Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Xander77 posted:

I think we may be thinking about different writers?

I'm talking about Terry Pratchett, the author of the Discworld books. You may know him as the guy who stans for an enlightened dictatorship and whose only explicit mention of democracy in the modern timeline involves "and so they voted for bread and circuses, haha, stupid masses"? The guy for whom every single person pushing for civil rights is either a moron or a fraud (because that's politics, and what kind of decent person would go into that)? The guy who does "minority rights advocates are just elitist SJW's, real (model) minorities don't concern themselves with that nonsense" jokes straight out of Mallard Fillmore? The guy who wrote a book where a person sent to inspect the police force (for the first time ever, apparently, since Vimes is enough of a moral paragon that he can police himself) was an annoying interfering twerp who only came around (to be a real manly man who attacks protesters) once he realized that the police force are the thin blue line that separates society from chaos?

I'm not suggesting he's a Garrison level (as an aside, that's another person who takes issue with Jews "bad bankers", because literally every single stripe of political ideology has a problem with "bad bankers", they just don't agree that the term means) mega-chud - denigrating democracy and civilian control of police and military forces is such a long-standing tradition for "non-ideological" liberal writers that it's easier to note the exceptions.

He's just (to use the Disco-Elyisum term) a true-born, dyed in the wool moralist. Who absolutely does believe that "having nice people in the right positions would fix everything wrong" - and of course, nice people believe in common sense consensus-liberal politics, they just aren't... you know, political or loud about it.

Democracy is pretty much a massive failure globally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

hanales posted:

ahahaha

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hanales posted:

I'm 14 years old and very smart too.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

I mean, death of the author and all , but discworld is a highly moralist universe so.
On one hand , pterry spoke at a tory convention, on the other hand his book have examples of class consciousness and no one who comes up with the samuel vimes theory of boots and economic inequality can be truly bad.theres a left humanist populist in there, even if buried under all the liberal tropes.

Edit: actually that vimes quote is very dolly parton.partonist?partonista?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

On one hand , pterry spoke at a tory convention,

He did, and you can read his speech here. It's basically a call to the tories to not strangle the NHS when they (inevitably) came to power.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Thats like talking at the ocean convention and begging water not to be wet.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Jedit posted:

No. A few months before he had to stop writing Pterry said that Discworld technology and society wasn't ever going to advance beyond the level it was at in Raising Steam.

That doesn’t justify the ‘no’; at that point he knew he would never get to 60 books.

Theres\’s a genre thing going on, where the Discworld is mostly Progressive Fantasy, where the past is largely bad, but getting better according a schedule set by the History Monks and/or Marx. That’s in contrast to Romantic Fantasy, where having historical trappings is no reason to have historical bad things, or Reactionary Fantasy where historical bad things are actually good.

For other fantasy series, SoIaF is also written as progressive, LoTR is reactionary, the Valdemar series is romantic. You can read any of them the other way, and maybe even enjoy them. it’s just you will be talking nonsense if you use that reading to make a statement about the author.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm 14 years old and very smart too.

I mean, restrict yourself to the English-speaking world over the last four years and you can make a pretty solid case.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I mean, restrict yourself to the English-speaking world over the last four years and you can make a pretty solid case.

it seems to work great, the voters got what they wanted

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

ChubbyChecker posted:

it seems to work great, the voters got what they wanted

No republican president has won the popular vote since 1988.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Xander77 posted:

I think we may be thinking about different writers?

I'm talking about Terry Pratchett, the author of the Discworld books. You may know him as the guy who stans for an enlightened dictatorship and whose only explicit mention of democracy in the modern timeline involves "and so they voted for bread and circuses, haha, stupid masses"? The guy for whom every single person pushing for civil rights is either a moron or a fraud (because that's politics, and what kind of decent person would go into that)? The guy who does "minority rights advocates are just elitist SJW's, real (model) minorities don't concern themselves with that nonsense" jokes straight out of Mallard Fillmore? The guy who wrote a book where a person sent to inspect the police force (for the first time ever, apparently, since Vimes is enough of a moral paragon that he can police himself) was an annoying interfering twerp who only came around (to be a real manly man who attacks protesters) once he realized that the police force are the thin blue line that separates society from chaos?

