Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

You can get absurd amounts from having lots of people of your dynasty, independent ruler or not. If you're expanding, just give every single new duchy to a dynasty member, and relatively soon you'll be swimming in renown.

ah yes, the Habsburg method

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
To that end, should I break my marriage vows and sex up a bunch of lovers and produce a veritable boatload of bastards, if I need to, say, strategically depose and/or murder all my non-dynasty vassals and replace them with the fruit of my exceptionally fruity loins?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
How do I explain to my wife that I was only seducing the second wife of my dad so that she would accept my invitation to court and bring all my half-siblings back with her?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

You can get absurd amounts from having lots of people of your dynasty, independent ruler or not. If you're expanding, just give every single new duchy to a dynasty member, and relatively soon you'll be swimming in renown.

Yeah this is what I've been trying to do, but it's also why I've kinda had to put the game on hold until matrilineal marriages are fixed for my female-preference/equal realms. On the plus side, modding the game is pretty cool.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It's true that you'll eventually get a ton of renown from just having living dynasty members, but it takes hundreds of years to get there if you start with a small dynasty. If you want to kickstart your renown gain early on, you absolutely should look to set up your dynasty members with independent titles.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Xanderkish posted:

To that end, should I break my marriage vows and sex up a bunch of lovers and produce a veritable boatload of bastards, if I need to, say, strategically depose and/or murder all my non-dynasty vassals and replace them with the fruit of my exceptionally fruity loins?

ABC

_____Always
_____Be
seduCing

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Broken Cog posted:

How do I explain to my wife that I was only seducing the second wife of my dad so that she would accept my invitation to court and bring all my half-siblings back with her?

Avoid the problem entirely by adding them to court the Godly and faithful way.

Abduct them and demand they join you as a condition of their release.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hmm, this chatter... now that I've basically reached the limits of where I can reasonably expand (unless I do some weird reverse viking strat and plunge into the jumbled mess of northern Europe?) maybe I should see about all these vassal kingdoms with non-Daura houses...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Strudel Man posted:

How do cadet branches fit into this?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

How do cadet branches fit into this?

They don't, really, all houses of your dynasty still count towards your dynasty. Cadet branches are useful for a few things:

1) If you somehow get out of the line of succession for the dynasty head (perhaps due to special succession laws on your primary title, dynasty head follows realm law succession and not your top title's succesion), you can slot yourself back in by making a cadet branch. If you're the head of a new house, you'll be in the running for dynasty head again if you're the most powerful.
2) Witch covens are based on house rather than dynasty

Maybe some other things I can't think of right now/am not aware of.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 15, 2020

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The head of house gets hooks on all children born into the house, and can call house members to war for free. Dynasty heads can call any dynast to war, but it costs renown.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Strudel Man posted:

Once I finish forming Britannia I think I'm just going to spend the rest of the game trying to put my dynasty on every throne I can with minimal bloodshed. My current strategy is to use fabricated hooks to arrange matrilineal marriages, you can sometimes snag their firstborn son. So far this has been working out for me but it's not guaranteed they will keep the throne for long.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

bees everywhere posted:

fabricated hooks to arrange matrilineal marriages

gently caress. I never thought about doing this.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Excelzior posted:

ABC

_____Always
_____Be
seduCing

Wrong; it's Always Be Cuckolding.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Does fabricating a hook allow you to avoid the tyranny penalty for revoking a title or is it just the personal opinion penalty from the title holder

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
I'd love to know what kind of fabrications these fabricated hooks are producing.

"Yea, Theodore, it be wythtn yon freedom to refuse to converte and recyeve the grace of God. But wouldst thine kin so approve if they beheld...this sketch of ye evincing biblical knowledge of thine village goate?!"

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Does fabricating a hook allow you to avoid the tyranny penalty for revoking a title or is it just the personal opinion penalty from the title holder

You still get tyranny. You need a claim on the county to prevent it.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Or the title holder needs to be a criminal

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

All landowners are criminals

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I thought of something earlier. Restricting the viking oversea conquest CBs to independent rulers could maybe help with containing the bordergore, while still giving the option to go for England or Iberia for the rulers if they so choose.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

How on earth does partitioning work as a norse in 867? I was playing as Sigurdr Snake-in-the-Eye and had 8 county titles on myself (and 2 duchies) and couldn't give my primary heir any of them.

Then when I did die of cancer it gave my heir one county that wasn't in either held duchy. I'm not playing iron man so I can reload and try something else, but it somehow seems worse and less logical than ck2.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I have no idea how you're supposed to hold onto more than a single county under confederate partition. Short of endless constant expansion hellwars so you have three spare duchies to hand out every generation.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Under partitioning you can never give your primary heir titles unless they're going to inherit them anyways. Your primary heir will get your primary top title, and the primary titles under that (primary kingdom, primary duchy, primary county).

Your other children will seem to try to inherit that many number of titles, so it's going to blow through all your counties super fast just to equalize it.

Confederate partition will break off to make new duchies and kingdoms, so you can't keep everything under a single title if you have the territory to create another one. Regular partition will not create new titles. High partition will attempt to keep all the primary land together under your primary heir.

How it splits it up after that is a bit harder to predict.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Xanderkish posted:

I'd love to know what kind of fabrications these fabricated hooks are producing.

"Yea, Theodore, it be wythtn yon freedom to refuse to converte and recyeve the grace of God. But wouldst thine kin so approve if they beheld...this sketch of ye evincing biblical knowledge of thine village goate?!"

"I art Breotenwealda, yet thou would lain with one goatte..."

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Is confederate what Ireland has in the early start? Because I haven't really had any troubles losing anything on succession (yet). Is it because my top tier title (Kingdom of Ireland) just automatically controls everything?

Like I'll start losing poo poo if I form Wales/England before I get the Empire of Britannia title?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Has anyone found a way to vassalise the pope other than forced vassalisation? The penalties for not being a de jure liege + base penalties just seem too large in total to be overcome even if everything else lines up for a straight offer (or maybe I'm just calculating it wrong).

:sigh: I want my antipopes back…

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Is it because my top tier title (Kingdom of Ireland) just automatically controls everything?

Like I'll start losing poo poo if I form Wales/England before I get the Empire of Britannia title?

Yes and yes.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Is confederate what Ireland has in the early start? Because I haven't really had any troubles losing anything on succession (yet). Is it because my top tier title (Kingdom of Ireland) just automatically controls everything?

I think most tribes start with confederate partition. But as you point out, if you only have one top title (and you don't have the land to create say, Wales) partition will keep you under one title. However, if you conquered Wales and kept them under Ireland, Confederate Partition will create the Kingdom of Wales and hand it off to a child when you die, if one is available to inherit.

If you switch to normal partition, you can conquer the rest of Wales, England, and Scotland, and as long as you don't create the top title, partition will not create those and split the Kingdom.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Confederate partition is painful and the most helpful answer I read to understand how it works is 'go watch a youtube video'. Great.

I have learned that the Claim Throne scheme - which is somewhat ridiculously available from the first perk (Meritocracy) on the right stewardship lifestyle tree - is just fantastic, especially if you're a tribal liege of a feudal lord. Become a powerful duke with a lot of prestige to buy yourself loads of men-at-arms, get a claim on your king's title, then if you want you can also feudalize during the war and hold on to all of the feudal counties you gain, dropping the now-worthless tribal ones if you're above the demesne limit. The minus side is... drat, raising feudal men-at-arms costs shittons of gold.

Anyway, before I stole the massive Kingdom of Bulgaria, my ruler was in his 50s and had gone through three wives and only had seven daughters to show for it. After picking up a beautiful 17-year-old wife, she finally produced.. twin sons. Goddamn it! Still an improvement over the absolute poo poo-show that would have been succession split between seven daughters.

The succession with the twins was not bad, although I'm disappointed that there wasn't an event to dispute which one was really older. The older heir was going to get the kingdom, the best and third-best out of four duchies with counties divvied up roughly evenly. But then a third son came along and hosed up absolutely everything. For whatever reason, he was set to get the shittiest duchy and no counties (???), and then the younger twin and not-heir was going to get much more than he would have originally. I don't understand it at all. I had to disinherit the youngest son as I was too compassionate to stand murdering him.

Never pick compassionate - it's almost as bad as shy. But on the plus side, it turns out if you murder your rival, the stress loss from having your rival die offsets most of the gain from murdering someone.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

megane posted:

I have no idea how you're supposed to hold onto more than a single county under confederate partition. Short of endless constant expansion hellwars so you have three spare duchies to hand out every generation.

Have less kids for starters. Don’t marry your heir off right away is a big one. The Restraint perk in the Learning tree is also helpful after succession is secure.

But yes if you have a ton of kids you DO need expansionist hellwars to be prepared to succession war your siblings after taking the primary title. The latter is honestly not that big a deal especially once you get big? The game will prioritize splitting off equivalent higher level titles over equivalent lower level titles so if you have spare duchies or kingdoms your heartland will frequently go untouched. Then you can just use your claim on the kingdom or duchy they inherited to get it and all the requisite vassals back in one go. Ez pz.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Broken Cog posted:

I thought of something earlier. Restricting the viking oversea conquest CBs to independent rulers could maybe help with containing the bordergore, while still giving the option to go for England or Iberia for the rulers if they so choose.

I think viking invasions need to be a whole different thing, more like crusades, where they win and it creates a new independent little realm, ruled by the victor or their champions or something. It's dumb that the vikings are going over hundreds of miles, "conquering" a place and then sailing back home so what, their new subjects are just gonna fedex their taxes overseas to them? If a viking does an overseas conquest, they should be leaving their old realm behind. Give them some event spawned invasion troops, to start them off. That way the game could actually create things like the 867 start, where you've got a bunch of new viking realms set up in the British Isles and Brittany.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

King Ralph of England (and most of the regions around), rules happily for 40 years, the greatest diplomat the world has known, every vassal loves him, the succession is sorted (despite those unpleasant rumours that his son looks an awful lot like a local baron), the other sons have been given duchies in Ireland.

Time for a quick war against the Norwegian King to claim back a couple of counties in Normandy inherited by him.
Oh, a close fought battle as the English armies land.
So close fought, that Ralph's son Richard is slain. :negative:
And then, 2 ticks in that same battle later, Richard's son William is also killed. :negative: :negative:

Ralph keels over 6 months later from one too many good parties (obese), leaving William's 8 month old son Thomas to inherit the realm. :ohdear:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tried my hand at William the Conqueror. Won England pretty easily but once I did the Norwegians already had 70% warscore because they occupied the entire north or England and even with Sweden and Denmark as my allies I managed to (just barely) loose two battles in a row giving them 100% and booting me back South to Normandy.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Tried my hand at William the Conqueror. Won England pretty easily but once I did the Norwegians already had 70% warscore because they occupied the entire north or England and even with Sweden and Denmark as my allies I managed to (just barely) loose two battles in a row giving them 100% and booting me back South to Normandy.

I kept getting angry at how easy you tubers made this fight seem. The strategy I finally went with was sieging the Isle of Wight and trapping Harold there and beating him quick before beelining for the north

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
my lousy kids keep on murdering courtiers and then my wife. i catch them doing some weird ritual and they confess to the murders, but i can't disinherit them without spending renown. it's definitely one of the worst flavor event chains right now and it happens way too often.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Hmm so if I have a fabricated hook and a claim on a vassal, I should be able to take that title with no real penalty?

And if they rebel over it they're considered a criminal (I am on High Crown Authority) and I can do whatever?

It seems like it would be a huge boost to have direct control over all of my capital duchy at the very least. Right now the other two counties are under a direct vassal and a vassal of a vassal

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Dallan Invictus posted:

Click the magnifying glass at the left end of the speed/date bar, select Lineage.

Ah dope. Wouldn’t be pdx without some rando kinda hidden button.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

i think of demons posted:

my lousy kids keep on murdering courtiers and then my wife. i catch them doing some weird ritual and they confess to the murders, but i can't disinherit them without spending renown. it's definitely one of the worst flavor event chains right now and it happens way too often.

I have never had that chain. I wonder if something is making your dynasty think of demons?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Oh dear me posted:

I have never had that chain. I wonder if something is making your dynasty think of demons?

You may be getting a witch to educate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Re: tall Bohemia chat:

Should I try making the kingdom title by expanding East? I feel having it would help getting better marriages and alliances. I guess I can always grant independence to that eastern duchy after if I want to go back to the original Czech culture counties.