Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
A-train has no incentive to protect Starlight now that he's off the 7, but his leverage is pointless because Homerlander knows she's not on their side, so in the end it doesn't matter.

Also I've had We Didn't Start the Fire stuck in my head since Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The next three days will be Bioshuffle free.

Take this time to chill out, please. Their original posts about Stormfront were very dumb, and clearly struck the wrong chord with many users in this thread. Whether that was intentional on Bioshuffle's side or not doesn't really matter at this point. If they're a troll, they're doing a very good job because y'all are pressed like paninis.

You've had plenty of time to let it be very known that you think this poster is racist. But their posts after the initial few (and initial probe) have mostly been discussion about the show. I do not appreciate getting every single post this person makes reported just because they dared to stay in the thread after making a fool of themself in the first place. I initially let this slide due to the very sensitive nature of the take Bioshuffle had about the racist character in the show, hoping once it was out of everyone's system it could go back to just show discussion. Going forward, please put Bioshuffle on ignore, or only report them if they are outright saying hosed up, bigoted poo poo or dropping any more uses of offensive insults like sperglord.

Please make sure you're using this thread to discuss the show rather than the posters within it. I'm keeping it bookmarked and will be keeping an eye on Bioshuffle once their probe is up. It's very difficult for me to tell if this poster truly deserves to be booted from the thread when a majority of the posts are just people dumping on the dude for being bad at watching a television show. Threadbans for poo poo stirring are a thing I am very open to, but it's difficult to make that decision when everyone is stirring poo poo all at the same time.

If in three days Bioshuffle returns and begins stirring poo poo of their own accord-- rather than becoming aggro in defense due to everyone dragging them-- then I will gladly come up with a more permanent solution. If that is a grave Bioshuffle is going to dig, let them dig it on their own.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

twistedmentat posted:

A-train has no incentive to protect Starlight now that he's off the 7, but his leverage is pointless because Homerlander knows she's not on their side, so in the end it doesn't matter.

I'm guessing he wont actually be off the Seven since right after he was fired Homelander went off and used him as an example of the diversity of heroes. I suspect one of the upcoming episodes will have Homelander telling him he needs to stay on for publicity's sake.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
If they’d just released all the episodes at once this wouldn’t even be an issue because we’d have nothing to discuss!

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

alexandriao posted:

I forgot to link the image

black noir scribbles like a child :allears:

it's on butchers' paper

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Mameluke posted:

it's on butchers' paper

Black Noir is the best character.

He better not let me down.

If he lets me down, I don't know what I'll do.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mameluke posted:

it's on butchers' paper

Oh my loving god it is... :lol:

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Mameluke posted:

it's on butchers' paper

amazing, great catch!

esperterra posted:

Take this time to chill out, please.

That should get us to the next episode if Amazon keeps dropping them early. Hopefully we'll have a lot more incidental details to notice by the time they're unbanned

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Amazon trivia thing says that was actually Erin Moriarty singing!

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

esperterra posted:

The next three days will be Bioshuffle free.

Take this time to chill out, please.

Will do. All good.

Mameluke posted:

it's on butchers' paper

Jesus - good catch. Brilliant. I love this show. Except I’m singing Billy Joel to myself and I wouldn’t sing his music before this. I want to go on a road trip with MM

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Hughmoris posted:

Yes. He is untethered and his rage knows no bounds!

Actually, he’s a golden god, a total five star man.

Beef Stew
Dec 27, 2009
Hahahaha holy gently caress Homelander really is just Dennis with super powers, complete with literal narcissistic auto fellatio. That's both hillarious and terrifying.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
That's why everyone does whatever he says.

Because of the implication.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Beef Stew posted:

Hahahaha holy gently caress Homelander really is just Dennis with super powers, complete with literal narcissistic auto fellatio. That's both hillarious and terrifying.

I dont get this reference. Who is Dennis?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

piL posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t61VUYK0DWU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

piL posted:

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is a dark comedy following a group of friends who are terrible people. Dennis is the group's narcissistic leader.

FILEFOOTAGE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yUafzOXHPE

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

piL posted:

guy with no facial hair who isn't danny devito from its always sunny. anyway you know what bugs me? starlights' star decals could use some extra adhesive

if the costume department don't get some extra gorilla glue on them taupe chunky heel thigh high boots i swear to God

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

piL posted:

Dennis is a bastard man!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Beef Stew posted:

Stawp Sto'mfrent.

Dis gaaim has gawn awn lung enuf.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

moist turtleneck posted:

Black noir will hide in a corner and mimic the sound of a carbon monoxide detector with a school recorder so that Vought doesn't get dinged by the building inspector

The deep will continue to be illiterate and get sent to a shittier city because he thinks the bad guy is behind a door marked pirate when it actually says private

Homelander refuses to leave floor 99 after a botched chemical peel

"For the last loving time Maeve, nothing will go wrong this time, we WILL get everyone off this Cruise Ship!"

