Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They pretty comprehensively screwed up everything on the cultural side of things (as well as everything in general); not only written by committee, but clearly by boomers who know less about Asia than your average weeb who's seen Dragon Ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Memento posted:

In the original Mulan: "If I work really hard to keep up with the guys I can make sure my father doesn't have to go to war and fight! Hard work means you can achieve the things you want in life!"

In the remake: "Hey isn't it cool I'm literally magic? Just be born lucky, everything will work out!"

With greatest thanks to our genocidal hosts.

Should have made her like the original Mulan from literary sources, where she's a girl who is just into swords and other war stuff so when she disguises herself as a man and join the army, she doesn't hide it from her parents because they know she at least have the combat stuff covered. And when she is exposed as woman, the army is cool with it because they already saw her being badass. Then she returns home and marries her neighbour and becomes a housewife for life (your mileage may vary on that ending).

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Aladdin fuckin sucked poo poo. I'd rather they had left out the songs, they did such a bad job on them. The singing sucked, the choreography sucked, nobody had any chemistry at all and it goes without saying, but Will Smith is no loving Robin Williams

The one good idea they had was giving Jasmine a song, that was something that felt like it was missing in the original. But they made it sound exactly like Let It Go and it did not fit into the soundtrack at all.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Did the cartoon version do well in China?

I don't remember any of my kids giving even half a poo poo about it when I was there. But that could well be because they were born nearly half a decade after it was made, and it was never one of the Big Disney movies.

Cartoon Mulan was also panned in China. There were individual specific objections like the Eddie Murphy dragon, but the overall issue was just that their attempts to Americanize the Chinese fable made it ring false to the Chinese audience; as I understand it American audiences are big on the individual's journey for themselves, while China's historically been more into the individual's journey to uplift the family and/or community, and while China's certainly very happy to consume American stories, they don't take kindly to you loving up the values important to Chinese stories.

Mulan's apparently big among Asian immigrant families to English-speaking countries, though (especially China, of course). That mashup of Asian story and western sensibilities really let it find a home there.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You know what movie actually embraced Chinese mythology and cultural values and became a big hit there?

It's got everything. The national animal, the national sport, and the central conflict is ultimately the internal struggle between Confucianism and Taoism.

Wu Jiang, President of the Peking Opera Company posted:

The film's protagonist is China's national treasure and all the elements are Chinese, but why didn't we make such a film?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
This is how the main bad guy dies at the end of the new live action Mulan. Spoilers if you, uh, care about seeing that movie? But this is real. It's not fake. I want to stress that before you click.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

(GRUNTING)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Roblo posted:

It's also apparently a poo poo, unnneeded remake.

I feel as though all the recent live action remakes of classic Disney films probably fall under that category. In the before times (this past January) I watched live action Lion King with friends. It was fine, but I'd rather just see the original, which is nostalgic for me.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I feel as though all the recent live action remakes of classic Disney films probably fall under that category. In the before times (this past January) I watched live action Lion King with friends. It was fine, but I'd rather just see the original, which is nostalgic for me.

They're all just made to keep the copy-writes (or trademarks or whatever idk I'm dumb) within Disney, aren't they? I mean cash grabs also sure but I thought the main thing was that it keeps the properties owned by Disney

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This is how the main bad guy dies at the end of the new live action Mulan. Spoilers if you, uh, care about seeing that movie? But this is real. It's not fake. I want to stress that before you click.

Was this movie made on a budget of “we found some change in the couch cushions”? That looks cheap as hell.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They should pull a switcheroo and make a Mighty Ducks cartoon remake!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's not the worst idea I've heard for a live action remake.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Joey Freshwater posted:

They're all just made to keep the copy-writes (or trademarks or whatever idk I'm dumb) within Disney, aren't they? I mean cash grabs also sure but I thought the main thing was that it keeps the properties owned by Disney

When Disney wants to extend copyrights, they'll just pay politicians to do it.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

RandomFerret posted:

Aladdin fuckin sucked poo poo. I'd rather they had left out the songs, they did such a bad job on them. The singing sucked, the choreography sucked, nobody had any chemistry at all and it goes without saying, but Will Smith is no loving Robin Williams

The one good idea they had was giving Jasmine a song, that was something that felt like it was missing in the original. But they made it sound exactly like Let It Go and it did not fit into the soundtrack at all.

I love Alan Menken to death, but ooof that song.

"I'm going to stand up and be heard" is a great sentiment that immediately crashes and burns because a) she's singing a song in her head that no one can hear, b) she uses her newfound confidence to beg a man to let them go.

Let It Go was poppy theater-bait, but at least it had an empowering message about being yourself and not hiding your strengths.

E: the Aladdin stage musical does a lot more with Jasmine, and I highly recommend it even if you don't have kids. They make a lot of good changes, including giving Aladdin friends who are infinitely more interesting than him.

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 16:42 on Sep 15, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/MKUltraJCDenton/status/1305180875915776006

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

hyperhazard posted:

"I'm going to stand up and be heard" is a great sentiment that immediately crashes and burns because a) she's singing a song in her head that no one can hear, b) she uses her newfound confidence to beg a man to let them go.

Let It Go was poppy theater-bait, but at least it had an empowering message about being yourself and not hiding your strengths.

Let It Go had the same problem.

Powerful ballad about being yourself and not hiding who you are, sung by someone who is actively running away from all she knows and voluntarily exiling herself from where she grew up because her differences make her dangerous.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

AFewBricksShy posted:

Let It Go had the same problem.

Powerful ballad about being yourself and not hiding who you are, sung by someone who is actively running away from all she knows and voluntarily exiling herself from where she grew up because her differences make her dangerous.

