Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Suga my balls lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Grapplejack posted:

Suga my balls lmao

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Throatwarbler posted:

The Fast & Furious franchise is successful internationally in large part because it has the most racially diverse cast of any major movie franchise by far, in addition to being generally good action movies. So obviously it's worthless schlock that must make room for the inner monologue of some white guy.
oh no a white guy. most shameful.

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020
But really I don’t care if american corporations self-censor for china

They already hosed everything up

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

To be fair hollywood has pretty thoroughly explored white male inner monologue movies over the last 100 years

then again it's also proven it has trouble handling anything else

edit: right now everything is already censored anyway, at the high level, for $. More sequels, remakes, reboots, comic book movies, etc, no new risky ideas. This is just another page in that book.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

oh whats this crap about buying cultural hegemony through hollywood is he talking about that stupid mulan movie which no one in china cared about or liked and which is literally a remake of a movie that came out a decade before anybody gave a poo poo about the chinese market

the new Dune movie is being produced by Legend Pictures, which has been owned by Dalian Wanda as of a couple years ago.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I don't follow Japan news that much, this is an analysis I read and it sound reasonable so I will paraphrase it here:

This "Suga man" guy is pretty much Abe's run-around and butler. He is a farmer's son and came from crap college. And he has no fractional base support. So Abe send him up on the stage not only because he will listen to Abe but also he likely need to do some dirty works for Abe, who represent the conservation pan-right wing interest. Because if Sugar man gets himself in a scandal or terrible poll number he can easily step down without disrupting the fractional balance inside LDP.

Now first look at what Abe was trying to do before his retirement. Abe was 1, going to launch the Olympic, 2 get Xi to visit Japan and sign some major deals, and 3 join RCEP. All these things will give Japan economy a good boost for a few years. But Corona black swam came out of nowhere and knocked Abe out of the saddle. And Abe was pushing toward the Xi visit until he realized it was not happening (due to Corona and also domestic anti China sentiment, right around the time a local government renamed Diaoyu/Senkaku island) So Abe putting Sugar man up probably because he will make Suga do something he couldn't bring himself to do.

The speculation is that after the US election, LDP will make a decision to either becoming more China friendly or choose to lean back toward US hard. A key indicator will be whether Suga visit that stupid shrine. If Suga visit that shrine, that means Japan will do more decoupling with China, probably will not get on RCEP, and will sign deal with US to host the mid range missiles.

So TLDR, more variations of old men politic in Japan.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 23:30 on Sep 14, 2020

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:31 on Mar 23, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/sovietblobfish/status/1305319837103726603

THS
Sep 15, 2017

stephenthinkpad posted:

A key indicator will be whether Suga visit that stupid shrine. If Suga visit that shrine, that means Japan will do more decoupling with China, probably will not get on RCEP, and will sign deal with US to host the mid range missiles.

if suga sees his shadow he will retreat back to his hole and there will be 100 more years of amerikkkan hegemony

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I really don't think Japan would ever lean towards China, because they hate each other

besides, japan wants to be a regional power again, and helping China works against that goal.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Grapplejack posted:

I really don't think Japan would ever lean towards China, because they hate each other

besides, japan wants to be a regional power again, and helping China works against that goal.

Yeah, Japan is ride or die. Everyone in that part of the world really doesnt like them.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/johncarlbaker/status/1305569847716319232

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
trump talking about withdrawing troops got the ed boards of wapo and bloomberg to weigh in over the summer

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-08-07/u-s-shouldn-t-withdraw-troops-from-south-korea-to-suit-trump
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...33a0_story.html

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Spergin Morlock posted:

the new Dune movie is being produced by Legend Pictures, which has been owned by Dalian Wanda as of a couple years ago.

