Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Apple chargers are literally the best engineered and cleanest outputting devices of their type on the market

This.

Also neither Anker nor Aukey chargers come with cables.

So its not just an Apple thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

This.

Or at the other end; recently bought a fairly expensive Belkin Qi charge for a few things ; it came with a USB-A cable but no power brick;; guess its far easier to make for the global market this way.. also just a warning note to not use a 5W charger or minimum 10++.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

This.

Their 30W wall wort is also $16. It's less about an expectation that a charger come with a cable, and more that $30 is too much for JUST the charger.
Nobody's gonna be able to convince me there's anything special enough about any 18W charger that it should be $50 for it and a cable.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
and frankly, apple's cables have a tendency to wear out. i'm not that hard on them, especially these days with work travel gone. and they still tend to work, at least, even with they look ratty as heck. i've bought enough apple devices that came with chargers at this point; i could always use more cables than chargers

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I’ve got a lightning cable that’s been in daily use since I got my original ipad air and it’s in perfect condition. My girlfriend went through 2-3 cables per year until I bought these https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/the-ar...ct-53454262462/ (it’s been 18 months on the same cable now!) Her sneakers also seem to wear out a lot faster than mine and I’m convinced there’s a connection.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 13, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

KingEup posted:

I’ve got a lightning cable that’s been in daily use since I got my original ipad air and it’s in perfect condition. My girlfriend went through 2-3 cables per year until I bought these https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/the-ar...ct-53454262462/ (it’s been 18 months on the same cable now!) Her sneakers also seem to wear out a lot faster than mine and I’m convinced there’s a connection.

i mean, congratulations? yes. i too have ios cables that have survived longer than others. unfortunately my so is similarly cable-competent and so i cannot lord it over them.

let's talk about why you think your girlfriend is unable to use shoes properly

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

I mean, some people drag their feet when they walk, which definitely does not help with a shoes’ longevity. Or maybe she just has an aura that makes things decay near her. Is shoe rubber similar to the rubber gaskets on lightning cables? Maybe she makes rubber decay? It’s probably magic, is what I’m saying.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

KingEup posted:

My girlfriend went through 2-3 cables per year

quote:

Her sneakers also seem to wear out a lot faster

quote:

I’m convinced there’s a connection.
Better break up before she destroys you too.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SaturdayKnight posted:

I mean, some people drag their feet when they walk, which definitely does not help with a shoes’ longevity. Or maybe she just has an aura that makes things decay near her. Is shoe rubber similar to the rubber gaskets on lightning cables? Maybe she makes rubber decay? It’s probably magic, is what I’m saying.

there was a definitely a period of time in my twenties where i wondered if i somehow emitted a field that increased entropy

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I used to think I somehow killed watches, so I stopped wearing them for like 15 years. Fortunately, that seems to have done it, since my fruit watch is still going.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Who wants to create the Event Thread?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Binary Badger posted:

Who wants to create the Event Thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3940524

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
holy crap! Colors! They come in colors now!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like that blue

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

priznat posted:

I like that blue

I want the iPad Air in this color.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Legit tempted to upgrade from my 2016 pro to the new air.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm thinking this also. I want to wait for the mini-led Pros but the new blue is drat tempting.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Matt Zerella posted:

TouchID on the lock button seems like it'd be clumsy to me. Lots of putting my finger on the button to unlock but oops i pressed too hard and now I locked it again.

It seems like it'd be nice on the iPhone (or iPad Pro) as a complement to FaceID but as the only authentication method on the device I'm not too sure

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I just said this in the event thread, but wanna see new MacBooks in those iPad colors

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

OldSenileGuy posted:

TouchID on the lock button seems like it'd be clumsy to me. Lots of putting my finger on the button to unlock but oops i pressed too hard and now I locked it again.

It seems like it'd be nice on the iPhone (or iPad Pro) as a complement to FaceID but as the only authentication method on the device I'm not too sure

It would take some getting used to for sure but, id love to get that sweet new pro form factor and new pencil support. Plus my 2016's battery is not as good as it used to be.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
We have close to 10 devices that use lightning plugs and zero that use USB-C. Bleh. Hope this 10.5 Pro lasts a while.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

We have close to 10 devices that use lightning plugs and zero that use USB-C. Bleh. Hope this 10.5 Pro lasts a while.

I can't wait for the day all Apple stuff is usb c :pray:

The new Air is usb c right? Is the new base model?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

sourdough posted:

The new Air is usb c right? Is the new base model?

Air is usb-c, iPad base model is lightning.

