Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Cleretic posted:

Mine thinks that my interests include parenting, but that I'm not a parent. That I'm single, but interested in weddings. Truly, I am a paradox.

It also thinks I'm interested in ModCloth, which I've never visited, a specific marketing firm for some reason, and Bollywood films, which I've never watched.

I am interested in yard maintenance, despite not having a yard.

That's how it starts. First you start out just looking at yards casually. A yard here and there. Then you think "Maybe I'll just plant a few seeds, nothing serious". Then a year later you turn around and realize you've got 4 acres of crisp fescue in need of a trim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

mine says i'm a super buff poet who is very interested in cars, but only oil changes, fuel and lubricants

also nintendo, apparently I loving love nintendo, and i'm interested in the neighboring city but not the one I live in but that part checks out

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Cowslips Warren posted:

From the original trilogy, wasn't harrison ford the only dude who made loving bank? And now he hates anything about Star Wars or Indy Jones.

Everyone but Ford made bank. Hamill and Fisher got .25% of film profits going forward including rereleases and new editions and stuff. Alec Guinness got 2.25% and adjusting for inflation had made about 85 million dollars just for New Hope when he died.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So they got like $8m? Pretty sure Harrison Ford made more than that just for being in the Tom Clancy movies.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

theironjef posted:

Everyone but Ford made bank. Hamill and Fisher got .25% of film profits going forward including rereleases and new editions and stuff. Alec Guinness got 2.25% and adjusting for inflation had made about 85 million dollars just for New Hope when he died.

Guinness did such a good job in Star Wars. Shame he never made any other movies.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I went replied to a online survey that my most trusted brand is Rustoleum. That should gently caress their stupid algo up for a while.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pick posted:

I went replied to a online survey that my most trusted brand is Rustoleum. That should gently caress their stupid algo up for a while.

gently caress Rustoleum

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I find it interesting that Google thinks I work for a Large Employer (250-10k Employees) when I have been self-employed since 2003 and never worked for a company anywhere near that big.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Mine literally just has my age and gender. Which are correct. Does Google think I'm boring?!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Don't worry folks, starting in 2022 Google will be launching its new cookie data platform so itll all become much more accurate and way way more invasive.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Google thinks I'm interested in, uh, 174 categories.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

HopperUK posted:

Mine literally just has my age and gender. Which are correct. Does Google think I'm boring?!

Mine is just my age! But I did have personalization off for quite a while because I wanted to kill gendered ads.

Edit: that's my main account. I have a secondary account for certain emails and it thinks I like basically everything.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I had ads off too, I was secretly sad to not find a creepy AI profile of myself :sigh:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It does seem to be really sensitive. It seems to think I'm interested in golf, which as far as I can tell comes from two SB Nation videos and the one time I searched 'golf caddy' to find out if it meant the bag of clubs, or the guy that carries the bag for you.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cleretic posted:

one time I searched 'golf caddy' to find out if it meant the bag of clubs, or the guy that carries the bag for you.

Well?? Which is it??

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always thought it was both. Like a golf club is both the country club you go to, and the metal item you hit the ball with. :P

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

BioEnchanted posted:

I always thought it was both. Like a golf club is both the country club you go to, and the metal item you hit the ball with. :P

Nonself-respecting aristocrat goes to a club that only hosts golf. It's also a venue for weddings, high school prom, Republican fundraisers and maybe a bowling alley.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Bowling is poor-people golf.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I bet there's a scene in American Psycho where he clubs his golf club with his golf club and then tips the golf caddy

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

BioEnchanted posted:

'Both' is mostly right. Officially the guy's job is 'caddy', but people do unofficially call the bag a 'caddy', especially if it's got wheels or something to help you move it (it might be regional, but I don't think so). Officially the bag is just a 'golf bag', though, and that's the thing you'd have to search to go shopping for one.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

blatman posted:

on a related note, the location data tracker isn't super accurate either, it seems to think i'm going on all these wild journeys every couple of weeks when i'm in like hour 3 of a 9 hour sleep

wild meaning like, to a traffic circle then around the circle a few times then back home via a different route, i'm assuming it's just google trying to deal with junk data from gps satellites being made by the lowest bidder

What if you're sleep walking and Google is the only one that has noticed?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

BioEnchanted posted:

Bowling is poor-people golf.

