Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Bismuth posted:

The guy on the right looks like CGI

He is, he's a Complete Goddamn Incompetent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

LawfulWaffle posted:

I just think of how much it would suck to be going to Hogwarts and be anyone outside of Potter’s social circle. Nothing you do matters for like 7 years of your life, you just watch some rich legacy kid break a bunch of rules and get rewarded for it. Should have been a lot more animosity for ol’ HP by the end. And yeah that’s the plight of any ancillary character but it sticks with me due to the length that they’re just stuck in this kid’s shadow.

Whatever. It gave us Wizard People Dear Reader which is better than nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPVhmZodaLA

I wish hed do the later books. Or just like other books. I wanna see what Dune by Brad Neely is like.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Procrastine posted:

Related to Rowling, the Shriekcast (HP reread podcast by and for people who liked HP at the time but stopped paying attention after the last book) introduced me to Emerson Spartz, founder of HP fansite Mugglenet, whose twitter is just endless galaxy brain nonsense:

https://twitter.com/EmersonSpartz

Pick and choose your favorites, I can feel my braincells dying with each one I read.

https://twitter.com/EmersonSpartz/status/1235596941305597954

gently caress man, I guess instead of dissociative disorder we should say traveling/teleporting disorder.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

Wasn't that always the tell? Rowling sets up this premise where a boy from utter poverty is catapulted to delirious wealth and celebrity, then does... basically nothing with it. The boy pivots uncritically and unquestioningly into the systems in front of him-- which is realistic, granted, for an 11 year-old-- but by the end not only has he not really changed, he becomes a Wizard cop and marries his working class high school sweetheart.

Between that and the "they like being enslaved stop being such a bleeding heart" subplot, the Banker Trolls and their coding, and Rowling's TERF leanings... it's hard to not read the whole story as very hardcore conservative, pretending to be liberal because it nominally doesn't hate brown people.

The tell that Rowling was a neoliberal quisling? Yes. I've long held that the overall irritation with the epilogue was people sensing this but not really being able to express it.

:witch: chatYou're wrong about Harry not changing. The catapulting happens in book one, and then the rest of Harry's arc is reconciling those two parts of his life to ultimately become a more empathetic, compassionate, and wiser person. He makes friends across class, station, and species lines which open him up to different viewpoints. He gets a critical look at every hero, mentor, and foe in his life, flaws and virtues, cruelties and persecution. He learned to seek justice, act with compassion, and stand up to fear. Harry is fundamentally an outsider, rejecting the place made for him in the world to forge his own path. It's the perfect background for a revolutionary. And then he wins a massive, destabilizing war by calling on his allies, trusting the people around him, and showing that power via consent is stronger than power via force.

The wizarding world is literally and metaphorically trashed by the end of Deathly Hollows, with Harry and his friends are positioned to enact some serious reforms. And fans picked up on that! Instead, Rowling just spat out the equivalent of "and then everything went back to normal" and people rightly hated it.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

christmas boots posted:

Amazing that somehow Rowling's book is going to be a less-progressive version of Silence of the Lambs, where at least in the movie version it's explicitly pointed out that Bill isn't trans

Just for the record: that is in the original book as well. Starling asks one of the doctors to look through the psychological profiles of everyone who applied for bottom surgery, and says something along the lines of "we are not looking for someone who's trans. All of your actual patients are just wanting to live their lives, and we don't even want to look through the files ourselves because we don't want to get in the way of that. We are very, very specifically looking for someone who you would have rejected the instant you saw them because they are not trans."

None of which is to say that the rest of the book is in good taste or not offensive. But there was an attempt to distance Bill from transgender issues.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director
I feel like Wizard of Earth Sea is what happens when you take the boy goes to wizard school idea and tackle it with a sense of originality. The first couple of Harry Potter books is just a few western mythological creatures combined with a few coming of age boarding school stories that have already been told that Rowling chucked in a blender and hit pulse on.

The Neal! has a new favorite as of 03:53 on Sep 15, 2020

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Karia posted:

Just for the record: that is in the original book as well. Starling asks one of the doctors to look through the psychological profiles of everyone who applied for bottom surgery, and says something along the lines of "we are not looking for someone who's trans. All of your actual patients are just wanting to live their lives, and we don't even want to look through the files ourselves because we don't want to get in the way of that. We are very, very specifically looking for someone who you would have rejected the instant you saw them because they are not trans."

None of which is to say that the rest of the book is in good taste or not offensive. But there was an attempt to distance Bill from transgender issues.

The movie has the same problem-- there's a few throwaway lines about how Bill is not trans, while dressing him up in alt-scene aesthetics popular in the late 80s/early 90s. The Goodbye Horses scene is a stunner with that killer music track (pulled from basically nowhere), but drat is it some bad PR for the TQ+ crowd. Really didn't help that Jeffrey Dahmer was captured literally months after the movie's release.

