we see fresh produce shortages. If you thought people were going apeshit panic buying toilet paper, just wait until there's only one bushel of tomatoes left!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Just pump terrifying amounts of money into the CSIRO and manufacturing with a view to automate 50% of farm output and make that one of many nation building projects to ride out roni with public spending and create a heap of jobs. Like if we had a halfway efficient manufacturing sector for that kind of difficult task it would be very good for us near and long term.

It would be literally free in the end as well since credit costs next to nothing.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Ffs stop caving into the LNP viral marketing of 'scomo'. Scummo perhaps? Or that worthless fat gently caress that should have stayed in Hawaii and maybe thrown himself into a volcano. Shito?

Ms Mandijarra lay dead on the floor of a crowded watch house cell for up to four hours before it was noticed she was dead. She had been arrested by police in Broome at 6pm on 29 November 2012 because she was drinking with a group of women on Male Oval. She was not closely checked from the time she entered the cell. Her death prompted the Western Australian coroner to recommend abolishing the practice of arresting or detaining someone for street drinking. She also recommended that intoxicated persons be given a mandatory health assessment when arrested.

ISSUES RAISED
Medical care required but not all given, procedures not all followed.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

What's wrong with saying scomo derisively? You think people on something awful are going to read that and vote lnp? It's better than polboomer jokes like scummo.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Cartoon posted:

Ffs stop caving into the LNP viral marketing of 'scomo'. Scummo perhaps? Or that worthless fat gently caress that should have stayed in Hawaii and maybe thrown himself into a volcano. Shito?

Ms Mandijarra lay dead on the floor of a crowded watch house cell for up to four hours before it was noticed she was dead. She had been arrested by police in Broome at 6pm on 29 November 2012 because she was drinking with a group of women on Male Oval. She was not closely checked from the time she entered the cell. Her death prompted the Western Australian coroner to recommend abolishing the practice of arresting or detaining someone for street drinking. She also recommended that intoxicated persons be given a mandatory health assessment when arrested.

ISSUES RAISED
Medical care required but not all given, procedures not all followed.

Oh no. Oh no. Saying ScoMo instead of SCUMMO in this online internet political chat forum with its almost closed community is going to brain poison people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Gridlocked posted:

Oh no. Oh no. Saying ScoMo instead of SCUMMO in this online internet political chat forum with its almost closed community is going to brain poison people.

I know I've been convinced