Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Jfc they could be coughing their lungs out while complaining that they can't taste their coffee and you can't kick their asses out and force them to vote curbside? What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Here's what happens when we do curbside voting:

1. I get an alert on the pollpad (ipad with voter registration database) saying that so and so is coming for curbside voting if I'm lucky. I get a description of the car. Most of the time I wait a good 10-20 minutes for the car to show up. This ties up 1 of the 2 election judges at a polling location - this is less manpower to process people through, and less people to handle problem cases such as people showing up in the wrong precinct, or people who need provisional ballots, etc.

2. I take the pollpad out for them to check in. There's usually 2 pollpads at a precinct. So you're halving the number of people you can process while you do that.

3. After check-in, I take the pollpad back inside, sync it up with the ticket printer, which prints out a barcode. I scan the barcode so it prints out the correct ballot for that individual.

4. I am required to stand outside while the person in the car takes as long as they want to fill in their choices. See item #1 for issues with that. Sometimes people will take 5 minutes. Sometimes they will take as long as they want because they didn't look up any of the candidates before coming. There's no straight-ticket voting anymore so they will have to fill out every bubble.

5. I get permission to scan the ballot into the machine. Or a helper may come scan it in. I will also have to swear in the helper with an oath that says they won't alter the person's vote.

Meanwhile, the polling place has blown up while I was gone, there's 69 pissed off people at the judge's desk, and I will have to pick go up the pieces.

Mail-in voting should be offered to every person in this country regardless of their situation.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

re: Bernie wanting to store nuclear waste in Texas

uh

that would be pretty good, actually! it just sits in a concrete vat forever and you pay people to guard it and then sometimes to look at the concrete to make sure it’s cool

I’d love to be in the nuclear waste management industry

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Kunabomber posted:

Mail-in voting should be offered to every person in this country regardless of their situation.

Yup.

Too bad the current administration literally ran on the platform of depriving most people in country of things that should be universally provided.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

wolfs posted:

I’d love to be in the nuclear waste management industry

Would be way the gently caress better than the time I put in working for an industrial waste company. gently caress.

And literally nobody cares what those people do lmao

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
A lot of the bitterness between Bernie and Warren people, who should be allies all things considered, is from her straight-up lying about him saying some poo poo he didn't say. The bitterness is 100% on her because there's no reconciling from that; you believe her or you believe him and either way you think the other candidate sucks poo poo afterward.

Also she refused to drop out before Super Tuesday so she could stay in and get 3rd in her home state, completely nuking any chance of advancing their mostly shared agenda that could have helped a lot of people jesus I'm getting mad just typing it out gently caress Warren forever

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They played "The Eyes of Texas" after the UT game on Saturday. If you remember, the players held out on practicing and getting rid of it was one of their demands. It was over the PA because the band wasn't there.

The TV crew was just baffled by the players leaving the field and not doing the alma mater thing. Like "The players must not be able to hear it or something". Dudes, you work for the Longhorn Network. Your one job is to know about UT sports and you don't know why the players are leaving the field for "The Eyes of Texas"?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

PostNouveau posted:

A lot of the bitterness between Bernie and Warren people, who should be allies all things considered, is from her straight-up lying about him saying some poo poo he didn't say. The bitterness is 100% on her because there's no reconciling from that; you believe her or you believe him and either way you think the other candidate sucks poo poo afterward.

Also she refused to drop out before Super Tuesday so she could stay in and get 3rd in her home state, completely nuking any chance of advancing their mostly shared agenda that could have helped a lot of people jesus I'm getting mad just typing it out gently caress Warren forever

its like the things she has been fighting for arent actaully all that important to her after all

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

its like the things she has been fighting for arent actaully all that important to her after all

BLOOD AND TEETH

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I felt like Bernie and Warren were largely pretty close to each other, but what I don't get is people going from Warren all the way to Biden, who on the outset everybody said was the most conservative of the primary candidates (aside from Bloomberg's bizarre adventure), and shared very few of her views. That takes some serious broken brain, and I think for a lot of people it starts getting into the whole Bernie Bros conspiracy idea that is heavily exaggerated.

Biden pretty obviously only won the primaries because of backroom dealings to get every other non-progressive candidate to pull out from the race at the exact same time and endorse the limp corpse they had been kicking around for the earlier part of the race.

