Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Rotting fridges reminded me of a couple stories from the Schadenfreude thread:

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

This is the story of when they had to evacuate a city block in Baltimore because of a smell I made.

We were starting construction on a new restaurant location they were expanding and I was the GM for the new location so we got to work clearing out the mess left by the last restaurant. They were a bakery and out back there was a dumpster. They closed two years before. Not sure why it was there considering this alley basically has no street access other than a tiny door for I assume fire code reasons. Honestly I don’t know how they got it in there we had to cut it up with a torch to get rid of it.

It was full of dough and water we figured we could use the dumpster for something so we got to work tipping it over to get the water out. It was not water it was liquified rat. Hundreds of liquified rats. The three of us all began projectile vomiting immediately, before my brain could process the smell. It was a smell so strong you could feel it deep inside your chest and no amount of vomiting made it go away.
There were so many goddamn rat bones. They snuck in to eat the rotting dough and got stuck and drowned in what I’m assuming was a combination of rain water and soup made of their friends.

Covered in vomit and rat juice we did our best to regain our composure we went to the front of the building and tried to smoke cigarettes but they just tasted like death. It had been about a minute since we tipped the dumpster over and we heard screaming from around the corner. You see we weren’t the only ones projectile vomiting in fact most of the people on the street were and those that weren’t were running and screaming. Everywhere you looked people were wrenching I watched a little old lady get down on her knees and just erupt into a planter.

Then the fire department and the police and ambulances showed up. They cleared out everyone they could so they could hose down the streets and eventually came to the scene of the crime. A firefighter vomited into to his respirator. This got everyone including us into a vomitous fervor again but at least we were in the alley behind the restaurant to hide our shame.

“I’ve been a cop in Baltimore city for 30 years and I found a dead body that had been sitting in a vacant house for a month last week and this smells worse”

After a day of professional cleanup the city didn’t blame us because it was the trash of the previous owner. My wife made me take the train home instead of my car because I had a stench that literally woke nodding heroin addicts and made them move to another car. My wife made me strip in the yard and sprayed me with a hose. The clothes were destroyed, I even had to buy a new phone because it always carried the faintest hint of death smell. That was the worst thing I have ever smelled and I pray to god I never smell anything worse.

My personal theory is that there was still active yeast in the dough and it was fermenting the sugars from the rat corpses.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Back when I worked animal control we were serving a search warrant on a dogfighting compound. It was in the city but on the outskirts, really out in the middle of nowhere. There was this huge plywood-walled area where the dogs were kept, and then an old mobile home on the property. After waiting for like 4 hours to get the warrant telephonically we started going through the place. By the time we got it, it was dark. Dogs were easy enough: just unchain them, take pictures, log the details and then get them on the trucks. I think there were maybe 6 or 7 of them. The guy who owned the place was a notorious piece of poo poo who'd been popped for cruelty on several occasions but we'd never got him on the felony dogfighting charge. Just having dogs in an obvious setup like that wasn't necessarily enough to secure a conviction so we set out to search the trailer for more evidence.

It didn't have power itself, somebody had run an extension cord from a power pole. The only light in the place was in the kitchen area. It didn't have running water or anything. I was at the back, going through a bunch of poo poo in one of the bedrooms. This was in the early 2000s, so I had to seize all of these VHS tapes with labels like "SNOW WHITE" on them in case they'd recorded fights on them and home-recorded DVDs weren't really a thing at that point. Plus a bunch of notebooks and poo poo since it was too dark to read them. There were a bunch of cops wandering around. They were the ones who got the warrant and were making sure we didn't get shotgunned to death in case the owner or one of his lackeys showed up. From the kitchen area I hear one of them say "I wonder what's in here?" Then I hear my Lt. say NOOOOOOO like Vader in Revenge of the Sith. Then the clear sound of running footsteps and puking. About 10 seconds later the smell hit me. I blinked twice, shook my head, and went back to work because you get to be the champion of ignoring disgusting smells when you work AC.

Finally I went up front to see what the trouble was. There was a cooler on the kitchen table that the cop had opened. Inside there was a slurry of what used to be fish. We figured at some point someone went fishing, caught a bunch, threw them in the cooler and then brought it to the compound and forgot about it. No maggots as it had been sealed up pretty efficiently, but it was also summer so imagine what a 30qt cooler full of rotten fish glorp smells like. The cop opened it, the smell hit him in the face and you could follow the trail of vomit outside. Every other cop in and around the place was going like a fire hose. The noooooo from my Lt. was him trying to stop the cop from opening the cooler because he knew nothing good could come of it. We just shook our heads and went back to work in the effluvia. It's kind of hard to describe - the obvious stench of decay, but also this weird sharp kind of alkaline smell. We didn't bother closing the cooler since we figured the owner would have to come by some time and we wanted to leave him a surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/IYf5NQt.gifv

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

I hate it when the camera turns away just when it gets good.

