Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I think if Brett ended up staying Shawn would of probably ended up leaving for WCW TBH
My headcanon here is that Bret still joined WCW but they agreed he would only go after Mania

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Going back a bit to Austin/Owen piledriver chat - Owen actually does that same spot but with a standard Tombstone vs Bret at Wrestlemania 10. Undertaker wasn't actually on that card, so I assume that's why they were okay with using the regular drop-to-knees version. This version of the spot was also in the Bret vs. Benoit on Nitro (Owen tribute) match.

I always assumed Owen made a last-second adjustment and sat out when he remembered that the Tomstone was already "taken" for that night. But based on the account from Ausin posted earlier, it sounds like the decision was made ahead of time (just with some unfortunate misunderstanding surrounding it).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I don't really watch much modern wrestling and I got into a discussion elsewhere about managers and valets.

I know Vince, being Vince, hates managers just like he hates a ton of things for totally no reason. But are managers and valets an outdated concepts nobody uses in promotions anymore? That's what I was told since wrestlers are expected to be able to do their own promos nowadays and managers are very rare in any promotion, not just WWE..

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

So I don't really watch much modern wrestling and I got into a discussion elsewhere about managers and valets.

I know Vince, being Vince, hates managers just like he hates a ton of things for totally no reason. But are managers and valets an outdated concepts nobody uses in promotions anymore? That's what I was told since wrestlers are expected to be able to do their own promos nowadays and managers are very rare in any promotion, not just WWE..

AEW has a boatload of managers. Tully Blanchard managing both FTR and Shawn Spears, Jake the Snake managing Lance Archer, Arn Anderson managing Cody, Vickie Guerrero managing Nyla Rose, Leva Bates managing Peter Avalon, Kip Sabian and Penelope Ford acting as each others valets, Taz managing Brian Cage and Ricky Starks

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

literally every other promotion across all regions and genders uses valets/managers. vince does not use them because of the following reasons (which also apply to tag teams):

1) why invest multiple people into a single drawing unit when you can have them all be individuals that hypothetically all draw their own crowds on their own and therefore make vince more money? (this is dumb, acts that gel draw better together than alone, but vince)

2) diametrically opposed to the above but believed simultaneously, every group has a michaels and every group has a jannety and one is holding the other back from performing solo and making vince more money.

3) groups of people that vince depends upon to make money can then collectively bargain to make things go their way.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Even WWE hasn’t completely dropped them. Most notably, Paul Heyman has been managing Brock Lesnar, and occasionally others, for the last eight years.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Diabolik900 posted:

Even WWE hasn’t completely dropped them. Most notably, Paul Heyman has been managing Brock Lesnar, and occasionally others, for the last eight years.

ok have u heard brock lesnar's speaking voice tho

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

shiksa posted:

Why would I watch the show, Paul?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

shiksa posted:

I am UN! STOP! ABLLLLLLLE!

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Paper Lion posted:

literally every other promotion across all regions and genders uses valets/managers. vince does not use them because of the following reasons (which also apply to tag teams):

1) why invest multiple people into a single drawing unit when you can have them all be individuals that hypothetically all draw their own crowds on their own and therefore make vince more money? (this is dumb, acts that gel draw better together than alone, but vince)

2) diametrically opposed to the above but believed simultaneously, every group has a michaels and every group has a jannety and one is holding the other back from performing solo and making vince more money.

3) groups of people that vince depends upon to make money can then collectively bargain to make things go their way.

4) it’s cheaper not to fly an extra person out to the shows or pay an extra person for the show

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Davros1 posted:

Why would I watch the show, Paul?

Shine posted:

I am UN! STOP! ABLLLLLLLE!

let’s do THIS?!!!?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Am I right in thinking that Lesnar specifically requested Heyman after a month or two of returning to WWE? I remember he was given Laurinaitis at first, and he cut some disasterous promos of his own. Heyman may not be a good person but he's a great talker. I'm glad they got him back, I love him on-screen.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Yeah he apparently said “I need my Jew” or something to that effect

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Seams posted:

Yeah he apparently said “I need my Jew” or something to that effect

Classic Aryan archetype Brock Lesnar!

