Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gaj posted:

I researched this a while ago but forgot the key terms so Im asking blind again.

Short Version: NY State. My dad bought a house from my aunt (literal neo nazi), and the house has a lot her poo poo in it. Its been 5 years. I want it gone cause shes a nazi who curses at me every time she sees me. I know I have to give her 30 days notice to remove said items before I can just start throwing them out. Whats the legalese for this? What do I google? She refuses any contact.

LONG Version: We have owned the house for 5 years. My aunt was a hoarder and has a bunch of poo poo in the house and she keeps receipts. She cannot drive, or afford movers. The house is 80~ miles away from where she lives. Shes also a Nazi, like shed be Sieging about if she could lift her arm and not fall with her walker. I want to throw out stuff like her mattress, lovely airport books, her 20 pairs of brand new Timberland boots (they are so old the soles are rotting off). She is also so hateful as to not contact use at any time, even when we found an envelope with her name on it and 10k inside. She has also sued the 3 colleges she went to, and most of her employers. I want to make recorded, legal, contact with her to notify her she has 30 days to claim her property or Imma start throwing it out.

Your dad (not you) has to hire a lawyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Gaj posted:

I mean I thought I could simply just draw up the form and leave it at her door, and then wait 2 months and start throwing her poo poo out. But yeah I guess a lawyer is needed.

The nazi derail is basically about her mental health: shes loving nuts. I dont know what will decide her response, her ill health or her batshit craziness. If she refused to contact us at the offer to repatriate 10k to her, would she sue cause we are throwing out things she will never be able to use or reposses?

you have told us that your aunt is a litigious rear end in a top hat

you want to do something your aunt will not like, that must be done properly legally speaking

so what you are telling us is, you need a lawyer: not only to do it right the first time, but to tell her to get hosed when she complains and to deal with her response

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Gaj posted:

I researched this a while ago but forgot the key terms so Im asking blind again.

Short Version: NY State. My dad bought a house from my aunt (literal neo nazi), and the house has a lot her poo poo in it. Its been 5 years. I want it gone cause shes a nazi who curses at me every time she sees me. I know I have to give her 30 days notice to remove said items before I can just start throwing them out. Whats the legalese for this? What do I google? She refuses any contact.

LONG Version: We have owned the house for 5 years. My aunt was a hoarder and has a bunch of poo poo in the house and she keeps receipts. She cannot drive, or afford movers. The house is 80~ miles away from where she lives. Shes also a Nazi, like shed be Sieging about if she could lift her arm and not fall with her walker. I want to throw out stuff like her mattress, lovely airport books, her 20 pairs of brand new Timberland boots (they are so old the soles are rotting off). She is also so hateful as to not contact use at any time, even when we found an envelope with her name on it and 10k inside. She has also sued the 3 colleges she went to, and most of her employers. I want to make recorded, legal, contact with her to notify her she has 30 days to claim her property or Imma start throwing it out.

i think it'd take more than 10k to get me to come visit too, op. anyways everyone else is wrong, her being a nazi is extremely relevant. there's a special organization to deal with cases like this: the International Criminal Court, located in the Netherlands.

https://www.icc-cpi.int/contact
here's some contact information to get you started, you don't need a lawyer just hit em up. good luck

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The dad needs the lawyer not goon poster

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Someone get the dad a forums account

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If I'm in a two party state but the person I'm telephoning is in a one party state can I legally record them?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Also same question except instead of a telephone call it is a Chaturbate Private Show

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

bird with big dick posted:

Also same question except instead of a telephone call it is a Chaturbate Private Show

Depends on whether it's a blond

This is a gold fringe joke.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

In NY state. I'm trying to help some people understand issues related to operating a "pandemic pod". By “pod” I mean a group of children working through online school material together ie not homeschooling or private schooling. As mentioned in the insurance thread I think in-person pods are a super bad idea right now due to infection risk and not something I'd participate in myself.