So?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

clearly the chinese are planning to get us addicted to spice in order to take over world hegemony and by spice i mean tiktok

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/news_ntd/status/1304503977137102848?s=19

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Nice

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

according to the story the properties were seized back in the fifties and given back in 2009

the description of the properties as ancestral homes seems somewhat misleading in this context really the whole thing just begs questions why did the government give them back what were the owners doing with them the story makes it sound like they were all just running hotels

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

my question is are they just going to sell them off or demolish or just change management on those B&Bs. who wanted those people out so bad

seems like their cool architecture made them valuable as B&Bs and I wonder if they were given back as homes only

edit: or local government saw a way to make a quick buck

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 10:12 on Sep 15, 2020

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1305567441737715712

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1305811260919951362

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

"buying cultural hegemony" is that projection thing where despite 90% of Hollywood blockbusters being unsubtle propaganda for the US empire the real cultural hegemon is China for telling companies that if they want to sell in the country they have to cut back on the yellow peril poo poo.

Grapplejack posted:

The fundamental reason Japan won't pursue closer ties to China is that it's effectively a one-party state, and the one unifying policy of that party is support for US foreign policy in East Asia.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

What the hell is on the ceiling?

quote:

The fundamental reason Japan won't pursue closer ties to China is that it's effectively a one-party state, and the one unifying policy of that party is support for US foreign policy in East Asia.

Pretty much. And the physical manifestation of that policy is the shrine.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Microcline posted:

I think Japan is genuinely trying to re-establish itself in the region, hence all the recent poo poo over article 9. The US is a useful Ally for this, because China is a regional rival and Japan can play them up to get things.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Are Japan and India developing closer ties to contain China?

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Japan and India would be great becausd theyre as incompatible cultures as can possibly be.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

They're regional neighbors... for unlikely international friendships there's all sorts of precedents

https://japan-forward.com/japan-and-turkey-a-history-of-kindness/

https://www.cinemaescapist.com/2017/09/ertugrul-1890-japan-turkey-friendship/

LittleBlackCloud
Mar 5, 2007
xXI love Plum JuiceXx

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Japan and India would be great becausd theyre as incompatible cultures as can possibly be.

can you elaborate on that?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Maximo Roboto posted:

Are Japan and India developing closer ties to contain China?

They can't even figure out a railroad together.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I mean it probably helps that India is the only Asian state I can think of that Japan didn't try to forcibly colonize so there's no bad blood there, like with every other state

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Grapplejack posted:

I mean it probably helps that India is the only Asian state I can think of that Japan didn't try to forcibly colonize so there's no bad blood there, like with every other state

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azad_Hind - It was more of a puppet state, and did probably made eventual independence inevitable.

As far as Japan and Indian relations go, they will probably be closer, but there is quite standing in the way of a true alliance, including India's traditional non-alignment policy. Also, a fifth of Japanese exports go to China (a larger percentage than the US) while 1.61% go to India

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 20:50 on Sep 15, 2020

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

India's government looks awfully pushy towards China right now, though

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Maximo Roboto posted:

India's government looks awfully pushy towards China right now, though

Yeah, but it is unclear if it is a serious realignment or rooted in the fact that both India's population and economy have been devastated by COVID and Modi is looking seriously weakened and needs an enemy.

Erdogan/Trump have pretty much done the same thing.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

I think Japan is genuinely trying to re-establish itself in the region, hence all the recent poo poo over article 9. The US is a useful Ally for this, because China is a regional rival and Japan can play them up to get things.

I always thought it was the opposite. Getting rid of article 9 allows Japan to sell larger scale military involvement in the US' postcolonial ventures for favors. It's basically the crusade mechanic from ck.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/itsbirdemic/status/1305711999582695426?s=19
https://twitter.com/itsbirdemic/status/1305712022106050561?s=19

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2020/09/16/2042785/philippines-wont-pay-vaccine-reservation-fee-duterte

quote:

MANILA, Philippines — President Duterte expressed his concern on Monday about the reported pre-requisite – demanded by some pharmaceutical firms – of advance payment from countries wanting priority access once a vaccine against COVID-19 is developed in the next few months.

It is for this reason that the Chief Executive said he would give preference to China and Russia in the Philippines’ procurement of a COVID vaccine.

