Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

BONGHITZ posted:

So what is the current procedure for these situations?

1) instant probation so they go away
2) you announce you have the power to give them private message access but, since you didn't do so, you don't mention that and hope everyone assumes you did
3) call the cops on the person
4) say 'we went above and beyond but we can't tell you details'
5) start shutting down all conversations about it when you get dogpiled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

No we didn't call the cops.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

mastershakeman posted:

2) you announce you have the power to give them private message access but, since you didn't do so, you don't mention that and hope everyone assumes you did

First instance of genuine anger on SA in goddamn years, followed by genuine laughter. What a day.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fluffdaddy posted:

ok did you call any service or authority that may have in turn called the cops? because that's the same thing.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

fundamentally the issue here is this is not just a loving comedy message board where everyone tells jokes all day and no one knows each other. I know a bunch of people IRL now from this forum. People have my number and know my name and some even have my address. The mods do not know which people obviously. If i were to start posting this kind of heavy poo poo, it would likely get noticed and those people might be able to help.

this place is a community, and sometimes members of a community have crises. she felt enough for this community to reach out to it in a desperate moment, and the response of this community was to tell her to shut up and call a hotline. and then maybe the mods called the cops on her as well, risking her life again. we will never know if more support could have been found, of if she may have been willing just to engage with the thread long enough for help to arrive.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.
sucidal ideation from fellow posters isn't the thing making me want to die, it's these loving awful college courses and the fact im 24, have never had a job, have never had an internship, no clue what the gently caress i want to do, and i graduate in a year so i have to figure it out anyway.

im gay

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008

Minrad posted:

before

literally, the first thing you do is take away any tools or outside contact that would push that person towards committing suicide. psychological help comes later.

is there any actual research showing this is the best thing to do or is this just the delusions of people who think they are uniquely equipped to handle the problems of strangers

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Fluffdaddy posted:

thank you

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

Of course we gave them PMs, and we also have email addresses as well.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

fosborb posted:

also jfc if mods called the cops on her :(

e: sorry, the "authorities"
If are some internet rando website admin and all you have is an IP address for someone and are immediate need of having someone contact that person in hours and not days or weeks--you don't have anyone else to call. At least not in America...

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider

SKULL.GIF posted:

Talking about your marital problems and announcing suicidal intent is not in any way comparable.

Have you ever been suicidal?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Britt Burns posted:

Have you ever been suicidal?

Would you like me to upload a photograph of the scars on my neck? They've faded to light pink by now but the scar tissue should still be visible.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WoodrowSkillson posted:

fundamentally the issue here is this is not just a loving comedy message board where everyone tells jokes all day and no one knows each other. I know a bunch of people IRL now from this forum. People have my number and know my name and some even have my address. The mods do not know which people obviously. If i were to start posting this kind of heavy poo poo, it would likely get noticed and those people might be able to help.

this place is a community, and sometimes members of a community have crises. she felt enough for this community to reach out to it in a desperate moment, and the response of this community was to tell her to shut up and call a hotline. and then maybe the mods called the cops on her as well, risking her life again. we will never know if more support could have been found, of if she may have been willing just to engage with the thread long enough for help to arrive.

yea the line of "this doesn't belong on a comedy forum" is extremely stupid bullshit and is obviously crafted to try to take advantage of the ostensible "comedy forum" nature of this community to silence criticism or to make someone or something the person who says it go away. Just because like 1% of us are funny enough to make the other 99% of us laugh sometimes doesn't mean that this place is only for comedy 24/7 forever.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

that's it, im going to applebees

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

silicone thrills posted:

And that right there is why i've never actually called for help from any "official channels" even tho I almost stepped in front of a bus.

well, no, the real reason you're avoiding that help (assuming you're american) is because the huge amount of debt it'll foister onto you as part of the recovery process ends up being a bigger burden than the mental care. but if you can afford it, getting mental care and therapy is probably pretty critical especially if you want to brag about how you almost killed yourself in the past

that said, to use a bad metaphor, you don't barge into the icu room of a man who barely survives a traffic wreck to educate them on how you're -actually- supposed to drive defensively; that poo poo comes way later when they're awake, healed, and everyone know they're safe.

