Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ice Fist posted:

That makes sense.

Next question, if I don't want the Kingdom of Scotland to go independent when I die what's the best course of action? Hang onto the land until I can form the Empire? Integrate it into primary title?

You can integrate it, but that takes a pretty long time. Generally going for an empire-tier title usually the best course of action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

KingKapalone posted:

Why is my wife naked now? She became ruler of the little county she had a claim to after her uncle died or something. I had my player screen open at the time and she took her top off. She also stopped showing up in my council. Now I'm loading up the game again and welp...

In addition to culture and religion this can also be caused by her (or her liege) having lunatic.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Is there any rhyme or reason to why certain characters are fearful or terrified of you? I'm a queen with zero natural dread and current dread, and I still have some vassals making GBS threads their pants.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Is there any rhyme or reason to why certain characters are fearful or terrified of you? I'm a queen with zero natural dread and current dread, and I still have some vassals making GBS threads their pants.

Some characters are just chicken. There’s a hidden value for each called ‘boldness’ which is compared to your dread. Boldness can go negative so even if you have no dread they scan still be intimidated by you.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Gasmask posted:

Some characters are just chicken. There’s a hidden value for each called ‘boldness’ which is compared to your dread. Boldness can go negative so even if you have no dread they scan still be intimidated by you.

It can be a little silly, I was a 2 year old girl and my spy master was too intimidated by me to act against me

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I dunno, kids can be pretty terrifyingly amoral pre-socialization.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Corbeau posted:

Due to his job, the spymaster knows all about the various regents playfully defenestrated by their young wards. He's not risking it.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 15, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Corbeau posted:

on the other hand

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Thank you, 7-year-old girl, for this message, which I was able to flip into a +15 opinion bonus across the realm

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
One upside of the constant seduction is that arresting the culprits and making them pay the horny tax to get out of jail is a great way of filling up your coffers. My past few rulers have easily made most of their money from ransoming. (To be fair, most of that in turn is probably prisoners taken in wars against more highly developed regions of the world, since they seem regularly able to pay 200+ gold to get their cousins back.)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Me: Let's try this Rome thing.

Dynasty head: I'm your steward for 25 years, enjoy my Skill of 5 and all the county problems I'll create.

Me: :ese:

10/10 Byzantine simulator, will kinslay again.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Duchy buildings seem pretty powerful. Do I have to be holding the duchy personally to get realm bonuses?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Speaking of :ese:, my succession problems kept mounting even after the aforementioned 62 year old top candidate croaked a full 10 years before my ruler did, because electors just seem pathologically unable to vote for anyone who isn't at least 50 with terrible traits. For some reason they really seem to care about whatever "He is a strong man +30" means. It's not about prowess, there's a different bonus for that. Meanwhile, "This guy is loving ancient and is going to die any second now holy poo poo" only nets a -15 penalty. I really wish the elector screen had more options for sorting, it's a pain to find the electors you actually want to sway in the list.

In the end I managed to get my preferred candidate to rank 2, but whenever I got him up to rank 1 the second candidate would flip back on top again. Murder plots had a 6% chance of success and would take 6 years to complete, years I certainly did not have. In the end I had to take extreme measures and pay the renown penalty to denounce the top candidate as dynasty head, arrest him, and banish him and just eat the tyranny. Poor man lost his kingdom title and was forced into exile with 100 opinion of me. Oh well, that's what it takes, I suppose.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Sep 15, 2020

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

one of the major factors for electives used to be total prestige, which old landed characters will be lousy with and moreso if they're feudal. there does seem like there are more tools to mitigate that though, with bloodline traits and the chancellor position. at some point they'll probably bring back more minor titles as well, so that'll help with pushing the vote towards your intended heir.

until you get those tools it's all tired, sickly old men and constant short reign penalties. still, if your guy is gonna be on the throne for only a couple of years why not imprison your own kids and start trimming out pretenders?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is border friction a thing? One of the great empires now has a direct border with me :ohdear:

Also I was thinking about using my Holy War: Kingdom casus belly on Nubia but that would put me smack dab in the middle of Nasraddin territory. If that makes them as aggressive as that Manso territory was to me, well (also they are up to 27k which is TRIPLE mine, I know people are like "Oh those huge numbers are levies whatever" but they have 3000 MAA)

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Had a rare but interesting situation happen to me and I was wondering if anyone else had encountered it or knew a fix.