Ok, good point.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Disney movies are made so little kids will sing the songs in cars. I don't think super deep meanings are necessarily in their wheelhouse.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Solice Kirsk posted:

IIRC it's actually a slight issue that the real world team owns the rights to the main character, Wildwing Flashblade.

(I had an inordinate love for that show as a kid, the reasons for which, your guess is as good as mine)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Mighty Ducks is a great little kid sports movie. I'd put it right up there with The Sandlot.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Schubalts posted:

When Disney wants to extend copyrights, they'll just pay politicians to do it.

The internet might not have made this one so easy anymore, actually. Not so much because they can't do it (they totally can), but more because they can't really get away with it without backlash anymore. General awareness of the situation is much higher, and social media means that a negative response to that would be... fairly substantial. It's likely the reason why this year was the first time in decades that media's actually entered the public domain, Disney don't seem as willing to pursue an extension.

Of course, they've got a few years to change their mind on that one; under current laws, Steamboat Willie enters public domain in 2024, and that feels like what they've always been scared of.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Joey Freshwater posted:

I mean steamboat willie still isnt public domain so 90s renaissance cartoons certainly aren't.. They're cash grabs because they actually do sell tickets (Mulan not withstanding but well, you know) and 2D animation isn't as popular with younger kids so a live action remake is an (almost) guaranteed hit on an old concept.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Regarding Mulan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3QKq24e0HM

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The whole "need to make something quick to keep the trademark" thing really only applies if you're holding the license to something created by another person, and the rights will revert if you don't do anything with it. The awful Fantastic 4 movie from 2015, Hellraiser: Revelations, and The Bourne Legacy are all examples of films that were poo poo out at the last minute because otherwise the rights for those characters would revert to the original creator (or Ludlum's estate since he died). Disney is making these stories off public domain characters, which means there's no risk of the copyright on the Renaissance-era films expiring until long after everyone alive now is dead.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Disney does, however, love the fact that we consider those to be "disney characters" and I have no doubt they would spend hundreds of millions of dollars to keep subsequent generations thinking the same way

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

I had a job where I had to do lots and lots of research via google for products and was assigned condoms and dog food at the same time and my ads became wild

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
You can look up what the Google algorithm thinks your demographics/wants are in one of the settings menus. You used to be able to do it with Facebook too, but not sure if that is still the case.

I never input any personal information, based on my searches/websites logged into through my Google account, Google thought I was:

- 25-45
- Male or Female
- In the United States
- In Eastern or Pacific timezone
- Had an income between $40,000 and $80,000
- Was a renter
- Had a college degree or higher
- Interested in comedy, sports, news, word processing, digital entertainment, travel, healthcare, dating, marriage, learning foreign languages, soccer, football, prestige television, situation comedies, mathematics, and internet commerce.

Probably 60% accurate. Depending on how you count it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I turned all that poo poo off asap, which means they definitely still collect that info and sell it, they just don't show it to me anymore. Like I believe their one-hand-mysteriously-behind-back pinkie swear that they won't collect any data on me if I just say I don't want them to.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Was the bad guy a motherfucker who tried to iceskate uphill?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CJacobs posted:

I turned all that poo poo off asap, which means they definitely still collect that info and sell it, they just don't show it to me anymore. Like I believe their one-hand-mysteriously-behind-back pinkie swear that they won't collect any data on me if I just say I don't want them to.

Don't be ridiculous, that would be super illegal for them to do. :mrgw:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I just checked my Google algorithm information again and google now thinks I am a married man between 35-44 years old and upper middle class.

No idea what I've been searching for that was much older, married, richer, and male than I was before.

It also downgraded its guess of my education from "Advanced Degree" to "Bachelor's Degree," so Google thinks I have become less educated.

Google also thinks I have really gotten into cats, greeting cards (???), flowers, and classical music in the last year.

For a multi-billion dollar algorithm and advertising/marketing giant, this seems really broad and has quite a few misses.

Leon Trotsky 2012 has a new favorite as of 01:38 on Sep 16, 2020

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Where do you even find that stuff? I looked around, but I was only finding stuff like my subscriptions and my location history (turned off) and whatnot. I'm not seeing my demographics anywhere.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, I'm kinda curious myself.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Try this.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I am actually excited for the live action Hunchback of Notre Dame because it will be like watching three on-fire trains crashing into a popcorn factory and then a final wreck in a gas truck.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

:yeah:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

on a related note, the location data tracker isn't super accurate either, it seems to think i'm going on all these wild journeys every couple of weeks when i'm in like hour 3 of a 9 hour sleep

wild meaning like, to a traffic circle then around the circle a few times then back home via a different route, i'm assuming it's just google trying to deal with junk data from gps satellites being made by the lowest bidder

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Mine thinks that my interests include parenting, but that I'm not a parent. That I'm single, but interested in weddings. Truly, I am a paradox.

It also thinks I'm interested in ModCloth, which I've never visited, a specific marketing firm for some reason, and Bollywood films, which I've never watched.

I am interested in yard maintenance, despite not having a yard.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mine just seemed to list everything under the sun. Feelin' kinda ripped off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

blatman posted:

on a related note, the location data tracker isn't super accurate either, it seems to think i'm going on all these wild journeys every couple of weeks when i'm in like hour 3 of a 9 hour sleep

wild meaning like, to a traffic circle then around the circle a few times then back home via a different route, i'm assuming it's just google trying to deal with junk data from gps satellites being made by the lowest bidder

Could be going off whatever cell tower your phone has the strongest connection to at any point in time as well.

And yeah, good work google, you should totally serve me ads about ... *squints* ... Device Drivers?