the reason it's done is because -you don't know- what will make that person commit suicide. you don't know if they want to kill themselves because of someone who was egging them on to do it in text messages, you don't know if they haven't already taken some pills and are lying to the nurses and doctors about it, you don't know if they aren't planning to hurt someone else before they hurt themselves. making sure someone can't kill themselves has to come before helping them not do it again in the future because it's the only logical way through the process. if someone is threatening to commit suicide there needs to be immediate intervention physically because anything else they do at that point could just as well encourage them to kill themselves as not.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

brugroffil posted:

I think there's a difference between "venting," and what really looked like a legitimate suicide threat/intention.

i see it as a sliding scale since i just went through this over new years with a friend that lives 150 miles away; he'd vent on gchat and then suddenly escalated and tried to suicide but passed out from booze before he could finish swallowing the pills. i drove down to see him as soon as i found out implored him to just open up about when he has those thoughts , and he's done exactly that and i've been able to talk him down another half dozen times over the 6 months of this pandemic. one of my best friends killed himself a few years ago and i still feel guilty i wasn't there for him more and i think thats why i view everything on the venting sliding scale this way during these times , because people have absolutely no one to lean on that isn't on the internet if they're taking covid seriously

to be more specific, this thread is for people who are obsessed, absolutely obsessed, with millions dying from a plague and the likely destruction of society as we know it. it's going to draw people who are in bad frames of mind who just want someone to respond to them, even if that response is a bunch of words on the internet from someone they dont know

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 17:22 on Sep 15, 2020

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

BeefThief posted:

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

yeah if the mods were/are doing anything to help, from the moment they probed her and began that process of helping, someone could have followed up itt with a, “hey don’t want to disclose details but the mods have attempted contact with this poster to check in on them” or literally anything, instead of just silence

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

BeefThief posted:

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

BeefThief posted:

someone probe this goon and PM them for the love of GOD

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT TO DO FREE WILL SUCKS

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider

SKULL.GIF posted:

Would you like me to upload a photograph of the scars on my neck? They've faded to light pink by now but the scar tissue should still be visible.

Lol that would be great. You're awful at compassion, btw

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Lady Militant posted:

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Lady Militant posted:

endless apps

apps forever

until the end of time, the apps

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

BeefThief posted:

mods?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

is there any actual research showing this is the best thing to do or is this just the delusions of people who think they are uniquely equipped to handle the problems of strangers

I have dealt with suicidal ideation and all that comes with it all my life (it's in the distant past now - in the sense that it's now easy to brush aside because I built the coping skills I needed to deal with it - so no worries about me pls), and the best thing for it (for me, anyways) was talking to people, though I don't recall if I ever actually told any of the people I talked to during such episodes that that was something I was going through or that was why I was talking to them. I'm sure it's different for everyone who goes through it, I really wouldn't know, but taking away my phone and locking me in a room so I couldn't talk to anyone to me feels like the worst possible thing you could do short of just killing me yourself so that I couldn't commit suicide

Britt Burns posted:

did you just tell someone they're awful at compassion while laughing at their scars

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
McKinney is a city in and the county seat of Collin County, Texas,[6] United States. It is Collin County's second-largest city, after Plano. An exurb of the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex, McKinney is about 32 miles (51 km) north of Dallas.

In the 2010 census, the city's population was 131,117, making it Texas's 19th-most populous city.[8] The most recent population estimate, produced by the city as of 2019, is 199,177

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

BeefThief posted:

probate this person for suicidal ideation

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Huntington Beach is a seaside city in Orange County in Southern California, located 35 miles (56 km) southeast of Downtown Los Angeles. The city is named after American businessman Henry E. Huntington. The population was 189,992 during the 2010 census, making it the fourth most populous city in Orange County, the most populous beach city in Orange County, and the seventh most populous city in the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area.[citation needed] Its estimated 2019 population was 199,223

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

mastershakeman posted:

i see it as a sliding scale since i just went through this over new years with a friend that lives 150 miles away; he'd vent on gchat and then suddenly escalated and tried to suicide but passed out from booze before he could finish swallowing the pills. i drove down to see him as soon as i found out implored him to just open up about when he has those thoughts , and he's done exactly that and i've been able to talk him down another half dozen times over the 6 months of this pandemic. one of my best friends killed himself a few years ago and i still feel guilty i wasn't there for him more and i think thats why i view everything on the venting sliding scale this way during these times , because people have absolutely no one to lean on that isn't on the internet if they're taking covid seriously

to be more specific, this thread is for people who are obsessed, absolutely obsessed, with millions dying from a plague and the likely destruction of society as we know it. it's going to draw people who are in bad frames of mind who just want someone to respond to them, even if that response is a bunch of words on the internet from someone they dont know

I personally saw facetoucher cat's post as a legitimate and immediate intent to commit suicide. That's why I hit the report button and then immediately reached out to the mod team.