One possible pod configuration would be a few children + caregiver meeting in a house not owned by any of the pod parents. However the owner of the house wants to make sure they don't have to pay anyone's medical costs from pod-related accidents etc.

The questions:
-is it possible for the owner and pod organizers (who are employing the caregiver) to sign an agreement or contract stating that the pod organizers would pay for any costs the owner might incur by allowing the pod to operate in their house? For example if the caregiver has an accident and successfully sues the owner, can the agreement require the pod organizers to pay for the damages?
-if such an agreement is possible in principle, what kind of lawyer would be required to draft it?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Nocturtle posted:

In NY state. I'm trying to help some people understand issues related to operating a "pandemic pod". By “pod” I mean a group of children working through online school material together ie not homeschooling or private schooling. As mentioned in the insurance thread I think in-person pods are a super bad idea right now due to infection risk and not something I'd participate in myself.

One possible pod configuration would be a few children + caregiver meeting in a house not owned by any of the pod parents. However the owner of the house wants to make sure they don't have to pay anyone's medical costs from pod-related accidents etc.

The questions:
-is it possible for the owner and pod organizers (who are employing the caregiver) to sign an agreement or contract stating that the pod organizers would pay for any costs the owner might incur by allowing the pod to operate in their house? For example if the caregiver has an accident and successfully sues the owner, can the agreement require the pod organizers to pay for the damages?
-if such an agreement is possible in principle, what kind of lawyer would be required to draft it?

You want a firm that has a civil litigation department, and also a family law department.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Nocturtle posted:

The questions:

Lol. You know the answer to this. Go get/talk to a lawyer. People can sign any kind of dumb agreement they want, but whether it's enforceable or not is definitely a legal question and it's one that, here, carries enough variable and specific risk that it's impossible to speculate about online.

As for what kind of lawyer? Dunno, but ask a few if they'd be willing to draft one. I'd probably look for somebody that does either healthcare or general transactional work, but this is such a weird case that it might be tricky to find a lawyer with experience in it.

An easy rule of thumb for finding a lawyer is to find the richest person you know, ask them who their lawyer is, and ask that lawyer for a referral.

efb; yeah, a family lawyer is probably also a good idea.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Arcturas posted:

Lol. You know the answer to this. Go get/talk to a lawyer. People can sign any kind of dumb agreement they want, but whether it's enforceable or not is definitely a legal question and it's one that, here, carries enough variable and specific risk that it's impossible to speculate about online.
Yes, my question is mainly what kind of lawyer. There's a lot of them! Though would be good to know if people think that arrangement is completely unworkable from the get-go.

blarzgh posted:

You want a firm that has a civil litigation department, and also a family law department.
Thanks!

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
This is weird. Long ago I got a firstname.lastname gmail address. I have a pretty common name. About five years ago, a retired judge wanted my email address. He sent a few emails, I read one and just ignored the rest. I guess during his retirement, he does arbitration. I got sent some legal docs. Didn't look at them. Didn't open them. But I did sent a message that they had sent the docs to the wrong person. That has triggered an avalanche of legal/personal threats. Stuff like threatening to sue me and have people beat me up. I'm thinking this dude is just an old cranky boomer with too much free time. Is this something consulting with a lawyer might help with? And if so, what kind. Or am I just kinda stuck writing more and more rules in gmail till the guy crokes?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nocturtle posted:

The questions:

my sister operated a daycare for infants out of her home for years, in california
she was required by the state to carry a hefty insurance policy. Whether or not those pods are legal at all is not something I'm going to speculate about, and you should also definitely talk to a lawyer, but: for gently caress's sake, get liability insurance, because nobody is going to want to be on the hook for the potentially catastrophic cost potential of even a minor injury, much less a covid-related death.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Thomamelas posted:

This is weird. Long ago I got a firstname.lastname gmail address. I have a pretty common name. About five years ago, a retired judge wanted my email address. He sent a few emails, I read one and just ignored the rest. I guess during his retirement, he does arbitration. I got sent some legal docs. Didn't look at them. Didn't open them. But I did sent a message that they had sent the docs to the wrong person. That has triggered an avalanche of legal/personal threats. Stuff like threatening to sue me and have people beat me up. I'm thinking this dude is just an old cranky boomer with too much free time. Is this something consulting with a lawyer might help with? And if so, what kind. Or am I just kinda stuck writing more and more rules in gmail till the guy crokes?

