Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Kitchner posted:

Yeah, you'd have to touch it with something that can survive it's close combat, which isn't hard, and two heavy flamer shots.

I think mortal wounds via physic powers (probably from a Lord of Change) or a keeper of secrets in combat is the best bet. Ironically in 8th you could give it -2 to hit you with the KoS in combat (wit stealer sword and the psychic power) and -3 in shooting. Now with the -1 cap though you need to degrade it to neuter it, otherwise next turn its going to shoot whatever is tagging it with two flamers and a storm cannon array and probably kill it.

A Keeper of Secrets will do 4.38 damage from the wit stealer, and 1.94 with the snapping claws so that's about 6 wounds total. You can use the Slaanesh psychic power to fight twice, so about 12 wounds. That's enough to degrade it to BS 5, so when it fires back at you with its dual storm cannon arrays it's hitting on 6s. This does about 2.88 wounds back to you, and you can kill it in your combat.

You really need to roll at least average for that to work though, there's not really a lot of margin for bad rolls. If you fail to do more than 9 wounds it hits you on 5s which is nearly 6 wounds in return. You'd still win i think but your keeper would be crippled. Then again the leviathan Dread costs nearly 100 points more so maybe worth it.

Did you factor in duty eternal on the wounds? Because that’s 100% getting used if they have cp. Also I’m pretty sure that you cannot make it hit you on 6s since a leviathan is BS 2+, so even on bottom bracket it would be BS4+.

Also unless I’m missing something the only way to fight twice without facing a round of shooting in melee is if the opponent lets you heroically intervene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010

Charles Get-Out posted:

The Xenos drops would have to be massive to even match the amount of Primaris stuff considering there's practically 1-for-1 Primaris release to any given other faction release. I don't think "drat there's a lot of Primaris stuff and Xenos keep getting trickles" is an unfair complaint.

I'm not asking for massive Xenos drops though really as my main squeeze is Sisters and they just got a redo. More thinking about how Primaris constantly gets potential army soft spots filled by scads of new options every month. Hard to not look sideways at them when you can think of multiple useful tools you'd like in your faction and Primaris keeps getting fixes for problems they never had. (melta rifles hello)

I'm really hoping this is the edition of Xenos. It's been a little much imo, even marine players are getting new model fatigue.

Warp Spiders turned 26 this year, Falcons, Shining Spears, and Vypers are in their early 20s. All the aspects turn 14 in November. Shining Spears use the old bikes and are a half-finecast kit, if any unit is in desperate need of a new kit it's them.

Idk what is going on at GW but there are mainline troop models that are older than large chunks of their demographic. :smith:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
New primaris storm speeder fits in perfectly with the other primaris vehicles; 80% near cool but then 20% hella goofy and dumb. The lil' head popping up in the back is a bold design choice.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Red Herring posted:

I'm really hoping this is the edition of Xenos. It's been a little much imo, even marine players are getting new model fatigue.

Warp Spiders turned 26 this year, Falcons, Shining Spears, and Vypers are in their early 20s. All the aspects turn 14 in November. Shining Spears use the old bikes and are a half-finecast kit, if any unit is in desperate need of a new kit it's them.

Idk what is going on at GW but there are mainline troop models that are older than large chunks of their demographic. :smith:

Yeah I don't know what the deal is with this. Maybe they have marketing data that no one likes or wants Eldar.

Falcons are still baller but the rest needs help.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
the falcon chassis seems evergreen.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

New primaris storm speeder fits in perfectly with the other primaris vehicles; 80% near cool but then 20% hella goofy and dumb. The lil' head popping up in the back is a bold design choice.

It’s great they are so stupid. Like the military dream of a twelve year old.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

JBP posted:

Yeah I don't know what the deal is with this. Maybe they have marketing data that no one likes or wants Eldar.

Falcons are still baller but the rest needs help.

I'll try and spend more money on Eldar to juice the stats. Need some Dire Avengers and a Guardian squad once I finish with this box then I'll be kitbashing Shining Spears which means the new kits will start rolling in right after I make purchases :v:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

tangy yet delightful posted:

I'll try and spend more money on Eldar to juice the stats. Need some Dire Avengers and a Guardian squad once I finish with this box then I'll be kitbashing Shining Spears which means the new kits will start rolling in right after I make purchases :v:

Thank you for your service, cashsinger.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

If anything I feel the front gunner who is operating a fixed forward weapon is the superfluous crewmember. The pilot can probably fire that gun more effectively! Although he looks like he fits more reasonably into the vehicle, so if the rear turret wasn’t manned he could be operating that as well as using scanners or whatever.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's obviously a make-work position for Primaris who are smart enough to not just die but don't do much aside from that

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Finished 2 more Marines this week.