But all of that is immaterial for now because we already knew that our whole democratic process was severely broken, and even if the top shithead isn't gonna be great, you can still put some better people in beneath him to try to bully him. We're also on a bit of a tipping point where it's technically possible that there won't even be another election after this one. It's not exactly likely, but it's possible. And if things do start going bad, they can get much much worse very fast.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

This is perfect.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I felt like Bernie and Warren were largely pretty close to each other, but what I don't get is people going from Warren all the way to Biden, who on the outset everybody said was the most conservative of the primary candidates (aside from Bloomberg's bizarre adventure), and shared very few of her views. That takes some serious broken brain, and I think for a lot of people it starts getting into the whole Bernie Bros conspiracy idea that is heavily exaggerated.

Biden pretty obviously only won the primaries because of backroom dealings to get every other non-progressive candidate to pull out from the race at the exact same time and endorse the limp corpse they had been kicking around for the earlier part of the race.

But all of that is immaterial for now because we already knew that our whole democratic process was severely broken, and even if the top shithead isn't gonna be great, you can still put some better people in beneath him to try to bully him. We're also on a bit of a tipping point where it's technically possible that there won't even be another election after this one. It's not exactly likely, but it's possible. And if things do start going bad, they can get much much worse very fast.
The Behind The Bastards podcast keeps saying stuff like this and it is moderately terrifying. I can’t think of anything I can do to make a non-violent transition more likely.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

We had an entire primary season where everyone kept going on about how women just aren't electable against Trump, it wasn't even heavily disputed (hence how we got Biden). Sanders could have argued it was a misunderstanding, saved face. He could have argued he meant that there was a lot of nervousness and reluctance from the public after 2016, but that he wasn't saying women shouldn't be in office. She didn't bring up the incident, it was brought up to her, and she kept discussion brief. But he drew hard and fast lines saying it was completely false. The only evidence that "she lied about it" was Sanders' word, but some folks immediately decided she must be lying because she's a snake hates progress.

Warren's campaign actually reached out to Sanders campaign well before Super Tuesday, saw how things were going, and offered to work together. Sanders campaign snubbed her. It was more hostile towards her campaign than to Biden's. Where is Sanders' campaign's responsibility to actually try to build a coalition or not actively undermine others trying to work with him?

Regarding nuclear waste - community members protested it due to environmental impact, but Sanders said he didn't care about it because they weren't his constituents. I will also be fair and say at least one of the activists didn't completely hate him in 2016 (decades later), but his attitude was terrible and rubbed them the wrong way. You know that if it wasn't him, we wouldn't be trying to put a positive spin on it. Career politicians have some ugly things in their past, it's a given, but he shouldn't be exempt from scrutiny.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Voters are weird, man. There were quite a few Sanders first, Biden second people too. I canvassed ahead of the primaries. I don't think voting is based on intense ideological beliefs for most people, and the belief in electability dictated so much of everyone's decision-making. They're just scared shitless. I'm voting Biden in the general, but he was nowhere near my top five. Trump has just broken my ability to even give a poo poo about Biden's flaws anymore.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yup.

Too bad the current administration literally ran on the platform of depriving most people in country of things that should be universally provided.

I kind of wish we had more emphasis on what we're going to do for in-person voting when we still don't get mail-in voting here in Texas. It's a big national priority, but the courts have hurt us here and it's such an uphill climb. I think there are ways we can do it in person safely (at least as safely as going grocery shopping), but I'm worried about the areas of the state where people resent mask-wearing more or will not wear a mask as some kind of MAGA statement.

Mistaken Frisbee fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 15, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

We had an entire primary season where everyone kept going on about how women just aren't electable against Trump, it wasn't even heavily disputed (hence how we got Biden). Sanders could have argued it was a misunderstanding, saved face. He could have argued he meant that there was a lot of nervousness and reluctance from the public after 2016, but that he wasn't saying women shouldn't be in office. She didn't bring up the incident, it was brought up to her, and she kept discussion brief. But he drew hard and fast lines saying it was completely false. The only evidence that "she lied about it" was Sanders' word, but some folks immediately decided she must be lying because she's a snake hates progress.

The only evidence it happened was her word, and I've seen video of Bernie in the loving '80s telling little schoolchildren any one of them could be president. Warren being full of poo poo is a consistent theme throughout her career, from pretending to be Native to pretending her dad was a janitor. I don't believe her for a second.

