Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

trump is the platonic ideal of an american.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Thundercracker posted:

My biggest wtf is that Trump got a cult. Trump?! Hitler makes sense. Stalin makes sense. Putin makes sense. They're all dangerous ruthless strongmen. But Donnny loving Good rains?

Hitler was an incompetent weirdo dipshit almost as stupid as Trump. The eerie parallel with Trump is that both got personality cults which insist that they're virile strongmen in spite of obvious mental and physical weaknesses. Hitler's was so effective that even you believe it by default in TYOOL 2020

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Hitler could do the very basis of a cult leader by being able to speak well, though. It's arguably the only real quality he had.

Donnie good words sounds like a Ai speech generator set to "slurry".

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Turns out the most important part of being a compelling speaker is telling people what they want to hear

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

ShadowHawk posted:

Turns out the most important part of being a compelling speaker is telling people what they you want them to hear

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

maggots get to fly away and leave the host behind, we'd be more like the gut flora or smth

so kinda like you're trapped in the belly of a horrible machine
and the machine is bleeding to death?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Thundercracker posted:

My biggest wtf is that Trump got a cult. Trump?! Hitler makes sense. Stalin makes sense. Putin makes sense. They're all dangerous ruthless strongmen. But Donnny loving Good rains?
Trump is the patron saint of the Republican base: rich failsons and Boomers who got while the getting was good before pulling up the ladder. The archetypal Trump voter is a small business owner who lives by exploiting everyone around him, all the while imagining that he's a self-made man surrounded by parasites.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
You're right maggots doesn't work. We are, as the above poster said, gut bacteria. We die with the host. Unless something else eats us first, I guess?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Thundercracker posted:

Hitler was a wheezing half-lunged pudgy dork on speed that couldn't walk a half mile without getting winded. Stalin was a dumb drunk. Being a strongman isn't about being a strong man.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

zegermans posted:

Stalin was a dumb drunk.

hell yeah, I love Stalin now

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Stalin was a manlet with hosed up arm and a crater face.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Son of Rodney posted:

Hitler could do the very basis of a cult leader by being able to speak well, though. It's arguably the only real quality he had.

i didn't know you spoke german.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

zegermans posted:

Hitler was a wheezing half-lunged pudgy dork on speed that couldn't walk a half mile without getting winded. Stalin was a dumb drunk. Being a strongman isn't about being a strong man.

At one point, Hitler legit earned an Iron Cross first class (recommended by his Jewish lieutenant, no less :v: ), and Stalin was a general during the Russian Civil War and the Polish-Russian war, as well.

Trump has done even less than either of them.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Joey Steel posted:

At one point, Hitler legit earned an Iron Cross first class (recommended by his Jewish lieutenant, no less :v: ), and Stalin was a general during the Russian Civil War and the Polish-Russian war, as well.

Trump has done even less than either of them.

are you forgetting that trump received the prestigious Bay of Pigs Award?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Didn't hitler fart a lot

Apr 7, 2003

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Didn't hitler fart a lot

Everyone did, back then. It was the style of the time.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Barry Foster posted:

so kinda like you're trapped in the belly of a horrible machine
and the machine is bleeding to death?

everything washed in a thin orange haze

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The history of WW2 is basically a bunch of morons who somehow did more damage than they should have ever been allowed to. They were on their own timeline of "well what if this guy did something incredibly dumb to cause this..." over and over and over. It was so loving stupid and so many people died that didn't need to if they weren't all literally hitting themselves in the face.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Philthy posted:

The history of WW2 is basically a bunch of morons who somehow did more damage than they should have ever been allowed to. They were on their own timeline of "well what if this guy did something incredibly dumb to cause this..." over and over and over. It was so loving stupid and so many people died that didn't need to if they weren't all literally hitting themselves in the face.

lead is a hell of a drug

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Didn't hitler fart a lot

he was a vegetarian, probably ate too many legumes

Apr 7, 2003

The Fumey Fuhrer

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Didn't hitler fart a lot

the more I hear about this guy the less I like him

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ElGroucho posted:

he was a vegetarian, probably ate too many legumes

He was vegetarian because eating meat gave him flatulence (I think pigeon was his favorite food).

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

lol imagine giving up your favorite food because you're afraid of farting

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Philthy posted:

that's basically the same story of 2016 - someone best summarized it as "everyone started with the premise that Trump couldn't win, and then everyone used this fact to do something that made it incrementally more possible"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Son of Rodney posted:

Was he though? having read a few Hitler speeches they're not super powerful stuff and his delivery calls to mind an enraged muppet

maybe you "had to be there", idk, but the argument that Hitler was a great speaker seems to revolve around the idea that noted discerning critics of oratory the Nazis sure seemed to like him, by which measure Trump is scientifically the greatest public speaker in living memory

Halloween Jack posted:

Trump is the patron saint of the Republican base: rich failsons and Boomers who got while the getting was good before pulling up the ladder. The archetypal Trump voter is a small business owner who lives by exploiting everyone around him, all the while imagining that he's a self-made man surrounded by parasites.

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 19:52 on Sep 15, 2020

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Didn't hitler fart a lot

Nice username/post combo.