I realized I mixed up one of the Reaver's backpacks with the Sgt's, I'm painting them next so he will get the right one.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

akulanization posted:

Did you factor in duty eternal on the wounds? Because that’s 100% getting used if they have cp. Also I’m pretty sure that you cannot make it hit you on 6s since a leviathan is BS 2+, so even on bottom bracket it would be BS4+.

Also unless I’m missing something the only way to fight twice without facing a round of shooting in melee is if the opponent lets you heroically intervene.

Didn't factor in any strats to be fair on either side, and you're right about the profile and fighting twice. The psychic power is fight twice immediately so not useful when you're the one charging.

In which case I guess the best thing is a combination of mortal wounds from psychic plus hitting it in combat? Like I said originally though leviathan dreads are super tough and hard to deal with, so I don't think there's an easy answer.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Red Herring posted:

Not that it's much of an issue with Nurgle's blessing running rampant over the globe currently, but it has been kinda sad to see how the game has transitioned in to "Which color marine army are you?" over the years. It wasn't unusual to show up for game night and be *the* xeno guy in a sea of tables that are marines slugging it out against marines.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I was kind of annoyed because when I signed up to that 40K league I think I was grey Knights and the rest of my pod was blood angels, daemons, and something else non-soace mariney. I doubt I'd be that lucky again if I were to sign up. I did feel sorry for the daemons guy getting put into a pod with grey Knights though.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Posted this guy in the last thread, but now I have half decent lighting!

https://twitter.com/Neon_Goblin/status/1305839074247409665?s=20

And a video trying to show off the colourshift's iridescence.

https://twitter.com/Neon_Goblin/status/1305839696375885824?s=20

alexmac
Jun 4, 2008
Looking for C+C for these smelly bois. These are my first models for probably a couple of decades and took me AGES to paint. This is also the first attempt I've made ever at basing that was more than just a coat of paint. Also only realised when trying to take a picture that the left dude had a slightly different green as a base coat, not sure which I prefer.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
Any of you know of a decent homebrew ruleset for playing 8th/9th with alternating activations? I'm doing a big homebrew crusade-ish, planetary empires-ish campaign for some friends, and since I'm already doing a load of custom rules, I figured it might be time to try alternating activations.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Snail Information posted:

Any of you know of a decent homebrew ruleset for playing 8th/9th with alternating activations? I'm doing a big homebrew crusade-ish, planetary empires-ish campaign for some friends, and since I'm already doing a load of custom rules, I figured it might be time to try alternating activations.

I'd just use the kill team rules and apply it to 40K. Then again I'm really not into homebrew stuff for anything and I try to keep everything simple so maybe I'm not the best person to ask.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Snail Information posted:

Two rulesets you might like:
https://onepagerules.com/portfolio/grimdark-future-firefight/
https://www.genesysgames.com/the-genesys-project

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Red Herring posted:

Almost all the Phoenix Lords are their original sculpts (lucky Jain Zar) and some (all?) of the warlocks are the same versions I bought in 1993 or something. It's amusing to see the guy that still has the old version of the shuriken pistol, I have to imagine he's like some officer showing up to war with his grandad's Peacemaker.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
Those are both great looking generic rules, that I didn't know existed. However, I'm just looking for a hack of 8th/9th edition to add in alternating activations. The problem is that if you just do alternating actions instead of you go I go, the close combat rules kinda break, because you get one less fight phase per turn. That's just the only glaring and obvious issue I can think of. I looked around to see if I could find a workable hack somewhere on the first page of google, but either they are all abandoned half ideas, or dead links to downloads for someone's homebrew rules.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

There are some depressing posts on reddit where they inventory Tyranid releases against marine releases. It’s been something like 80+ new model kits for power armor loyalists since the last bug release.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Red Herring posted:

It starts to make more sense when you think of Primaris as a separate army, and what they're trying to do with them.