I have Absolute Crown Authority and High Partition secession laws, and I designated my youngest daughter as my heir because I prefer younger characters to inherit, but my current character has lived far longer than I was expecting so I would like my first child's (who has passed, on rip.) child to inherit. The problem is that the Designate Heir function only allows you to select children, not grandchildren, and it once you've selected an heir there doesn't seem to be any function that resets it to 'None Selected'. You can only switch it from child to child.

So far the only solution I can think of is to drop back down to High Crown authority, as this would deactivate the designate heir function and allow for a grand-child to be the primary heir again.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is there an integer overflow issue with fighting against peasant rebels or something, because I slaughtered my way through a swarm of French peasants angry about getting their asses kicked by the Norse Megadeath Empress in the middle of a war against the not-so-French anymore Empire and my prestige was swinging back and forth as I attacked and murdered every hostile army I could see.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Played this far too much since release, game is really fun. No real complaints about bugs. Long post ahead.

Stress system is good but the game needs a whole lot more events to help with the rping. Feels weird sitting on my rear end for a few years doing nothing/just schemin.

Confederate partioning is fun when you learn how to roll with it, but I just dont see why i cant like designate parts of the heritage, why does my brother want ångermanland when the rest of his inheritage is in iberia?
Just let me set up my prefered structure and let my vassals/heir rebel or something if they dont like it and I take too much for myself. Base it on distance and development or something. So maybe my brother is fine not having ångermanland, but he still doesnt want me to get it. Then he proposes some other claimant gets it or that i raise a new vassal or something.
gently caress make it a decision, when you are 50+ you can have a lil conference in your capital with your vassals to discuss the partioning. They put forward claims, you put forward yours, they might ask for indiependece if they are not de jure, or a title for their second kid etc. You still lose land but can keep your borders pretty. Make it a lifestyle trait if it seems to OP.

Elective succession could also be a whole lot more engaging.

Asatru pagans are hella op, make loads of kids, put your dynasty on every throne, then call 20 house members to war, give new county to dynasty member, call 21 house members to war next time, repeat. Im snowballin like hell and the game has problems opening my dynasty tree.

Also rally point teleportation really helps the game go smoother, its hellwar all the time anyway. But yeah your men-at-arms should probably be based in a camp/castle somewhere, and have a fee if you gonna raise em on the other side of the continent. Make it so you can build and upgrade it and if you build to many(to get more rally points closer to conflict zones) tie it in with some bad events where your men-at-arms get uppity since they have more land under control.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Apparently it only works for independent rulers. If a king's vassal conquers some poo poo at the other side of the map, it won't break apart.

Dallan Invictus posted:

This doesn't seem true, because the French exclave in Gloucester in my game (owned by the Duke of Flanders when he inherited it from Scotland) went independent via the exclave rule (or at least it looked like the exclave rule, they all went independent at once and there wasn't a war) after I landlocked it by conquering the two French coastal counties in York.

I think the main thing is that ANY naval path is enough for an exclave to stay attached on all settings, no matter how long, and also there's no range limit on Vikings using the conquest CB on coastal provinces (specifically Vikings, anyone else can only use it on land or sea neighbours).
Yeah, I found the perfect situation to dig around in this using all the (inadequate) tools of the dev mode and see what got freed and it's… complicated. I think a large part of what makes it seem like exclaves “don't work” is the “at peace” rule — AI, in particular, gets in all kinds of scraps and skirmishes all the time, so chances are that most of the time, their realms don't split because they're not at peace. At the same time — and this has to be checked on further — I found one case where it did split while the country was at war, but that was as an attacking ally so maybe the “at peace” rule should more be read as “if the realm's territory is not in question or being challenged in war” than just plan “at peace”.

Consider this situation: nasty ebil Sweden (and allies) are being annoying around the Med, whereas heroic Italy is trying to make inroads civilising the north:

In particular, let's check out Algier, Tortoli and Ajaccio.

They're being held by the Swedish king (indeed the entire Algier duchy is his), his liege the duchess of Norrland, and her liege, the count of Ajaccio

Let's off the king and see what happens to those exclaves under the “Significant” rule, where “rulers at peace will lose disconnected land on succession unless it's part of their de jure territory or is connected to the capital by a naval path.”

Algier, the king's personal duchy and county: a new independent duke takes over the entire duchy and all the counties inside it.

Tortoli, the duchess' personal county: a new independent count takes over.

Ajaccio, the count's personal county: the count remains in place.

So: the king (or perhaps more relevantly, his heir) and the duchess have their capital holdings back in Sweden; the count does not. On the kings death, when at (console-enforced) peace, the king's and the duchess' exclave holdings break free and new duke and count are conjured up to take over those; the count's only holding — not an exclave to him since it's part of his (single) de jure holding — retains in his control and he breaks free.

