Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

SpartanIvy posted:

Are wires just hanging out of the conduit or something? Typically the conduit terminates at a box that is sealed up reasonably well.

No, it's enclosed. Tentatively I'm thinking Dow 737 neutral cure silicone sealant, because it's data sheet does not warn against any plastic reactivity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

:toot: Inspection went well. Just need to add grounding screws to some metal boxes, and some steel plate behind two of the plastic boxes.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

SpartanIvy posted:

Are wires just hanging out of the conduit or something? Typically the conduit terminates at a box that is sealed up reasonably well.

That's not often the case with low voltage wiring.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Elder Postsman posted:

:toot: Inspection went well. Just need to add grounding screws to some metal boxes, and some steel plate behind two of the plastic boxes.

Did they tell you why they wanted steel behind the boxes?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

tater_salad posted:

Did they tell you why they wanted steel behind the boxes?

Yeah. 2x4 wall so the back of the boxes where the wires are coming out are pretty close to the outside edge of the wall.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

No, it's enclosed. Tentatively I'm thinking Dow 737 neutral cure silicone sealant, because it's data sheet does not warn against any plastic reactivity.

The listed product for this type of thing is cat poo poo (duct sealant) but a silicone sealant that doesn't produce (butyl?) Acid when curing should be fine too.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Elviscat posted:

The listed product for this type of thing is cat poo poo (duct sealant) but a silicone sealant that doesn't produce (butyl?) Acid when curing should be fine too.

In Canada we call that bear poo poo

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I've been trying to get an electrician out to open up one of our walls (it's sheet rock) and install some new boxes and outlets lately. For some reason every time one of them hears "open the wall" they ghost me or act like it's never been done before. I don't get it...is this an uncommon request?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Normally you just fish wires in from above or below and use old work boxes, you shouldn’t need more than a couple small holes to get the wire where it needs to be. Open the wall implies major work and/or some idiot used expanding foam insulation that needs to be dug out to make it possible for a cable to be pulled.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

El Mero Mero posted:

I've been trying to get an electrician out to open up one of our walls (it's sheet rock) and install some new boxes and outlets lately. For some reason every time one of them hears "open the wall" they ghost me or act like it's never been done before. I don't get it...is this an uncommon request?

yeah you can just fish wires through wall and cut a hole for the box with a zip tool or oscilating tool.

maybe just tell them you want an outlet added and have them come.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Can anyone throw some suggestions at me for wire runs for my overhead lights? I’m a bit confused.

Wanting two circuits - one with living room, dining room, office and one with bedroom, hallway, utility room. Kitchen and bath are separate and wired already. Living room, dining, and utility will have to be three way switches. I have attic access to all of them but the hallway - it’ll take some fishing to get to the fixture but I think I can get to the existing switch easily enough.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

skylined! posted:

Can anyone throw some suggestions at me for wire runs for my overhead lights? I’m a bit confused.

It's possible to both drill down from the attic and drill up from the wall boxes. It takes a bit of measuring the walls and making a map in your head, but you can drill down through the top plate to the existing boxes. Drilling up from below requires the long bendy drill bit.

Fishing cable into an existing box when the walls are closed is technically possible, but extremely difficult. It might be easier to remove the boxes from the walls. Drilling up from below requires removing the wall boxes. Now it is possible to remove the existing boxes out of the wall through their existing holes in the drywall/plaster. In normal home construction, boxes are fastened to the studs with 2 nails: one on top, one on bottom. What you'd want to do is stick a saw in the gap in the drywall between the box and stud and cut through those nails. A pocket hacksaw can work for this, but if you're doing several boxes, I'd recommend an oscillating tool. Release the cable clamps in the old box and maneuver it out of the wall.

Once you got the old boxes out, an old work box can take their place. You may have to enlarge the hole in the drywall/plaster slightly.

Protip: before you start, take the face plates off of the wall boxes. Stick a piece of painter's/masking tape beside the box. Mark the level of the box's top or bottom screw on the tape. You now have a reference for how high to mount the new box so it matches the old one while having a mark that's easy to remove when done.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

kid sinister posted:

It's possible to both drill down from the attic and drill up from the wall boxes. It takes a bit of measuring the walls and making a map in your head, but you can drill down through the top plate to the existing boxes. Drilling up from below requires the long bendy drill bit.

Fishing cable into an existing box when the walls are closed is technically possible, but extremely difficult. It might be easier to remove the boxes from the walls. Drilling up from below requires removing the wall boxes. Now it is possible to remove the existing boxes out of the wall through their existing holes in the drywall/plaster. In normal home construction, boxes are fastened to the studs with 2 nails: one on top, one on bottom. What you'd want to do is stick a saw in the gap in the drywall between the box and stud and cut through those nails. A pocket hacksaw can work for this, but if you're doing several boxes, I'd recommend an oscillating tool. Release the cable clamps in the old box and maneuver it out of the wall.

Once you got the old boxes out, an old work box can take their place. You may have to enlarge the hole in the drywall/plaster slightly.

Protip: before you start, take the face plates off of the wall boxes. Stick a piece of painter's/masking tape beside the box. Mark the level of the box's top or bottom screw on the tape. You now have a reference for how high to mount the new box so it matches the old one while having a mark that's easy to remove when done.

Thanks for all this but I’m more stuck on the wire topology. Physical access isn’t a problem - my house is plaster and lathe with no fire breaks and I can mostly follow the old runs for pre drilled holes to run through.

Wondering if this is a good use case for a star topology, running power to a junction and then branching off from there to switches or if there’s a better way to do it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

skylined! posted:

Thanks for all this but I’m more stuck on the wire topology. Physical access isn’t a problem - my house is plaster and lathe with no fire breaks and I can mostly follow the old runs for pre drilled holes to run through.

Wondering if this is a good use case for a star topology, running power to a junction and then branching off from there to switches or if there’s a better way to do it.

Stop overthinking it, just run power from box to box, if it makes it easier put a junction box above/below each switch.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

corgski posted:

Normally you just fish wires in from above or below and use old work boxes, you shouldn’t need more than a couple small holes to get the wire where it needs to be. Open the wall implies major work and/or some idiot used expanding foam insulation that needs to be dug out to make it possible for a cable to be pulled.

Guess that makes sense then. Yeah the space I'm trying to wire has no attic and is built directly on the slab - so there's no space to fish from.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Messadiah posted:

In Canada we call that bear poo poo

LOL, we call it monkey dung.

And silicone uses aceric acid for curing, it smells like vinegar. Silicone II (2) or Advanced Silicone II from GE doesn't, and is reasonably priced.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
https://twitter.com/TubeTimeUS/status/1306359385656946688?s=20

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Normally I hate Twitter, but that's a good read.

I worked as a telephone lineman in college and was amazed at how old poles, connectors, and hardware are. Demo'ing old lines was fun, you'd cut the 3/8" steel strand on one end and watch 20 telephone poles fall down like dominos. The only thing supporting some sections was the fact that they were still standing and anchored on either end.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

skylined! posted:

Star topology doesn't really work with NM. You run into issues with box fill at the star centers. When it comes to NM, it's mostly shortest route daisy chaining, running /3 as necessary.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kid sinister posted:

Star topology doesn't really work with NM. You run into issues with box fill at the star centers. When it comes to NM, it's mostly shortest route daisy chaining, running /3 as necessary.

The shortest route is black to bare. :colbert:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

If you're coming up from the basement or down from the attic where you can fit accessible junction boxes and not doing any wall demo, trunk it and branch off for each individual outlet. You'll only ever have 6 current carrying conductors in a box at a time that way and you won't have to gently caress around with daisy chaining through existing walls, which loving sucks at the best of times.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

So I know the code requirements for panel space inside but what is required outside around the meter and service panel? Same? We’re maybe looking at building a deck on the same wall our panel is on that would come up to the siding and the panel is about a foot above the siding - starting to wonder if that would violate code. Nothing would permanently be in front of it but it’d only be a foot or two above the hypothetical deck, and I’m not sure what is required for outside.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 18, 2020

Blackbeer
Aug 13, 2007

well, well, well

skylined! posted:

So I know the code requirements for panel space inside but what is required outside around the meter and service panel?