Eventually, Primaris are going to replace firstborn. It might not happen anytime soon, I'm guessing it won't even start until we hit 10th edition, but it's going to happen eventually. Smolmarine units are going to start to get phased out into legends. Before GW can do that, they want to have all of the main roles that smolmarines have filled by Primaris. So GW is rushing out to try and get as many Primaris models out while still trying to keep it at a pace that players can at least kind of keep up with. The limit is what they think demand will be, and so far it seems to have been working.

This is exacerbated by the fact that marines are already the largest, most diverse model line in the game. So that's a lot of roles to fill. The good news is that Primaris are getting a lot closer at this point. Hopefully that means they'll slow it down for a while again (though I wouldn't be surprised if they tossed a couple more in, like a Primaris flyer).

This doesn't mean that you need to think what they're doing is good and necessary. As an ork player, I definitely want to see some more xenos releases. Hell, I want to see more chaos releases so there are more cool models to play against. But I think there's at least some logic to what they're doing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Orktober is just a few weeks away.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

JackMann posted:

Before GW can do that, they want to have all of the main roles that smolmarines have filled by Primaris.

Too bad about 30K.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Man I laugh every time I see Karandas. Same model , still ugly and going on 20 years. Never seen him in a game lol

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

LingcodKilla posted:

Sweet, time for a new buggy

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

LingcodKilla posted:

The months may change but Its always Orktober in your head.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

You dare talk about other factions in T’au Sept’ember?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cessna posted:

Too bad about 30K.

I guess they can keep making the Horus Heresy squads in production for that purpose and leave the vestigal Tactical/Terminator Squad choices in the codex.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Cessna posted:

Too bad about 30K.

We're fine, we just got Men of Iron.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I think you mean Loyal Imperial Robots!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

JackMann posted:

It starts to make more sense when you think of Primaris as a separate army, and what they're trying to do with them.

Eventually, Primaris are going to replace firstborn. It might not happen anytime soon, I'm guessing it won't even start until we hit 10th edition, but it's going to happen eventually. Smolmarine units are going to start to get phased out into legends. Before GW can do that, they want to have all of the main roles that smolmarines have filled by Primaris. So GW is rushing out to try and get as many Primaris models out while still trying to keep it at a pace that players can at least kind of keep up with. The limit is what they think demand will be, and so far it seems to have been working.

This is exacerbated by the fact that marines are already the largest, most diverse model line in the game. So that's a lot of roles to fill. The good news is that Primaris are getting a lot closer at this point. Hopefully that means they'll slow it down for a while again (though I wouldn't be surprised if they tossed a couple more in, like a Primaris flyer).

This doesn't mean that you need to think what they're doing is good and necessary. As an ork player, I definitely want to see some more xenos releases. Hell, I want to see more chaos releases so there are more cool models to play against. But I think there's at least some logic to what they're doing.

GW is happy to sell 20+ year old scuplts, I don't think regular marines are going to be relegated to legends when they can instead just not making new sculpts

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 15, 2020

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

inscrutable horse posted:

I think you mean Loyal Imperial Robots!

:whitewater:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Improbable Lobster posted:

GW is happy to sell 20+ year old scuplts, I don't think regular marines are going to be relegated to legends when they can instead just not making new sculpts

There's big business benefits to simplifying your product offering. I really think in like 3/4 years time small marines will be no more, and they will all just be "counts as" primaris marines in the same way my metal cadians can be modern day cadians with the right bases.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

TTerrible posted:

We're fine, we just got Men of Iron.

Hold up what?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Man, I think I'm about to rebase 2000+ points of White Scars...

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

The Demilich posted:

Hold up what?

A character in black stone fortress, UR-025 who walks around pretending to be a loyal robot. They also brought back a zoat and some chaos guard so I love it for keeping out of production stuff alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

The Demilich posted:

Hold up what?

The Dark Angels just got expanded upon in Book 9. One of the fluff things that has been heavy in 30k is that as the first legion the Dark Angels have lots of insane poo poo from the conquest of terra and the dark age of technology. One of the things they have access to now is essentially a tormented Man of Iron strapped into a penitent engine covered in weapons. It has a kill switch so a DA tech marine can blow it up if it starts rampaging through friendly forces. It's very expensive points wise and absolutely absurdly dangerous. It will kill almost anything.

EDIT:

The fluff in the book also mentions that it is similar in behaviour to units from the "Ordos Katastrophica" so we wait to see what nonsense that involves :allears: