Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

Finger Prince posted:

Shitakes are always nice.
Usually for fancier stuff you gotta get dried. Chantrelles are really yummy, but they're so hard to clean, you kind of have to just accept eating a bunch of dirt and grit. I found an online German deli that sells canned Chantrelles and if you can find that, they are the poo poo.
Cepes/porcini are great but always full of maggot holes/actual maggots so they're best dried I find.

I come across chanterelles in the woods here every so often. haven't got up the courage to eat them yet, although I think I know how to distinguish them from their poisonous lookalike, jack-o-lantern mushrooms. the only mushrooms I've foraged and eaten are black trumpets that don't look like anything else (they don't really taste like much either, although they have a nice apricot smell).

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

I've had a few very nice porcini harvests in my time, as well as chicken of the woods (or hen of the woods? i forget which is which why are their names so similar) and some chanterelles. that's all i know how to confidently ID in the wild though.

porcini are nice because they don't have any poisonous lookalikes, though they do have a non tasty lookalike (the bitter bolete), and they have a really amazing flavor. agreed that you gotta dry them out though because bugs. but they reconstitute nicely into a creamy risotto or pasta sauce or what have you.

boletes, the family porcini are from, have pores on the bottom and not ribs. between that fact and looking at a few pics of porcini i think it's one of the easier mushrooms to learn to safely ID from pics alone rather than with in-person help. the only boletes that are poisonous are really obvious red or orange (many of the rest aren't all that tasty but they aren't poisonous) (this advice is for north america, i know porcini grow elsewhere too but idk if they have more lookalikes elsewhere)

ty manifisto

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Manifisto posted:

I come across chanterelles in the woods here every so often. haven't got up the courage to eat them yet, although I think I know how to distinguish them from their poisonous lookalike, jack-o-lantern mushrooms. the only mushrooms I've foraged and eaten are black trumpets that don't look like anything else (they don't really taste like much either, although they have a nice apricot smell).

Chanterelles are the only mushroom I am confident IDing. My sister in law in your part of the world finds them up there. The important ID thing is that they have branchy, bumpy 'veins'-Jack-o-lanterns have parallel gills that are very thin and stand up. Also, jackolanterns will give you bad stomachache, but won't kill you or anything.

My best chanterelle harvest from a few years ago:

V. good sauteed with butter, shallots and a little garlic and deglazed with a little dry marsala and parsley

Also a pretty amanita muscaria DO NOT EAT:

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Finger Prince

What am I gonna make for dinner? Got a leftover chicken breast I'm thinking of making into like, tinga. But I haven't really got other stuff for tacos.
Maybe nachos? Got some black beans in the freezer, got white onion and Olives, can of fire roasted tomatoes. No guac or avos though, or sour cream. Could pop to the grocery store across the street when I get home to grab a few things, but any avos they have can be assumed to be hard as rocks.
Or eggs, could have eggs, some polish sausage, beans...

more falafel please

forums poster

Finger Prince posted:

What am I gonna make for dinner? Got a leftover chicken breast I'm thinking of making into like, tinga. But I haven't really got other stuff for tacos.
Maybe nachos? Got some black beans in the freezer, got white onion and Olives, can of fire roasted tomatoes. No guac or avos though, or sour cream. Could pop to the grocery store across the street when I get home to grab a few things, but any avos they have can be assumed to be hard as rocks.
Or eggs, could have eggs, some polish sausage, beans...

do you have tortilla chips? because it sounds like you've got the makings of a drat fine migas or chilaquiles

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Finger Prince

Could put on some rice then shred the chicken and chop up the polish sausage, cook that up with onion, garlic, Olives, tomatoes, beans, and mix that through the rice. Yeah might do that. Got some zucchini needs using up too.

Finger Prince

more falafel please posted:

do you have tortilla chips? because it sounds like you've got the makings of a drat fine migas or chilaquiles

I do have tortilla chips.

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
Morning my little goonlings, I hope life is treating you well today

because it's taking a big big streaming dump on me at the moment! :evilbuddy:

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

Chewbecca posted:

Morning my little goonlings, I hope life is treating you well today

because it's taking a big big streaming dump on me at the moment! :evilbuddy:

I'm sending you positive waves.
The waveform is symmetrical, so they should still work even if they get inverted crossing the equator.

Evil Bob

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.
I would not say it is treating me well as much as I am a mismatched cog in a machine that never stops, but when the teeth of my cog and the other cogs align right it can be pretty swell.

Chewbecca

Also that was meant to be steaming not streaming, but I guess streaming works too

I tell you what though, I'm keen beans for fall sigs, they're looking just peachy already! I love the fact that everyone's here is just so talented and I am also here!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Grouchio

Is this a good place on the forums to discuss election anxieties and brainstorm contingency plans/how to calm down/adapt to 2020-related stress?

I've been having a ton of that lately.

Chewbecca

Grouchio posted:

Is this a good place on the forums to discuss election anxieties and brainstorm contingency plans/how to calm down/adapt to 2020-related stress?

Not really no, I wouldn't think so :hmmwrong:

Chewbecca

Read the BYOB rules thread friend, now with fancy 'no politics' rule!

Ass-penny

Actually I think that chat is verboten in BYOB. Cspam is probably the folder you are looking for.