Duterte insinuated that with the need for advance payment, the chances are slim to get guaranteed access for countries like the Philippines. “We will give preference to Russia and China provided that their vaccine is as good as any other in the market. It could be as good as [the other companies, which I won't mention because that might be giving them free advertising],” he said.

Lashing out at western economies, Duterte said these firms are only concerned about profit while they want countries like the Philippines to “fund” their research by asking “advance payments.”

“That’s one thing wrong about the western countries… it’s all profit, profit, profit. There’s a pandemic and you say that, ‘OK we have the… we have something for sale or something to sell to you’,” he said, “And you will be happy with what you will hear, only to collapse when the next sentence is said ‘but you need to pay in advance before we can send them to you.’”

“[It's not even here yet.] Now they are asking for a reservation fee. [But they don't have it yet. They said when they've finally completed it or they've finished the trials]… but anyway it’s really… they are really on the advanced stage of the clinical trials,” Duterte said.

“There is nothing with finality, and you want us to make a reservation by depositing money, you must be crazy. Why will I abide with that style?” he said, invoking the procurement law of the Philippines which bars government agencies from buying something before they are made commercially available.

“It’s a very exacting law and you must always reckon with, you know, prosecution and going to jail. [nd why would you]...? [Why would you pay for something that doesn't exist yet]?” Duterte added.

He showed his bias anew for China and Russia, which do not seem to be demanding any pre-funding requirements.

“Now, it’s going to be like this, if the vaccine of Russia and China are equally good and effective, just like any other vaccine invented by any country, I will buy first. But then you know, I hope that the Chinese and Russian government, that when we buy, we have to go into a bidding. So the Russian and the pharmaceutical companies of China can very well join us,” he said.

Presidential spokesman Harry Roque Jr. could not identify the firms or countries which the Chief Executive was talking about.

Pressed if the President was referring to the Philippines’ participation at the Gavi COVID-19 Vaccine Facility, Roque said the government would still be participating in the alliance which is backed by the World Health Organization.

The Philippines is setting aside about P1.5-billion in advance payment to comply with the requirements of COVAX to enable the country to have guaranteed access to the vaccine once available.

COVAX is the international effort that strives to work with vaccine manufacturers in giving countries equitable access to safe, effective, licensed and approved vaccines.
No room for complacency

Duterte reiterated that the Filipino people cannot let their guard down while there is still no vaccine commercially available to us.

“We cannot be complacent. I said by December there will be some, I think, trials,” he said.

Since he ordered a lockdown in March this year, Duterte has been upfront about the country’s dwindling financial resources, but his economic managers have been harping that the Philippines’ good economic condition prior to the crisis would allow it to surpass the current challenges.

On Monday, Duterte described the Philippines as already “drifting in a seashore” when the pandemic reached the country.

“We are (drifting) aimlessly… like a ship which lost its steam… So we were drifting in a seashore then the storm came. No other country helped us,” he said.

He then recognized how China and Russia have reached out to help the country in handling the COVID-19 crisis. “But the only country that offered to help initially and said, ‘Do not worry when we invent one, we’d give you’ was Russia then China. Then China, the one good thing about China is you do not have to beg, you do not have to plead. Like in other countries, they want cash advance before they would deliver the vaccine,” he said.

If the other countries would ask for advance payments, Duterte said, then the nation will be dying in vain. “[If that’s the case, we will all die]. Every Filipino will die, I can assure you,” he said.

“Why? If we do not provide cash advance, then we will have no vaccine. If that is so, we’d rather kiss each other to make it easier for us. That’s I said one wrong with… one thing wrong with the… western companies,” he said.

You know, if China/Russia is going to offer their vaccine without trying to (nakedly) profiteer from it, that's really just America's race to lose.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
We'll be seeing a lot of vaccine diplomacy in the coming year.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1305679579890278401

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2020/09/16/2042785/philippines-wont-pay-vaccine-reservation-fee-duterte

You know, if China/Russia is going to offer their vaccine without trying to (nakedly) profiteer from it, that's really just America's race to lose.

I can’t think of anything that would hasten the decline of american credibility and geopolitics faster than this