Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

TTerrible posted:

We're fine, we just got Men of Iron.

neaden posted:

A character in black stone fortress, UR-025 who walks around pretending to be a loyal robot. They also brought back a zoat and some chaos guard so I love it for keeping out of production stuff alive.

Also, on the 30k side of things, the Dark Angels Ironwing just got the Excindio-class Battle Automata, which is actually a shackled Dark Age of Technology Abhorrent Intelligence in a giant killbot body that serves in that "Giant rage-filled killbeast that hates everything and that we keep just barely chained up and under constant vigilant watch, and unleash during desperate battles" role that Warhammer armies love filling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
If you think that is wild, loyalist armies can summon daeons in 30k now. :haw:

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Please don't inspire me

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

alexmac posted:

Looking for C+C for these smelly bois. These are my first models for probably a couple of decades and took me AGES to paint. This is also the first attempt I've made ever at basing that was more than just a coat of paint. Also only realised when trying to take a picture that the left dude had a slightly different green as a base coat, not sure which I prefer.

They look good! Your painting is super neat and tidy. To take them to the next level I think all that you really need to do is add in some edge highlighting on top of the base coat with a lighter shade. It takes time, but it really makes all of the detail and contour pop. You'll be really happy with the results.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kitchner posted:

There's big business benefits to simplifying your product offering. I really think in like 3/4 years time small marines will be no more, and they will all just be "counts as" primaris marines in the same way my metal cadians can be modern day cadians with the right bases.

On the otherhand it also makes sense to continue to support a classic model line that 90% of warhammer players have at least one of. It's not like the space marine roster has been shrinking particularly rapidly.

:shrug:

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 16, 2020

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
https://everylittlewar.com/ is a really good mdf company that has pages and pages of options. I've shopped with them a couple times before. They just tried to offer me a 20% off on an existing order due to the fires making it impossible to cut wood for a little bit.

I won't be taking it obviously, but I wanted to call them out as a really solid company that you should consider for terrain if you are in the market. I'm sure they're having a rough go of it in California right now.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Speaking of black and other colors. I really don’t like how edge highlighting actually looks. Am I the only one? I think it looks great from a distance, where you can't actually see the lines, but I think it looks kinda dumb and and very artificial up close. Like this guy:

Clearly really good technical execution of the concept, since it’s games workshop official painting job. I just think it looks silly when you’re close enough that you can actually see the lines, and I do pick up models too look at how cool a detail is or something, or just to admire the paint job. Edge highlights just sorta breaks the realistic look for me and makes it real obvious that it’s a model. I almost kinda prefer the drybrushed look, because it has a similar distance effect, but only catches the very edges. Even if it is considered a worse technique. I don’t know, I was considering edge highlighting for my Psian Jakals, whenever I get around to it, but I think I’ll save myself the trouble, and figure something else out. Doing the tiny silver trim is probably gonna have me go insane anyway.

E: just so it’s clear, I think the actual edge highlights on the metal for example looks good, it’s the blue lines on the power armor I think looks weird and artificial.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 16, 2020

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They give it definition, though. I think it's more about giving the eyes something with which to register the surface than to replicate how black looks in life.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Speaking of black and other colors. I really don’t like how edge highlighting actually looks. Am I the only one? I think it looks great from a distance, where you can actually see the lines, but I think it looks kinda dumb and and very artificial up close. Like this guy:

Clearly really good technical execution of the concept, since it’s games workshop official painting job. I just think it looks silly when you’re close enough that you can actually see the lines, and I do pick up models too look at how cool a detail is or something, or just to admire the paint job. Edge highlights just sorta breaks the realistic look for me and makes it real obvious that it’s a model. I almost kinda prefer the drybrushed look, because it has a similar distance effect, but only catches the very edges. Even if it is considered a worse technique. I don’t know, I was considering edge highlighting for my Psian Jakals, whenever I get around to it, but I think I’ll save myself the trouble, and figure something else out. Doing the tiny silver trim is probably gonna have me go insane anyway.