If you think Sanders could have said "Misunderstanding" and not have his campaign immediately implode, you don't know fuckall about poo poo. I don't know what else to tell you. It's laughable to think he could have survived by saying anything other than that it's totally false.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

SlothfulCobra posted:

That's because it turns out that a decent (smallish, but Loud Online) contingent of the earlier Warren Base were basically just following what Very Serious Journalists and Pundits were telling them; That she's the most progressive candidate and that the old jew is capital p Problematic and she's clearly the only person around who thinks better things are possible. Of course a massive amount of her base left as soon as she started copying the center-right candidates and backed off from M4A et al, but then those very same shitheads with extremely large platforms went on to tout Biden as being a Great Ally to Progressive Causes. Did you know that actually one of the few people in the US most responsible for black men being a third of our prison population is actually an Ally To Black Causes??? In fact, if you don't vote for him you aren't black, jack!

I can't get too mad at people for falling for multibillion dollar propaganda campaigns. Most people don't have the time, background knowledge, or energy to sort through this poo poo. It works. The people who need to be fought are the multimillion/billionaires who intentionally spread this poo poo for their own gain. Not random relatively powerless citizens.

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

Warren's campaign actually reached out to Sanders campaign well before Super Tuesday, saw how things were going, and offered to work together. Sanders campaign snubbed her. It was more hostile towards her campaign than to Biden's. Where is Sanders' campaign's responsibility to actually try to build a coalition or not actively undermine others trying to work with him?

Regarding nuclear waste - community members protested it due to environmental impact, but Sanders said he didn't care about it because they weren't his constituents. I will also be fair and say at least one of the activists didn't completely hate him in 2016 (decades later), but his attitude was terrible and rubbed them the wrong way. You know that if it wasn't him, we wouldn't be trying to put a positive spin on it. Career politicians have some ugly things in their past, it's a given, but he shouldn't be exempt from scrutiny.

Voters are weird, man. There were quite a few Sanders first, Biden second people too. I canvassed ahead of the primaries. I don't think voting is based on intense ideological beliefs for most people, and the belief in electability dictated so much of everyone's decision-making. They're just scared shitless. I'm voting Biden in the general, but he was nowhere near my top five. Trump has just broken my ability to even give a poo poo about Biden's flaws anymore.

I kind of wish we had more emphasis on what we're going to do for in-person voting when we still don't get mail-in voting here in Texas. It's a big national priority, but the courts have hurt us here and it's such an uphill climb. I think there are ways we can do it in person safely (at least as safely as going grocery shopping), but I'm worried about the areas of the state where people resent mask-wearing more or will not wear a mask as some kind of MAGA statement.

99.999999% of the " women just aren't electable against Trump" came from dumb poo poo the, by that time, known habitual liar said along with the mainstream media that was gleefully trying to tank the one guy who might mildly affect their profit margins. Heaven forbid someone worth north of a hundred mil pays a tax. It's woke if some right-wing pro-war nationalist CNN dipshit like Tapper says that the only reason Hillary didn't win is that America Is Too Sexist (which is a gallingly stupid take wrt that election to begin with), but suddenly it's Problematic if someone else that The Party doesn't endorse says the literal same thing that has been the national Party Endorsed narrative for the past 4 years. Note that the criticisms you hear from these Smart Serious Folks are literally only applicable to the left. Never once is a right winger subjected to this sort of scrutiny. Nevermind that the same dude who supposedly thinks women shouldn't be in politics was trying to get warren to run for pres in 2016.

You're spot on about Americans in general not having anything remotely resembling a coherent ideology though. It's pretty much by design. Keep people that would otherwise be 100% in agreement on policy issues at each other's throats over meaningless and/or entirely made up performative bullshit and, in the end, make them vote for the far right (biden or trump) candidate anyways. As a side benefit it's loving great for ratings. Either way, the rich already won for this election. None of us are going to see healthcare anytime soon. The police state won't be rolled back in any remotely meaningful way. Deregulation will continue on schedule. Covid will keep killing our families for the forseeable future, and we're so powerless that we're just relegated to bitching at eachother about how fashy the top office should openly be.

e:

SlothfulCobra posted:

These are all very ambitious people because they think they can be president, and there's gonna be some kind of low blows because that's what politics is, and it's hard to calibrate my brain to put these interpersonal disputes into perspective to figure out who's more wrong because it seems very tame compared to all the other headlines.