If anyone is curious about education pricing:

iPad 32GB is $309, Base iPad 128GB is $409, iPad Air 64GB is $549.

32GB isn't enough storage anymore. Even $199 Android phones come with 64GB now.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Is the key typing on the PIN entry dialog throttled to prevent automated typing or something? I just hammered mine in, and I hear six clicks but only five digits make it, unless I'm going slower.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is the key typing on the PIN entry dialog throttled to prevent automated typing or something? I just hammered mine in, and I hear six clicks but only five digits make it, unless I'm going slower.
Happens to me constantly, I'm never sure which key in my passcode it's missing but always seems like an early one.

edit: Whoops, I mean on the iPhone, but the point still stands!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

clean the donut glaze off of your screens

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

whether bug or intentional it’s annoying as gently caress and happens constantly on my iPads

Last Chance posted:

clean the donut glaze off of your screens

ew

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

I'm planning on getting an iPad soon, and I know I want more than 64gb of storage. Since the 256gb iPad Air 4 and the 128gb iPad Pro 11" are only $50 apart, which one would be the better value?

I don't plan on using it for anything professional, mostly just goofing off, reading comics, and drawing with the Apple Pencil.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grant DaNasty posted:

I'm planning on getting an iPad soon, and I know I want more than 64gb of storage. Since the 256gb iPad Air 4 and the 128gb iPad Pro 11" are only $50 apart, which one would be the better value?

I don't plan on using it for anything professional, mostly just goofing off, reading comics, and drawing with the Apple Pencil.

Since you aren't going to go out right now I'd wait for some reviews and see how the new air stacks up against the pro. I get the feeling the Air is gonna give the pro a run for its money with the new chip.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The new iPad Air seems more complete and better than the iPad Pro in every way (for now), for me it'd be an easy decision to go for the iPad Air.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Last Chance posted:

The new iPad Air seems more complete and better than the iPad Pro in every way (for now), for me it'd be an easy decision to go for the iPad Air.

FWIW the screen on the pro is still better. For some people that could be a big deal.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Grant DaNasty posted:

The new Air has the upgraded chip. The Pro chip has two more cores but is slower and you’ll see no benefit unless you’re using it for photo processing or other extreme processor heavy things. Even then you’ll probably won’t notice.

The Pro has the slightly better screen being 120Hz but with what you’re doing it’ll be a waste. For 99.9% of the people out there it’s a waste so don’t feel you’re missing out. The Pro also has an ultra wide lens which has no use on an iPad to begin with.

The Air is the way to go.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

jabro posted:

The new Air has the upgraded chip. The Pro chip has two more cores but is slower and you’ll see no benefit unless you’re using it for photo processing or other extreme processor heavy things. Even then you’ll probably won’t notice.

The Pro has the slightly better screen being 120Hz but with what you’re doing it’ll be a waste. For 99.9% of the people out there it’s a waste so don’t feel you’re missing out. The Pro also has an ultra wide lens which has no use on an iPad to begin with.

The Air is the way to go.

Yep, the screen difference was the main thing I was wondering about. Right now I'm leaning towards the Air 4.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grant DaNasty posted:

Yep, the screen difference was the main thing I was wondering about. Right now I'm leaning towards the Air 4.

TBF if you don’t see them side by side you probably wouldn’t notice.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Grant DaNasty posted:

Unless you want the 12.9 inch screen, Air is probably the right choice.

I'm sure early 2021 is going to bring an A14X Mini-LED Pro, but you're gonna pay double.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ultrawide lenses are more useful on an ipad than an iphone because (at least, i am) more likely to take a picture of something in my house or office with an ipad because it's at hand. honestly i know this thread falls over itself to talk about how cameras on tablets are literally the stupidest thing on the planet but like usual, it's all a failure of imagination. i'm a big photo nerd and i still take pictures with my ipad almost every day.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Super loving excited to replace my iPad 7 with the 8. I picked up the 32GB version this past June and, while it's nice...I'd love more storage so I'm going for the 128GB 8th gen.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
If anyone "upgrades" from an Air2 to an iPad8 I'd appreciate hearing whether you find the screen noticeably worse/different.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

~Coxy posted:

If anyone "upgrades" from an Air2 to an iPad8 I'd appreciate hearing whether you find the screen noticeably worse/different.

fwiw, here's what apple says:

i wondered about this when they didn't mention it, but despite the cost i'm still kinda surprised the display isn't laminated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

I mean, Samsung seems to be able to poo poo out $200 tablets that have laminated displays so I’m not sure why Apple seems to be unable to (its to make the cheaper option have obvious flaws so you’ll just spend more money on the nicer one).