Chewbecca

However if you want to come chill with some cool goons in a politics free zone, you've come to the right place friend!

alnilam

Grouchio posted:

yeah as other said, not really, plenty of us post about that stuff elsewhere, like cspam or d&d or gbs, but BYOB is where we relax and try to maintain chill vibes

I mean there's nothing wrong with the occasional "ugh I'm having a bad day / week" post but we try not to focus heavily on world problems here to say the least, not to say they're not important, this just isn't the place

ty manifisto

Chewbecca

Don't want to harsh the vibe, man :snoop:

Goons Are Gifts

gently caress THE PRESIDENT!

of my local zoo, because I couldn't pet all the pets in time before they closed last time I was there. There were so many baby goats.

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

Grouchio posted:

While this is not the place where people typically discuss politics, I feel confident saying that many of us here share the same anxieties that you do.

And who knows? Maybe things will turn out well in November. Anything's possible. :glomp:

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Manifisto

Chewbecca posted:

Also that was meant to be steaming not streaming, but I guess streaming works too

I tell you what though, I'm keen beans for fall sigs, they're looking just peachy already! I love the fact that everyone's here is just so talented and I am also here!

the spoon thread displays heaps of talent!! some people might want a spoon sig, who knows? I already have an embarrassment of sigs but that sounds cool to me if I was looking for another!

ty nesamdoom!

Finger Prince

I ended up making rice and beans with the leftover chicken and vegetables and tomatoes and polish sausage and it's drat tasty, plus I got 4 lunches out of it.

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

Grouchio posted:

byob is the cool sand you can stick your head down into

you're looking for c-spam but it ain't gonna calm you down any

stay awhile, and chill :)

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

owlhawk911

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Chanterelles are the only mushroom I am confident IDing. My sister in law in your part of the world finds them up there. The important ID thing is that they have branchy, bumpy 'veins'-Jack-o-lanterns have parallel gills that are very thin and stand up. Also, jackolanterns will give you bad stomachache, but won't kill you or anything.

My best chanterelle harvest from a few years ago:

V. good sauteed with butter, shallots and a little garlic and deglazed with a little dry marsala and parsley

Also a pretty amanita muscaria DO NOT EAT:

re: chantrelles, they're delicious, plentiful, and easy to id by the gills like kaiser said. i'm all about em. that other mushroom was good enough for the alice in wonderland dude, boil em and dry em to get rid of the parts that aren't fun. no one has died from em since they started keeping track of that poo poo, worst you'll get is a bad trip and a tummyache. aka fly agaric

deadking

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I was lurking, but now I'm posting

xcheopis

All right, I'm goin' in. Pray for me.

Manifisto

xcheopis posted:

All right, I'm goin' in. Pray for me.

you must!

deadking posted:

hi deadking, thank you for posting! what's the haps? do you have any pets or hobbies you'd like to share? what is the last burrito you ate, and on a scale from amazing to fantastic where did it lie?

ty nesamdoom!

owlhawk911

deadking posted:

Lurkers must post
And posters must lurk
The best time for either
Is while you're at work

vanisher

deadking posted:

Nice

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I was posting, but now I'm lurking.

I've been too tired for real effort the last couple days. Wife is back though and things are a little more normal.

My work wants me to start going in full time Mondays and Fridays so I maybe I'll do more work poo poo posting.

Pahilla the Hun

Thinking about making a post

Think about it, make a post

Zurtilik posted:

I was posting, but now I'm lurking.

I've been too tired for real effort the last couple days. Wife is back though and things are a little more normal.

My work wants me to start going in full time Mondays and Fridays so I maybe I'll do more work poo poo posting.

the weather sure is nice here in these here parts

fortunately, i myself, work at the masturbatorium and they hardly ever (never) want me to come in the office

thanks nesamdoom!!

pizzaz plarpin perfect! thanks Tebulot!

Zurtilik

Pahilla the Hun posted:

the weather sure is nice here in these here parts

fortunately, i myself, work at the masturbatorium and they hardly ever (never) want me to come in the office

Weather has been pretty good lately. Should probably mow and yardwork while the getting is good.

Zurtilik

Do we have a discord or some way to more actively chat with the yobbers? I feel like there's a couple of you that would be fun to more rapidly chat with. But I also worry something like a discord could draw too much activity from the forums.

Idk.

Really Chewie and I are too lonely at 6AM.

xcheopis

We had blue skies today!

Manifisto

Zurtilik posted:

Do we have a discord or some way to more actively chat with the yobbers? I feel like there's a couple of you that would be fun to more rapidly chat with. But I also worry something like a discord could draw too much activity from the forums.

Idk.

yes there is a discord! to get on, pm brownianmotion I think.

ty nesamdoom!

xcheopis

Tanuki managed to fend off the brush but not before some small mats were hunted down and removed. Then there was petting and a treat!

Escape From Noise

Zurtilik posted:

Idk.

I'm here in a similar time zone

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Zurtilik

I'm in American time but seem to end up on the latter half of Chewie's posting mania a lot.

Escape From Noise

Zurtilik posted:

I'm in American time but seem to end up on the latter half of Chewie's posting mania a lot.

Chewbecca Postmania is runnin' wild in the forums!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

BYOB far side of the world crew

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!