I'm not suggesting he's a Garrison level (as an aside, that's another person who takes issue with Jews "bad bankers", because literally every single stripe of political ideology has a problem with "bad bankers", they just don't agree that the term means) mega-chud - denigrating democracy and civilian control of police and military forces is such a long-standing tradition for "non-ideological" liberal writers that it's easier to note the exceptions.

He's just (to use the Disco-Elyisum term) a true-born, dyed in the wool moralist. Who absolutely does believe that "having nice people in the right positions would fix everything wrong" - and of course, nice people believe in common sense consensus-liberal politics, they just aren't... you know, political or loud about it.

Lmao at this set of nuclear takes.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
more like moronist lmao

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

My new unattainable wish is to see how TP would respond to the accusation of "stanning for an enlightened dictatorship", don't mind whether it's via usenet post or interview

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh now I feel foolish with my "world peace" :(

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Finished The Truth, awesome book, top 3 for me so far. Very quotable, especially William's meditations on privilege and his back and forths with Vimes and Vetinari. I enjoyed the crime movie references here too, much less hamhanded than similar stuff in Soul Music.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Xander77 posted:

The guy for whom every single person pushing for civil rights is either a moron or a fraud (because that's politics, and what kind of decent person would go into that)? The guy who does "minority rights advocates are just elitist SJW's, real (model) minorities don't concern themselves with that nonsense" jokes straight out of Mallard Fillmore?

What is this even supposed to be referring to? Doesn't sound like any Pratchett I've read.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

DontMockMySmock posted:

What is this even supposed to be referring to? Doesn't sound like any Pratchett I've read.
Primarily undead and vampire rights activists for the first part, dwarf rights activists for the second.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The likes of Doreen Winkings and pre-Watch Reg Shoe are very well-observed resonances with a type of person who very much exists in left-wing and minority organising circles. People are allowed to poke fun at things we like.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Yeah, Doreen Winkings is basically Rachel Dolezal.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

El Fideo posted:

Yeah, Doreen Winkings is basically Rachel Dolezal.

there was a new similar case recently: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/03/us/jessica-krug-gwu-black-trnd/index.html

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Trin Tragula posted:

The likes of Doreen Winkings and pre-Watch Reg Shoe are very well-observed resonances with a type of person who very much exists in left-wing and minority organising circles. People are allowed to poke fun at things we like.

he was portrayed incredibly sympathetically in night watch too, even though prachett gets some digs in there. he's an ideologue but he's naively optimistic and portrayed as tragic rather than malicious. honestly post watch reg is arguably worse - there are a bunch of times a minority character becomes a cop and immediately goes "boy i sure do love oppressing my specific minority" which has really uncomfortable implied parallels?

CoolCab fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 17, 2020

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Detritus straight-up makes a "my own kind, can't trust em" quip in Men at Arms, and if it makes you feel bad then on top of the whole "there's no one but Watchmen in the Watch" and the later concept of "you can't just take off your badge and stop being a Watchman," I figured it was Pratchett dragging the concept and tendency of police forces being a monocultural institution that takes people and fashions them into uniformed (and uniform) instruments of the law, for good and ill, regardless of background due to the nature of the job.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Always remember, Vetinari is an Assassin playing the long game.

He's not here to rule. He's here to kill the very concept of monarchy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

There's also the fact that in the case of Angua Pratchett is saying that diversity hires is a good thing.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

Detritus straight-up makes a "my own kind, can't trust em" quip in Men at Arms, and if it makes you feel bad then on top of the whole "there's no one but Watchmen in the Watch" and the later concept of "you can't just take off your badge and stop being a Watchman," I figured it was Pratchett dragging the concept and tendency of police forces being a monocultural institution that takes people and fashions them into uniformed (and uniform) instruments of the law, for good and ill, regardless of background due to the nature of the job.

Yeah, all that stuff is supposed to be Vimes teaching everyone 'Once you take this badge, you can't think of yourself as a dwarf or a troll or a werewolf anymore, you are an Agent of Justice now, and you have to put Doing the Right Thing above siding with family or tradition.' It's very idealistic, but that's part of the enjoyment.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, what gets me is like, Pratchett taking the piss out of these nominally leftist things? Dude took the piss out of everything, centering around the tendency of people to do both good and evil, but still ultimately believed in the capacity of people to do good. If this is a bad thing, then I can only assume that whatever that dude's beef with Pratchett is is about how he was not cynical enough in his fantasy comedy series lol

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alhazred posted:

There's also the fact that in the case of Angua Pratchett is saying that diversity hires is a good thing.