The whole movie has a problem in that regard. Clarice is sympathetic as a female FBI agent, but we're also shown how her femininity is consistently getting in the way of her job and something she needs to suppress to get the job done. Bill's great sin is that he wants to co-opt his own perverted vision of femininity and dresses himself in LGBTQ+ trappings. The ultimate evil in the movie-- Hannibal Lecter-- is shown to be a somewhat effete man when he's not eating faces, very prissy and inclined toward "fey" things like fine dining, nice clothes, and generally being comfortable not being butch.

I don't think those themes was intentional on any conscious level in the movie... but that's a valid reading and a really loving disturbing one in 2020.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Karia posted:

Yeah, people bring that up all the time but it doesn't really matter because it reinforced the validity of a toxic gatekeeping model and it fed the denial of trans youth who did not fit into the narrow criteria if the day—butch? gently caress you, no treatment. Bisexual or lesbian? gently caress you, no treatment.

Also "transsexuals are very passive" is a dumb take. gently caress you, we're Straight out of motherfuckin Compton's (:j:)

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Yeah, people bring that up all the time but it doesn't really matter because it reinforced the validity of a toxic gatekeeping model and it fed the denial of trans youth who did not fit into the narrow criteria if the day—butch? gently caress you, no treatment. Bisexual or lesbian? gently caress you, no treatment.

Also "transsexuals are very passive" is a dumb take. gently caress you, we're Straight out of motherfuckin Compton's (:j:)

That's a really good point that I hadn't considered. I haven't reread it since my egg cracked, and that wasn't something I was really cognizant of. Thanks for pointing that out.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I ran the largest Harry Potter roleplay group on Deviantart after highschool, like literally the biggest one there WAS on that site, the founders were two lesbians and a trans man, and a lot of our members were young queer people

It hits different when you read it as an adult vs reading it as a 6-10 year old outcast/minority, you want to be harry and get delivered out of your closet into a magical world. It really made it hard to accept who JKR was, and it doesnt surprise me that her being this way has broken a lot of people's brains, either through trying to rationalize her behavior or the sadness of having something you love twisted against you like that.

It genuinely depresses me what shes done to that part of my childhood, and I cant revisit that media and enjoy it like I used to without her shadow looming over every aspect of it. I loving hate her so much that every tweet and comment ripping into her makes me happy.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

The devs for the upcoming Harry Potter video game are using the fact that she's not involved as a selling point https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/...From%20%251%24s

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

grittyreboot posted:

The devs for the upcoming Harry Potter video game are using the fact that she's not involved as a selling point https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/...From%20%251%24s

GOOD

I dont love the language in this article though

"Some Harry Potter Game Developers Rattled by J.K. Rowling Backlash"

"The studio’s management has not addressed recent comments from the author J.K. Rowling that were widely viewed as transphobic"

quit being wishy-washy, its not the backlash that upsets people, and her statements arent 'widely viewed' as transphobic. Its her venomous bullshit that is making people reel back and her statements are clearly, blatantly, and unapologetically transphobic. Geeet hosed

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

LawfulWaffle posted:

I just think of how much it would suck to be going to Hogwarts and be anyone outside of Potter’s social circle. Nothing you do matters for like 7 years of your life, you just watch some rich legacy kid break a bunch of rules and get rewarded for it. Should have been a lot more animosity for ol’ HP by the end. And yeah that’s the plight of any ancillary character but it sticks with me due to the length that they’re just stuck in this kid’s shadow.
Ancillary character? Sounds like real life.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Procrastine posted:

Related to Rowling, the Shriekcast (HP reread podcast by and for people who liked HP at the time but stopped paying attention after the last book)

Are you talking about The Shrieking Shack podcast? I love that. Listening to two people realise that the thing they used to love is not as good as they remember, and how much attitudes have changed since then is surprisingly fun and interesting.

I'm marathoning it at the moment and am up to Goblet of Fire and you can really feel the pain they are going through, slogging through these sudden incredibly long boring books. They also mention the apparent lack of editing quite a lot.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Rondette has a new favorite as of 06:59 on Sep 15, 2020

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

The Neal! posted:

I feel like Wizard of Earth Sea is what happens when you take the boy goes to wizard school idea and tackle it with a sense of originality. The first couple of Harry Potter books is just a few western mythological creatures combined with a few coming of age boarding school stories that have already been told that Rowling chucked in a blender and hit pulse on.

Funny thing is, the two-part movie they made of the first two books very blatantly saw that too, because they tried to make the wizard school scenes into Hogwarts Lite. Probably my favorite part is when notHermione saves notDumbledore from notMalfoy's attempt to take over the school, none of which came even close to happening in the book.

The main issue with that movie is how they made everyone white, but the blatant disregard for the rest of the source material is almost comical. If you haven't seen it, it's almost worth it for Tenar, the cheerful elementary school teacher of the Atuan priestesses of light and friendship.

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
drat, i also used to read harry potter as a kid and I managed to read the fourth book and completely burned out on the fifth. it just became such an unbelievable slog.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Click through, it’s a wild ride.

https://twitter.com/melissajones997/status/1305649058346926081?s=21

This is apparently what you get when you block 85% of corporate ad accounts on twitter

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Rondette posted:

Are you talking about The Shrieking Shack podcast? I love that. Listening to two people realise that the thing they used to love is not as good as they remember, and how much attitudes have changed since then is surprisingly fun and interesting.