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Classic Aryan archetype Brock Lesnar!
One of these days, I'd love to find out the actual content of his "curse-laden outburst...[that] might make even John Rocker blush" which immediately preceded his infamous "I don't like gays" quote.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

NikkolasKing posted:

like anything else, managers are terrible when used terribly, and great when used well. Taz as manager of Team Taz is a great example of a manager being used well. He's managing two guys who can absolutely talk in their own right, so rather than talking for them he elevates their segments by giving them someone to riff with. Cage and Starks are perfectly capable of getting over on their own, but Taz helps them feel like a bigger deal and a cohesive unit.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
So this is an AEW-centric question, though it could apply to any television promotion.

Could a half-hour/hour of strictly dramatic story-line progression once a week coupled with Dynamite work, and/or has it been tried? I know Lucha Underground, or at least my impression of it, kind of coupled both within the same program. With the proliferation of "cinematic" matches, as well as BTE skirting with this (though a bit more insider-ish), I wonder if something like that could work. At the very least, I'd be a little surprised if it doesn't get tried at some point.

Or it'd be a train wreck, which, plenty of that stays on television.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I was just thinking about WWE's "the brand is the star" nonsense, and it occurred to me that you rarely hear wrestlers refer specifically to their own fans anymore. What I mean is stuff like "Hulkamaniacs" or the Rock referring to his millions AND MILLIONS of fans watching at home. Now wrestlers just love to entertain the WWE Universe and it's just another little dimension of everyone being replaceable and everything sucking.

Anyway, when is the last time a WWE wrestler referred to their own fanbase on a regular basis? I'm thinking "Cenation" (which didn't even last too long) may have been it?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

FakePoet posted:

So this is an AEW-centric question, though it could apply to any television promotion.

Could a half-hour/hour of strictly dramatic story-line progression once a week coupled with Dynamite work, and/or has it been tried? I know Lucha Underground, or at least my impression of it, kind of coupled both within the same program. With the proliferation of "cinematic" matches, as well as BTE skirting with this (though a bit more insider-ish), I wonder if something like that could work. At the very least, I'd be a little surprised if it doesn't get tried at some point.

tna had an hour-long show that was all backstage stuff with cameras catching people at a distance or people talking directly to camera and i think it was among their better executed ideas but it didnt last more than a few months

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

FakePoet posted:

I can see some merit in this (and AEW has done similar-ish things with the "road to" shows at various points). The problem you're going to run into a bit is that, at some level, people watch wrestling shows for the wrestling as well as the stories.

On the other hand I could easily imagine a workable hour long show that divided into about two thirds story progression to one third matches.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Minidust posted:

I was just thinking about WWE's "the brand is the star" nonsense, and it occurred to me that you rarely hear wrestlers refer specifically to their own fans anymore. What I mean is stuff like "Hulkamaniacs" or the Rock referring to his millions AND MILLIONS of fans watching at home. Now wrestlers just love to entertain the WWE Universe and it's just another little dimension of everyone being replaceable and everything sucking.

Anyway, when is the last time a WWE wrestler referred to their own fanbase on a regular basis? I'm thinking "Cenation" (which didn't even last too long) may have been it?

Bray having the fireflies is the most recent example I can think of but I also haven't watched WWE in years at this point.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

all the aew data to this point suggests that viewership immediately falls as soon as there isnt a match on screen so keeping it on their various youtube series is probably the right move

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I watched a Luger/Blanchard vs. Armstrongs match in the underrated thread and really enjoyed it. Realized that the Horsemen pre-Benoit/Malenko era (except Flair, obvi) is a total blind spot for me. Educate me on Arn, Tully and Sexy Lexy (and I guess Ole? I don't think I've ever seen him wrestle).

Bonus points for showing me a really good Lex match from any era. The OSW Lex series has put me all aboard the Express.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Yeah from all the information we have wrestling fans watch wrestling to see, well, wrestling: and while you need your promos and other segments to establish characters and to build up your big money matches you can't just throw it out entirely. The exception to that are your big stars who people tune in to see anyway but that's a small portion of your roster.

You mention Lucha Underground and people always bring that up as an alternative way of presenting wrestling but the thing with that is that the viewership wasn't very high and it got cancelled twice so if anything the lesson from that is that while there are some good ideas you can borrow; their overall way of doing things didn't really work.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

Managers can do more than just promo for wrestlers who aren't good at it. They can suffer comeuppance for a heel so that the heel remains strong, and they give you some options when it comes to gently caress finishes that get heat. WWE has been criticized for replacing managers with valets, who can't really do the former without the spots being either sleazy or calling to mind violence against women.

