Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
The Darksun approach to D&D magic is p good. You can be a preserver and simply tap enough life force from nearby vegetation with the option to go dark-side or straight up go NO gently caress YOU, DAD! and turn every living thing around you including sentient beings into ash and no-life zone for UNLIMITEEED POOOOWEEEERRR via the defiler way.

Both are hated and hunted by literally everyone, on top of the mechanical limitations.

It's p. good imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

PetraCore posted:

Oh, I loved that book as a kid.

She is such a good author.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
The Sartorias-deles books have a decent approach the fits with how technology tends to work. Anyone can learn magic and there are a handful of really common spells everyone knows. But becoming a magic user takes training with is heavily controlled because it can be really dangerous if you gently caress up. So power limits are moer about access to knowledge than anyone's inherent skill. You end up with places that have a lot of wizards and use magic for all kinds of bullshit, and ones that have almost none and struggle maintaining basic needs like clean water.

If i remember correctly Tolkien also implies at some point that magic is something anyone can just learn, but most people either don't have access to a teacher or aren't interested. Like there's some line about how hobbits are just to simple folk to want to bother with spells and poo poo

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

it was really cool years later to understand that, no, Gandalf is not a Wizard, he's a literal high-order angel come down from Heaven and is just masquerading as some magic old man

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Black August posted:

it was really cool years later to understand that, no, Gandalf is not a Wizard, he's a literal high-order angel come down from Heaven and is just masquerading as some magic old man

I always liked how there are like 9 Wizards but all but 3 just hosed off ignoring their mission to guide the realms of men.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I always liked how there are like 9 Wizards but all but 3 just hosed off ignoring their mission to guide the realms of men.

Which is pretty great since Tolkien managed to write some suitably 'realistic' angelic politics, what with Saruman becoming Fallen, Radagast becoming too enamored with the natural world, the two Blue Wizards just vanishing to another continent

Whereas Gandalf finds the happy medium with hobbits and settles for amazing food, drugs, and wicked parties with friends before he steps up to the job of preserving the world so it can continue to have amazing food, drugs, and wicked parties with friend

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
my favorite wizard installed diablo 2 for me

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

there wolf posted:

If i remember correctly Tolkien also implies at some point that magic is something anyone can just learn, but most people either don't have access to a teacher or aren't interested. Like there's some line about how hobbits are just to simple folk to want to bother with spells and poo poo

Yeah, Galadriel talks to Sam about how it's funny that people call what she does elf magic when everything the elves do is perfectly natural, thank you.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

in d&d studying won't get you better spells, you just have to kill people

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I never did fully get what the deal with the Grey Havens and the end was though. Did Frodo essentially take a boat to Heaven without having to die? I was extremely happy Sam was given the same honor at the end for his bearing the Ring when I read it way back. Frodo and especially Sam were always my idea of what a Paladin should be.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

He was granted passage to the Undying Lands to heal his wounds from the Witch King's knife and Shelob's sting and to ease the passage of his final days. It was specifically a gift from Arwen, but I don't remember how Sam got included. Tolkien writes in his letters that he and Sam would eventually accept the Gift of Men there of their own free will.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Black August posted:

I never did fully get what the deal with the Grey Havens and the end was though. Did Frodo essentially take a boat to Heaven without having to die? I was extremely happy Sam was given the same honor at the end for his bearing the Ring when I read it way back. Frodo and especially Sam were always my idea of what a Paladin should be.
From my understanding (secondhand from seeing this exact same thing discussed) Valinor isn't exactly heaven and only Elves go there after they die. Because of that, Valinor doesn't actually extend anyone's lifespan just from being a really good, holy place to be. I think it actually burns out mortals (people who aren't Maia or Elves or w/e) faster. This is a big part of why they're not allowed to go on over, it's a death sentence although a really pleasant death. The Numenoreans (Aragorn's ancestors) thought that going to Valinor would make them live longer so they kept trying even though it was forbidden, that's part of why their civilization crumbled and Aragorn will 'only' live about 250 years.

