Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Due to the pandemic going outside is canceled, as is touching other people's stuff. Buying used goods is typically something that requires one to do both of these things. This means we are shackled to new goods in perpetuity, cursed to buy factory-fresh consumables, in pristine condition only. Thrifting has been canceled. No longer can I hand-rifle through other people's trash looking for something under $10 that will become my treasure.

But wait! You can buy from Goodwill online now. Maybe thrifting can be saved! Maybe we can all save thrifting, together!

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/

14.2-lb "grab bag" of fashion jewelry - $76
15 pounds of jewelry. Probably good for the missus.

"Enormous" loose game lot (Nintendo, PS, Xbox) - $6.99
When I was a kid my parents always gave my used games and consoles to my younger cousins, so my last memory of my Game Boy Color is watching with deep longing as my cousin smashed a banana right into the front of that thing. I think of this every time I see big piles of used games for sale. But this isn't like that. Aside from someone having given generously to charity instead of my bastard family, this lot also has strong "failson moved out and left his poo poo here" energy.

Vintage Transformers Megatron G1 - 1984 - $378
For fun I went to the toys section and sorted it from highest price to lowest price. While it is not funny to endanger children it would be pretty funny if this was an actual gun.

Churchhill Willow Pink Rosa Salt & Pepper Shakers - $7.99
These seem oddly racially charged. I am an Asian person and easy to piss off, though.

Small Metal Pedestal? (sic) - $6.95
The question mark throws this whole thing into doubt for me, so I'm gonna put a warning on this one. WARNING!!! POSSIBLY CURSED!!!

2006 Nissan Xterra with almost 200K miles - $3,799
This is just a car :)

Let's support the used goods economy. For my part I am looking for bowls deep enough to eat udon in comfortably, so if you see anything like that please link. TIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
This is cool, I look forward to accruing even more poo poo that others have discarded but I can't resist buying and hoarding myself.

The Goodwill by me stopped taking donations for awhile since everyone the last few months was getting rid of so much stuff.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

sticksy posted:

This is cool, I look forward to accruing even more poo poo that others have discarded but I can't resist buying and hoarding myself.

The Goodwill by me stopped taking donations for awhile since everyone the last few months was getting rid of so much stuff.

It's possible quarantine has given people Marie Kondo brain, which I guess is a good thing, but also no one can or should buy anything, so it's a real moral quandary for me, someone who loves wasting time and her extremely finite amounts of money.

Ladies Delicates Intimates Size 34C - $10.99
This is actually a pretty good price for lady undies, but you probably shouldn't thrift for these? Maybe? My mom always made it sound like a bad idea.

28 COMICS & MAGAZINE - $25
The lack of listed titles exudes chaotic energy

New David's Bridal White Wedding Dress - $250
I didn't know why wedding stuff would have its own section until I clicked through and realised people probably give away wedding dresses all the time. You only wear that poo poo once, I guess. The name of this lot is a six-word story on par with the baby shoes one. As the president would say, sad.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Doc Fission posted:

This is actually a pretty good price for lady undies, but you probably shouldn't thrift for these? Maybe? My mom always made it sound like a bad idea.

Don't think there's any real reason not to buy them, but the idea of it is just the most off-putting thing.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

You can get great deals on shopgoodwill auctions but you have to factor in the Shipping/Handling which is almost always 10+ (unless you happen to live within pickup distance of the Goodwill).

The 1 cent shipping filter is useful.

Either way I have gotten some absolute steals - use the advanced search with the search descripions option.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
79 bucks for that bag of junk jewelry is insanely high. I bet it's like a gambling thing people hoping they get some valuable old piece or some overlooked gold or something.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Spinz posted:

79 bucks for that bag of junk jewelry is insanely high. I bet it's like a gambling thing people hoping they get some valuable old piece or some overlooked gold or something.

There is an insane demand for weird retro jewelry (BOHO baby) on sites like poshmark/mercari/ebay. Costume or not, people want that stuff.

Jesse Ventura
Jan 14, 2007

This drink is like somebody's memory of a grapefruit, and the memory is fading.

Rave 'Til Dawn CD, $6.99

:goatdrugs:

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

hah the explicit advisory must be from the lords of acid song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KiXnjj0DZw

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
These fucks don't even deliver to canuckland

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Spinz posted:

There's a youtube channel done by a woman who sells on eBay. She's gotten big bags of jewelry and gone through them in videos. Some of it she gives away to people who do crafts, some she sells in a lot with other similar types of jewelry, and some she sells individually because she's willing to do the work of listing, describing, etc.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/103186175

oh yeah

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

My very own Tootie doll? Can life get better???

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Big Beef City posted:

My very own Tootie doll? Can life get better???

still in the original box, poo poo is gotta be worth $$$$$$$

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I luv thrifting for bad wall art

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Colonel Cancer posted:

I luv thrifting for bad wall art

I won this:

But i got a unicorn statue instead. I was pretty disappointed but in reality someone probably destroyed the piece because of the nipples which are clearly forboten.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Become A Knight ENTIRE BODY ARMOR CHAINMAIL SWORD

There's a section for knives and swords, just in case you want a Dale Earnhardt commemorative folding knife but think the retail price is a rip-off.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

ArchWizard posted:

Become A Knight ENTIRE BODY ARMOR CHAINMAIL SWORD

There's a section for knives and swords, just in case you want a Dale Earnhardt commemorative folding knife but think the retail price is a rip-off.