FakePoet posted:

Could a half-hour/hour of strictly dramatic story-line progression once a week coupled with Dynamite work, and/or has it been tried? I know Lucha Underground, or at least my impression of it, kind of coupled both within the same program. With the proliferation of "cinematic" matches, as well as BTE skirting with this (though a bit more insider-ish), I wonder if something like that could work.
LU's style worked for me because their vignettes felt like trailers for the matches. The style reminded me a lot of that Mortal Kombat Rebirth short film, which worked for what they were going for.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kane referring to his fans a "Kanaanites" was excellent.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Endless Mike posted:

Kane referring to his fans a "Kanaanites" was excellent.

Now I believe they're called "COVID patients"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

So what's the story behind the beef with Eddie Kingston and Chris Hero?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Davros1 posted:

So what's the story behind the beef with Eddie Kingston and Chris Hero?

I recall that Kingston thinks Hero was talking poo poo about him to promoters back in their IWA-MS days and preventing him from getting booked. Hero also got heat in CHIKARA's locker room for hooking up with Shane Storm's ex-girlfriend so that may be part of it too.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

CombineThresher posted:

I recall that Kingston thinks Hero was talking poo poo about him to promoters back in their IWA-MS days and preventing him from getting booked. Hero also got heat in CHIKARA's locker room for hooking up with Shane Storm's ex-girlfriend so that may be part of it too.

Was it Shane Storm's ex? I thought it was Eddie's old tag partner Blackjack Marciano's girlfriend? There was definitely something about him & Blackjack that helped the heat between King & Hero.

But on the other hand we got the absolutely loving bonkers Last Man Standing match between them at the 2007 TPI which was brutal & great. Eddie just muttering "I'm going to kill you motherfucker" while choking Hero is chefs kiss stuff. Or the time he's saying "give me your eyes motherfucker" as he tries to gouge them out (it might be a really hard match to watch considering the reckless chairshots & sickening dull thuds of headbutts that would make Shibata wince though)

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 15, 2020

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it's a work and i appreciate eddie even stoking the flames on talk is jericho

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I hate to reference it because David Starr is a piece of poo poo, but Eddie's interview on We The Independent distinctly gave me the impression that he and Hero basically resolved their bad blood by monetising it. They got out the actual ill feeling, then toured it in CZW, Chikara, and ROH.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

FakePoet posted:

Wrestling Society X was 30 minutes, and then they had a web-only "Dark" type show called WSXtra with less storylines and longer matches

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MorrisBae posted:

Wrestling Society X was 30 minutes, and then they had a web-only "Dark" type show called WSXtra with less storylines and longer matches

I love WSX but the question was "could it be successful" not "has it been tried on a show that extremely failed"

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Which I think could be read as an answer (both from WSX and Lucha Underground) that no, it really can't be successful because it is too far removed from wrestling as a simulated sport that is the skeleton of professional wrestling.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone know the song that RSP uses in GCW/Elayna Black uses outside of GCW? All I can find online are their earlier themes.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Wintermutant posted:

Does anyone know the song that RSP uses in GCW/Elayna Black uses outside of GCW? All I can find online are their earlier themes.

Last time I was paying attention, RSP was using Bad Rabbits - We Can Roll, and grabbing a random Elayna Black video, it's also that, so ?

I went to check Run Rickey Run and you can't hear the music over the booing of the crowd. a) MOTY, b) I miss crowds.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Deathlove posted:

Last time I was paying attention, RSP was using Bad Rabbits - We Can Roll, and grabbing a random Elayna Black video, it's also that, so ?

I went to check Run Rickey Run and you can't hear the music over the booing of the crowd. a) MOTY, b) I miss crowds.

Ha, I went to find a cleaner-sounding version of one of their entrances for you, and stumbled across one I missed before that had it noted in the description.

It's this if anyone else was curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AVRCQBc59w

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

FakePoet posted:

Could a half-hour/hour of strictly dramatic story-line progression once a week coupled with Dynamite work, and/or has it been tried?

Back in the territory days, Hawaii had a second show which was an hour of promos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oh but seriously I posted:

Back in the territory days, Hawaii had a second show which was an hour of promos

Memphis did this too, kinda, Jerry Lawler had his own show called The Jerry Lawler Show, he'd use it to promote upcoming events for the territory.

Pretty sure he also used it to interview local High School cheerleaders.