So, uh, Frodo is essentially going over to live a much-shortened life but one that'll help him heal from the damage the Ring did to him, that's why Sam only goes over at the very end of his life, he was less traumatized by the whole thing (although still pretty traumatized!) and was able to recover quite a bit back in the Shire and live a happy life.

EDIT: Basically they're not the undying lands bc they make you undying, but because the lands are undying.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

PetraCore posted:

EDIT: Basically they're not the undying lands bc they make you undying, but because the lands are undying.

It's inhabited by the Undying, too.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Black August posted:

That is the common assumption since "West" is the immortal realm that you don't age or have any kind of suffering until you decide to join your broskis in Halls of Mandos. This is why Numenor tried to sail west and got Krynn-ed after starting to worship Melkor by Sauron.

Re: Wizards

IIRC, there were 5 wizards. Two of them (Alatar and Pallando) hosed off to East and got "lost" but nerds on youtube endlessly theorycraft about them. Tolkien's approach to magic is p good, it's mysterious and subtle while critical. I have some problems with "magic comes from bloodline lol" stuff but that's a quite centerpiece of the narrative so idk.

Like seriously, I love stories about regular people overcoming obstacles through grit and adventuring sprit, not through midichlorians or other "heritage" poo poo.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I am way more interested in reading about nobodies who rise into legend and legacy through immense effort, instead of some losers who start out with 16 templates and a free legendary magic item

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Galewolf posted:

That is the common assumption since "West" is the immortal realm that you don't age or have any kind of suffering until you decide to join your broskis in Halls of Mandos. This is why Numenor tried to sail west and got Krynn-ed after starting to worship Melkor by Sauron.

Re: Wizards

IIRC, there were 5 wizards. Two of them (Alatar and Pallando) hosed off to East and got "lost" but nerds on youtube endlessly theorycraft about them. Tolkien's approach to magic is p good, it's mysterious and subtle while critical. I have some problems with "magic comes from bloodline lol" stuff but that's a quite centerpiece of the narrative so idk.

Like seriously, I love stories about regular people overcoming obstacles through grit and adventuring sprit, not through midichlorians or other "heritage" poo poo.

Black August posted:

I am way more interested in reading about nobodies who rise into legend and legacy through immense effort, instead of some losers who start out with 16 templates and a free legendary magic item

in fantasy genre it's only the bad guys who have to put in the effort

probably mainly because the early authors who everyone else copied were upperclass royalist twats

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The Witcher gets a pass due to becoming a Witcher is a choice/obtained (also requires training) and you can die during the process (iirc) and still can get killed if you are unprepared or severely outnumbered.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Sorcerers are bourgeoisie.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Galewolf posted:

The Witcher gets a pass due to becoming a Witcher is a choice/obtained (also requires training) and you can die during the process (iirc) and still can get killed if you are unprepared or severely outnumbered.
Aren't the genetics of certain magical things really important in that setting (not for Geralt but for like Ciri and stuff), but that's actually treated as pretty messed up?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I always wanted to write a story that starts off as "young boy is the Chosen One, leaves his mother at the behest of the Spirits/Oracles/King" or w/e and off he goes to do the fantasy book and jRPG deal. But even with whatever blessings he has, he's still a loving CHILD, and even with the help of his adventuring party he ends up very very dead. Eventually, this gets back to the mother, who now has witnessed powerful beings take her kid away to die.

So she picks up a sword, leaves, and sets about annihilating both the Dark Lord AND the Gods who sent a kid to slaughter because they like blessing children with power to entertain themselves

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I am sure there are hordes of nerds waiting behind the bushes to disprove me but reading LOTR in tyool 2020 has some serious :thunk: level overlying themes about "chosen people"

I mean, I love the books to the death but, for example, the throwaway line about Aragorn, Eomer, Imrahil and the rest during the Pellenor Fields was something like that: "Many people died, many nameless heroes but Aragorn and the gang had a higher destiny and they didn't get a scratch". I was legit sad about Haldir and the two bowman twins literally got crushed under mumakil foot while highborn / elfblood people simply getting plot armored to victory.

Maybe that's why I liked GURRM for no one having immunity from reality and how you can get killed like a dog in the medieval magic land.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I just give LotR a pass because it was a really different time and Tolkien didn't do much of the gross and creepy poo poo his contemporaries did

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Galewolf posted:

The Witcher gets a pass due to becoming a Witcher is a choice

ummm

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Yeah, it's not too much and mainly related to having literal magical immortal elf blood in your veins.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Black August posted:

I just give LotR a pass because it was a really different time and Tolkien didn't do much of the gross and creepy poo poo his contemporaries did
Where I'm at is that if a more modern author is doing worse than Tolkien on social issues that's a huge problem. Tolkien obviously had issues with colonialism and xenophobia in his works but also generally gives the impression of that being something he got more aware of over time and he wasn't intending to be hurtful towards anyone, which is a higher bar to clean in fantasy than it should be.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Don't you get trained first and used alchemy to mutate? Unless I'm reading the wiki wrong.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

was the pigherd protagonist from prydain a chosen one with elfblood or just a normal kid?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Elf magic in Lord of the Rings is mostly just sufficiently advanced medicine and engineering. Aragorn has skills because he grew up in Rivendell and they taught him which plants to pack into wounds.

Gandalf throws fireballs.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

sassassin posted:

Elf magic in Lord of the Rings is mostly just sufficiently advanced medicine and engineering. Aragorn has skills because he grew up in Rivendell and they taught him which plants to pack into wounds.

It feels like a lot of magic in LOTR is just like, being a really good craftsman, whatever the craft. See Celebrimbor. I'd wager elves just have longer lifespans to get really really good at things.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

sassassin posted:

He does not! He lit pinecones(?) on fire and hucked them.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Some versions of the First Age stories have literal tanks it's not just the Elves that got really good at building poo poo.

There is a lot of very magical magic as well though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Black August posted:

He does not! He lit pinecones(?) on fire and hucked them.

He definitely throws a fireball somewhere.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 15, 2020

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

sassassin posted:

I think the herbology doesn't work unless you are from the Dunedain bloodline, does it? Aragon literally casts Lay on Hands on the whole Minas Tirith ER with the help of mint leaves.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

sassassin posted:

He definitely throws a fireball somewhere.

I think he sets the trees ablaze and the flame spreads to wargs but I can't remember actual fireball.

Gandalf tricking Stone Trolls in Hobbit is some :discourse: poo poo though.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Galewolf posted:

I think the herbology doesn't work unless you are from the Dunedain bloodline, does it? Aragon literally casts Lay on Hands on the whole Minas Tirith ER with the help of mint leaves.

he could do that because he was the legal king

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It's really cool that despite being an angel, Gandalf is still fallible and has to struggle as much as the others to get things done

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Black August posted:

It's really cool that despite being an angel, Gandalf is still fallible and has to struggle as much as the others to get things done
I relate to Saruman bc he was stuck in the same situation and just decided that gently caress it he was just going to make everyone do the right thing (he did not make everyone do the right thing). It's good characterization.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Black August posted:

Compared with Fingolfin riding to Melkors crib to 1v1 him and almost winning, Gandakf is pretty subtle in his style and I love it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ChubbyChecker posted:

he could do that because he was the legal king

In Minas Tirith there's a folk tale that the king would have the hands of a healer. I wonder who came up with that (it was Gandalf).

Aragorn knows Elf healing "magic". He does a bit to show everyone and then after dark Elladan and Elrohir sneak in and do the exact same stuff because it's just basic knowledge to them. It's explicitly not a unique magic power because he is the One True King.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

ChubbyChecker posted:

was the pigherd protagonist from prydain a chosen one with elfblood or just a normal kid?

Eventually the guy who adopted him reveals he has no idea who his parents were so he could be royalty or not. He still gets to be king though.

PetraCore posted:

I relate to Saruman bc he was stuck in the same situation and just decided that gently caress it he was just going to make everyone do the right thing (he did not make everyone do the right thing). It's good characterization.

Yeah, that part was really well written when he's telling Gandalf that they should force everyone to submit to their rule but it really wouldn't be doing things differently.