Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

Link is 404

Beg pardon, should be fixed now thank you

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Good morning UK Goons, for anyone wondering how and why the lockdowns have been such an effective 'recruiting' tool for the far-right, here is a nice long piece that puts it all in to context. It seems to have been well received so I hope you find some value in there. Conservatives have used the 'Conspiracy Narrative' in the fight against collectivism since at least the end of WW1, Trump's election tore the mask off, and now here we are:

The Greatest Trick the Devil Ever Pulled

Offering a competing narrative is going to be an important part of the journey out of this mess and this may have a chance of reaching some people, who knows, good luck.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Sep 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

PowerBeard posted:

Recently Sinn Féin saw a massive increase in support in the General Election, from both the disenfranchised young and the old bitter people. Plus I'm sure I'm not doing a libel when I say that some prominent members of Sinn Féin had connections to the IRA and it was just. Gerry Adams. Plus, there has been a surge in gangland murders in the Republic, so that may show a willingness for young people to start poo poo for fun.

Don't do this. Sinn Fein gaining in Ireland doesn't show a willingness for a return to violence, loving hell.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

serious gaylord posted:

Nearly 700,000 people lost their jobs in May and August.

Christ alive.

love to be included in these stats for once

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

holy poo poo lol

https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1305766286627045376?s=20

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Well that's certainly one way to take control of our borders

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Put a hard border around all English ports, boom, GFA remains intact. I've solved it lads.

I wasn't actually serious! :psyduck:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Beg pardon, should be fixed now thank you
Not one mention of Bill Cooper. Truly The Greatest Trick.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I was a beater on a shoot once. It was miserable, I was constantly worried about getting shot and it was depressing seeing so many ducks and pheasants getting killed.

I thought it was something I should do as I eat meat and think you should be willing to participate in the killing if you're going to eat it, and at least all those birds were free range rather than being packed into a factory. I don't eat too much meat nowadays but try to be considerate as to where it has come from.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

kingturnip posted:

Well that's certainly one way to take control of our borders

Everything on the south coast between Southampton, Portsmouth and Winchester is hosed in that scenario. Joy

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Can't they just have an underbarrel grenade launcher to get the birds out of the thicket, or is that 'not sporting'?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/jessphillips/status/1305580579921027072

:mmmsmug:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Turbofucking the traffic in your core constituencies to own the libs

Fining your voters to own the libs

Sealing off Kent to own the libs

Turbofucking your own Brexit deal to own the libs

Is there anything - other than use condoms or apologise - that Boris won't do to own the libs?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
An hour's solid work?

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Total Meatlove posted:

Everything on the south coast between Southampton, Portsmouth and Winchester is hosed in that scenario. Joy

You're just not seeing the genius of it. Erect hard borders a county inland then do nothing on climate change and wait for them to become the new coastline.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

kingturnip posted:

Turbofucking the traffic in your core constituencies to own the libs

Fining your voters to own the libs

Sealing off Kent to own the libs

Turbofucking your own Brexit deal to own the libs

Is there anything - other than use condoms or apologise - that Boris won't do to own the libs?

trick the fubpees into supporting brexit, then run on brejoin in the next election to own the libs

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Julio Cruz posted:

a friend of mine works in IT for a multinational bank and they have contractors there who "live" in Spain during the weekends and in a Travelodge during the week

When I got a job a few years back part of the deal was they would put me up in some accommodation for I think a month until I found somewhere to live. It turned out the accommodation was in a Travelodge on a dual carriageway with nothing else there except a BP garage, which did at least have a M&S in it.

A Bad Experience. The Alan Partridge Travel Tavern experience genuinely nearly broke me.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Isomermaid posted:

You're just not seeing the genius of it. Erect hard borders a county inland then do nothing on climate change and wait for them to become the new coastline.

I don’t know whether anyone would go to Guildford as a new beach resort.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

knox_harrington posted:

When I got a job a few years back part of the deal was they would put me up in some accommodation for I think a month until I found somewhere to live. It turned out the accommodation was in a Travelodge on a dual carriageway with nothing else there except a BP garage, which did at least have a M&S in it.

A Bad Experience. The Alan Partridge Travel Tavern experience genuinely nearly broke me.

A BP garage with a M&S in it sounds like Alan Partridge's idea of heaven though

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

happyhippy posted:

2. Yes. The Good Friday Agreement signed to have peace in NI has a provision in it that the NI/Republic border has no border check points. A 'hard' border. These were manned by the British army and acted as both customs and terrorism related searches.

I hate to be the pedant here but this seems to come up a lot but the GFA does not mention anything about customs controls mainly because by the time it was signed all customs controls had already been abolished, the agreement mentions the removal of "security installations" still in place which was very much understood to mean the remaining British military posts dotted around the border (which where eventually all decommissioned).

The GFA doesn't bother talking about customs controls or free movement of goods because that was sorted out with the whole single market thing so there was no point including it in the discussions as it was a moot point.

Though customs controls don't necessarily violate the text of the agreement the argument is that they violate the spirit by pulling back current freedoms to a pre agreement era thus undermining the foundations upon which the agreement was made.