This all sounds like it's as intended, although it goes counter to some of the descriptions that are floating around. But the big one, it seems, is simply that peace requirement and what it actually means to be “at peace” in relation to the exclave rules. It seems like you (and the AI) can quite trivially skirt around the exclave independence by constantly having your territory — any part of it — being challenged in any way.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Sep 15, 2020

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Sankis posted:

Yeah, I tried that and my list just isn't updating at all.

The only save that's showing is the cloud save for my current ironman game which is from last night. It's at 19 September 1013. I loaded it up, let it run for a few seconds so that it was 30 Sept 1013 and saved it.

Loaded it back up and it's 19 September 1013.

I had this exact same situation. If you click off the little enable cloud saves box at the bottom of the save/load game menus, you should be able to start saving manually again and have it update.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Duchy buildings seem pretty powerful. Do I have to be holding the duchy personally to get realm bonuses?

Yes. The bonus only applies to the person holding the county. Same with the Pyramids, Great Cathedrals and the like. The game expects you to hold only 2 duchies, so they are good but they don't break the game.

Until you go North Korea, that is :getin:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Zombiepop posted:

Confederate partioning is fun when you learn how to roll with it, but I just dont see why i cant like designate parts of the heritage, why does my brother want ångermanland when the rest of his inheritage is in iberia?
Just let me set up my prefered structure and let my vassals/heir rebel or something if they dont like it and I take too much for myself. Base it on distance and development or something. So maybe my brother is fine not having ångermanland, but he still doesnt want me to get it. Then he proposes some other claimant gets it or that i raise a new vassal or something.
gently caress make it a decision, when you are 50+ you can have a lil conference in your capital with your vassals to discuss the partioning. They put forward claims, you put forward yours, they might ask for indiependece if they are not de jure, or a title for their second kid etc. You still lose land but can keep your borders pretty. Make it a lifestyle trait if it seems to OP.

There could be something a bit like the treaty system of HoI 4 when the player's close family are involved.

That said, you can kind of do this before you die. The thing about children being unable to be granted titles they do not stand to inherit seems to apply only to your player heir, and titles a child has received before death are accounted for when divvying up the inheritance, so if you give your brother more stuff in Iberia, he won't get land in Scandinavia.

At Absolute Crown Authority you can totally game this to make Primogeniture by designating someone other than your intended heir temporarily, then give your intended heir all your titles but the capital province and your primary title, then designate them as heir. Costs 2000 prestige but should be worth it.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah I know you can do that, I just wish it was a bit easier, or easier to manage and tied into the game. Feels weird that absolutely no one in my kingdom discusses this at all.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

Yes. The bonus only applies to the person holding the county. Same with the Pyramids, Great Cathedrals and the like. The game expects you to hold only 2 duchies, so they are good but they don't break the game.

Until you go North Korea, that is :getin:

Ah. Well combining this with the current line of discussion, it looks like even though my heir is getting two kingdoms because of the separate title succession, the capital county and duchy of the second kingdom is going to my Stupid seventhson... I guess I could find him another duchy somewhere else but I would still need to probably land children 8-11 to get a second duchy to my heir...

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

My dog brought me two gold.

Good boy.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Pets are great, stress relief, occasional gold, and sometimes they bring incriminating letters that give you hooks

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

Is it me, or is there a shortage of mercs? I'm playing as a Byzantine Despot in 1278 and I only have five groups available, two of whom are already hired.

The pope permanently has ~30k mercs on contract (and 60k gold in the bank) so my hopes of getting the Pentarchy for Orthodoxy are not great. I realise that booting the Papa out of Rome shouldn't be trivial, but it seems kind of crazy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Has anyone noticed issues with the spymaster Find Secrets task when you start opening the Schemer intrigue tree? Once I took the perk that allowed Find Secrets to create hooks on people, that's all it would do. I'd never find secrets, I would always have to pay money to fabricate a hook, which was useless because all I was trying to do was blackmail them for money in the first place.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
No no, you fabricate hooks to force them to move to your court so you can press their claim and make your money from their vassal taxes

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

But that would require me raising an army, and marching all the way down to Anatolia, chasing armies around, sacking sooo many towns, and who has time for that? Much better if they just send me cash in the post.

e: seriously I can't grant away any titles and keep them in the realm, they instantly become vassals of my liege for some reason. This happens even if I try to give away a county within my primary duchy title. Anybody know what the hell is going on?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

You can check the title history of the title, does that give any clues? It should show who got the title when and why.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Has anyone noticed issues with the spymaster Find Secrets task when you start opening the Schemer intrigue tree? Once I took the perk that allowed Find Secrets to create hooks on people, that's all it would do. I'd never find secrets, I would always have to pay money to fabricate a hook, which was useless because all I was trying to do was blackmail them for money in the first place.

