Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
every one of those vids that ends without a knock out punch is so disappointing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The problem here is that all the chuds are going to see "LOCKDOWNS DECLARED ILLEGAL" on Fox and rush out en masse because the good trump judge openerupped.

They will never hear about any sort of appeal

chud business owners will start packing people in again and the cops will refuse to enforce any orders

it's going to contribute bigly to social unrest in this dumb poo poo state.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

mastershakeman posted:

Was it lochner because if so lmao

Yeah it owns

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Mayor Dave posted:

Yeah it owns

everything owns

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nothus posted:

Conducting your illegal business with probably the most easily traceable way of exchanging money seems like a bad idea.

that was kinda my thought about it too but at the same time, I use paypal and cashapp to send small amounts of money to people all the time, I sent $10 to a friend so he and his kids could get something to eat the other night, and hell, I get small dollar paypals all the time for my business. I think it's less dangerous than one would think, if they're to the point of investigating your paypal transactions, I'm pretty sure you're well and truly hosed already anyway.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
It's going to take forever to hit 200,000 then speed through 270,000 and take forever to hit 300,000

Civil war death number (they get foggy): 618;222
North: 360,222
South: 258,000

Eventually the Holy Warriors will become nuanced and state that per capita, 2% of the us population died in the civil war.
(Current US population at 328,000,000 (328 hundred million), and 2% of that is 6,560,000 (6.56 million)

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Nothus posted:

Conducting your illegal business with probably the most easily traceable way of exchanging money seems like a bad idea.

who snitchin

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

empty whippet box posted:

that was kinda my thought about it too but at the same time, I use paypal and cashapp to send small amounts of money to people all the time, I sent $10 to a friend so he and his kids could get something to eat the other night, and hell, I get small dollar paypals all the time for my business. I think it's less dangerous than one would think, if they're to the point of investigating your paypal transactions, I'm pretty sure you're well and truly hosed already anyway.

Yeah but at least make them work for it, lol.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Really, if people truly believe that there’s a better way, especially in light of an upcoming mental health mass crisis, I’d suggest they bring up the topic again in QCS.

lmao

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

It's going to take forever to hit 200,000 then speed through 270,000 and take forever to hit 300,000

Civil war death number (they get foggy): 618;222
North: 360,222
South: 258,000

Eventually the Holy Warriors will become nuanced and state that per capita, 2% of the us population died in the civil war.
(Current US population at 328,000,000 (328 hundred million), and 2% of that is 6,560,000 (6.56 million)

Civil war took 4 years. At the rate we are going we will blow past even the per capita one by then.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Pead posted:

Civil war took 4 years. At the rate we are going we will blow past even the per capita one by then.

Eeeehgabgabafaahhhhhk. Thank you. I wasn't think about pace.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
QCS drama is the second estate of SA, and it’s where the current suicide rules were defined. C-SPAM autarchy doesn’t work.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

it's like there's a never-ending supply of these mentally-ill white boomers

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I guess with all the other stuff that's happened, it was naive of me to not expect SA mods to potentially get someone killed

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Just had to get blood drawn at the hospital

Waiting room was almost empty, but I sat down and one middle-aged lady across from me almost had tears in her eyes. 2 seconds later...

*cough*

Fat geriatric chud to my right was coughing every 5 seconds through his USA flag mask. I was only there a couple minutes before being caled in, but the minute they called me HE TOOK OFF THE MASK AND STARTED PUFFING ON AN INHALER. Everyone scattered and I had to walk around the entire perimeter of the room to get where I was going without going through his COVID cloud. And then he started arguing with the staff.

"WHY IS THIS TAKING SO LONG"

"What's your name?"

"WILLIAM"

"You signed into the computer as A.P. and then a bunch of 0's"

"OH"

:rip: me

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Is there something sticky like duct tape that's breathable

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MorrisBae posted:

Just had to get blood drawn at the hospital

Waiting room was almost empty, but I sat down and one middle-aged lady across from me almost had tears in her eyes. 2 seconds later...

*cough*

Fat geriatric chud to my right was coughing every 5 seconds through his USA flag mask. I was only there a couple minutes before being caled in, but the minute they called me HE TOOK OFF THE MASK AND STARTED PUFFING ON AN INHALER. Everyone scattered and I had to walk around the entire perimeter of the room to get where I was going without going through his COVID cloud. And then he started arguing with the staff.

"WHY IS THIS TAKING SO LONG"

"What's your name?"