We had a pole transformer explode behind our house when I was in high school, and we just happened to be out back when it blew. I still remember the balls of electricity shooting down the line when it happened. Probably went about 20-30 feet before dissipating, 4 or 5 of them before a loud bang that took out power to half the street. It must have been smoldering on the inside because it eventually caught fire and fell off the pole before the electric company got there.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Looked like a flare stack to me at first. :aaaaa:

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely
That illustrates the dangers of operating am electrical pole without a blowout preventer.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Oh I thought it was just another gender reveal.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

iroc.dis posted:

18 year old kid hired by a company to help demo the roof off his high school. They just told him to get up there and start tearing poo poo off. He was trying to pull up a nailed down piece of wood when it broke loose, he stumbled backwards and fell off the edge. Landed face first. Per the other workers, EMTs had a body bag ready when they rolled up.

I hope he sued that company into bankruptcy, and that the local DA looked into criminal charges.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If power was off for an extended period of time, they did you a favor by emptying the fridge. Unless a kitchen full of maggots and flies blotting every window was a goal. And once food spoils like that, good luck ever getting the smell out of the fridge.

I get with and agree with everything yall are saying but...

I went back and emptied it when I found out the power was going to be out for a week two days after the fire. Two days later they entered to clear the fridges. Entering our place was unnecessary and they'd have known that if they'd taken the time to call or email my wife or me, instead we got an email after the fact.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

BBQ Dave posted:

I get with and agree with everything yall are saying but...

I went back and emptied it when I found out the power was going to be out for a week two days after the fire. Two days later they entered to clear the fridges. Entering our place was unnecessary and they'd have known that if they'd taken the time to call or email my wife or me, instead we got an email after the fact.

I completely sympathise with your feelings, but I can easily imagine other tenants replying to such an enquiry "Oh yes, I cleared the fridge out......".....two weeks pass....."all I left was some old meat stew, but that was in the freezer"

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Virtual Railfan caught a train derailment live, and the aftermath is still there. I'm looking forward to seeing how they manage the cleanup. No injuries, thankfully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNvU59Ld8aA

(Go to 7:49 local time for the derailment.)

Banana Republican
Jul 12, 2007

Log082 posted:

Virtual Railfan caught a train derailment live, and the aftermath is still there. I'm looking forward to seeing how they manage the cleanup. No injuries, thankfully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNvU59Ld8aA

(Go to 7:49 local time for the derailment.)

Hatchback guy left a penny on the track

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/Cm4cazo.mp4

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Bridgefuckling in Sweden by a Finnish company :sweden::hf::finland: One worker was injured.

It sure looks like a suspension bridge (in more than one way).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
To unmute, or not to unmute:

https://i.imgur.com/5F3yzKh.mp4

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Gender reveal getting weirder every day.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

taco night

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

zedprime posted:

Gender reveal getting weirder every day.

Nurgle, the third gender.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
This will be the front art on the upcoming release from my metal group, Death Tentacle

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Its never the nice things that leak through the ceiling.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I had something similar once with a paint bubble and I grabbed a coathanger and fashioned a poker and poked it and it drained right into my toilet, it was pretty much the one time I did something that worked out in a situation like that.

Of course there was already a lot of pisswater streaming down the walls but, small victories.

Thank christ it wasn’t poo poo in there too tho.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Der Kyhe posted:

Its never the nice things that leak through the ceiling.

Malfunction at the upstair brewery?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Nenonen posted:

Malfunction at the upstair brewery?

Was looking for a response and came across this, which fits the thread.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

That's a torn rotator cuff for sure.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Kith posted:

That's a torn rotator cuff for sure.

Half barrel keg is only about 30lbs empty (which those appear to be), so I'm sure he's fine.

Definitely should have been shrink-wrapped together though.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qgppmqBlsw1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qgppi2lzWa1r0uzl6.mp4

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sirotan posted:

Half barrel keg is only about 30lbs empty (which those appear to be), so I'm sure he's fine.

Definitely should have been shrink-wrapped together though.

Oh yeah, keg was definitely empty but I guarantee you that he's gonna be "Aw gently caress" in a few minutes, or at the very least the next day.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

idgi

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

"Let go of your hand brake."

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV :bravo:

Uthor fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 15, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
She needs to rotate her tires.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I missed the Elk posting from th other day. You definitely move outta their way.

https://i.imgur.com/HX4sE4D.gifv

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Cartoon Man posted:

I missed the Elk posting from th other day. You definitely move outta their way.

I came around a blind corner on a dirt road and stopped just in time to avoid taking out a cow elk's knees. She stared down at me through the windshield and then ambled away.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Came around a corner on Kit Carson pass, 9k feet in the air and barely managed to avoid a deer someone had pasted the night before and then left in the road.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Cartoon Man posted:

Would be pretty hard to resist reaching out and petting this guy. Kind of a conundrum.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

That's a moose.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Would be pretty hard to resist reaching out and petting this guy. Kind of a conundrum.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Bacon Taco posted:

I hope he sued that company into bankruptcy, and that the local DA looked into criminal charges.

He didn't mention any civil suits. Considering how much his life has changed post-accident, I would guess that a civil suit would have easily been in the millions. He did say his worker's comp claim was the largest in his state's history though.

I hunted through OSHA citations for roofers in that time frame but only found 2 companies which each received 3 violations. One totaled $8300 and the other had $6000.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

He Is Risen

agrielaios
Dec 25, 2009

Nenonen posted:

That's a moose.

Ain't moose got different nose? Not to talk poo poo bout moose nose, but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

agrielaios posted:

Ain't moose got different nose? Not to talk poo poo bout moose nose, but

They also got them big wide spots on their horns.