E: just so it’s clear, I think the actual edge highlights on the metal for example looks good, it’s the blue lines on the power armor I think looks weird and artificial.

It's personal preference, edge highlighting has been GWs go to style forever so it's popular with people who play GW. That paint job is 100% about looking good from further away than the picture was taken. At that point your brain merges the colours and sees it as a surface. To soften the edge highlights effect you could use more intermediate steps of highlighting.

Black is also a really tricky colour to convincingly highlight.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Speaking of black and other colors. I really don’t like how edge highlighting actually looks. Am I the only one? I think it looks great from a distance, where you can actually see the lines, but I think it looks kinda dumb and and very artificial up close. Like this guy:

The thing is that you can often have really stark contrasts in straight lines. I have a black PC case and if you look at it while standing up with the lights on, the corners are really white, they aren't black at all.

If you look at golden daemon winners or whatever they aren't just edge highlighted, they have realistic reflections of light blended into every aspect of the model. I also suspect one of the reasons a lot of golden daemon winners have big models with big scenes around them is because its easier to control that stuff as you have more room to work with and you can have light sources on the base and the colours that would be reflected on the model itself, which adds to the realism.

Really it's about how do you get a sort of accurate effect that doesn't mean every model in your army is a work of art.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Speaking of black and other colors. I really don’t like how edge highlighting actually looks. Am I the only one? I think it looks great from a distance, where you can't actually see the lines, but I think it looks kinda dumb and and very artificial up close. Like this guy:

Generally agreed with respect to edge highlighting, but maybe not to the same extent as you. The example you point to is an instance of edge highlighting being done very well, to the point that I like it. The painter must have been at pain to break up the edge highlighting, in that it's very obviously not just lines painted on.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Stephenls posted:

Also, on the 30k side of things, the Dark Angels Ironwing just got the Excindio-class Battle Automata, which is actually a shackled Dark Age of Technology Abhorrent Intelligence in a giant killbot body that serves in that "Giant rage-filled killbeast that hates everything and that we keep just barely chained up and under constant vigilant watch, and unleash during desperate battles" role that Warhammer armies love filling.

You forgot the best part you have to roll for loyalty or else it turns on you.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/09/16/core-units-and-characters/

So the new Marine and Cron dexes introduces a new keyword, CORE, to 40k.
While you'd think it's a replacement for infantry but in fact it includes other units as well. Such as Elites, Fast Attack and some vehicles as well.

What this means is that a lot of the aura abilities will only affect core units that belong to the Characters (sub)-faction.

Characters themselves won't be affected themselves by abilities that use the Core keyword.

Interesting move to deal with some weird aura loopholes and pushing Captains and Lieutenants to go alongside with the Core units.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 16, 2020

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Cooked Auto posted:

While you'd think it's a replacement for infantry but in fact it includes other units as well. Such as Elites, Fast Attack and some vehicles as well.

What this means is that a lot of the aura abilities will only affect core units that belong to the Characters (sub)-faction.

Characters themselves won't be affected themselves by abilities that use the Core keyword.

Interesting move to deal with some weird aura loopholes and pushing Captains and Lieutenants to go alongside with the Core units.

Characters not being effected by their own auras is a big change for some units.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I hope relic dreadnoughts will not be core lol.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

MRLOLAST posted:

I hope relic dreadnoughts will not be core lol.

I imagine they will be "Dreadnoughts are not core" and then in the iron hands next supplement it will be "Iron Hands armies give dreadnoughts the Core keywords!".

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

Huge nerf to marines. No wonder eradicators are so cheap. They’ll be a hell of a lot worse when you can’t reroll anything.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I mean eradicators are still great, since you want to outflank with them anyway. Have we seen a datasheet for eradicators that doesn't have the core keyword?

Aggressors would be a big loser, as would be intercessors.

Edit: They don't have CORE in the indomitus set, but neither do Assault Intercessors, which I imagine would be CORE. So this may just basically be "no re-rolls for characters and vehicles" basically.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 16, 2020

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It looks like <CORE> is a good tool for keeping a necessary buff from over-tuning special units.