I don’t know how you could be liable for anything for having an email address, refusing to give it to someone else, and immediately notifying a sender if the sent you things meant for someone else.

The legal docs weren’t lawsuits directed to you right? Is the judge the one threatening you? If so I would say yes get a lawyer to send them a “gently caress off rear end in a top hat” letter.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

my sister operated a daycare for infants out of her home for years, in california
she was required by the state to carry a hefty insurance policy. Whether or not those pods are legal at all is not something I'm going to speculate about, and you should also definitely talk to a lawyer, but: for gently caress's sake, get liability insurance, because nobody is going to want to be on the hook for the potentially catastrophic cost potential of even a minor injury, much less a covid-related death.

I want to be very clear that I personally think it's super dumb to organize a pod due to COVID-infection reasons alone, and feel super uneasy about even helping these people understand how to go about organizing one. OTOH it might keep their kid out of public in-person school. I agree with your point about the need for whoever actually hosts the thing to have sufficient liability insurance, and the more I learn about the insurance and legal issues the worse an idea the whole thing sounds. Apparently pods are legal in New York, although that wasn't really my question and a lawyer would definitely need to be consulted in any case.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I don’t know how you could be liable for anything for having an email address, refusing to give it to someone else, and immediately notifying a sender if the sent you things meant for someone else.

The legal docs weren’t lawsuits directed to you right? Is the judge the one threatening you? If so I would say yes get a lawyer to send them a “gently caress off rear end in a top hat” letter.

I opened the email, realized it seem to be communication between an arbitrator and someone in the case, and closed it and sent them a heads up. The judge is threatening me. So it sounds like any lawyer can do that kind of letter? If so, I'll just find someone nearby.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I mean I don’t know what you could possibly have to worry about. Don’t feel like you need to spend any money on a lawyer. Guy sounds like a douche, I would just be polite in a single email and ignore everything else.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I too have a (firstname).(lastname) gmail account and over the years of receiving many of my many many gmail doppelgangers emails I've learned to never reveal to them that I exist. Every single one has responded poorly to finding out their "personal" correspondence were accidentally sent to me, and they always believe it's somehow my fault for "stealing" their email.

Fake edit: Most of the emails are boring, some are account verifications, one fellow has been sending his Amazon order receipts to me for close to 7 years, but the absolute winner was the guy having an affair with his female co-worker who was inexplicably sending all her replies to my address instead of his. That's the kind of poop you never touch.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Zebra posted:

, but the absolute winner was the guy having an affair with his female co-worker who was inexplicably sending all her replies to my address instead of his. That's the kind of poop you never touch.

Oooh, spicy.

Throat Warbler, I can hear your call to action...

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Thomamelas posted:

I opened the email, realized it seem to be communication between an arbitrator and someone in the case, and closed it and sent them a heads up.

For unsolicited email: hit delete, add sender to block list, move on with life.

It's like unsolicited real mail. If it's not addressed to you, you're not technically allowed to pitch it in the trash, but you write "return to sender, not at this address" on the front and you're done.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I've always wondered this.. on a general judgement, if it states that one party shall continue to maintain appropriate health insurance for the parties' children, does that include vision and dental too? More curious than anything as vision and dental are generally referenced separately from "health insurance" and the ambiguity of "health" seems up for debate. Of course this is all hypothetical.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I too have a (firstname).(lastname) gmail account and over the years of receiving many of my many many gmail doppelgangers emails I've learned to never reveal to them that I exist. Every single one has responded poorly to finding out their "personal" correspondence were accidentally sent to me, and they always believe it's somehow my fault for "stealing" their email.