You should move your spymaster to a place with a higher chance of finding secrets. If there’s only a 25% chance of finding a secret in a certain location then most of the time your only option is to fabricate a hook. I’ll just go with the opinion bonus instead if it’s some random courtier with no money, but sometimes you can end up fabricating a strong hook on a ruler which can be pretty useful.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

PittTheElder posted:

But that would require me raising an army, and marching all the way down to Anatolia, chasing armies around, sacking sooo many towns, and who has time for that? Much better if they just send me cash in the post.

Just kidnap the war target!

Anomandaris
Apr 3, 2010

Gasmask posted:

Is it me, or is there a shortage of mercs? I'm playing as a Byzantine Despot in 1278 and I only have five groups available, two of whom are already hired.

The pope permanently has ~30k mercs on contract (and 60k gold in the bank) so my hopes of getting the Pentarchy for Orthodoxy are not great. I realise that booting the Papa out of Rome shouldn't be trivial, but it seems kind of crazy.

When it came time to go for the Pope I decided that having years of just fighting unlimited mercs is idiotic, so I just edited the save file and left him about ~5000 gold (instead of 100k). I still had to fight the initial wave (minus 3-4 companies I hired beforehand), but no more, and it still made for a decent challenge.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

You can check the title history of the title, does that give any clues? It should show who got the title when and why.

It does not. The history basically just shows me owning it, then obviously changes to the guy I grant it to whenever I do that. It's the relationship that's off, which sadly the UI doesn't really explain at all.

wizardofloneliness posted:

You should move your spymaster to a place with a higher chance of finding secrets. If there’s only a 25% chance of finding a secret in a certain location then most of the time your only option is to fabricate a hook. I’ll just go with the opinion bonus instead if it’s some random courtier with no money, but sometimes you can end up fabricating a strong hook on a ruler which can be pretty useful.

Well the rate was pretty high in Constantinople, >60% I think. Like normally I'd discover 3-4 secrets during the task cycle, but the instant I took that 'sometimes fabricate hooks' perk, that stopped completely.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Well the rate was pretty high in Constantinople, >60% I think. Like normally I'd discover 3-4 secrets during the task cycle, but the instant I took that 'sometimes fabricate hooks' perk, that stopped completely.

I'll still find some actual secrets with the perk. I think it seems like it's less because without the perk I usually wouldn't really notice if my spymaster didn't find anything for a few cycles because it's not one of the big pop-ups, but when you have the perk it will fire every time except a significant percentage of that will be your spymaster saying "Well, I didn't find anything but you can make up something about this random guy if you want." But that's one of the first perks I go for, so I don't spend all that much time without it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah ok, it's certainly possible my spymaster was just not very good, or the RNG was being a jerk. Good to know it's not actually broken.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I hate the drunk visual effect. Why does a character immediately go into late stage alcoholism? It just makes characters everywhere look super ugly.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

I hate the drunk visual effect. Why does a character immediately go into late stage alcoholism? It just makes characters everywhere look super ugly.

It's not conveyed well, and I also dislike the effect, but I do get the impression that acquiring "drunkard" is supposed to imply "late-stage alcoholism" more than "everybody drinks but you drink extra": you're officially drinking so much that it's a primary obstacle interfering with your life.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It's annoying that even if you have Temporal Clerical Appointment, if your head priest dies and is automatically replaced, you get the 10 year cooldown on changing them.

disaster pastor posted:

It's not conveyed well, and I also dislike the effect, but I do get the impression that acquiring "drunkard" is supposed to imply "late-stage alcoholism" more than "everybody drinks but you drink extra": you're officially drinking so much that it's a primary obstacle interfering with your life.

Which makes it really funny when a 16 year old immediately gets it as they go into adulthood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Which makes it really funny when a 16 year old immediately gets it as they go into adulthood.

When you're a 16-year-old who's been tutored by your parent's devious spymaster, seen your first betrothed die of mysterious causes, seen your second betrothed fall into a pond and get eaten by carp, and seen your third betrothed die of the plague, you've had a lot to drink about.