Not just Angua. Cuddy and Detritus were also very positive hires, not least because they developed one of the first troll/dwarf friendships.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Liquid Communism posted:

Ah... Wait...

Goddamned right he is ! Thank you.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Liquid Communism posted:

So who hired him? Assassins don't work for free.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Canuckistan posted:

"I come from the city. Think of me as... your future."

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Canuckistan posted:

Effectively? The Guilds, whose power he increased significantly, and the people of Ankh-Morpork.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jedit posted:

Not just Angua. Cuddy and Detritus were also very positive hires, not least because they developed one of the first troll/dwarf friendships.

Ugh don't remind me of Cuddy :'(

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Finished Monstrous Regiment, I agree that it ran out of steam at the end, but still quite enjoyable. Polly was a solid POV, and I'm a sucker for stories where the main character figures out that they aren't really the most important person to the story.

Where to now? I'm thinking reading the Moist von Lipwig stuff, then doubling back to finally read the Witches books. (I've finished the Watch books, Death books, Small Gods, and now The Truth and Monstrous Regiment)

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

DACK FAYDEN posted:

"I come from the city. Think of me as... your future."
I loved Night Watch when I read it years ago, and I frequently would quote the part where Sam considers the city as a process.

After following Mike Duncan's Revolutions podcast for months, I'm rereading Night Watch with renewed appreciation.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Tokelau All Star posted:

Finished Monstrous Regiment, I agree that it ran out of steam at the end, but still quite enjoyable. Polly was a solid POV, and I'm a sucker for stories where the main character figures out that they aren't really the most important person to the story.

Where to now? I'm thinking reading the Moist von Lipwig stuff, then doubling back to finally read the Witches books. (I've finished the Watch books, Death books, Small Gods, and now The Truth and Monstrous Regiment)

Thief of time? Otherwise yes, the moist books are good.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Well, the trailer's out.

I hate it. :(

It is just tantalizing enough, with all these quick little Discworld references (Gaspode! Sybil's hair fell off!), that I'm all the more frustrated with the setting and casting choices (Why is Sybil a young woman?). I also liked Vimes a lot more in the casting photos, in action he seems... I dunno, seedier? Grimier than I always pictured him?

I will give it a couple episodes to see how it feels when it's all put together, but I'm not terribly hopeful.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Well, the trailer's out.

I hate it. :(

It is just tantalizing enough, with all these quick little Discworld references (Gaspode! Sybil's hair fell off!), that I'm all the more frustrated with the setting and casting choices (Why is Sybil a young woman?). I also liked Vimes a lot more in the casting photos, in action he seems... I dunno, seedier? Grimier than I always pictured him?

I will give it a couple episodes to see how it feels when it's all put together, but I'm not terribly hopeful.

:lmao: that looks terrible. I'm sure someone will enjoy it, like most terrible things. I lost it at them being Sam and the Holograms I guess? (Which is truly outrageous!)

e: If Sybil is ball due to being an Aristocrat (i.e. some congenital VD) that's a point for them, though.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

They're trying something. It might not work, and it might not be worthwhile, but I've had more than enough of Sky's plunkingly clueless attempts to be reverent while also totally missing the point. Worst case scenario, at least it'll be bad in a different way.

Phenotype posted:

I also liked Vimes a lot more in the casting photos, in action he seems... I dunno, seedier? Grimier than I always pictured him?

I mean, when we first meet him in Guards! Guards!, he's literally an irrelevant, incompetent drunk, lying in the gutter singing a rude song about hedgehogs.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Yet another thing that fans will pretend don't exist, like the movies for the Dark Tower and World War Z.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Trin Tragula posted:

I mean, when we first meet him in Guards! Guards!, he's literally an irrelevant, incompetent drunk, lying in the gutter singing a rude song about hedgehogs.

Yeah, that's exactly why I was having a hard time coming up with the right word to describe it. But he doesn't seem like a drunkard cop, he seems like a drunkard criminal. And his face is too animated. He's too comic.