This right here is why I've found myself almost entirely tuned out of electoral politics for the past few months. We have almost every major police org in the country, red or blue, trying to position themselves as loving brownshirts. We have feds going around literally murdering people in retaliation because one of their own (some patriot prayer dipshit in the PNW) charged some dude with bear mace so he and his ilk should curbstomp him only to get shot for it, and we're supposed to give a flying gently caress about what the most senile and right wing Dem wants to do? We have a president who openly said that the people who did that were heros, and we're supposed to get all hype about the guy who loving called the cop kneeling on george floyd's neck for 8 god drat minutes "unfortunate" and then later said that maybe the cops should just shoot people in the leg? The same guy largely responsible for this bullshit? The same guy who loving wrote the legislation that would later become the Patriot Act? I know the last time I brought up that last bit about Biden calling that murder "unfortunate" is why some loving temporarily disgraced republican bought me this lovely av, but jesus -christ- we are so beyond hosed. How could any of us possibly pretend that anything these people say matters at this point?

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 15, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

These are all very ambitious people because they think they can be president, and there's gonna be some kind of low blows because that's what politics is, and it's hard to calibrate my brain to put these interpersonal disputes into perspective to figure out who's more wrong because it seems very tame compared to all the other headlines.

There's a whole thing where in theory the perfect coordinated political plays would've cut through the whole system to move everything forward much faster, but that's hard and that didn't happen so now you've got to consolidate and muddle through to make what gains you can without everything falling to pieces.

LLSix posted:

The Behind The Bastards podcast keeps saying stuff like this and it is moderately terrifying. I can’t think of anything I can do to make a non-violent transition more likely.

I wish I knew something too, but it's hard to know what'll happen 'til it happens. Best I can guess is that you should probably stay connected with as many people as possible and have a community ready for when poo poo goes down, and much more than that and you start becoming a prepper.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

The only evidence it happened was her word, and I've seen video of Bernie in the loving '80s telling little schoolchildren any one of them could be president. Warren being full of poo poo is a consistent theme throughout her career, from pretending to be Native to pretending her dad was a janitor. I don't believe her for a second.

If you think Sanders could have said "Misunderstanding" and not have his campaign immediately implode, you don't know fuckall about poo poo. I don't know what else to tell you. It's laughable to think he could have survived by saying anything other than that it's totally false.

I like how the language of maintenance worker vs. janitor has become proof she's a liar, or how she lied about being fired for being pregnant because the principal who fired her for being pregnant didn't write "FIRED FOR BEING PREGNANT, I'M SEXIST" explicitly on her papers. And again, you could argue, like everyone else, he got nervous after seeing a woman lose to Trump and believed it wasn't a good environment. There wasn't an allegation that he said women should not be president. It was closer to the same electability argument. Shortly after the whole thing happened, he effectively made that argument https://twitter.com/EmmaKinery/status/1218995235352649729/photo/2 in a broader scale way.

It doesn't benefit female candidates when they point out sexism, especially if it's highlighting the idea that "A woman can't beat Trump." All of the female candidates running were up against that argument again and again, and when the media around them is completely dominated by "are women electable?" "can a woman defeat Trump?" "will voters choose a woman again?" "I would vote for a woman, but would my neighbor?". Those questions undermined confidence in female candidates, over and over again. Biden benefited heavily from being the "electable" candidate, the candidate that wasn't necessarily someone's favorite but who they assumed other people would vote for. So I wasn't even bothered by Sanders saying it (wasn't unique to him), but the whole "women lie about sexism to get ahead and get good men in trouble" narrative here is bothersome. In reality, if you bring up sexism that happens to you, things get worse for you.

There's no universe where Warren gets ahead by drawing tons and tons of attention to the idea that she can't win because she's a woman. Acknowledging that Sanders said that (as she didn't go out of her way to release it) only either makes her look worse because we don't believe women around sexism (Hence #MeToo) or adds credibility to the idea that it's true - that women can't win against Trump. (Again, if she was going to lie about sexism, why would she pick that? Why wouldn't she have been more aggressive talking about it? It's a mainstream belief that's explainable.)