Yeah I was curious about what constituted miscellaneous in this list but it's mostly just more knives. I'm not linking the knives because I'm tired and you can just throw a rock into this website and hit a big pile of knives. I didn't realise Goodwill patrons were students of the blade.

This one is bisexual and can be found at a Shell gas station. A condition we can all relate to.

This one is just silly. If you have a rifle why do you need a knife!?

Criss Angel Magic Kit - $9.99
In case you need to change character classes, this seems like a pretty good price.

Crawling Baby Mannequin - $7.99
I think it's missing a finger???

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

14 points of articulation!? Now hold on a sec.

1 & 2. Wrists
3 & 4. Elbows
5 & 6. Shoulders
7 & 8. Knees

I'm missing six whole points of articulation. Who the gently caress is Tootie and what does she know that I don't

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Snake Cane With Sword Inside

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/103485979

$7.99!!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Doc Fission posted:

1 & 2. Wrists
3 & 4. Elbows
5 & 6. Shoulders
7 & 8. Knees

I'm missing six whole points of articulation. Who the gently caress is Tootie and what does she know that I don't

Maybe two for the neck, two for the torso, and maybe two on the forearms so you can twist the hands? Just guessing idk

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Now I can live out my GI Joe role-play fantasy

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
call me when somebody invents the sword cane with snake inside

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

no pubes yet sorry posted:

I won this:

But i got a unicorn statue instead. I was pretty disappointed but in reality someone probably destroyed the piece because of the nipples which are clearly forboten.

Yo

Wasn't a slavation army item, just a nameless local thrift store years ago

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

That's beautiful man

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

i want this

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Holy loving poo poo that's a cool find!

I got a $150 lamp for $10. It's iridescent and shaped like a seashell, perfect for nautical decor. Had a little dent in it that was easily hidden...until when moving one day my friend threw it into the backseat of my car, giving it a great big gash on the OTHER side and basically ruining it.

I still have it around, will take a picture of it and throw it in the thread sometime. It's still a pretty lamp :(

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Doc Fission posted:

1 & 2. Wrists
3 & 4. Elbows
5 & 6. Shoulders
7 & 8. Knees

Two of them have to be articulating breasts.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

Doc Fission posted:

1 & 2. Wrists
3 & 4. Elbows
5 & 6. Shoulders
7 & 8. Knees

ankles
neck
waist
wings
fetlocks
phlanges
pedipalps
stinger
tank treads
telescoping proboscis

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Well you just blew my entire evening I literally made an account. I am not going to buy anything though in the end but oh my God if I was still making jewelry I don't know I'd be tempted. I'm going to screenshot this incredible thing, it's $1,500 and so beautiful maybe it was $2,500 it's just wow

I'd never buy in a million years of course but I'm just saying really high quality jewelry is just so obvious when you look at it

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Mmmmmmm

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Spinz posted:

Mmmmmmm

Would (wear around my wrist)

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Oh yeah there's a lot of magic the gathering cards and the bidding is at 5,000 right now

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Yeah that seems like a nice piece.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
My wife still goes to goodwill. The goodwill outlet. And there is like a roving gang of hip young men who talk about loving preteens and running around and whooping loudly until the new bins are brought out at which point they rush like a loving hyena to a corpse and start tearing through poo poo knocking people out of the way in an attempt to find a crop top with ll cool j on it to sell on etsy for 500 dollars. This is how they live.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

The coolest thing I bought from goodwill is an Alesis Q6.1 Synthesizer http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/qs61.php It was crusty and one of the keys does not work but it was like $100 or so.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I used to sit on ratty couches browsing the forums at Goodwill while my partner took aeons looking at clothes so I feel pretty good about not thrifting atm

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I used to go to thrift stores in my twenties and thirties to buy tops mostly. I liked vintage '70s clothes, metallic threaded sweaters, rhinestone jewelry, weird stuff.

The one thing I always looked for and bought were those big glass grapes from the 60s and 70s, they're pretty and they are just glass orbs wired together to look like a bunch of grapes.

Anyway I'm going to tell you guys something to keep your eye out for if you're ever say with your wife with at a garage sale or an estate sale or a thrift store. It never paid off for me and I always kept my eyes open for years. One of the things that you can find that would be really valuable and easy to turn around and sell is ANYTHING made of platinum. Platinum is much more valuable than gold and it looks like sterling silver. If it's old it could be kind of dull even. The marking for platinum is 950 and it may be stamped PL or PLAT so what people might think is that that is short for plated silver. That was my fantasy anyway.

That would be where you would hit the goldmine. Rarely it could be marked 999 for pure Platinum so if you ever find anything marked 950 as opposed to 925 for silver or 900 for Mexican or nickel silver buy it!

Like I say I never found anything that was Platinum however I found something that was Sterling that was marked Platinum. I found a forgery which sucks. Somebody had pounded a 950 over the 925 but I got it super cheap at a garage sale and it looked hinky right away. I took it to a jeweler and they were surprised too. I still have it somewhere even.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Spinz posted:

Like I say I never found anything that was Platinum however I found something that was Sterling that was marked Platinum. I found a forgery which sucks. Somebody had pounded a 950 over the 925 but I got it super cheap at a garage sale and it looked hinky right away. I took it to a jeweler and they were surprised too. I still have it somewhere even.

That's kinda cool, post it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Vim Fuego posted:

That's kinda cool, post it!

Alright I'll try to find it