It's the same. I think the deck would be considered the floor, and there's no minimum height requirement for the panel, so you should be fine so long as nothing is covered up.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Blackbeer posted:

It's the same. I think the deck would be considered the floor, and there's no minimum height requirement for the panel, so you should be fine so long as nothing is covered up.

That’s what I was hoping. Thanks!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Hey guys, dumb question. I'm switching out a switch for a z-wave switch. The line power goes into the light box in the ceiling, and a 14/2 runs from the bow to the switch. The switch just breaks the hot, like this:

With this setup, I can't use a Z-wave switch. I can easily repull the wire between the switch and the light and replace it with 14/3. Then I can just connect it like this:

This way, in the 14/3
- black is line
- blue is load
- white is neutral
- ground is ground

EDIT:
Actually, it looks like this will work, and it's code for this reason.
https://mrelectrician.tv/light-switch-wiring-diagrams/

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 18, 2020

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Yep, that will work. The code changed for switch legs a couple decades ago. You can't repurpose the white wire for light switches anymore, every switch box now needs a dedicated neutral, even if it's capped off. That's for future support for fancy switches that require neutrals, like motion sensors.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

kid sinister posted:

Yep, that will work. The code changed for switch legs a couple decades ago. You can't repurpose the white wire for light switches anymore, every switch box now needs a dedicated neutral, even if it's capped off. That's for future support for fancy switches that require neutrals, like motion sensors.

Thanks! I have some work being done in my house so there's a bunch of removed dry wall, I'm using the chance to replace a bunch of old switches/wires that don't have ground with their grounded buddies. Just a question, some of my house is old armored cable, I can use that as the ground for smart devices, since they require hot, neutral and ground, right? Googling shows it's ok and it's not ok, so I'm not sure specifically. Electrically it works, though right?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
If this is a spot that might ever have a fan you might want to pull /4 or just add the /3.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

H110Hawk posted:

If this is a spot that might ever have a fan you might want to pull /4 or just add the /3.

I'm actually removing two NEW FANGLED LED FANs because the LEDs in them are terribly. The integrated LEDs are so bring it's impossible to manage. The dimmers don't dim enough. I'm putting in some recessed can lights, and replacing the fans with no-light fans. I think it will make the room look better. The already have 12/3 there, so but the light circuit will not be connected.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm actually removing two NEW FANGLED LED FANs because the LEDs in them are terribly. The integrated LEDs are so bring it's impossible to manage. The dimmers don't dim enough. I'm putting in some recessed can lights, and replacing the fans with no-light fans. I think it will make the room look better. The already have 12/3 there, so but the light circuit will not be connected.

Just saying it's dollars in materials while the walls are open.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

H110Hawk posted:

Just saying it's dollars in materials while the walls are open.

Man, 12-4 must be a nightmare to pull.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Man, 12-4 must be a nightmare to pull.

Yeah I wouldn't want to pull it, 12/2 was bad enough. If the walls are open though it's in theory easy enough to snake an extra 14/2 in there to be your supply, then use your /3 for the device and potential future fixture change out.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Spotted today. As a former commercial electrician, this pendant light leveling method definitely caused an involuntary eye twitch.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

tbh the first thing I noticed was the almost-swastika conduit

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
It must have been tricky using only white wires :hitler:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Nevets posted:

It must have been tricky using only white wires :hitler:

You almost got it

Must have been tricky using only white power cables.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Oof.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I was actually annoyed by the fact they knotted the pendant cords instead of appropriately shortening them!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

You just loosen the strain relief and connections in the base that clips into the track, pull wire to length, cut and tighten everything back down in those right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

is that ceiling sloped? The angle of the vent and wall art in relation to everything else is throwing off my brain