Apr 7, 2003

Was he though? having read a few Hitler speeches they're not super powerful stuff and his delivery calls to mind an enraged muppet

maybe you "had to be there", idk, but the argument that Hitler was a great speaker seems to revolve around the idea that eight million Nazis can't be wrong about what makes a good speech, in which case Trump is scientifically the greatest orator of all time

There was a whole background to Hitler coming to power that Dan Carlin covered pretty good on his podcast

Erich Ludendorff was a WWI general who spent the immediate post-war years spreading the idea that the Germans could have easily won WWI but the Jews, trade unionists, etc at home ruined it (The stab-in-the-back myth).

The Treaty of Versailles was also a financially crippling settlement for Germany and hurt their economy badly

HItler was really good at capitalizing on the resentment of foreign heavy-handedness against post-imperial Germany and on resentment towards the people who supposedly made Germany lose the war on the home front.

Should sound familiar to anyone in 2020 America

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Groovelord Neato posted:

He was vegetarian because eating meat gave him flatulence (I think pigeon was his favorite food).

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

ShadowHawk posted:

Turns out the most important part of being a compelling speaker is telling people what they want to hear

:aaaaa:

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Trump is president. so that means people want to hear incomprehensible stupid bullshit

I think I understand latin catholic mass now

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

maybe you "had to be there", idk, but the argument that Hitler was a great speaker seems to revolve around the idea that noted discerning critics of oratory the Nazis sure seemed to like him, by which measure Trump is scientifically the greatest public speaker in living memory
Speaking well is speaking to your audience. Doesn't matter if his enemies thought he was a terrible little troll or whatever, if his oratory skills convinced most of Germany to become Nazis.

Son of Rodney posted:

Hitler was an excellent theater director too, his entire rule was basically an arts performance. Plus, I mean, he was a literal cult leader, he just wasn't as into loving his acolytes as the usual cult leader.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
So you're saying hitler was a "my ratings are great" guy? Doesn't sound like Trump at all.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

all this hitler talk reminds me of how jorp claimed that hitler gave out all those anti-semitic speeches subconsciously because the people he was giving those speeches to wanted it, not cause of any anti-semitism on the part of hitler himself

also that he didn't REALLY hate the jews because he put some of them into labor camps before outright exterminating them

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Mr Interweb posted:

all this hitler talk reminds me of how jorp claimed that hitler gave out all those anti-semitic speeches subconsciously because the people he was giving those speeches to wanted it, not cause of any anti-semitism on the part of hitler himself

also that he didn't REALLY hate the jews because he put some of them into labor camps before outright exterminating them

these are important distinctions to be sure, and i'm glad we have academics of jordan peterson's caliber working diligently to channel the inner thoughts of hitler for us

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

hell yeah, I love Stalin now

you would love the end of In the Court of the Red Tsar. at the end of his life stalin would call up his buddies every night and theyd have to go to his party mansion and get tanked on vodka while stalin just told them the same stories over and over again. husbands would look their wives in the eyes on the verge of tears saying, "im sorry honey, stalin called" and they would intermittently go hide in the bathrooms to gossip like schoolgirls and talk about how much they hated it

ryanrs posted:

lol imagine giving up your favorite food because you're afraid of farting

he was married to germany. a true gentleman doesnt fart in front of his wife or within her borders

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
also in case it wasnt obvious not going to stalins parties meant you were going to die so like you had to party under threat of death

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Cup Runneth Over posted:

i didn't know you spoke german.

I don't know if this is some joke I'm not getting, me being German and all :shrug:

But no seriously, Hitler was able to rile up people by using a poo poo load of pathos, oratory techniques and rethorical tools that made people feel strongly emotional and supportive of his ideas about nationalism and the role German deserved in the world. He used a very special cadence that was unique to him and his ability to deliver emotional hooks was top notch. He was an abhorrent person and like others have said not extremely intelligent, but he knew how to play people. It's not a coincidence that his entire political career started in a beer hall.

Trump actually sounds a bit similar and uses the same manipulative topics such as immigrants being monsters and the world treating the us very unfairly, it's just his words and sentences sound incredibly shoddy and thrown together.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

cumshitter posted:

also in case it wasnt obvious not going to stalins parties meant you were going to die so like you had to party under threat of death

I know it’s not a 100% historical movie but the part in death of stalin where everyone’s getting ready to go and then stalin declares it’s time for a cowboy movie with a smash cut to them all deadeyed looking at the screen is so loving funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Son of Rodney posted:

I don't know if this is some joke I'm not getting, me being German and all :shrug:

But no seriously, Hitler was able to rile up people by using a poo poo load of pathos, oratory techniques and rethorical tools that made people feel strongly emotional and supportive of his ideas about nationalism and the role German deserved in the world. He used a very special cadence that was unique to him and his ability to deliver emotional hooks was top notch. He was an abhorrent person and like others have said not extremely intelligent, but he knew how to play people. It's not a coincidence that his entire political career started in a beer hall.

Trump actually sounds a bit similar and uses the same manipulative topics such as immigrants being monsters and the world treating the us very unfairly, it's just his words and sentences sound incredibly shoddy and thrown together.

words and sentences that are shoddy and thrown together is the language of his people. he doesn't need to explain the concepts he's talking about, he just needs to refer to them because they're well-known parts of the fox news cinematic universe