Instead of making sure something won't hopelessly break one of 100 different marine stat-lines, they just need to check the core.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!
Big potential for Eldar Aspects and the P Lords.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Edge highlighting is really common in minis meant for tabletop gaming / really small-scale stuff and is a pretty much non-existent technique for competition painting / larger-scale stuff like busts, where it becomes all about insane Spaniards spending 300 hours doing perfect glaze gradients and oil blending and recreating the Sistine Chapel at 1/1000th scale.

Depends entirely on what you're after - edge highlights definitely look better from the distances that you're gonna be gaming at and help distinguish shapes so that your units don't look like blobs of color, but if you're not interested in the gaming aspect at all then it becomes much more of a fringe technique.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

akulanization posted:

Huge nerf to marines. No wonder eradicators are so cheap. They’ll be a hell of a lot worse when you can’t reroll anything.

I do agree with it being a pretty big nerf (smash captains losing a reroll?), but I could totally see Eradicators getting the CORE keyword - totally fluffy to have them being lead by a captain or LT, and they even mention things like elites or vehicles so I don't see why not

Quick edit: I also like the fluffy/listbuilding idea of different detachments or sub armies or something playing with CORE units - pretend Iron Hands get Dreadnoughts as a CORE unit or something

BaronVanAwesome fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 16, 2020

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Yeah I reckon if Terminators are CORE then Devastators and Eradicators will be.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I don't get the artificial / unrealistic comments for fantasy and 40k stuff. Just about the only people trying to paint simulations are historical and model painters for military stuff. We're painting obviously fantastical pieces and I think you have infinite artistic license to do whatever if it looks good. Painting your shadows in a different color isn't realistic either, but looks amazing when pulled off well. I'm violently anti-realism when paitning 28-32mm figured to begin with, the scale isnt large enough. Techniques like edge highlight and black-lining / panel-lining are ways to separate the separate elements that otherwise are hard to distinguish at the small scale. The ultra-close up views of models typically never happens anywhere other than the internet. Strangers and/or friends frequently ask to look at my models, but I never see anyone bringing it up to 1 inch from their eyeball. People typically don't get close than about 6 inches. With these smaller scale figure being viewed from such distances, it requires extreme techniques and gradients for them to register.

TLDR gently caress realism, paint extreme. 'Realistic' paint jobs on 28mm don't look like anything from 6 inches away.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Mugaaz posted:

I don't get the artificial / unrealistic comments for fantasy and 40k stuff. Just about the only people trying to paint simulations are historical and model painters for military stuff. We're painting obviously fantastical pieces and I think you have infinite artistic license to do whatever if it looks good. Painting your shadows in a different color isn't realistic either, but looks amazing when pulled off well. I'm violently anti-realism when paitning 28-32mm figured to begin with, the scale isnt large enough. Techniques like edge highlight and black-lining / panel-lining are ways to separate the separate elements that otherwise are hard to distinguish at the small scale. The ultra-close up views of models typically never happens anywhere other than the internet. Strangers and/or friends frequently ask to look at my models, but I never see anyone bringing it up to 1 inch from their eyeball. People typically don't get close than about 6 inches. With these smaller scale figure being viewed from such distances, it requires extreme techniques and gradients for them to register.

TLDR gently caress realism, paint extreme. 'Realistic' paint jobs on 28mm don't look like anything from 6 inches away.

Yeah that's pretty much how I feel about it too. Hell, the thing that got me into painting GW stuff was seeing John Blanche's minis because they were so completely different from what everyone else was doing but were immediately recognizable and looked really cool and "painterly." Yeah, they're messy as hell from a couple inches away, but so are Old Masters paintings.

I've seen a few people experiment with like quasi-impressionist styles and pointillism and stuff and it's always cool to see. All the official GW stuff is so homogeneous and assembly-line, sorta like what happened with MtG art over the years. I used to love flipping through White Dwarf and seeing all the bizarre Rogue Trader-era conversions / free hand / weird colors, but there's very little of that left now.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

...the thing that got me into painting GW stuff was seeing John Blanche's minis ...

Hey Same Here Blanche-buddy :hfive:

I've been watching a lot of Zatcaskagoon's tutorials on the 'Grim-Dark' style which feels in a lot of ways a hybrid between Blanche's stuff and the more modern stylized designs meant to look good at a distance on table.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj8X4YBgWcDQkPfqsLZJs9g

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Revelation 2-13 posted:

A couple notes to hit home what other goons have said and maybe add a bit more- edge highlighting is supposed to over-accentuate corners, but it is not to mimic anything that happens in real life. Instead, when seen from far it offers perspective and depth as a full opposite to shading.

When you deal with such small models, shadows that your eyes rely on are not pronounced enough and because of this you will have trouble seeing lines and shapes that rely on the occlusion of light from shadows.

To compensate, you draw these lines just to accentuate and trick the brain into thinking everything else is in a form of shadow. For TT quality it is often enough. If you form a sort of zenithal highlighting, it makes a massive impact.

I often think while highlighting grey, brown, and black that it looks dumb- until I see the end result. My only advice is to try it yourself- paint two identical models, no washes, and edge highlight one. No drybrushing. Then stand back at 3 feet and you will have trouble seeing any definition in the non-highlighted model.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY4TUCtyHzU

So GW just announced a 40k VR game, where you don't even play as a Marine but as a Sisters of Battle.
I honestly didn't expect any of this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY4TUCtyHzU

So GW just announced a 40k VR game, where you don't even play as a Marine but as a Sisters of Battle.
I honestly didn't expect any of this.

Yeah I just saw this and I'm kinda shocked they picked sisters instead of marines or guardsmen

Looks cool as gently caress though

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't know what I think of that trailer, but in general I'm just glad to see any 40K game where you don't play as an Ultramarine / some other flavor of Space Marine.

Like it looks fun, just... a little cheap / low fidelity

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Also tied up with Facebook if its only going to be on the Oculus. Which is less than great.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Sab669 posted:

Like it looks fun, just... a little cheap / low fidelity

For VR it's good.

Hell yes I'd play a Sisters game, but I don't have an Oculus.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't have a VR headset anyways, but is it Oculus exclusive? That's dumb. I could see myself getting whatever it is Valve calls their headset now, next year.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Mugaaz posted:

Some of my favorite local armies/painters are done in almost a cell-shaded style that look like they were ripped straight from a comic book. Unrealistic as gently caress, but visually stunning.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sab669 posted:

I don't have a VR headset anyways, but is it Oculus exclusive? That's dumb. I could see myself getting whatever it is Valve calls their headset now, next year.

Seems to be the case, yeah.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Stealing this from another chat:

“Heard joke once: Marine goes to apothecary. Says he's missing 16% of shots. Says 1s seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Apothecary says, 'Treatment is simple. If you go towards the ruins, you'll be within 6" of the Mighty chapter Master aura . Go and see him. That should help you reroll.' Marine bursts into tears. Says, 'But Apothecary…I am Chapter Master.' Good joke. Everybody laugh and then shot by Commissars. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.”

I think dude may be Ryolnir in SA.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I'm trying to figure out what to put on my Feirros Iron Warriors conversion up top since the winch hand broke off.

Thoughts?
https://imgur.com/WM2frxg

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 16, 2020

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Kitchner posted:

I imagine they will be "Dreadnoughts are not core" and then in the iron hands next supplement it will be "Iron Hands armies give dreadnoughts the Core keywords!".

I could see codex dreads maybe getting Core, but I strongly doubt anything from the Forgeworld books, especially relic units, will get it.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

JackMann posted:

I could see codex dreads maybe getting Core, but I strongly doubt anything from the Forgeworld books, especially relic units, will get it.

The return of Robert G. Because his 12” reroll 1s might not have the core gate applied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

That VR game looks pretty good to me. gently caress Oculus though. I was thinking of trying to get a PS5 and Playstation VR setup eventually to play Squadrons, it would be nice if this was available too.