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

covidtracking.com has Texas new deaths at 0 today. I feel safe.

But for real, are our numbers actually going down in Texas or are they still bad at reporting? I just assume it's always getting worse, but it's possible that's not true.

Mistaken Frisbee fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 15, 2020

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

But for real, are our numbers actually going down in Texas or are they still bad at reporting? I just assume it's always getting worse, but it's possible that's not true.
It's bad at reporting and less people getting tested. the 0 cases is for Sunday, and the cases are always way lower Sat-Mon. because nobody's processed the tests - the reported cases have been steady at 4000+ per day on Tue-Fri. for weeks

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Idk about bio labs but weekend/nights are usually an extra charge for labwork :v:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

texas forever, street?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/BrandiKHOU/status/1305834878420779008

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

She didn't bring up the incident, it was brought up to her, and she kept discussion brief.

According to her account there were only two people there, and he obviously wasn't the one who leaked it so it had to be her.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why would anyone attend a megachurch? I never went to a church where I couldn’t call up and meet with the pastor for ministering. How do you build a tight-knit community with that many people

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao i broke up with someone when they took a weekend trip to houston to take a selfie with osteen

zoux posted:

Why would anyone attend a megachurch? I never went to a church where I couldn’t call up and meet with the pastor for ministering. How do you build a tight-knit community with that many people

church in 2020 isn't about spiritual guidance, it's about cultural affirmation

i didn't grow up in a megachurch but went to a church with the aspirations to be one, AMA including planning, funding and rival land plot offers from more aggressive churches. i think we hit ~450 people regularly at peak in 2005

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 15, 2020

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

zoux posted:

i say swears online posted:

[Mega]church in 2020 isn't about spiritual guidance, it's about cultural affirmation

It's this. Those people are going to church for very different reasons than you are.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My 93 year old grandma and 4 others up in a Marshall retirement home just got COVID so you'll have a death in about a week or so.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

church in 2020 isn't about spiritual guidance, it's about cultural affirmation

I was trying to think of a way to word this sentiment and gave up, you nailed it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i was in evangelical nondenominational churches from birth until about '04. i feel confident talking about the evolution of modern suburban christianity, the introduction of for-profit enterprises within the church, the underpaying of staff, or the constant, seamless transition of leadership into Keller Williams agents, as well as anything else y'all have to ask if you didn't grow up here

no i will not stop buying levis 527s

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

also a very interesting topic to me is the introduction of white texan/southern suburban prosperity gospel christianity exported to the rest of the world. in 2013-ish i visited about 20 churches in nigeria to get a feel for their denominations; they veered from legit charismatic to "dress well to be seen" megachurches and every one turned me off for various reasons. Several had ironclad doctrinal specifications for "first fruit", or donating your entire january paycheck in addition to the tithe. when i had several people approach me for loans on december 30 i decided to take a closer look at the prosperity gospel in west africa and wish i still had the video i took then

houston and dallas white christian culture has more an effect on nigerian christianity today than anything since the portuguese in the 15th century. it's pervasive and unrelenting

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
iirc Uganda's anti-LGBTQ crackdown was largely pushed and funded by southern evangelical churches.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

VitalSigns posted:

According to her account there were only two people there, and he obviously wasn't the one who leaked it so it had to be her.

And there is no way that either of these people talked to anyone else. Warren telling someone that "Bernie thinks it could be difficult for a woman to beat Trump" is only like 1 stage of telephone from becoming "Bernie doesn't think a woman should be president." If it were such a major issue for Warren, why would she leak it so late in primary season and not try to tank Bernie at the beginning?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

I like how the language of maintenance worker vs. janitor has become proof she's a liar

Her family went to the media to call her out on the distinction. In common usage there's a large one because maintenance labor is skilled labor that involves repairing mechanicals and janitor is unskilled.

What you quoted there is extremely different than what she said, which would have been a campaign-ender for Sanders. She looked at the only other person in the race fighting for Medicare for All and said "This guy's in my lane" and tried to knife him with some poo poo she made up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

i was in evangelical nondenominational churches from birth until about '04. i feel confident talking about the evolution of modern suburban christianity, the introduction of for-profit enterprises within the church, the underpaying of staff, or the constant, seamless transition of leadership into Keller Williams agents, as well as anything else y'all have to ask if you didn't grow up here

Well me too, but they were always small. Once they got to a certain size, they'd be riven by church politics and we'd quit going because my parents loving hate church politics. But I haven't been to an actual church service since I was 17.