No, that's frisbee golf (or frolf). Bowling is the poor man's shuffleboard.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/jsscaprmrth/status/1305822497028227072?s=19

Translation:

KING LAPTOP
DOES NOT SELL
chicken, catfish, whale infants(?), duck
We Do Not Sell All Sorts Of Things Here, Only Laptops

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It got my age and education right, but it also thinks I'm in a relationship (I need to stop talking about my girlfriend from Canada), that I like reality shows, and that I'm renting.

The rest is just general things like 'Restaurants'. Yeah I like restaurants, who the hell doesn't like any type of restaurant unless they have a severe anxiety or eating disorder

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Google thinks I'm a highly excitable Labrador retriever

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

oldpainless posted:

Guinness did such a good job in Star Wars. Shame he never made any other movies.

just posting to let you know I get and appreciate this

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Gort posted:

just posting to let you know I get and appreciate this

What? That Guiness was a celebrated actor before Star wars? Is that knowledge somehow locked away?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

Google thinks I'm interested in, uh, 174 categories.
This is closer to my experience, too. I've had ads off for ages, but I do use Google News and have personalized some stuff in there to keep it relevant (it still isn't always). This was a good opportunity to clean some of that poo poo out, so thanks!

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Google's ad thing is completely worthless. It basically thinks I'm into everything. Like cargo trucks, agro chemicals, retail equipment, that I'm single and only have a bachelor's degree...

I will tell you what is bad marketing, however. As a bit of background, I'm MtF trans (but it took me forever to admit that) so I relatively recently recently changed my gender on various things. Spotify was one of these things. When you do that, instead of LOUD ADS ABOUT MANLY BBQ you instead start getting ones about babies crying and baby insurance and baby powder and it's like, what the gently caress.

It's like women aren't meant to have any interests that aren't babies. At least the companies that advertise on Spotify seem to think so.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/AnnoyingYTAds/status/1306240137609707520?s=19

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thoughtless posted:

Google's ad thing is completely worthless. It basically thinks I'm into everything. Like cargo trucks, agro chemicals, retail equipment, that I'm single and only have a bachelor's degree...

I will tell you what is bad marketing, however. As a bit of background, I'm MtF trans (but it took me forever to admit that) so I relatively recently recently changed my gender on various things. Spotify was one of these things. When you do that, instead of LOUD ADS ABOUT MANLY BBQ you instead start getting ones about babies crying and baby insurance and baby powder and it's like, what the gently caress.

It's like women aren't meant to have any interests that aren't babies. At least the companies that advertise on Spotify seem to think so.

:same:

It had dogs as one of my categories, dogs!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Most modern gender stereotypes were literally invented by marketing, so not that surprising.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I ran the Ad-Nauseum extension for awhile on Chrome, and had all the tracking bullshit turned on for Google; instead of just blocking ads, that extension clicks on every ad it blocks. They had me pegged at the wrong age, and interested in random poo poo like country music and parenting (I hate country and have no kids).

Google banned it from their store, you had to install it in developer mode, but I don't think it works with newer versions of Chrome (the ones that disabled most ad-blocking extensions).

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

oldpainless posted:

Too busy brewing the beer.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Homer posted this.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Homer, son of Simp

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
Looking through my Google ad profile I get the distinct impression Youtube is a much more valuable tool in harvesting data than search history. It knows what kind of games I like, what car I drive, what pets I have and a whole lot of other miscellaneous things I like. Meanwhile all the things I can pinpoint to search data are obviously useless for advertising purposes, like oh yeah I'm a huge exchange rate enthusiast because I google what X sum in euros is in USD a couple times a week.

Also it thinks I'm into 'golf equipment' which I can only assume is it being confused about me looking at the Volkswagen Golf.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

My youtube watch habits mean I get targeted ads for $100,000+ warhouse sized pieces of fabrication equipment, which I always enjoy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just checked and google thinks I’m in my 60’s. I’m 31. :psyduck:

I think it’s from googling the medications of elderly patients a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

This might be obvious, but fyi dont correct Google or Facebook if they have the wrong data points for you. The less correct they are, the better.