"WILLIAM"

"You signed into the computer as A.P. and then a bunch of 0's"

"OH"

:rip: me

lol that owns

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Fly Molo posted:

I think snoo is correct in that there is no one-size-fits-all solution to this. Punishing people for saying these things (probe, ban) is not a healthy or constructive response to someone in a state of crisis. probating them is literally shutting them up at the worst possible time to ‘avoid drama’ and ‘protect their privacy’, though it varies case by case.

a lot of suicidal thought and ideation comes from a depression. a major contributing factor to depression is a perceived powerlessness and loss of agency. the current MO for responding to suicidal folks, on SA (probe/ban) and IRL (lock them up involuntarily for 72 hours or sic the cops on them) is a profoundly terrible response to people begging for help, and it contributes to people feeling like they have to Shut The gently caress Up until they implode.

Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing. Punishing people for expressing these thoughts might push them over the edge, though I didn't even consider that it'd cause others to bottle them up.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
update on that wedding in Maine:
https://twitter.com/bangordailynews/status/1305938989203980292?s=19

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/WTEN/status/1305913995459809281

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

leadership!

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

dang

quote:

None of those seven people attended the Aug. 7 wedding at a church in East Millinocket or the reception at an inn on Millinocket Lake, which Shah said was a reminder of how far-reaching the effects of COVID-19 can be.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
a bunch of parents including some on our school board have now decided that clicking the entirely optional eula on google classroom parent portal thing is us forcing them to sign a contract and now they want to pull kids out of school and also if they go remote they will use google classroom too, and like, I'm pretty sure they think they have some clever plan that if they 'defeat' the concept of technology in education we will be forced to return to 5 day a week in person education

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Leaders don't care so you shouldn't either! Commit crimes and do whatever!

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

super sweet best pal posted:

Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing. Punishing people for expressing these thoughts might push them over the edge, though I didn't even consider that it'd cause others to bottle them up.

You learn quickly to never ever let anyone know how badly you want to die because then they treat you this way.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

majestic, like a butterfly flapping its wings

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

this is will end with Cuomo scolding children and parents on 11/1 for trick-or-treating

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

QCS drama is the second estate of SA, and it’s where the current suicide rules were defined. C-SPAM autarchy doesn’t work.

just like the irl second estate, QCS is a domain dominated by vindictive wannabe-tyrants making up conspiracies about their hated posting enemies, while everything burns down around them.

“take it to QCS” is currently functionally the same as “gently caress off”, but with more letters.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

hail satan???

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

so it took 5 weeks for 7 people to die as a direct result of this superspreader events, and some of them were directly from children, you say? When did schools begin their daily superspreader events? About 3 weeks ago? :hmmyes:

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Fluffdaddy posted:

Probing someone off the forum is not silencing them.

Hi I just want to tell you to loving eat poo poo.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Fly Molo posted:

just like the irl second estate, QCS is a domain dominated by vindictive wannabe-tyrants making up conspiracies about their hated posting enemies, while everything burns down around them.

“take it to QCS” is currently functionally the same as “gently caress off”, but with more letters.
QCS is more responsive and useful than it has even been before. To ignore that merely means letting others dictate your forums life.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

QCS is more responsive and useful than it has even been before. To ignore that merely means letting others dictate your forums life.

someone made a thread about it already and it was closed in like 3 hours

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

idk I looked in on the most recent thread about this yesterday, and aside from restating the current policy and a bunch of comments about how cspam can’t possibly care enough about fellow posters to not further goad them into killing themselves, it didn’t seem like much was going on there.

it was a jarring contrast to the outpouring of support, well wishers, and offers of help that were flooding this thread

super sweet best pal posted:

well, the stated goal of probing seems to be explicitly to get people to not post about their suicidal ideation/imminent suicide attempts. in theory it is because the forums aren’t equipped to handle such things, folks should be reaching for help within their support networks and to a lesser extent, to keep threads from turning into suicide talk (as had clearly happened here).

in that way, this policy is absolutely designed to get folks to not mention suicide. since it can be a fine line between a genuine suicide threat and a less immediate or drastic type of self harm, some people may have seen what happened here and be less likely or willing to reach out on a daily basis, or in a crisis.

it’s obviously ideal that people have an in person friend or family support network they can reach out to. unfortunately, the reality is that a lot of folks, and I’m willing to bet this is especially true of many of us here, don’t have those people in their lives.

would it have been better to try to move that chat to the mental health thread? ofc! would ftc even have posted again after what they said if they weren’t probed? would they have been willing to take the chat elsewhere? it’s real hard to say.

I’m glad it sounds like some mods took action to do something to help or find out about ftc’s situation, but it would be cool to know at least generally what that something is, or might be in future cases like this, especially since theres an implication that some mods have volunteered this kind of outreach before in other situations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Giga Gaia posted:

every one of those vids that ends without a knock out punch is so disappointing

it should be legal to assault people who act like that. they should be considered outside the protection of the law and God.