The bible is pretty clear about what constitutes a "church" and how minimal and humble it can be, so it baffles me that millions of people can just ignore that and think it's fine to have insanely expensive and massive church buildings, like Jesus would be like "cool building, you're definitely getting the message". Of course I was also the christian kid who was opposed to See You at the Poll based on Matthew 6 and probably the ease at which most christians reject plain text readings of Christ's teachings is a big reason why I'm not one anymore.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

iirc Uganda's anti-LGBTQ crackdown was largely pushed and funded by southern evangelical churches.
in fact just one person from Massachusetts! i've seen lots of interplay in the grifter class, including charismatic individuals with no spiritual home in new england coming to texas to preach the good word (beto.cruz.results.png), but lively was absolutely channeling the spiritual fervor of the last three decades exemplified in the south

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
We just didn't have that many nondenominationals in my hometown in East Texas. Having the superstructure of a denomination that includes some kind of governance from higher ups seems like it puts a ceiling on how much grifting an individual pastor can get away with.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

Of course I was also the christian kid who was opposed to See You at the Poll based on Matthew 6

holy poo poo lol at leander that'd get you ostracized from both the cool kids and the cool religious kids. we didn't have many groups

my first SYATP was in '97 i think and it was a pretty powerful experience for me. then the next week the head of the YCA swallowed a goldfish for donations and i think i was done

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

We just didn't have that many nondenominationals in my hometown in East Texas. Having the superstructure of a denomination that includes some kind of governance from higher ups seems like it puts a ceiling on how much grifting an individual pastor can get away with.

the rapid growth of suburbs absolutely distorts and undermines local denominational control, for better or worse (mostly better). i can drive thirty miles east and see churches that haven't changed doctrinally or otherwise since smith wigglesworth, or even before. these are now churches that started in a basement in 1980, had the pastor run out on his opposition to a profit-making coffee shop in 1997, and now run 401k discussion groups on sunday afternoons

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

it was a pretty powerful experience for me

It's like, look here in the red words of Jesus where he specifically says not to do this. But getting in a big group and performing christianity publicly while a dude does the breathless youth pastor prayer voice and says "just" 125 time "Just afflict our hearts God, with just the love you have for us Lord, just make us just trust you God" is entirely intended to make you feel that religious feeling that people interpret as a divine presence

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oil! posted:

And there is no way that either of these people talked to anyone else. Warren telling someone that "Bernie thinks it could be difficult for a woman to beat Trump" is only like 1 stage of telephone from becoming "Bernie doesn't think a woman should be president." If it were such a major issue for Warren, why would she leak it so late in primary season and not try to tank Bernie at the beginning?

I mean I'm sympathetic to women who don't say something right away when something hosed up happens, so I don't think that alone is a reason to disbelieve her, although the timing of doing it after she fell in the polls is suspicious.

But just the claim that "she didn't bring it up, the media asked her" is absurd. Of course she brought it up, she and Bernie were the only two people in the room where it happened, and he didn't bring it up with CNN.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

Basically, most modern American christians are Pharisees

it's true! we have loving kids songs about hypocrisy and nothing permeates

my old church has a missionary attached to it by contract. she's the head of YWAM in Jordan now, but in the late 80s she used to do slide shows for us of african tribes and was the first person that got me interested in travel. she was on KVUE in like '96 publicly condemning the NATO bombings of serbia WHILE in serbia and was kinda quietly disowned after that even though she kept getting checks. Today she posted an ideologically-coherent piece about supporting the American Solidarity Party who is right-wing on social issues and left (VERY left of the dems) on economics. Not gonna criticize that, she's serious and i like her and don't feel like talking about abortion

but legit post-Bush christians are increasingly left-wing and especially pro-immigrant and I do not know how to tackle that, let alone absorb it into a movement that is okay with abortion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

The Valley reported it's first day with fewer than 100 cases for the first time since...April? Deaths are way down, too:

https://www.themonitor.com/2020/09/14/starr-county-sees-35-new-covid-cases-weekend/

Oh, and no wildfire smoke, either. Everything's coming up Norteņo...