"The Seven sink a Cruise Ship"

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

w0o0o0o posted:

Wondering whether Homelander saved Stilwell's baby for some scheme or weird power thing down the line? Becoming her authoritative figure or parent to one-up Stilwell/reverse their dynamic one last time or something. I guess it's also possible the writers just didn't want Butcher to become a baby killer and keep him somewhat redeemable.

Also surprised that Homelander didn't persist with his own son so readily after seeing clear proof that he's got powers too. I did like how Vaught's response to Becca was "he'll get bored eventually" and it seems to be true, kinda showing that the corporate knows him far better than he's likely willing to admit.

It's like a Clark Kent backstory but done in the most corporate-sociopathic way possible. Wouldn't be surprised if they're planning to have some kind of 'defining moment' for him like Becca being Uncle Ben'd.

I figure it's because Homelander thinks it will play better - tt's much more tragic for the baby to survive, growing up without a mother etc etc

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Pikehead posted:

I figure it's because Homelander thinks it will play better - tt's much more tragic for the baby to survive, growing up without a mother etc etc

There was a scene in the original (and terrible) "Wanted" comic where Mr. Rictus (the closest thing to The Joker in that universe) killed a random kid's parents and when his other mooks were about to kill the kid as well he stopped them and said something to the effect of "who knows, maybe he'll grow up to be an interesting distraction in 20 years."

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hey guys what if Black Noir is Butcher somehow

Have they been in the same room together? I can't remember any particular moments, but this would be a hilarious (albeit stupid) plot twist to me

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Accretionist posted:

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is a dark comedy following a group of friends who are terrible people. Dennis is the group's narcissistic leader.

FILEFOOTAGE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yUafzOXHPE

I had missed the quote and the comtext with it.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Tired: Stormfront isn't racist

Wired: Liberty isn't racist

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There was a scene in the original (and terrible) "Wanted" comic where Mr. Rictus (the closest thing to The Joker in that universe) killed a random kid's parents and when his other mooks were about to kill the kid as well he stopped them and said something to the effect of "who knows, maybe he'll grow up to be an interesting distraction in 20 years."

Everything in Wanted (comic) is an edgy reskin of DC. Rictus literally is the Joker and the whole scene is a play on Batman's origin. But it's got no relevance to Homelander.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Everything in Wanted (comic) is an edgy reskin of DC. Rictus literally is the Joker and the whole scene is a play on Batman's origin. But it's got no relevance to Homelander.

Haven’t read that since I was an edgy teen posting on a young Something Awful. I liked it although it was a bit much. Wonder how it’s aged?

Rewatching season 1 and Starr was always brilliant. Maeve got to do more but MM was great from the go. I truly think if Homelander was smarter he would be less scary. His middle management/beta male/average reddit user personality just makes him more terrifying somehow. Not sure why his character is so unsettling but fascinating to watch. It was nice getting a refresher on how bad the Deep was. The Deep deserves Vought branded Scientology.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Also I've had We Didn't Start the Fire stuck in my head since Friday.

On the other hand, all the things that tie A-train to Vought and the 7 are being stripped away.

He might decide to do something desperate to get back in, on the other hand I wouldn't consider it an unreasonable twist if he decides he wants in with the good guys.

e: ^^ nah Homelander is exactly as clever as he needs to be, which is more than you think. Rick Burlow has his villain give a brilliant line in Order of the Stick: "Never confuse not knowing with not caring". Homelander investigates and solves more puzzles in S1 than any of the other characters. Part of the reason he's so effective as a scary character is that he acts like he doesn't know about things because he doesn't care, right up until the point where he decides to start caring. The other characters never know how much he knows or what he really cares about, which is why they're constantly on edge around him.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 15, 2020

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

DogsInSpace! posted:

The Deep deserves Vought branded Scientology.

I'm not so sure the church of the collective are affiliated with vought. My take is that they are a cult which, like Scientology realizes that their reach is extended if they can list the rich and powerful among their members, in this case supes.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
^^^^ Yeah, the cult NOT being affiliated with Vought is a big part of the Deep's plot this season, they are trying to get into the Vought action through him.

DogsInSpace! posted:

His middle management/beta male/average reddit user personality just makes him more terrifying somehow.
It's terrifying cause Homelander has exactly that corporate middle manager persona - in a show like The Office, Parks & Rec or other bureocratic comedies he would be the rear end in a top hat boss who thinks he's God's gift to the Sales department - while having the literal powers of Superman. It's scary cause everyone who's ever worked in an office environement knows someone who thinks they are in Homelander's shoes.