I have a (firstname).(lastname) yahoo account and people have responded better than that. Most recently I helped a sports journalist not gently caress up his press pass to a baseball game.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Fake edit: Most of the emails are boring, some are account verifications, one fellow has been sending his Amazon order receipts to me for close to 7 years, but the absolute winner was the guy having an affair with his female co-worker who was inexplicably sending all her replies to my address instead of his. That's the kind of poop you never touch.

Post the loving emails

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Let us roll in the poop post the emails

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Don't you come here with emails and not post em, don't you do that to us!

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

It would be literally ILLEGAL not to post the emails

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Haha, it's late at night and my decision making is pretty bad right now, so I probably would if I still had them, but that was easily 6 years ago and I usually delete my doppelganger emails after awhile because it feels kind of scummy to keep them around when they contain personal information. Those particular emails (there were only really 5) also easily led to the two people's real identification in the company they worked for and the dude's Facebook, which was public, so I really felt scummy even knowing that much and deleted them after showing them to my wife so she wouldn't randomly look at my email and misinterpret emails coming from a woman using my first name talking about how to gently caress around on the next business trip.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

...crucify him.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

My given name is an old lady name and my maiden name was fairly uncommon. However, I get more than my share of misdirected email since the only women who share my name are from my grandparents' generation.

I get a regular newsletter from a hippie artist in New Zealand, kiwi AAA account updates, and ticket confirmations/home improvement invoices from two or three women in the states. I've actually spoken to a couple of them over the phone when their contractors sent detailed info to my address and they were all appreciative. Plus it's kind of fun to speak to people who share your uncommon name.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Haha, it's late at night and my decision making is pretty bad right now, so I probably would if I still had them, but that was easily 6 years ago and I usually delete my doppelganger emails after awhile because it feels kind of scummy to keep them around when they contain personal information. Those particular emails (there were only really 5) also easily led to the two people's real identification in the company they worked for and the dude's Facebook, which was public, so I really felt scummy even knowing that much and deleted them after showing them to my wife so she wouldn't randomly look at my email and misinterpret emails coming from a woman using my first name talking about how to gently caress around on the next business trip.

My disappointment in you is immeasurable, and you are hereby dis-invited to my christmas party

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Hahaha, idiots, my name has never existed before and may never again!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Anyone with my name is directly related to me.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Some dude in Florida keeps using my email to sign up for lovely dating sites (think Plenty of Fish, and apparently worse). Usually just file them as spam. Also got a car loan application for him, which I did inform that it was the wrong email.

MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT
I have a gmail address that isn't a name (it's just this username at gmail) and I still get misdirected e-mails all the time. A lot of times it's game accounts and things like that so I just log in, recover the password and change it. There's only been once or twice that there seemed to be actual money involved in which case I replied and told them it wasn't me. I'll inconvenience people signing up for free web games but if it's actual real world impact I try not to be too big a dick about it.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

thehoodie posted:

Some dude in Florida keeps using my email to sign up for lovely dating sites (think Plenty of Fish, and apparently worse). Usually just file them as spam. Also got a car loan application for him, which I did inform that it was the wrong email.

Haha, that reminds me of the guy who signed up using my email for "Farmeronly.com" a dating site specifically for farmers, ranchers, cowboys/girls, etc.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Haha, that reminds me of the guy who signed up using my email for "Farmeronly.com" a dating site specifically for farmers, ranchers, cowboys/girls, etc.

The first incarnation of the site, Whitesonly.com, was declared a hate group by the SPLC, so they created Farmers Only

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Devor posted:

The first incarnation of the site, Whitesonly.com, was declared a hate group by the SPLC, so they created Farmers Only

Incredible

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Anonymous Zebra posted:

this is incredible deep cover for your philandering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

owlhawk911 posted:

this is incredible deep cover for your philandering

I would have gotten away with it too, if not for 23andMe revealing all my secret love children!