(As a side note there have been border checks put in place temporarily post-GFA as I'm sure anyone near the border remembers back during the Foot and Mouth outbreak when the Guards would stop you and search your boot to make sure you weren't carrying anything that could spread it)

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Good morning UK Goons, for anyone wondering how and why the lockdowns have been such an effective 'recruiting' tool for the far-right, here is a nice long piece that puts it all in to context. It seems to have been well received so I hope you find some value in there. Conservatives have used the 'Conspiracy Narrative' in the fight against collectivism since at least the end of WW1, Trump's election tore the mask off, and now here we are:

The Greatest Trick the Devil Ever Pulled

Offering a competing narrative is going to be an important part of the journey out of this mess and this may have a chance of reaching some people, who knows, good luck.

Don't poo poo this thread up just because you got thrown out of the qanon one

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So "Perfidious Albion" is trending on Irish Twitter.
Well done Irish lads and lassies for using a 700 poetic phrase.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Isomermaid posted:

Erect hard borders
Strong, stable borders. A big, veiny pulsing border. Borders spaffing up the Irish sea.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kustomkarkommando posted:

I hate to be the pedant here but this seems to come up a lot but the GFA does not mention anything about customs controls mainly because by the time it was signed all customs controls had already been abolished, the agreement mentions the removal of "security installations" still in place which was very much understood to mean the remaining British military posts dotted around the border (which where eventually all decommissioned).

I'm wondering exactly what you consider customs posts at a foreign border to be, if not security installations.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://mobile.twitter.com/BenKentish/status/1305498910249676801

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

lol the French will take over Kent, it's 1066 part II: Return of the Normans.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

https://twitter.com/BarumDean/status/1305779041463664641?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Surely if they can't get people through customs quickly people will just stop selling poo poo to the UK, like what's the point tying up your trucks and drivers in a car park for days when you could be using them to shift more goods elsewhere?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

This seems like a sane thing to be animated by in this day and age.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Surely if they can't get people through customs quickly people will just stop selling poo poo to the UK, like what's the point tying up your trucks and drivers in a car park for days when you could be using them to shift more goods elsewhere?

This is for goods moving out of the UK no?

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Before you use the phrase ‘end capitalism now’, always be sure to check your immediate surroundings for monkey paws.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

You know that if there's even a tiny bit of profit to be made they'll make truck drivers sit in a car park for days on end to wait for it. Might mean less fresh veg though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am wondering who "us" is in that sentence because unless your man has time traveled from the court of wessex he's as norman as anyone else.

Except norman tebbit he's the most norman.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Puntification posted:

This seems like a sane thing to be animated by in this day and age.
Compared to the other popular contemporary ones of "Bill Gates invented a virus to install windows updates in us with a vaccine" and "Trump only molested the children so that he could get access to the secret pedophile cabal that advertises itself exclusively via pictures of pizza on troll dolls" and whatever J.K. Rowling is mad about that involves a penis, yes.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I am wondering who "us" is in that sentence because unless your man has time traveled from the court of wessex he's as norman as anyone else.

Except norman tebbit he's the most norman.

remembering the time cameron got into bother because the only liked tweet on his twitter account was by a former poster from here with the name tebbit's cum face and a photo of tebbit being evacuated after the bombing on his twitter account

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah it's pretty much this. No truck driver will accept jobs driving into the UK and potentially getting stuck for days, without income.

I.e. a truck driver in Belgium won't take a job driving tomatoes into the UK, since they're not sure how many days the trip will take if they're stuck in a mess trying to get papers to get out, even if the UK just waves everyone through from their side.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Not one mention of Bill Cooper. Truly The Greatest Trick.

Included now! Thank you.

OwlFancier posted:

You don't need to spread your crazy to other threads just because the Q thread thinks you're absolutely mental.

Interesting that you would choose to continue this nihilistic crusade. What's your intent here exactly?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Conversely, Wat Tyler's lot were the only ones with the balls to actually march on London during the Peasants' Revolt, the Essex mob didn't bother until the Men of Kent opened the gates for them from the inside - of course all the gates were locked at the start of the trouble, but nobody seems to have put much thought into what happened if a few thousand tooled-up Medway boys just strolled across London Bridge like so many Millwall fans.

(Incidentally have *any* fortifications anywhere in the world been as loving useless as the London Walls? I don't think they've successfully stopped anyone since the Romans first put them up - Boudicca, various Saxons, Peasants, Barons, the Bastard of Fauconburg, all just strolled right in whenever they felt like it. Charles II had the gates removed because London defied his dad, but that seems a bit churlish given that a) it wasn't actually the gates that stopped Big Charlie, it was 20,000 pre-Industrial ICF putting the shits up him before he even got into Zone 2, and b) at least two of the gates (Aldgate and Cripplegate) had jammed open at some point in the Medieval period and nobody had bothered to fix them)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

b) at least two of the gates (Aldgate and Cripplegate) had jammed open at some point in the Medieval period and nobody had bothered to fix them)

TIL that discworld is more realistic than I already thought it was :v:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

boomers are loving obsessed with the war they didn't experience

https://twitter.com/ClientJournoExp/status/1305804479162441734?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

You know that if there's even a tiny bit of profit to be made they'll make truck drivers sit in a car park for days on end to wait for it. Might mean less fresh veg though.

As I'm talking about the City walls, their actual main purpose was to allow internal customs and excise to be levied on goods going into London - Goodman's Yard, just near Aldgate, was basically a Medieval Project Stack, with food deliveries waiting up to three weeks to pass through. You have to assume that this is why we ended up eating poo poo like jellied eels and pickles - anything fresh, even if it survived a week on a cart from Anglia, would have been loving compost by the time it actually got to your table.