Mr. Nemo posted:

Question for the people that read the comics, please spoiler the answer, not everyone may want to know the answer

So, compound V being real is big news, which means that there is no real reason Vought should've been the only company trying to poach heroes to work for them. In the comics, is there a discount superhero corporation with off brand The Seven or something similar? Obviously Vought wouldn't let them have any of the good ones, but to give the appearance of "free competition" it would be good for them to have a few of those around.
To add to what other people have said, there is a subplot at the start of the comic about a somewhat large number of Supes (most of them "bad guys") that are pissed at Vought and want to break off. Turns out that Compound V is very difficult to make and subpar V is quite lethal. Unfortunately I've removed most of the plot for that cause everything is overshadowed by a fun character that I hope will someday show up (but I doubt about it) and by the fact that the plot resolution involves around a tiny woman and a giant exploding vibrator :argh: Ennis :argh:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 15, 2020

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
linking this one because slight grinding on a super hero

https://imgur.com/a/tdNz5se

i love how this happened in the same ep where he said he made becca cum three times

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Martman posted:

Hey guys what if Black Noir is Butcher somehow

Have they been in the same room together? I can't remember any particular moments, but this would be a hilarious (albeit stupid) plot twist to me

I think they actually were in the same room together at the Vought Christmas party?

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Alchenar posted:

e: ^^ nah Homelander is exactly as clever as he needs to be, which is more than you think. Rick Burlow has his villain give a brilliant line in Order of the Stick: "Never confuse not knowing with not caring". Homelander investigates and solves more puzzles in S1 than any of the other characters. Part of the reason he's so effective as a scary character is that he acts like he doesn't know about things because he doesn't care, right up until the point where he decides to start caring. The other characters never know how much he knows or what he really cares about, which is why they're constantly on edge around him.

Good bloody point

massive spider posted:

I'm not so sure the church of the collective are affiliated with vought. My take is that they are a cult which, like Scientology realizes that their reach is extended if they can list the rich and powerful among their members, in this case supes.

That Italian Guy posted:

^^^^ Yeah, the cult NOT being affiliated with Vought is a big part of the Deep's plot this season, they are trying to get into the Vought action through him.

It's terrifying cause Homelander has exactly that corporate middle manager persona - in a show like The Office, Parks & Rec or other bureocratic comedies he would be the rear end in a top hat boss who thinks he's God's gift to the Sales department - while having the literal powers of Superman. It's scary cause everyone who's ever worked in an office environement knows someone who thinks they are in Homelander's shoes.

Ack... yeah I already forgot that was a big reason for them backing Deep. Bad dog in space! Wonder if Deep’s going to jump on couches on Vought Oprah?

Homelander is such an excellent bad guy. I pray that comic moment with Maeve doesn’t happen but I really worry that HL will take out so many people before he goes down. Hoping Hughie and his pals get a happy ending. I’m counting Starlight in this list. Hoping Starr and Urban get all the roles after this. I want a Dredd sequel.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 15, 2020

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Avasculous posted:

It is making things feel a little rushed, like how Butcher went from desperately scrawling out the height of trees and angle of the sun in Becca's neighborhood to being handed her address in 2 episodes.

Given how bloated a lot of the streaming service 12 episode shows are though, I don't mind.

I did like the scene where he gets the address. It was well done and a big lol that the CIA is less transactional and had more a conscience than Butcher.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

DogsInSpace! posted:

Ack... yeah I already forgot that was a big reason for them backing Deep. Bad dog in space! Wonder if Deep’s going to jump on couches on Vought Oprah?

Only if he's so drunk he falls off the couch and somehow manages to take out a tank full of rare, nearly-extinct tropical fish brought on by the previous guest.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Through the power of Cult I can put two betafish in the same tank!

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

unlimited shrimp posted:

My first thought was Emmett Till but modeling the CGI or makeup or whatever after that photo would be ghoulish.

I thought the same. If you've never seen the open casket photos, don't look. Just know, it's very similar.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

DogsInSpace! posted:

I want a Dredd sequel.

Netflix has been toying with a Megacity One series for a while now.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

DogsInSpace! posted:

Good bloody point

Homelander is such an excellent bad guy. I pray that comic moment with Maeve doesn’t happen but I really worry that HL will take out so many people before he goes down. Hoping Hughie and his pals get a happy ending. I’m counting Starlight in this list. Hoping Starr and Urban get all the roles after this. I want a Dredd sequel.

My dad is the biggest softie and all he asks when the new EPs come out before he can watch them is that Starlight and Hughie are ok :ohdear:

I need them to be so they don't break my dad's heart damnit (and mine too tbh)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Thundercracker posted:

I did like the scene where he gets the address. It was well done and a big lol that the CIA is less transactional and had more a conscience than Butcher.

Agreed, after Butcher's, "We had a deal, I didn't come through," Mallory essentially saying, "Jesus Christ, Butcher, just take the address, I'm not a monster, and I'm sorry about what happened," was great. Added a lot of depth and color to her character.