Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Yeah but the quote was from Leto. Like I earlier, I feel that it is more bad pop psychology than anything else, I don't know where the APA was on Homosexuality in 1981 but it was in the DSM as a disorder for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Just imagine the Josh Brolin funkopop

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ldrinkh20/status/1305323582818603009?s=20

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

exmachina posted:

Yeah but the quote was from Leto. Like I earlier, I feel that it is more bad pop psychology than anything else, I don't know where the APA was on Homosexuality in 1981 but it was in the DSM as a disorder for a long time.

leto is literally a god-tyrant who says a lot of heinous poo poo, unless you think herbert was also advocating for tyranny as a means to an end

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Horizon Burning posted:

leto is literally a god-tyrant who says a lot of heinous poo poo, unless you think herbert was also advocating for tyranny as a means to an end

Yeah but Leto is literally omniscient and was being ernest when he said that.

Look, demonising people for having opinions that are bad in a modern context is counterproductive. Homosexuality was still illegal in almost every country in 1981. I would like to think he would think differently if he wrote these books today but I can't bring myself to have him cancelled for having a reasonably liberal opininion in 1981 (Homosexuality is not a sin against God and Man, but sublimated trauma a la PTSD)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Koirhor posted:

Just imagine the Josh Brolin funkopop

Sun burned taint

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

i’m disappointed that they didn’t follow through

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TK-42-1 posted:

:same:

Like, they didn’t have to go completely all out but even just a little effort would have been good.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Immigration actually named him Paul Caladan, after his hometown.

exmachina posted:

Don't forget to give the spice prospectors an ornithopter

Thanks for the advice! I look forward to meeting my end many a time in the harsh environs of DUNC.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
For context, here is the entire conversation about Homosexuality. I misremembered: It is Moneo reporting Leto's views, not Leto himself.

quote:

Moneo smiled. “We’ve had some practice. Now, about your question.” [Why are there no men in Leto's army?]

“And Leto’s curious theory.”

“Yes. He says that the all-male army was too dangerous to its civilian support base.”

“That’s crazy! Without the army there would’ve been no …”

“I know the argument. But he says that the male army was a survival of the screening function delegated to the non-breeding males in the prehistoric pack. He says it was a curiously consistent fact that it was always the older males who sent the younger males into battle.”

“What does that mean, screening function?”

“The ones who were always out on the dangerous perimeter protecting the core of breeding males, females and the young. The ones who first encountered the predator.”

“How is that dangerous to the … civilians?”

Idaho took a bite of the melon, found it ripened perfectly.

“The Lord Leto says that when it was denied an external enemy, the all-male army always turned against its own population. Always.”

“Contending for the females?”

“Perhaps. He obviously does not believe, however, that it was that simple.”

“I don’t find this a curious theory.”

“You have not heard all of it.”

“There’s more?”

“Oh, yes. He says that the all-male army has a strong tendency toward homosexual activities.”

Idaho glared across the table at Moneo. “I never …”

“Of course not. He is speaking about sublimation, about. deflected energies and all the rest of it.”

“The rest of what?” Idaho was prickly with anger at what he saw as an attack on his male self-image.

“Adolescent attitudes, just boys together, jokes designed purely to cause pain, loyalty only to your pack-mates … things of that nature.”

Idaho spoke coldly. “What’s your opinion?”

“I remind myself …” Moneo turned and spoke while looking out at the view. “… of something which he has said and which I am sure is true. He is every soldier in human history. He offered to parade for me a series of examples—famous military figures who were frozen in adolescence. I declined the offer. I have read my history with care and have recognized this characteristic for myself.”

Moneo turned and looked directly into Idaho’s eyes.

“Think about it, Commander.”

Idaho prided himself on self-honesty and this hit him. Cults of youth and adolescence preserved in the military? It had the ring of truth. There were examples in his own experience …

Moneo nodded. “The homosexual, latent or otherwise, who maintains that condition for reasons which could be called purely psychological, tends to indulge in pain-causing behaviour—seeking it for himself and inflicting it upon others. Lord Leto says this goes back to the testing behaviour in the prehistoric pack.”

“You believe him?”

“I do.”

Now to me, it seems that Leto is talking about the specific homosexual behaivour that occurs in male-only spaces: a modern example could be "prisongay". "That condition" he refers to I think is the "frozen adolescence," not homosexuality. I am not gay though, and don't want to talk about a subject that I don't authentically understand. I just wanted to provide a little context.

exmachina fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 15, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it's definitely homophobic but he (leto) doesn't seem to be saying that homosexuality is itself the problem or even A problem

Idaho is the one threatened by the implications.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

exmachina posted:

Yeah but Leto is literally omniscient

He's not

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
there's also the bit where duncan rails about it and moneo tells him to get with the times grandpa

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
No, no, this is too much context, we just need to flip the table and be done with it.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

What is omniscience if not prescience combined with near-complete knowledge, intimate knowledge, of almost every human that ever lived?

exmachina fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 15, 2020

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I think the distinction is that being able to see anything isn't the same as seeing everything.