I don't agree that venting about personal poo poo is some smooth sliding scale to how I perceived facetoucher's post. There's a big, big discontinuity there.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

BeefThief posted:

can you bring back a bloomin onion

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider

empty whippet box posted:

did you just tell someone they're awful at compassion while laughing at their scars

Yes, I did - this IS a comedy website after all!

(don't worry, I have them too so it's allowed)

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Lady Militant posted:

sucidal ideation from fellow posters isn't the thing making me want to die, it's these loving awful college courses and the fact im 24, have never had a job, have never had an internship, no clue what the gently caress i want to do, and i graduate in a year so i have to figure it out anyway.

im gay

Suicidal ideation does in fact sometimes cause severe anxiety because I'm a brash idiot who can't begin to deal with grief without making things worse.

But that's not what's causing my suicidal ideation, that's caused by the whole "permanently lost a lot of motor control, my ability to work and gained severe pain", combined with "I'm covered for all medical care except therapy but still have spent four years trying to get my pain medicated" and the whole "a whole bunch of people in local mainstream society are calling for my death for the expense of the disability and I still hear the occasional voice calling for my death because of my ethnicity and I have to fill paperwork explaining I need to breathe to live, unironically and very literally, to get access to necessary medical care".

Me being a dipshit to other people in pain is just something I need to deal with after the sedatives have kicked in, so I do actually understand why limiting exposure to that is sometimes a necessity, but not like this. This was handled really loving badly at every step and trying to justify it in post with poo poo like this is just enraging.

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Huntington Beach is a seaside city in Orange County in Southern California, located 35 miles (56 km) southeast of Downtown Los Angeles. The city is named after American businessman Henry E. Huntington. The population was 189,992 during the 2010 census, making it the fourth most populous city in Orange County, the most populous beach city in Orange County, and the seventh most populous city in the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area.[citation needed] Its estimated 2019 population was 199,223

thank god, it's finally gone

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

again, the issue is that it's no longer a situation of trying to get someone the best mental health outcome in the short term, because the immediate problem is whether they are going to even be alive. you don't lecture the guy having a heart attack about how he should eat healthier and get more exercise. like no poo poo that's going to be part of the recovery process, but it's not the immediate health concern when he gets wheeled in the ER.

short term and possible long term mental health outcome might be worse treating all those situations the same, but what's the short term mental health outcome look like for someone who stops breathing for 10 minutes?

Minera has issued a correction as of 17:29 on Sep 15, 2020

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

brugroffil posted:

I personally saw facetoucher cat's post as a legitimate and immediate intent to commit suicide. That's why I hit the report button and then immediately reached out to the mod team.

I don't agree that venting about personal poo poo is some smooth sliding scale to how I perceived facetoucher's post. There's a big, big discontinuity there.

yeah everyone's going to see things differently based on what they've personally gone through. i absolutely would have reacted differently to that post a few years ago

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008

Minrad posted:

again, the issue is that it's no longer a situation of trying to get someone the best mental health outcome in the short term, because the immediate problem is whether they are going to even be alive. you don't lecture the guy having a heart attack about how he should eat healthier and get more exercise. like no poo poo that's going to be part of the recovery process, but it's not the immediate health concern when he gets wheeled in the ER.

well in spite of you saying this is "before" they get professional help, they are still in a safe place by that point. this is a completely different situation imo. also, i would still like to know if there is any actual research to support this practice.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Minrad posted:

the real difference here is that when you take away someone's phone, you're literally there in person ensuring that they can't kill themselves. that isn't the case here and the two situations aren't comparable.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Britt Burns posted:

I have helpfully linked the point in my post history in this thread where I began posting about this. I hope it's clear that I've been treating this topic seriously, instead of posting jokes or hyperbole about the mods.

If you're serious about wanting to see the photograph, then PM me. I consider these scars to be a potential trigger and because of that won't post the photo itt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
good thread on why 20 year olds are crushing the covid numbers

https://twitter.com/heysciencesam/status/1305751451436802048?s=19

chaser, this is all hitting the olds in a few weeks (gotta get my laundry done!)

https://twitter.com/heysciencesam/status/1305751461414998016?s=19