I'm marathoning it at the moment and am up to Goblet of Fire and you can really feel the pain they are going through, slogging through these sudden incredibly long boring books. They also mention the apparent lack of editing quite a lot.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Yeah. Strong recommendation for anyone who used to love the first few books when they were younger but fell off as they got worse.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

mind the walrus posted:

I don't think those themes was intentional on any conscious level in the movie... but that's a valid reading and a really loving disturbing one in 2020.

They weren't intentional no. The director while not gay had many gay friends so was quite horrified with the impression of the Lgbt community some people got from the film and the criticisms LGBT activists put to him. Its one of the reasons that he did Philadelphia afterwards.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

It's a loving novel. :stare:

23,447 words! 35 pages when pasted (without formatting or pictures) into Google Docs.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

quote:

This began when KIRK started having sex with my mother as a joke in this way. It’s a horrid situation. KIRK and James were supposed to meet me and make it up to me and give me a lot of money but that didn’t happen.

I hate it when rock stars promise to pay you in exchange for loving your mom in ghost form but just scam you. Always get the money up front :mad:

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 08:53 on Sep 15, 2020

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

This is apparently what you get when you block 85% of corporate ad accounts on twitter
Never before have I understood the phrase "time stood still" until I clicked this.

I got maybe 6 paragraphs in and forgot that İ had ever read anything else or that anything else existed. İ fell into this like water, and like waters had to swim my way out.

Being this person and thinking like they do must be exhausting.

Knackered
Jul 29, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

This is deeply distressing. It's the ramblings of a severely mentally ill woman that is convinced Metallica used witchcraft to control her mind and then kill her 17yr old cat (which I read as her killing her own cat).

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Cloacamazing! posted:

The main issue with that movie is how they made everyone white, but the blatant disregard for the rest of the source material is almost comical. If you haven't seen it, it's almost worth it for Tenar, the cheerful elementary school teacher of the Atuan priestesses of light and friendship.

Hahahahah, what? How the gently caress can you read any Earthsea story involving Sparrowhawk and ignore every single line that points out the protagonist's culture is explicitly not white?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/linzasaur/status/1305788079505055746

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

PurpleXVI posted:

Hahahahah, what? How the gently caress can you read any Earthsea story involving Sparrowhawk and ignore every single line that points out the protagonist's culture is explicitly not white?

I figure it involved a lot of white people deciding that nobody would watch a movie about non-white protagonists, and so they made ever character white, except Ogion who can be the Wise Black Guy. Kind of like with The Last Airbender.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought it was just random fantasy stuff. I didn't really like earthsea when I read it honestly.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Cloacamazing! posted:

Funny thing is, the two-part movie they made of the first two books very blatantly saw that too, because they tried to make the wizard school scenes into Hogwarts Lite. Probably my favorite part is when notHermione saves notDumbledore from notMalfoy's attempt to take over the school, none of which came even close to happening in the book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCyyzpsg6V0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mfnVK9RdZk

"Lost in Adaptation" did a really good pair of episodes on the Earthsea adaptation

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cloacamazing! posted:

...What the absolute gently caress.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

It’s not great, it’s a bad trope no matter how they spin it, and the novel/movie succeeds despite that, though I still completely get that it’s a giant caveat and can see why people would nope out.

That said it’s from 1988 and even it’s not as hateful as the bile jkr is spitting out today 30-odd years later.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Why the living gently caress is this arsehole not in Jail?

I thought the FBI took "impersonating an officer", and "fraud with intent" seriously.

The fact that he's white and right wing can't be enough can it? What connections does he have, and if he has those connections why isn't he using them instead of hiring actors?

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Captain Monkey posted:

Couldn't read for more than a couple of paragraphs, this reads 100% like psychosis. Seen people going though things like this irl, unfortunately - it's kinda triggering almost :smith:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

OwlFancier posted:

I thought it was just random fantasy stuff. I didn't really like earthsea when I read it honestly.

Honestly for anyone interested in Earthsea stuff just read the first book and ignore the rest, because they really aren't very good.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How come nobody ever points out that the germans were pretty anti-woke and they lost

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

nurmie posted:

Couldn't read for more than a couple of paragraphs, this reads 100% like psychosis. Seen people going though things like this irl, unfortunately - it's kinda triggering almost :smith:

Yeah, this is just a very ill person, not very funny imo

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Also Robbie Coltrane and his generation also didn’t win any wars.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

PurpleXVI posted:

Honestly for anyone interested in Earthsea stuff just read the first book and ignore the rest, because they really aren't very good.

I’ve only ever read the first. Love it and Ursula k leguin in general but never made it to the rest.

Also cat wings is an adorable children’s series about kittens with wings

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/ryxcommar/status/1305841565571723265

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
obvious satire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Data Graham posted:

How come nobody ever points out that the germans were pretty anti-woke and they lost

in their dumbshit logic nazis are commies and therefore woke.