Didn't Leto himself compare it to one's normal vision being obscured by the terrain?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Horizon Burning posted:

Frank definitely had Theories about gay suicide commandos, the hero in the dosadi experiment talks about it.

my guess has always been that herbert looked at the high suicide rates for gay people and decided it was some kind of jungian eros/thanatos thing rather than, idk, life being kind of poop if society hates you for what you are, but I don't have a lot of backing for that other than that mention and some suppositions.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
e: n/m i should read posts

Eau de MacGowan fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 15, 2020

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

sebmojo posted:

I played dune 2 on the Amiga and it had big swelling synth chords for a soundtrack, I loved it.never been able to find a recording of it.

Here you go, all the Westwood Dune game soundtracks (Dune II, 2000, Emperor) are on his website:

https://www.frankklepacki.com/listen/soundtracks

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Conflation of BDSM and homosexuality was pretty normal at the time. And today come to think of it.

Like go look at how Lawrence is portrayed in the movie about him. I really don't think it goes much farther than that.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

I am listening to the audiobook and just arrived to that conversation when the new duncan ghola arrives and meets Moneo and holy poo poo its an extremely outdated and downright terrible way to express a certain point (males go really rapey on each other when left to their own devices).Only being EXTREMELY generous with the meaning can you be okay with it.

I wasn't expecting that.I can only imagine the depths of the weird horniness awaiting for me.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Sep 15, 2020

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I approach God Emperor's commentary on sexuality like this:

Leto II is, thinly, Herbert, I think. At least, sometimes he is. It's hard to say that he always is. This book started life as a monologue, from Leto, and it probably had a lot more of Herbert's voice in it in that form? But sometimes it feels like Herbert talked to "experts" of his time, and had his own ideas extrapolated from notions that prevailed at a time when non-standard sexuality and gender identity was widely seen as a perverse pathology.

I think Herbert has some pretty serious contempt for Idaho's take on these things, and it really feels like Moneo is really, extremely set up to make Duncan look like a loving doofus out of time, and his hostile views towards homosexuality are noted as primitive.

But it's still not remotely kosher in 2020 and I wasn't thrilled when I read it, I can give Frank the pass of "if he had called a psychiatrist in the year he wrote this book, this would probably be close to what would go in his ear". He stood no chance of saying anything that'd feel appropriate today.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 15, 2020

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Folks, it sure was great calling things gay up until 2010. Shame about that dastardly Frank Herbert that just had to write down his views on homosexuality 50 years ago.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

TK-42-1 posted:

This hurt me

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Folks, it sure was great calling things gay up until 2010. Shame about that dastardly Frank Herbert that just had to write down his views on homosexuality 50 years ago.

Leto II: "i'm gay"

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

worm gay, so what

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Be gay, do golden path.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Holding your cum for 3000 years to ejaculate on the galaxy.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Galewolf posted:

Holding your cum for 3000 years to ejaculate on the galaxy.

Baron Harkonnen in his hover whitey-tighties "The cum must flow!!!"

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Conflation of BDSM and homosexuality was pretty normal at the time. And today come to think of it.

Like go look at how Lawrence is portrayed in the movie about him. I really don't think it goes much farther than that.

Oooh, yeah, there's also the part in Seven Pillars of Wisdom where Lawrence ends his description of gay sex among the Arab recruits with a line about how some of them need to be hurt physically while boning. Considering all the Lawrence (and Alexander the Great) in Paul, it's kind of interesting that it's the Harkonnens that engage in homosexuality and all the weird warrior sex pop-psych stuff.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

No Pants posted:

Oooh, yeah, there's also the part in Seven Pillars of Wisdom where Lawrence ends his description of gay sex among the Arab recruits with a line about how some of them need to be hurt physically while boning. Considering all the Lawrence (and Alexander the Great) in Paul, it's kind of interesting that it's the Harkonnens that engage in homosexuality and all the weird warrior sex pop-psych stuff.

Leto II does, he's more like old grandpa Harkonnen than paul.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I am not sure why Frank seems to think a 9 year old that can direct a battle has to be ride on a nun's shoulders? He is 9 and he has the memories of a 300 year old mentat. He can walk

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Ingmar terdman posted:

I am not sure why Frank seems to think a 9 year old that can direct a battle has to be ride on a nun's shoulders? He is 9 and he has the memories of a 300 year old mentat. He can walk

Is that after God Emperor? I only read that far but that sounds amazing

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Shoehead posted:

Is that after God Emperor? I only read that far but that sounds amazing

He unlocks a new level of rear end-kicking in heretics that requires him to recharge by eating a lot of soup. When they awaken his ghola in chapterhouse he also needs soup

e:

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 15, 2020

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

That's Miles "Prower" Teg.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Teg Gets Trolled

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Finished chapterhouse, here is my ranking

Dune
(a lot of space)
Messiah
God Emperor
Children/Heretics (near tie with an edge to Children)
Chapterhouse

Too bad Frank didn't finish, and too bad no one ever wrote another word in this series. It's complete because it's ended here.

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 16, 2020

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

Ingmar terdman posted:

To keep him in submission. He commands, but only by the grace of the sisters

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

sebmojo posted:

Frank definitely had Theories about gay suicide commandos, the hero in the dosadi experiment talks about it.

my guess has always been that herbert looked at the high suicide rates for gay people and decided it was some kind of jungian eros/thanatos thing rather than, idk, life being kind of poop if society hates you for what you are, but I don't have a lot of backing for that other than that mention and some suppositions.

https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-7653-0646-3

he wasn't big on gay people esp his son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
My favorite part in chapterhouse is the lazy naked dude sunbathing that Sheeana decides not to report because game recognizes game.