Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It tends to be one of his more controversial movies due to Kurosawa's efforts to minimize Japan's role in WWII.

The controversy is people defending the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki because Japan deserved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

If I only have time to watch one Tarkovsky movie before it gets pulled tonight, do I go with The Mirror or Nostalgia?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Kart Barfunkel posted:

If I only have time to watch one Tarkovsky movie before it gets pulled tonight, do I go with The Mirror or Nostalgia?

The Mirror absolutely

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Years ago I watched Color Me Blood Red with some friends. Last night we decided to watch a movie so I took a look at the list of what's leaving and saw that it was on there, along with five other movies by the same director. We settled on The Gruesome Twosome, so I guess I should ask if any of the others are worth watching. Or if any of the other movies that are leaving this month shouldn't be missed. We watched A Fistful of Dollars last year, no worries there.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Chakan posted:

Or if any of the other movies that are leaving this month shouldn't be missed. We watched A Fistful of Dollars last year, no worries there.

I liked Van Gogh. Definitely not your typical biopic. If you're tired of seeing films that lionize their subject then it will be a breath of fresh air. Mad Max is an old favorite but seems to come across as dated to new viewers who've been inundated with action films.

Hollywood Shuffle and The Year of Living Dangerously are two I want to see.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Magnificent Ambersons, Gun Crazy, and Barbarella are worth checking out also.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Fist of Fury was real loving good yall. So impressed with the ideological consistency and coherence of Lee's work.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Best/must watch Albert Brooks films?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Best/must watch Albert Brooks films?

All of them! As far as order though, I'd go: Lost in America, Defending Your Life, Modern Romance, Real Life, then for his later period, Mother, The Muse, The Scout (Didn't direct, just wrote/starred), then Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i'll assume that guy is making you go from worst to best. real life is one of the best movies ever made. bye

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

codyclarke posted:

All of them! As far as order though, I'd go: Lost in America, Defending Your Life, Modern Romance, Real Life, then for his later period, Mother, The Muse, The Scout (Didn't direct, just wrote/starred), then Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World.

I would put Real Life above Defending Your Life, but otherwise I agree.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
December titles

!!!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Origami Dali posted:

December titles

!!!

nice, that’s one I’ve been meaning to watch for a long time

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

gey muckle mowser posted:

nice, that’s one I’ve been meaning to watch for a long time

Same.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It's kinda funny that the other Crash has supplanted this one in cultural memory.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Cronenberg's Crash is a movie that makes me feel more uncomfortable than a lot of his more explicitly weird or graphic films, and yet the scene where James Spader makes out with Elias Koteas is kinda, well, I dunno... :blush:

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Has there been any talk of CC making a ps4 (or ps5 I guess) app? Or do they have some microsoft exclusivity thing? I've been reluctant to sign up because I don't want to buy a new streaming device just for CC.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Apparently Sony does some incredibly prohibitive gatekeeping that keeps some companies out of their ecosystem, so I doubt it. That's why Shudder isn't on there.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Well that's annoying

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Origami Dali posted:

Apparently Sony does some incredibly prohibitive gatekeeping that keeps some companies out of their ecosystem, so I doubt it. That's why Shudder isn't on there.

Yeah, it sucks big time. The Hulu app is gone and never coming back; no plans for Shudder, Criterion Channel, or Disney+; and the Netflix and Prime Video apps are just barely kept running. I'm probably gonna get an AppleTV at some point in the future since it seems Apple has its poo poo together.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Origami Dali posted:

And yet HBOMax is there but not on Roku.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

VoodooXT posted:

Yeah, it sucks big time. The Hulu app is gone and never coming back; no plans for Shudder, Criterion Channel, or Disney+; and the Netflix and Prime Video apps are just barely kept running. I'm probably gonna get an AppleTV at some point in the future since it seems Apple has its poo poo together.

What? Hulu and Disney+ are both on PS4

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Colonel Whitey posted:

What? Hulu and Disney+ are both on PS4

I was referring to their standard set top players.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Ah poo poo, Arrow is releasing Crash too. Mostly different extras, including different commentaries. https://arrowfilms.com/product-detail/crash-limited-edition-blu-ray/FCD2073

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Hell yeah

https://twitter.com/criterionchannl/status/1314246922421571584

Unmature
May 9, 2008
What are the can’t miss 70s horror movies on the criterion channel this month?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Unmature posted:

What are the can’t miss 70s horror movies on the criterion channel this month?

Texas Chainsaw Massacre is there, Cronenberg’s movies are all good, Hills Have Eyes, and I rather liked Season of the Witch but it’s as much a suburban melodrama as a horror film.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Don’t Look Now is great, although it’s more thriller/drama until the last act.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Theater of Blood. Price figuratively (and literally) slays.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I did a quick look and also-

The Wicker Man
Ganja and Hess
The Crazies
Don’t Look Now
Let’s Scare Jessica to Death
Sisters
The Witch Who Came From the Sea
It’s Alive
Black Christmas

And while I wasn’t a huge fan of Driller Killer, it kinda depends on just how much you’re into deeply realistic depictions of the scuzzy late 70s NYC punk scene.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Oh and Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

It’s kind of a ridiculous collection.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Hell yeah I’m gonna make my fiancée watch all of these

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Do not miss Invasion Of The Body Snatchers.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Daughters of darkness
Wicker man
Ganja & Hess
Driller Killer

The whole collection stacked you probably cant lose tbh

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah there's a ton of good stuff there.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
Got a $10 off Coupon from Criterion Channel today. Check those emails.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Don’t Look Now is great, although it’s more thriller/drama until the last act.

Gonna second Don't Look Now, I just watched it the other day for the first time. I'm not a big fan of Roeg but this one slaps. Empty, cold, foggy Venice is creepy as hell.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Amazon Prime Day has some decent deals on Criterion in their buy-2-get-1 sale.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/promotion/A2A2NKR8NB2YIQ

Filter by blu-ray and search for Criterion. It looks like there's some Arrow releases in there as well. Prices are about $25-27, which is a bit cheaper than Barnes and Nobel sales, but with less selection.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wait aren’t B&N sales usually half off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Wait aren’t B&N sales usually half off?

Yeah but you don’t get one free